Cornwall Football Forum

Another Nostalgia podcast episode is available - I'm talking to Steve Cudmore, Wadebridge Town

Enjoyed that Deacs!! Really good listen👂 Steve recalls and remembers some good old names from the past in Cornish football! What a top bloke and real character of our Cornish game over the last 50 odd years! You forget how many top players the Bridgers have had over the years! Great club and people 👏🏼👍

Just been listening to the interview with Dave Deacon and Wadebridge chairman Steve Cudmore and i thought it was brilliant Mr Cudmore seems a lovely man and is doing a wonderful job at Wadebridge its a club i real for . 

I have lots of good memories of Wadebridge football club and it was the last club my dad visited in Dec 26th 1980 Newquay was playing there and my old man wa winding the players of Wadebridge like he always did  Brian Chapman and Mike Yelland where his favourites he would spend all game aying you dirty bugger Chapman or you so and so Yelland but when the game had finished my old man would go up to these players put his arm  around them and say you had a hell of a game i would like to buy you a drink .

Also 1 afternoon my old man was mouthing off as usual and this old lady whacked him with her brolly they became best of friends after that but he was a bugger when he was watching footy . 

My dads last game he saw was 26th Dec 1980 we watched the match drove home from Wadebridge ,that night my dad had a massive stroke he couldnt move or speak he was 62 ,i packed in my job on the Council to help mum look after him and he passed away aged 67 from phnmonia my dad was the fittest bloke you could ever meet he was never ill and to see him like he was was heartbreaking me and mum had no help from carers  dad would have up to 10 fits a day he never spoke again or could move .He lived for his footy and loved going to Wadebridge football ground like i do now .

Lovely listening to the interview by Dave ,and the Chairman, saying Steve Simmonds is there what  a brilliant bit of business to have at the club 1 of my all time fav players saw him playing in the Charity Match Organised by Neil Slateford and hes still a hell of a player just what the Bridger need to help the youngsters at the back because i saw them severel times last season and they seem to panic against the top teams .

Im looking forward very much to watching Wadebridge vs Mousehole next Saturday , i will be a regular visitor for nearly all Wadebridges Friendlies they are so good .

Sorry this is so long but i do tend to get carried away , have a good week fellow supporters see you all soon maybe next week vs the very good Mousehole team ,i would like to get a photo of Mr Steve Cudmore he seems a lovely chap and talked a lot of sense in the interview he did .

1 last thing my neighbours boy Jack is a goalkeeper and hes training with Wadebridge this year so i will be following his progress think hes only 15 but i have seen him play and hes very good . 

Ok People all the best from me and Smokie and lets try and be nice to each other this season