Cornwall Football Forum

Goonhavern v St Austell

Guest Jim

Heard Goonhavern v St Austell was abandoned at half time with St Austell winning 2-1. Apparently the ref got in his car and drove off!

Anyone know why??? :blink:

We,Portreath that is,played across the road yesterday,I spoke to a couple of spectators who said the ref showed a couple of red cards & then got hounded by players from both sides then he abandoned the game...they said it was a joke....on the bright side we managed to get in the changing rooms & have a shower after our game.

good call baggie but there was no red cards or if you read this mornings independent, they would have been for Goonhaven and not the St Austell Angels, shocking piece of jouralism and very bias......... both sides were giving the Ref stick and I was actually in the home dressing room when the half time whistle went so did not see what went on as the players left the field but apparently he threw his toys out of his pram and said he was getting no help from his assistants and he didn't feel safe carrying on. To be honest he was that bad that he made Tim Reeks look half decent.... but felt it necessary to book our players but not the visitors for questioning his decisions, it will be interesting to see the Ref's report but I expect that the Angels will get the points

PS Hakey who do you playfor ?

Guest Sport Lover

It sounds to me from the above comments the players were glad to get rid of him?? Surely that cant be right? Driving a ref to abandon a game.

Guest Frodo

SURELY TO ABANDON A GAME IT MUST HAVE TO BE SERIOUS? DID ANY TEAM NOT HAVE ENOUGH PLAYERS OR TOO MUCH FIGHTING,SURLY IF NO REDS WERE SHOWN IT CANT HAVBEEN THT BAD???? IS IT NOT DOWN TO MANAGERS AND CAPTANS TO CONTROL PLAYERS NOT THE REF. :SM_carton: :huh:

Guest Frodo

AFTER 45 MINS,NO RED CARDS DIDNT LIKE THE WAY THE LINOS WERE PERFOMING AND THOUGHT DONT LIKE THIS GAME SO IM OFF.BAN THE PLAYERS THOUGH COS THE UPSET HIM :blink:

Guest Frodo

WERE YOU? JUST MAKING MY OPINION KNOWN OR ARE YOU THE NLY ONE ALOWED TO DO THAT? YOU ALWAYS HAVE YOUR SAY TO WIND PEOPLE UP BUT WHEN SOMEONE ELSE SAYS STUFF YOU GO ALL PRIM AND PROPER.I RECKON IF THE REF HAS A STINKER AND BOTTLES IT HE SHOULD BE PUNISHED AND THATS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME,HERD IT WAS 4 :SM_carton_y: SO IF HE HAS :SM_carton: IN HIS POCKET WHY WERE THEY NOT SHOWN?????? :wacko:

As I was not at the game I cannot comment on any part of what happened, but!, Frodo your comment "THE REF HAS A STINKER AND BOTTLES IT" cannot be correct because in my humble opinion to abandon the game was the hardest and bravest decision to make. So in no way did he bottle it.

WERE YOU? JUST MAKING MY OPINION KNOWN OR ARE YOU THE NLY ONE ALOWED TO DO THAT? YOU ALWAYS HAVE YOUR SAY TO WIND PEOPLE UP BUT WHEN SOMEONE ELSE SAYS STUFF YOU GO ALL PRIM AND PROPER.I RECKON IF THE REF HAS A STINKER AND BOTTLES IT HE SHOULD BE PUNISHED AND THATS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO ME,HERD IT WAS 4 SO IF HE HAS IN HIS POCKET WHY WERE THEY NOT SHOWN??????

No I wasn't there, but that's exactly why it would be good to hear an unbiased view from someone that was there at the game, close to what actually happened.

Not at all prim and proper, but when I get told through an official source that the league is not looking very kndly at what happened and the ref was poorly treated, it would be good to hear from someone close to the events so that we get both sides.

I gather if you say you "heard", you weren't there either!

Guest Man on the Post

Dave, why does the 'official source' not post directly on this forum instead of using you as his mouthpiece? Presumably you had permission to inform us of their view of the events?

P.S. What happened to your 'warts and all' interview with a recent Falmouth player? Were you warned off?

Dave, why does the 'official source' not post directly on this forum instead of using you as his mouthpiece? Presumably you had permission to inform us of their view of the events?

He's not exactly using me as his mouthpiece, I think he was trying to tip me off that anyone posting on the forum should be careful what they write!

This is the official stance in the Western Morning News today:

GOONHAVERN LEFT FACING PUNISHMENT

Goonhavern are likely to find themselves in very hot water after the abandonment of their Carslberg South West Peninsula League Division One West match against St Austell during the interval at Reen Manor Parc.

The board of the League will meet on Wednesday to view all the evidence, which includes the referee's report, before deciding if the result will stand and what punishment is required.

St Austell were leading 2-1 at half-time, at which point four of the home side were booked for verbally abusing the harassed official, who finally lost his patience and announced, at the interval, that he was abandoning the game due to the behaviour of the Goonhavern players and management.

The official was persuaded to change his mind during the break, until the intervention of a Goonhavern official left him in no doubt that his original decision was the only course of action left open to him.

The League was yesterday studying the referee's report, and the statement of a League official who was in attendance at the game, both of which will be submitted to the Cornwall FA.

Serious action may have to be taken as referees do not deserve the kind of harassment apparently suffered by this official on this occasion.

P.S. What happened to your 'warts and all' interview with a recent Falmouth player? Were you warned off?

I lined it up. However I wasn't to know I wouldn't be doing the half-hour! The telephone number of the players were left by me, but I honestly don't know who was interviewed. I'm intending on listening to it tonight.

Anyway, why should I be warned off?

Guest Man on the Post

Because a club might not like certain internal matters aired. However if your didn't do the interview then I doubt if there will be anything controversial. :D

Guest Man on the Post

Point taken Dave, but I was wondering if a club would threaten to withdraw future cooperation with Radio Cornwall if certain matters were aired. :D

WIth regards to the Goonhavern incident!

Obviously a referee doesn't deserve to be driven out of the game (pardon the pun), but surely there must have been some reason behind Goon's verbal attack on him.

It annoys me with referees, at all levels, including Premier League, that they never have to answer any critics.

I know we need refs and everything like that, but also the players are there for the enjoyment of the game as well. I have to admit that when I've played and we've had certain referee's I've wished that I never bothered on turning up.

I also admit that the majority are good as gold

I wasn't at the game but I've played in enough matches where I didn't agree with the officials decisions, but I didn't have a go at him during or after the game.

The official in question must have a reasonable amount of experience to ref at this level, therefore, he will have been involved in altercations with players before without having to abandon a game.

after watching a lot of local football the amount of abuse the refs get is unreal not only from the players but the managers aswell, i hope that the cornwall fa act hard on the clubs in question and hit them with big fines and not point deductions as it will make no difference as neither side have got any anyway. its about time examples are made as the players show no respect whatsoever to officals unless there winning,

The officals of Goonhavern should hang there heads in shame if the reports in the paper are true,

Point taken Dave, but I was wondering if a club would threaten to withdraw future cooperation with Radio Cornwall if certain matters were aired.

Yeah, it's possible that a club could - but I always run the risk of that, however it shouldn't stop the questions still being asked.

In the past I did have one SWL manager who refused to talk to me on air, but we're fine now - a la Harry Redknapp! :clapper:

Guest Sport Lover

Ref critics are the officials who assess them not the players St Darren. If you think the ref isnt upto standard, report him/her in an official way. A large percentage of players have never reffed before, know all the rules, are not biased and have a good view of the game. I cannot think of any reason for a team to 'hound' a ref out of the game because they think he is poor.

Guest Dermot

Not the easiest job in the world Reffing or being an Assistant Referee,most of us choose to do it to keep a bit fitter and to escape from the missus on a Saturday afternoon,we all have different tolerance levels and for an experienced Ref like Chris to call the game off things must have been pretty bad.

It was only a couple of months ago that just about everyone on this Forum was up in arms over another Ref being assaulted during a game,makes you wonder just how close it came to happen again on Saturday?

So maybe until all the facts are revealed it might be best to let this one sort itself out. ;0) :c:

Sport Lover, I don't condone it by any means, and yes, he must have taken abuse beyond what has been known before.

I'm just saying that during my time playing, I've been called shit and a **** by a certain ref from Yorkshire, what is there I can do about that? nothing.

A referee certainly doesn't deserve the abuse that they sometimes get given

Guest Ronin

You could get your manager to report him St Darren. If it's during a match then surely there would be witnesses from both teams who could back you up.

Good luck for your little jog next weekend by the way :thumbsup:

I think next season when I'm back playing again I'll just try to laugh and smile with them!!

But there are a few that you can't even do that with. I was playing one Sunday game last season, watching the ball go over my head from back four to back four and I made a sarky comment to the referee saying "great football this isn't it?" he turned and said to me, "I'm here to referee the game, not enjoy the football" I thought, great!!! what is this about?

Yep, just 6 more sleeps till the gentle job!!!

surely if a referee is being verbally abused by players he can deal with that with yellow and red cards . if its a supporter or official of the club i thought the referee could ask for them to be removed from the ground .

But i do think as players we must remember we quite often have off days ourselves and from time to time so do referees . and as people have said on this site before if your unhappy with the standards of referees go and take the course yourself and try and improve the standards

Guest Dermot

Cheers Ronin,i might put you on my text list for Jokes,theres a few on this Forum already on there. :thumbsup:

I think I lost my sense of humour (only joking) when my Dad took me to the Hospital when I was a Kid to see if I could have some Wisdom teeth fitted. ;0) :wacko:

Guest plainmoor

Ha Ha just found out that the referee at teh centre of this debarcle is reffing the bodmin v newton abbot spurs on wednesday night.

good luck to both teams and keep yer mouths shut

I TAKE MORE NONSENSE OUT ON THE PITCH THAN I GET HERE ON THE FORUM, BUT IF A REFEREE HAS A VERY GOOD REASON NOT TO CONTINUE WITH THE GAME THEN HIS DECISION IS FINAL ON THE DAY.

THOSE THAT DISAGREE WITH THIS PARTICULAR SET OF DECISIONS CAN MAKE THEIR OPINIONS KNOWN AT THE PENDING CCFA HEARINGS WHERE ALL EVIDENCE FROM ALL PARTIES IS CONSIDERED.

I WASN'T THERE (WISH I WAS!!!).

ANYONE WANTING TO SEE THE MOST HANDSOME REFEREE IN CORNWALL THEN POP UP TO WADEBRIDGE TONIGHT.

I am officially elected and voted for as most handsome referee after an independent survey where I won with a majority of 21,785. (I would have got even more votes but my mum ran out of stamps!)

I TAKE MORE NONSENSE OUT ON THE PITCH THAN I GET HERE ON THE FORUM, BUT IF A REFEREE HAS A VERY GOOD REASON NOT TO CONTINUE WITH THE GAME THEN HIS DECISION IS FINAL ON THE DAY.

THOSE THAT DISAGREE WITH THIS PARTICULAR SET OF DECISIONS CAN MAKE THEIR OPINIONS KNOWN AT THE PENDING CCFA HEARINGS WHERE ALL EVIDENCE FROM ALL PARTIES IS CONSIDERED.

I WASN'T THERE (WISH I WAS!!!).

ANYONE WANTING TO SEE THE MOST HANDSOME REFEREE IN CORNWALL THEN POP UP TO WADEBRIDGE TONIGHT.

I am officially elected and voted for as most handsome referee after an independent survey where I won with a majority of 21,785. (I would have got even more votes but my mum ran out of stamps!)

is that because you wear a mask :lol:

This article from the Cornish Guardian sheds a little more light on the situation.

ST AUSTELL IN THE CLEAR OVER ABANDONMENT

09:00 - 09 April 2008

St austell Football Club have been cleared of being responsible for any of the incidents which led to their match at Goonhavern being abandoned at half-time on Saturday.

With the Lilywhites leading 2-1 at the break, Fowey-based referee Chris Stevens called a halt to proceedings in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League division one west game at Reen Manor Parc.

A statement from the Peninsula League yesterday said: "The league have received both the referee's report and a statement from Mark Hayman, league vice-chairman, who was present at the match.

"The reports confirm that up to seven members of Goonhavern AFC were involved in misconduct and the reports of their individual actions have been submitted to Cornwall County FA who, it is assumed, will charge both the persons named in the reports and the club itself.

"No persons from St Austell AFC were named on either the referee's report or the statement received from the vice chairman.

"Until the County FA have dealt with charges against club members of bringing the game into disrepute, the league must concern itself only with the actual match and whether it should be replayed, ordered to stand or awarded."

It is understood that of the seven people - some were players, some management - some said or did things more seriously than others.

Rule 8.3 of the Peninsula League's constitution deals with the occurrence and states:

"Where a match is abandoned because of the conduct of one team or its club members the board shall be empowered to award the match to the opponents ..... where an abandonment is caused by the conduct of both clubs or their club members the board shall take action as they consider appropriate."

Barry Cudmore, secretary of the Cornwall FA said: "Cornwall County FA is acting on disciplinary reports received concerning the abandonment of the South West Peninsula Division 1 West game between Goonhavern and St Austell on Saturday April 5.

"We welcome the Peninsula League's intention to support referees. When disciplinary action has been completed, the League will be advised and will be able to take action according to their league rules."

Referee Mr Stevens told Guardian Sport it was the first time in five years of officiating that he had been forced to abandon a match.

He added: "I have submitted my reports which is what I have to do. As far as I am concerned I dealt with the situation and I do not really want to comment further."

However, he said the incident had not put him off being a referee and he will be in charge this evening when Bodmin entertain Newton Abbot Spurs at Priory Park.

Goonhavern player-manager John Mitchell said on Tuesday: "The club can't really comment at this stage until we have seen both the referee's report and the league vice-chairman's statement."

St Austell manager Andy Ball declined to comment on the matter when approached by Guardian Sport.

St Austell return to Poltair Park on Saturday for a division one west game against Penryn Athletic (2.45).

Guest Ronin

The board of the League will meet on Wednesday to view all the evidence, which includes the referee's report, before deciding if the result will stand and what punishment is required.

Any idea what the result of the meeting was?

Guest Barbsy

Dave.

I was playing for Goonhavern in this match and I find it all really difficult to understand. Yes the referee in this instance was being questioned over his decisions by our players but at times St.Austell players were as well. 4 names were taken by the referee, some for decent and others for foul play (no red cards) but in my opinion i never thought at any time was he being verbally abused,certainly not to the extent the papers make out anyhow as noone was swearing at him directly and nobody threatened him. I can only say that certain things must have been said to him by backroom staff (non players) at half time as the first thing we knew that the game was called off is when we are all sat down in the changing room. After this point it became a fiasco as players started showering and the on/off nature off this game unfolded. I honestly believe referees do deserve respect as they do enable us to play the game we love but I think if Chris Stevens is being totally honest this abandonment was more down to what has been said to him at half time time and not by any alleged personal abuse by our players during the first half.

Barbsy's comment sort of fits with a clubhouse debate/rumour I heard last saturday that alleged the whole issue may be engineered as a way of Goonhavern exiting the league because the deadline for withdrawals has passed.

That doesn't seem quite right to me because surely the League decide on the outcome of this match but the county FA will decide on disciplinary sanctions?

Whatever I think it would be a shame because despite their lack of success, despite the cricket/football issues and despite the issues surrounding the match between Goonhavern and Millbrook at Reen Manor earlier this season I've always found them to be a friendly club with a core bunch of loyal older players.

Barbsy's comment sort of fits with a clubhouse debate/rumour I heard last saturday that alleged the whole issue may be engineered as a way of Goonhavern exiting the league because the deadline for withdrawals has passed.

That doesn't seem quite right to me because surely the League decide on the outcome of this match but the county FA will decide on disciplinary sanctions?

Whatever I think it would be a shame because despite their lack of success, despite the cricket/football issues and despite the issues surrounding the match between Goonhavern and Millbrook at Reen Manor earlier this season I've always found them to be a friendly club with a core bunch of loyal older players.

Are you saying that there is a rumour goonhavern want to be removed from the league because I very much doubt that is the case

a rumour goonhavern want to be removed

Even if they do - I can't see this would be the way for it to happen anyway!

Thanks Barbsy for coming on and giving your thoughts on the matter. Certainly from speaking to referees about the situation, they have all commented on the fact that the ref only showed four yellow cards. If things were that bad, why no reds?