Cornwall Football Forum

Include Tavi in SL Results please? A bit of Parkway comment too!

When listing results can we include Tavi? A great achievement for the Lambs to be playing at this level. Yes, I know Tavi is in Devon, but you include that Janner team in the mix. Tin Hat on. That said, maybe don’t as recent results have been pretty flaky. A time of rebuilding at Langsford Park.

As for Parkway, it may not be a bad thing that their inexorable rise has been trimmed a little. Now they are coming up against other well (and better) resourced clubs and a very competitive standard of football. Overall they are improving steadily, so nothing for PPFC fans to be disheartened about. Bolitho Park still a very hard place to win at too. I’m sure longer standing fans have a good perspective on their progress, but newer fans brought up on a diet of never ending success may not.

52 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

When listing results can we include Tavi? A great achievement for the Lambs to be playing at this level. Yes, I know Tavi is in Devon, but you include that Janner team in the mix. Tin Hat on. That said, maybe don’t as recent results have been pretty flaky. A time of rebuilding at Langsford Park.

As for Parkway, it may not be a bad thing that their inexorable rise has been trimmed a little. Now they are coming up against other well (and better) resourced clubs and a very competitive standard of football. Overall they are improving steadily, so nothing for PPFC fans to be disheartened about. Bolitho Park still a very hard place to win at too. I’m sure longer standing fans have a good perspective on their progress, but newer fans brought up on a diet of never ending success may not.

I say this as a 100% supportive comment rather than a negative one. If no one else is regularly posting SLD1S fixtures and results to the Forum but you’d like to see them then I have no doubt you’d be thanked and applauded for adding to the richness of the Forum if you posted them yourself rather than adding to Dave D’s workload. And given that next season we’re going to see either Saltash Utd or Mousehole or both in that Division you’ll have been ahead of the curve. Go for it 👍

53 minutes ago, THE BALD ONE said:

Those cold dark evening games in the depths of Camelford , in front of a 40 crowd lol. 

The long standing fans of PPFC are great. A small number of anecdotal examples of poor behaviour I’ve seen / experienced put me off Parkway a bit. Usually the poor form  is from Stone Island wannabes whose really attachment is to Argyle.  The ground is great now. Good gates and atmosphere usually. So much achieved. I do wonder what would happen though if your Chairman loses interest. How sustainable is the whole project? I think NLS will end up being your level before too long. Ambition is good if longer term future of the club is always paramount. The journey has some mileage to run before you reach your destination!

5 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

I say this as a 100% supportive comment rather than a negative one. If no one else is regularly posting SLD1S fixtures and results to the Forum but you’d like to see them then I have no doubt you’d be thanked and applauded for adding to the richness of the Forum if you posted them yourself rather than adding to Dave D’s workload. And given that next season we’re going to see either Saltash Utd or Mousehole or both in that Division you’ll have been ahead of the curve. Go for it 👍

Very fair point Gary. In my defence I do post quite prolifically. The CFF is a fabulous resource to have, as is the podcast, huge respect to  Dave Deacon!

5 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Setting aside yesterday's result, Parkway should (barring a major end of season collapse), be playing step 3 football again next season. To my mind, this is as big an achievement for Lee Hobbs as anything he has done previously.  Where next is interesting, to get to the next level of being play off contenders will probably need a further upgrade of the squad in terms of numbers and quality (which will require ££££). Mark Russell (Parkway Chairman) is on record from October 2017 as saying that he believes the club (and city) can sustain step 2 football. I expect he would have a long term strategy in place to deliver this. 

Have to say, I do worry for Tavi slightly. Stuart Henderson has worked miracles in getting them to step 4 (and making them competitive and on the fringes of the play offs), but there has been the loss of a few stalwarts of the club as well as changes off the field. Their gates are poor for this level, and I do hope they haven't over reached. Could be a club to watch in the summer with regards to arrivals and departures, especially with 1 (or possibly 2) Cornish clubs competing with them for Southern League ready players. 

5 hours ago, THE BALD ONE said:

Those cold dark evening games in the depths of Camelford , in front of a 40 crowd lol. 

Bideford at home in the St Lukes Bowl, winter of 2012/13, coldest I think I have ever been (not just at a football match). Pretty sure that sub Lance Bailey had a hot water bottle underneath his tracksuit top that night (and had to be manhandled on to the pitch when a change was made).

Myself, the Bald One, and about 50 others bothered that night.

5 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Setting aside yesterday's result, Parkway should (barring a major end of season collapse), be playing step 3 football again next season. To my mind, this is as big an achievement for Lee Hobbs as anything he has done previously.  Where next is interesting, to get to the next level of being play off contenders will probably need a further upgrade of the squad in terms of numbers and quality (which will require ££££). Mark Russell (Parkway Chairman) is on record from October 2017 as saying that he believes the club (and city) can sustain step 2 football. I expect he would have a long term strategy in place to deliver this. 

Have to say, I do worry for Tavi slightly. Stuart Henderson has worked miracles in getting them to step 4 (and making them competitive and on the fringes of the play offs), but there has been the loss of a few stalwarts of the club as well as changes off the field. Their gates are poor for this level, and I do hope they haven't over reached. Could be a club to watch in the summer with regards to arrivals and departures, especially with 1 (or possibly 2) Cornish clubs competing with them for Southern League ready players. 

Bideford at home in the St Lukes Bowl, winter of 2012/13, coldest I think I have ever been (not just at a football match). Pretty sure that sub Lance Bailey had a hot water bottle underneath his tracksuit top that night (and had to be manhandled on to the pitch when a change was made).

Myself, the Bald One, and about 50 others bothered that night.

Spot on re Parkway and Tavi WOTP.

The merry-go-round on and off the field is concerning at Tavi. It’s largely a new side now, as yet unproved at Step 4. I do trust Stuart Henderson, but he isn’t a miracle worker. Worse still, Tavi are on a poor run ATM. It’s good job a good points haul recorded earlier in the season to offset current issues.

I was at Saltash yesterday - top of the WL table and only 109 there. Issues behind the scenes have been well commented on elsewhere! I can see them refusing promotion. If it’s 109 when top of the table what would a season of struggle in the Southern League yield, were that to happen? 

Mousehole would be fine and, once adjusted to higher level, so would Bridgwater too. 

Until I posted yesterday, there were only two results in the "results" thread  for this part of the forum. I added the rest in another post.

Remember the old adage, "if you want something doing, do it yourself". So I've had a bit of a radical idea. How about... *dramatic pause* ...you do it yourself... 😱 

Parkway are pretty self sufficient. Lots of very good sponsors on board , great club house that is used for hire ,healthy crowds. Match day sponsors area. Players on reasonable money for that standard. I think they be fine . 
Tavistock on the other hand I’m not sure what their limit is. ?  The interest in the team doesn’t seem to be there in the local community I know the club try hard but crowds are poor. Henderson has  done extremely well at the club and I actually don’t know what would happen to the club  if he left,  but I get the impression this season has been difficult squad wise. Lots of local players gone and loans come in. Even the lad parry signed as the next exciting player loaned to Saltash as he not getting game time. 
next season will be the interesting one. 

18 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

The merry-go-round on and off the field is concerning at Tavi. It’s largely a new side now, as yet unproved at Step 4. I do trust Stuart Henderson, but he isn’t a miracle worker. Worse still, Tavi are on a poor run ATM. It’s good job a good points haul recorded earlier in the season to offset current issues.

I was at Saltash yesterday - top of the WL table and only 109 there. Issues behind the scenes have been well commented on elsewhere! I can see them refusing promotion. If it’s 109 when top of the table what would a season of struggle in the Southern League yield, were that to happen? 

Mousehole would be fine and, once adjusted to higher level, so would Bridgwater too. 

What would happen to Saltash if they refused promotion?

19 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Worst scenario is demotion I believe!

Another of the FA’s hollow threats, I expect. A bit like conforming to ground grading within 1/2/3 years. Dispensation after dispensation makes them look weak.

55 minutes ago, baldy said:

Another of the FA’s hollow threats, I expect. A bit like conforming to ground grading within 1/2/3 years. Dispensation after dispensation makes them look weak.

Didn't Shortwood get demoted several years ago for refusing promotion from the Hellenic League to the Southern League? 

8 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Parkway are pretty self sufficient. Lots of very good sponsors on board , great club house that is used for hire ,healthy crowds. Match day sponsors area. Players on reasonable money for that standard. I think they be fine . 
Tavistock on the other hand I’m not sure what their limit is. ?  The interest in the team doesn’t seem to be there in the local community I know the club try hard but crowds are poor. Henderson has  done extremely well at the club and I actually don’t know what would happen to the club  if he left,  but I get the impression this season has been difficult squad wise. Lots of local players gone and loans come in. Even the lad parry signed as the next exciting player loaned to Saltash as he not getting game time. 
next season will be the interesting one. 

One of struggle possibly, unless Henderson pulls yet some more rabbits out of the hat. Squad seems in a state of flux. I wasn't happy to see Watson and Robins go. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade some of the newer players are. Of course, to expect former SWPL players to all rise to SL football, despite being a committed core for some years, was always going to come up short eventually. I think Henderson knows the limitations of the playing squad. It is essentially one up front, even at home. Liam Prynn getting injured would make life very difficult. If you can't 'out football' other teams, then pragmatism is understandable. For me, Henderson has so much credit in the bank, that he deserves to fashion the side in any way he sees fit!

Yes, gates are disappointingly low, but compare with Saltash 109 when top of the WL!! It should be noted that £10 at Tavi s on the steeper side for admission prices compared to clubs like Exmouth at £8.00 and a keen fan engagement within that club has seen it prosper! The £5.00 ask for development friendlies not an encourager to support the wider club either! They charged silly money for some of the PSFs too - again £5 or£6 IIRC for Dev't Team v Bodmin. These are essentially open training contests!! 

That said,  quite a few Tamar Valley clubs  gates are hit when Argyle are at home and even when Parkway have a big game. Certainly the latter applies to Saltash. Some clubs like Exmouth and Falmouth have cultivated a committed support. It can be done. Naturally, success on the pitch helps, but some clubs not pulling in the punters even with this. Questions need asking as to why? Certainly I think the Lambs deserve more. It is a friendly club to go to. I enjoy it there! Give it a go if in the West Devon / East Cornwall areas.

23 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Mousehole are another club that (similar to Parkway) have a rock solid business model with good non football revenue streams, a wide base of sponsors and plenty of very active committe members.

The only cloud I can see on the horizon for them is keeping hold of some of their players (who have no doubt caught the eye of step 3 clubs), and similarly manager Jake Ash. Always impressed me as a football player, manager and person. Think that he could go a long way in the game, clubs higher up the pyramid will no doubt have noticed him

18 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Mousehole are another club that (similar to Parkway) have a rock solid business model with good non football revenue streams, a wide base of sponsors and plenty of very active committe members.

The only cloud I can see on the horizon for them is keeping hold of some of their players (who have no doubt caught the eye of step 3 clubs), and similarly manager Jake Ash. Always impressed me as a football player, manager and person. Think that he could go a long way in the game, clubs higher up the pyramid will no doubt have noticed him

Agree 100%