Cornwall Football Forum

A Southerly Breeze - How Mousehole AFC Won Promotion To The Southern League

Thoroughly enjoyed this documentary. The bit at the end where Jake Ash says that the club "isn't stopping here" made me think that this journey has a long way to go. Step 3 football looks a realistic shout in the next few years. The club appears to be built on solid foundations, has sustainable financing and a large army of very dedicated and knowledgeable people behind the scenes. The biggest concern that I would have in the short to medium term is that the impressive manager, and a few of the players, get noticed by bigger clubs higher up the pyramid. 

Do  have a couple of questions though, when did Mousehole decide to seriously embark on this project and why? And, used to hear a lot about Ezra Chapman and the Edorsed Academy, are he/they still connected to the club?

23 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this documentary. The bit at the end where Jake Ash says that the club "isn't stopping here" made me think that this journey has a long way to go. Step 3 football looks a realistic shout in the next few years. The club appears to be built on solid foundations, has sustainable financing and a large army of very dedicated and knowledgeable people behind the scenes. The biggest concern that I would have in the short to medium term is that the impressive manager, and a few of the players, get noticed by bigger clubs higher up the pyramid. 

Do  have a couple of questions though, when did Mousehole decide to seriously embark on this project and why? And, used to hear a lot about Ezra Chapman and the Edorsed Academy, are he/they still connected to the club?

Interested in the comment about "sustainable financing". How is this project being financed?  Not being disrespectful but it is not being funded by numbers through gates.

57 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Interested in the comment about "sustainable financing". How is this project being financed?  Not being disrespectful but it is not being funded by numbers through gates.

The caravan park and campsite, commercial activities and bar takings plus sponsorship from local businesses/individuals I would think. Just like most other clubs, I doubt the gate receipts even go close to funding the team.

On 01/06/2023 at 13:03, Way Of The Park said:

The caravan park and campsite, commercial activities and bar takings plus sponsorship from local businesses/individuals I would think. Just like most other clubs, I doubt the gate receipts even go close to funding the team.

Was talking to a supporter/ commitee  man several weeks back.He said following their southern league ground grading ,they have to make aprox £200,000 worth of improvements by 31/03/24 or face demotion.:(

3 hours ago, mattelot said:

Was talking to a supporter/ commitee  man several weeks back.He said following their southern league ground grading ,they have to make aprox £200,000 worth of improvements by 31/03/24 or face demotion.:(

What? 

I’ve only been to Mousehole once and the ground itself looks more than adequate? I’m assuming their is a potential issue with the access to the ground?

4 hours ago, mattelot said:

Wow, did they elaborate on what needs to be done? 

1 hour ago, Tavi Fan said:

What? 

I’ve only been to Mousehole once and the ground itself looks more than adequate? I’m assuming their is a potential issue with the access to the ground?

Would think it's the usual step 4 stuff. More covered seating required, larger changing rooms, extra spectator entrances etc, etc. Costs very quickly mount up though.

32 minutes ago, mattelot said:

200 seater stand,new changing rooms ,hospitality suite,and turnstiled entrances.FA grants are available towards it,but its still a hell of a lot of money.

Thanks, hopefully they can accomplish all that's needed. Be interesting following developments as season progresses. 

51 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Imagine the documentary if saltash had won the league........lots of committee members looking miserable and saying "it's for one season only" and we will try everything we can to get back down to the Western league.

The right "club" went up

You sound very bitter about Saltash in all your posts, are you ok? 

16 minutes ago, quiksilver said:

You sound very bitter about Saltash in all your posts, are you ok? 

Do I? Yeh I could have made it at saltash but I had an injury before my debut game and went into oblivion and have never forgiven them 🤣

Just wasted 3 mins of my life looking for a recent critical post about saltash from me?

Interested to read the insights of Mousehole’s undercover “supporter / committee man” with his inside knowledge of the £200k bill to upgrade Trungle Parc. Only a shame that he’s anonymous really - I’d love to hear more - amazing what you can learn from unnamed people on the internet. 

Whilst we await further thoughts from Mousehole’s very own Deep Throat, Club Sec Andrew Large was interviewed by the Non League HQ website a few days ago: 

https://nonleaguehq.wixsite.com/nlhq/post/getting-to-know-mousehole-afc