Cornwall Football Forum

Goalkeeper holding the ball.

panda

Just watched the Villa v Arsenal game. The Villa keeper on many occasions held onto the ball for twenty four seconds. Only in the last five minutes did the ref take any action. I thought the law was six to eight seconds. Justice was done in the end because he scored an own goal to give Arsenal the lead and then he came up for a corner which Arsenal cleared and he was stranded as the Arsenal player walked the ball in.

7 hours ago, panda said:

Just watched the Villa v Arsenal game. The Villa keeper on many occasions held onto the ball for twenty four seconds. Only in the last five minutes did the ref take any action. I thought the law was six to eight seconds. Justice was done in the end because he scored an own goal to give Arsenal the lead and then he came up for a corner which Arsenal cleared and he was stranded as the Arsenal player walked the ball in.

I noticedd this as well.  Once again the referees are in charge and fail to implement the law 

Whatever has happened to football ? How have the authorities arrived at a situation where simple rules have become so complicated  or have such a variation of interpretation ? This season it's got worse . Apologies for using my team Wolves as an example BUT ! We had the bizarre situation with the Liverpool / Wolves cup game where Liverpool scored a goal  that appeared to be offside  but wasn't because a Wolves defender attempted to  clear the ball ,a rule that very few people including the pundits knew of ,  then the mysterious disallowed  Wolves goal which was given as offside but nobody knew who was offside ( if anybody . Last week Wolves had a player sent off  for a second yellow because he was the third player to protest over a shirt pull back that wasn't given . Strange that very few if anybody had ever heard of the rule  and from watching some of yesterdays games doesn't seem to apply to any other games . Added to this the  missed offside decision in a number of games in the Premiership that could have been exerts from one of my beloved Marx Brothers films .  I've come more and more to agree with St. Darren's views on referees and the governing bodies . Fans are paying a lot of money to watch games and for them to see their team robbed of  a place in the next round of a cup competition because of incompetence of officials is gauling to say the least . Also with the money and prestige at stake in the Premiership what about the situation where the title or relegation is decided by incompetence ?.

Sadly  a growing number of people ( and I'm not one yet ) are suggesting  that corruption through gambling is involved . Unlikely  but many people thought Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris were the next thing to sainthood and we could find out in years to come .

I hope my comments don't break forum rules and speaking of betting I might take a small wager that less than 3 people will  comment .

1 hour ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

The six second rule was abandoned years ago,it's up to the referee's discretion nowadays.

This is how you get random interpretations.

' Up The Town '

Thats not true there was a highlight of a ref blowing for a free kick in a Helston game a while ago and someone said what you just said and then someone else came on and said that's not true and that the six second rule is still a thing 

All of them absolutely rubbish. 

How, between a referee on the pitch and VAR haven't they sent off the Utd player for thst challenge? 

The wasting of time is a joke though.  You're watching under an hour of entertainment when you've paid for 90 minutes. The referees can easily do something about this 

On 25/02/2023 at 07:42, Keith B said:

threats to officials on the rise,

Threats to officials and also to players has been around for some time as I can confirm having had myself and family threatened by supporters of an opposing team.
Not all the problems in football can be levelled at officialdom or players either, there are many supposed supporters?? of the game who need to take a look at themselves and question whether what they class as banter, is really yobbish threats and abuse in disquise.
Those people are the same ones that say " if you don't like it stay away " and then wonder why young families fail to attend football matches.