Cornwall Football Forum

Paul Wotton

Hows he done?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Has Paul Wotton met expectations

• Yes
    • No

So we're now 3 seasons in and looks like Truro will be staying in the Southern Prem, unless they win through the playoffs. Considering the budget, the players he's had at his disposal, the poor performance in the FA Cup in particular, the links to clubs at a higher level in the pyramid/bringing in loans, has the manager underperformed?

There are of course extenuating circumstances, Truro were almost up 3 years ago when covid hit, they have not had any home games for the past 2 years and this season they've run into a well-funded WSM team who are destined to give the Conference South teams a bit of an awakening next season.

For me, his post-match interviews tend to be pretty bland and samey, fairly uninspiring. The tactics rely heavily on the front two and Sully being on their game and we're lucky that we have one of the best keepers in the division. When taken in relation to the relative success that Hodges had with a lesser group of players I can't shake the nagging feeling that Truro should be doing better.

So Truro, and non-Truro fans how's the main man done?

Haven't got the stats to hand, hopefully someone else has, but Truro's season tailing off quite badly last season led to some pretty extraordinary public comments from Paul Wotton regarding his players. Made myself, and others, think he would walk away last summer. Was obviously backed very heavily by the club and, on paper, looked like he strengthened the squad considerably with good signings being made ( 2 from champions Taunton), and key people being retained. Also used the loan system well (Adam Porter from Salford in particular looked a very acquisition). Do wonder what he sees in Ed Palmer and Matt Wright though, both look very slow and out of place in the side. Agree with your point about Danny Sullivan, have seen City a few times this season (both with and without him) when he is playing and on form the team clicks. When he doesn't, they look average. Tyler Harvey, for all his undoubted talent, can be a bit anonymous and remind you of the reasons why he isn't playing league 2 or step 1 football.

Even allowing for the strength of this league I would say yes, he is underachieving. They should be closer to Weston, and look in danger of losing that vital 2nd place (and home tie in the play offs) to Bracknell. If they don't get up this time around, will the club back Wotton in much the same way for another big tilt at in 2023/24 (and will he have the same appetite), to get the locals back in Truro enthused about a hoped for homecoming in 2024/25. It never gets any easier in this league though, I would think that Plymouth Parkway (to name just one) will get a lot closer to Truro next season (whether it is by tempting a few players to switch over from all white to yellow and blue, we shall see).

6 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Stand to be corrected WOTP but I think 2nd and 3rd are home in the play offs, against 4th and 5th, the away teams? Hope you’re keeping well mate 👍

Yes, you are right. Truro will want to avoid bogey side Chesham though. The higher finishing side will get a home draw in the play off final, which will be vital.

I’m pretty sure that the position of the top two teams reflect the money spent on the respective sides. I would settle for 2nd place and hope that Truro can get promotion via the play offs. Not sure I know of a a manager that Truro could have called upon and would have done a better job than Paul. The players must miss the atmosphere of Treyew Road during those heady days when Yetsie was playing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...