Cornwall Football Forum

Southgate have usually had a strong youth setup as well, but I noticed last season's u16s have had a crop all register for Launceston 1sts and Reserves. Maybe something Neil Price wanted to tap into at Southgate's expense. I'm unsure if there was a link between the Southgate adult and youth teams, or if Launceston have youth teams themselves?

That, coupled with the resurgence/improvements at North Petherwin, and Altarnun also being strong in recent years it must be difficult in that particular catchment area. 

We at Gunnislake had a friendly arranged with Southgate for this coming Saturday (29th). I had heard rumours that they were due to pull out so I messaged them a couple weeks back and said is the game going to still go ahead. They replied saying that it’s best we find another game as it doesn’t look like it’s going to go ahead. 
well a couple of days ago I got talking to a customer at work to find out that I was messaging the manager of Southgate and it was him! He basically said that because they can’t go up a division all the lads decided to find other clubs within the area that play slightly higher. Some went to Launceston seconds, altarnun, north petherwin and some went to play in the plymouth leagues. 
just a bit of feed back that I have had. 
it’s a shame that any team has to fold. Especially when Southgate have been going for many years and they have a cracking youth set up! Especially when launceston themselves don’t have one!

10 hours ago, countyman said:

Ok I’m confused.. they did go up a division to St Pirans 1… 

Maybe that's their peak if they're unable to enter Step 7 St Piran Prem for whatever reason? Not sure why though. Imagine they rent their pitch at the school still, but no different to Saltash Borough renting Salt Mill in the prem. Must be another criteria they wouldn't meet if they were to achieve another promotion place.

2 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Maybe that's their peak if they're unable to enter Step 7 St Piran Prem for whatever reason? Not sure why though. Imagine they rent their pitch at the school still, but no different to Saltash Borough renting Salt Mill in the prem. Must be another criteria they wouldn't meet if they were to achieve another promotion place.

Southgate haven't had a ground grading visit so I'm not aware of anything that would stop them gaining promotion. 

The intention is to visit all grounds in Division 1 East and West where we dont have any detail to establish what those clubs need to do to achieve Grade 8. 

Their manager stepped down but was willing to play, with the kids football he coaches it was a big commitment to do both. They also had a fair few players move away across last season and into this season so with no manager and reducing numbers they have pulled out. The youth setup is strong at Southgate and continues to grow however having youth in that level of football would not have helped as we saw with Launceston 2s last season when they transitioned that under 16s team into adults football. Maybe they might return lower down the pyramid? Some of the old crop of players that still live local have all moved to different clubs, Altarnun, Launceston 2s & North Petherwin 

No real links between Launceston and Southgate you will see some under 16s moving up there and some at other clubs including north petherwin.

Are there too many clubs in the area? I still haven’t got to grips with how many divisions sit below st pirans 

sadly lots of lads like the idea of playing football, but when push comes to shove can’t always commit 

i would imagine as you move down the leagues players commitment always decreases? Forgive my ignorance of lower leagues. Just an observation and I know a lot of work goes in. As a Cornish native there are places I’ve never actually heard of with reserve teams