Cornwall Football Forum

Last Ever Duchy League Div 1 Winners

FOXHOLE RES    2            Lee Whetter 20’   Charlie Jones 43(p)’

PENSILVA     2                    Ben Collins 30’     Sam Rogers 37’

REF:   Dale England 👏🏼👍

Pensilva went into this final game of the season a point behind Calstock but with a lot better goal difference so basically knowing a win or draw would give them the title on a baking hot 23c day for the players. With the Calstock players in attendance amongst a 60+ crowd the 1st half produced an end to end cracking game of football with 5th placed Foxhole pushing the visitors all the way and doing Calstock proud.

The two defences included famous old centre halves Lee Whetter and Tom Chambers both had trophy laden careers in the SWPL and the visitors defence included current Liskeard captain Dylan Peel a colossus of a bloke and blues midfielder Ben Collins plus others to be fair on either team all above board and within the rules! Might be a different story next season though with new league set up!? 

As it turned out all the action was basically confined to the 1st half with Foxhole taking the lead from a corner, Whetts crashing home the loose ball before a purple ten minute Pensilva spell saw Collins equalise on the half hour mark and top scorer Sam Rogers put them ahead with a good finish into the bottom corner 7 minutes later. There was still time for a Foxhole equaliser just before the break after excellent ref Mr Dale England spotted a foul in the area. Charlie Jones mishit his spot kick into the ground but it was on target and did enough to go in.

There was one massive scare for Pensilva 8 minutes from time when Foxes sub Dave Grose struck a superb volley from 20 yards against the inside of the post but they did enough in the 2nd half to hold on after having the best two chances denied by the home keeper before going on to pick up the trophy to pip Calstock for the title in what has been an exciting division in its last season, good that it went down to the wire. Congrats to Pensilva, and farewell to the Duchy league along with the Trelawny, East Cornwall and Combination leagues and hopefully good times ahead for the new St Piran East & West Divisions and plenty of good football in the future.

Hi Fenman!!  Hope you’re well mate. Was born before 1970 but would have just been out of nappies around that time!! Got to thank a wonderful Richard Lander School Truro for my English, even though I was stood outside the door by the end of most lessons!!! 😂😂. Liked a laugh a bit too much and just wanted to be outside playing football, rugby or tennis!! Surprised I learnt anything really! Great days though! 😂👍 

5 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Hi Fenman!!  Hope you’re well mate. Was born before 1970 but would have just been out of nappies around that time!! Got to thank a wonderful Richard Lander School Truro for my English, even though I was stood outside the door by the end of most lessons!!! 😂😂. Liked a laugh a bit too much and just wanted to be outside playing football, rugby or tennis!! Surprised I learnt anything really! Great days though! 😂👍 

You were well schooled into to being a credit to your parents Mark.A humble,respected,knowledgeable and thoroughly nice person.Proud to call you a friend as are so many others.Take care matey and love to Rach.  

Thanks Nige, appreciate it, likewise mate! Never heard a bad word said about you! And that’s some achievement for a former referee! 😁👍👏🏼  Me dear old mum used to say treat people how you want to be treated yourself and expect nothing, appreciate everything! Tried to stick to that the best I could through life mate!? Not always managed it I must admit!  🤔😔 I like Jethro’s live every day as if it’s your last cos one day it will be!! 😂😂👍 Long time no see Nige, hopefully catch you at a game sometime, somewhere!? All the best mate 👍

Thanks Rappo , I'm fit and well . Your'e obviously well thought of  both as a legendary  player  and person  with  wonderful outlook on life . Mums always gave good advice , mine certainly did , although I didn't realise it at the time . One thing my mother constantly went on about was keeping your back covered in cold weather , Yeah , Yeah . Some years later I was digging some strawberry plants up in a cold  Northly wind ( straight from the North Pole here in Norfolk )  before a Cup Semi final in the afternoon , I was wearing a short shirt  riding up at the back . I jumped in the car drove to the pitch , went to get out and couldn't move , my back had seized . There was no way I could play  and we had no subs we lost and I was crippled up for months with trapped muscles . A lesson learned " listen to Mum " I dar'nt tell her what had happened ( although I was almost a grown up at 30 ) because I'd have got a lecture . As Cloughie used to tell his players " always respect Mum you only have one " .

Apologies Dave Deacon for wandering off the subject .