Cornwall Football Forum

Hungerford 7 Parkway 0

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Not the start that Parkway would have wanted. 

Horrendous start. Not sure how you dress it up but unfortunately I did worry this was coming.  
I don’t understand the signing of Matt wright at all. Wasn’t good enough for western league  but suddenly  signed a day before the season starts as main striker for parkway in the southern league ?? . 
why was a striker proper striker not signed weeks ago. Carter another strange one all round was never going to work. 

the defence looks suspect and I’m not convinced with the keeper at that level. 

im sure Lee will be desperate to put it right. But you have to agree the squad is way to light and miles off the quality of last year  worrying 

46 minutes ago, Southwest football fan said:

Matt Wright... panic signing comes to mind. 

Managers all over the south west are worrying there is more where that came from! Money going to be thrown at players soon I reckon. Their squad isn’t on par with Tavistock or Mousehole in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

Managers all over the south west are worrying there is more where that came from! Money going to be thrown at players soon I reckon. Their squad isn’t on par with Tavistock or Mousehole in my opinion.

Bit early for panic yet, only the first match. Most clubs in this division have moved a lot of players in and out (with the exception of title favourites Chesham), so way too early to put this result in context.

I would say that 10 games is probably the earliest you can make a judgement on the respective teams and league as a whole.

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Horrendous start. Not sure how you dress it up but unfortunately I did worry this was coming.  
I don’t understand the signing of Matt wright at all. Wasn’t good enough for western league  but suddenly  signed a day before the season starts as main striker for parkway in the southern league ?? . 
why was a striker proper striker not signed weeks ago. Carter another strange one all round was never going to work. 

the defence looks suspect and I’m not convinced with the keeper at that level. 

im sure Lee will be desperate to put it right. But you have to agree the squad is way to light and miles off the quality of last year  worrying 

Smacks of utter desperation as did the Carter  signing. Ryan Richards on dual registration surely worth considering for games at home for PPFC when not with the ‘Point?  Crago playing centrally would almost certainly  be better Wright up front. At least his work rate and commitment to the cause cannot be questioned. In relative terms, in view of the league they are in / the challenge they will face, this must be the least well equipped Parkway side in years. I should add this was my view before today’s debacle. Hopefully they can pull together and respond well whilst Parkway ideally then plug some gaps with loanees. 

41 minutes ago, Tavi Fan said:

I was a little surprised that Parkway didn’t chuck cash at Liam Prynn to poach him from Tavi - not that I want that to happen. Stuart Henderson a very smart cookie. Great to see Tavi have a good pre-season. Hopefully another successful campaign punching above their weight again. Definitely something  you like to see. All the best Lambs!

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Smacks of utter desperation as did the Carter  signing. Ryan Richards on dual registration surely worth considering for games at home for PPFC when not with the ‘Point?  Crago playing centrally would almost certainly  be better Wright up front. At least his work rate and commitment to the cause cannot be questioned. In relative terms, in view of the league they are in / the challenge they will face, this must be the least well equipped Parkway side in years. I should add this was my view before today’s debacle. Hopefully they can pull together and respond well whilst Parkway ideally then plug some gaps with loanees. 

I was a little surprised that Parkway didn’t chuck cash at Liam Prynn to poach him from Tavi - not that I want that to happen. Stuart Henderson a very smart cookie. Great to see Tavi have a good pre-season. Hopefully another successful campaign punching above their weight again. Definitely something  you like to see. All the best Lambs!

Yes, agree that Liam Prynn would be a great fit at Parkway, but has anybody thought that he might be happy at Tavi? Keep hearing about chucking cash at players, but what if they just don't want to play for you? You cannot kidnap or coerce them. We keep hearing about a lack of loyalty amongst players, and how they would jump ship for an extra tenner.  Well, what if the players Lee has approached just weren't interested?

On the face of it, it's not a bad squad at Parkway, just possibly lacking in numbers and quality in a few areas (notably up  front). Parkway have stated that they're aware of this, and are working hard to resolve it

I believe there is a group of decent players there, and it certainly isn't a time to panic. Today's result just shows that you can only get up to speed and really bed new signings in when the real stuff starts. Hopefully it will be written off as "what could go wrong, did go wrong." As I've said before, leave all judgements on players and the manager until after 10 or so games have been played. Then it will be time to form an opinion.

Decent win against Gosport next Saturday at Bolitho, and it will be somebody else's turn in the stocks.

43 minutes ago, mockey jackson said:

Always find it funny how people on here are quick to slag off players like wrighty. Can’t imagine many on here had a better non league career than him lol

Mickey evans had a decent career to be fair but I doubt he be any use playing up front for parkway now. 
The point being parkway are playing at one of the highest standards around and they got a worse Strike  force then torpoint and helston  .  
still early doors as said but a top striker is needed urgently. 

The interesting thing is most respondents broadly agree with where Parkway need strengthening. They haven't as yet plugged those holes. The best starting XI is still useful, bar a decent marksman. I worry more about squad strength and numbers.

It should also be noted opening day results often throw up some oddities. 10 games in is when any league pattern becomes more evident.

In the same vein, I'm not going make grandiose claims for Truro's season based solely on their excellence on opening day!

18 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Mickey evans had a decent career to be fair but I doubt he be any use playing up front for parkway now. 
The point being parkway are playing at one of the highest standards around and they got a worse Strike  force then torpoint and helston  .  
still early doors as said but a top striker is needed urgently. 

Not sure about the statement about Parkway having a "worse strikeforce than Torpoint and Helston" is fair.

Think that Louis Rooney of Torpoint and Ruben Wilson of Helston are the only forwards from either club with a step 3 appearance or goal to their name. 

Messrs Lorenz, Richards,Damerell, and Shepherd are neither tried or tested within the Southern Prem.

1 hour ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Purely based on the score line , I would concentrate on addressing their defensive frailties first, rather than their attacking options. I’m sure Lee Hobbs will find a way, as he’s done it in the past.

Nobody wants to play for him now. 

players have seen him ship out Kyle Moore, Mike landricombe and Rob farkins to name a few in recent years. No player within their right mind are joining parkway if they are happy at their current club.

16 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Nobody wants to play for him now. 

players have seen him ship out Kyle Moore, Mike landricombe and Rob farkins to name a few in recent years. No player within their right mind are joining parkway if they are happy at their current club.

To be fair all of them players we at the end of their  time with parkway and parkway upgraded. The problem now is they haven’t replaced the quality that left in the summer 

18 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Not sure about the statement about Parkway having a "worse strikeforce than Torpoint and Helston" is fair.

Think that Louis Rooney of Torpoint and Ruben Wilson of Helston are the only forwards from either club with a step 3 appearance or goal to their name. 

Messrs Lorenz, Richards,Damerell, and Shepherd are neither tried or tested within the Southern Prem.

The only strikers parkway have are crago( not really a striker in all honesty) Matt wright  and a young 18 year old.  Would helston , torpoint or tavi swap their strike force for parkways ??? I’m saying no chance 

Parkways squad has not improved in the slightest this season (so far) they struggled at times last season and I can see them fighting for relegation this time round. before we start bashing the strikers lets look at their keeper!  Not cut for it at this level. The saying goes, only as strong as your weakest player. A good keeper outweighs a good striker. 

2 hours ago, teflon123 said:

It looks very much from the outside that Parkway will look to consolidate this season with a squad made up of local talent and then look to heavily invest money saved this season on players into a push for next season.

Great in theory, but the Southern Prem is not a league you can tread water in. If you're not going forwards, you're going backwards. 

A classic example is Yate, went from play off contenders with a 7th place finish in 21/22 to 2nd from bottom and relegated in 22/23. 

I have no idea what budget Parkway are working with, but I'm pretty sure the chairman and the board expect more than a season of consolidation. The attendances, sponsors and other commercial revenue streams will require this.

Assessing teams and the league after 1 match though is pretty ridiculous. 

6 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Great in theory, but the Southern Prem is not a league you can tread water in. If you're not going forwards, you're going backwards. 

A classic example is Yate, went from play off contenders with a 7th place finish in 21/22 to 2nd from bottom and relegated in 22/23. 

I have no idea what budget Parkway are working with, but I'm pretty sure the chairman and the board expect more than a season of consolidation. The attendances, sponsors and other commercial revenue streams will require this.

Assessing teams and the league after 1 match though is pretty ridiculous. 

Do agree with bits of that statement, one being you cannot judge a Team after just one game but some of the signings in my opinion seem to be a little lightweight in terms of standards played. For me, with the League as strong as it is, players need to be signed with proven league pedigree, just my opinion.

15 minutes ago, teflon123 said:

Do agree with bits of that statement, one being you cannot judge a Team after just one game but some of the signings in my opinion seem to be a little lightweight in terms of standards played. For me, with the League as strong as it is, players need to be signed with proven league pedigree, just my opinion.

Totally agree. In an ideal world, you would bring in players that are proven at step 3 level. The problem is (as eluded to before) there aren't that many around in the Plymouth/Devon area, and Truro have got most of them. We'll never know how many players were spoken to about joining Parkway in the summer, but both Lee Hobbs and Paul Wotton (and other managers) have spoken about how difficult it has been to make additions. The amount of trialists that every club seems to carry in the summer now suggests that they are all having to work harder at discovering buried gems .

I think to recruit "locally" for this level now there is simply no one close enough in terms of ability and geography, maybe Tavistock's squad. I'd predict recruitment now will look to the released lists from Argyle, Exeter, etc and find the next Ryan Law's and Finley Craske's of the world, and years gone by Shane White and Tyler Harvey were the same.

Parkway had a pretty poor start last season but seem to adjust to the league. The first game means nothing ahd a freak 7-0 loss is just one of them things.  and they will be much improved next one. 
The biggest issue this season for me compared to last season is the squad size and strength.  I know Lee wanted a squad of  18 and I think he way below that at the min 

injury and suspension hit they will be in real trouble 

Ryan lane is now missing a few games after the red card. 

Henry Wilson still recovering from injury and there 3 or 4 players who have played every minute of pre season without any rest  all ready as the squad so small. 

the argyle Loan  system is great but to an extent your forced to play  the loan players every week and just when they start to look good they can be re called. 

As for the budget I imagine parkway are trying to stay in the realms of being self sufficient so it will be down in the lower levels of that league and nowhere near enough to compete with Truro.  but still a good budget to entice good players. 

51 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

I think to recruit "locally" for this level now there is simply no one close enough in terms of ability and geography, maybe Tavistock's squad. I'd predict recruitment now will look to the released lists from Argyle, Exeter, etc and find the next Ryan Law's and Finley Craske's of the world, and years gone by Shane White and Tyler Harvey were the same.

Now of course the step 3 clubs in the area are competing with step 2 Truro, Taunton, Yeovil, Torquay and the rest for the players released by Argyle and Exeter. There is also now the increasing lure of "soccer" scholarships awarded by American colleges. George Spencer and Alfie Clarke, both let go by Exeter and in previous years who would have stayed playing locally at a high level, have followed this path. Believe that Plymouth born McKenzie Toms, released by Aldershot in the summer, trialled for Parkway in a game or two, but that obviously came to nothing. Think he's also bound stateside this autumn.