Cornwall Football Forum

Who rememers this great monthly magazine from 1974 to 1978 ?

Would that have been edited by Tony Williams? He was involved in the Rothmans sponsorship and his non-league yearbooks were first published towards the end of the 1970s. He also published various non league magazines from into the 1980s and 1990s.

Before then there was coverage of the "Amateur" game - mainly the Isthmian, Athenian and other London leagues - so this would have been a departure into the wider world of non-league after the ending of the professional/amateur distinction.

2 hours ago, Easterfield said:

The Non League Directory published by Tony Williams gradually grew in size peaking, if my memory is correct, in this 1216 page edition which had a Cornwall-born editor:

jFPh4U1ngfhF3_n78G6qDulTUUbZ1Dib3gx1HgaT5oGLmcabzBwJTqOo6xYvyZnDDfYDtttZXTLdPPKef4DuIWmZDRAkljBKnmi6v2cxGoGhtTB2OyFOcKHBTZ-OKoALWrRfAQ8tVcVrt6y-Dw

GHU3PMtUDaDNQuQctIMOARe1JgYoMbslJ9gRLGAY8qlCaG7TK9luIIo8vbVJG2nSCnHAhDtphYkzRB_Fu_n5sIyIesOdPr_lPO4HNuTvQQSF68F4oEBAzZTsMBoXR7iDqMsRT59H38N3EEmi1A

MikeOdgers-Press Officer and programme editor. LOL

Under pressure on  Vase days ringing in the Independent newspaper  report straight after the match

1 minute ago, Mike Odgers said:

MikeOdgers-Press Officer and programme editor. LOL

Great rapport with Manager Ray Nicholls-lovely person now sadly passed on.

Under pressure on  Vase days ringing in the Independent newspaper  report straight after the match

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Don't remember the Rothmans Football News magazines (worth a few quid I suspect, especially if anybody has a full set).

Still have a few of the Non League Club Directories though, they were an essential read in that era immediately before the Internet.

I am sure I have the full volumes-thinking of re reading them in the garden sunshine tomorrow.

There was also a Newspaper "The Western Leaguer" published at the time.

The Rothmans sponsorship of the Western League was certainly a game changer financially, and definetely encouraged first Town (and then Saltash and Liskeard) to make the step up. Believe other clubs from Cornwall (possibly Bodmin, St Austell and Wadebridge) considered it as well. The £1000 that Falmouth received in 1975 for winning it would, allowing for inflation, be equivalent to £9800 today. Can't find the figure for the prize money that Tavistock earned for being champions in 2021/22, but believe it's in the region of £3000.

£100 prize money there for Dawlish as the third highest goalscorers outside the top three. They finished tenth in what was their second season in the Western League. Dawlish were third in 1982/83 and, after adding 'Town' to their name, carried on in the Western League until 2011. Best season was 2007/08 when they were runners-up to Truro City; a season when Dawlish also won the Devon St Luke's Bowl. There were good FA Vase runs too.

Now half-forgotten. Somehow the fortunes of Dawlish became entwined with those of Newton Abbot FC (not the Spurs) who were in the Peninsula Premier when they went under during the 2008/09. I'd watch both clubs very occasionally of a midweek evening; quite suddenly both had gone and two tidy football grounds were left "going to waste" with respect to a decent level of football.

But not to waste entirely as Newton Abbot were playing at Coach Road which the Devon FA started to hire out so that it started to see more games than ever before. Plymouth Argyle's Peninsula team played there for a while; now it's Paignton Saints of the Devon League.

Dawlish Town's ground, and the pitch beside the leisure centre, also sees a lot of football including Dawlish United who are in the top section of the Devon & Exeter League. They had a 7.30pm kick-off during last season so the floodlights still work. You'd imagine that, should the will be there, that they'd be a Peninsula possbility. But I don't think there's ever any talk of that or even the Devon League.    

2 hours ago, Easterfield said:

£100 prize money there for Dawlish as the third highest goalscorers outside the top three. They finished tenth in what was their second season in the Western League. Dawlish were third in 1982/83 and, after adding 'Town' to their name, carried on in the Western League until 2011. Best season was 2007/08 when they were runners-up to Truro City; a season when Dawlish also won the Devon St Luke's Bowl. There were good FA Vase runs too.

Now half-forgotten. Somehow the fortunes of Dawlish became entwined with those of Newton Abbot FC (not the Spurs) who were in the Peninsula Premier when they went under during the 2008/09. I'd watch both clubs very occasionally of a midweek evening; quite suddenly both had gone and two tidy football grounds were left "going to waste" with respect to a decent level of football.

But not to waste entirely as Newton Abbot were playing at Coach Road which the Devon FA started to hire out so that it started to see more games than ever before. Plymouth Argyle's Peninsula team played there for a while; now it's Paignton Saints of the Devon League.

Dawlish Town's ground, and the pitch beside the leisure centre, also sees a lot of football including Dawlish United who are in the top section of the Devon & Exeter League. They had a 7.30pm kick-off during last season so the floodlights still work. You'd imagine that, should the will be there, that they'd be a Peninsula possbility. But I don't think there's ever any talk of that or even the Devon League.    

Coach Road & Sandy Lane were regular midweek haunts of me too, until the Fenners ruined both clubs. 

7 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Coach Road & Sandy Lane were regular midweek haunts of me too, until the Fenners ruined both clubs. 

Yes, the Fenners. Originally from Watford (like the Cavannas strangely enough) they were South Devon builders who were involved in local football over the years. David was at Dawlish from around 2003; Keith at Newton Abbot a few years later.

Here's an odd thing. Anything posted online by Herald Express from that time has been wiped. But there's one story that's survived elsewhere (4 March 2008 post):

https://www.cornwallfootballforum.com/topic/4408-newton-abbot-to-become-dawlish-town-reserves/

Dawlish's best - Western League runners-up; Les Phillips Cup winners; Devon St Luke's Bowl winners; FA Vase quarter finalists - is also Buckland's best.

3 hours ago, Easterfield said:

Yes, the Fenners. Originally from Watford (like the Cavannas strangely enough) they were South Devon builders who were involved in local football over the years. David was at Dawlish from around 2003; Keith at Newton Abbot a few years later.

Here's an odd thing. Anything posted online by Herald Express from that time has been wiped. But there's one story that's survived elsewhere (4 March 2008 post):

https://www.cornwallfootballforum.com/topic/4408-newton-abbot-to-become-dawlish-town-reserves/

Dawlish's best - Western League runners-up; Les Phillips Cup winners; Devon St Luke's Bowl winners; FA Vase quarter finalists - is also Buckland's best.

Seem to remember when Dawlish's bill to the brewery was paid using Newton Abbot's funds. One of the Fenner's sons, Lee, played for clubs in the area, including Liverton amongst others. Surprised they didn't get their feet under the table there (or perhaps they did?). I always remember the father of the two 'owners' who used to watch at Dawlish, gave me the impression of being an East End gangster 😁

23 hours ago, David Bray said:

Still got the 1971 edition of Rothmans.

FA Sunday Cup. / Round 1.

Louis Boutique 4 Riviera Coasters 0.

Match played at the Brickfields.

At that time Coasters were the first Sunday League team from Cornwall to play in this prestigious National Competition. 

Are Loius Boutique related to the Louis International side that had a few years in the South Western League?

8 hours ago, Easterfield said:

Remember that Dawlish run to the FA Vase Quarter Finals in 1986/87. They featured the goalscoring postman Kevin Smith upfront, who of course later sampled Wembley glory with Tiverton.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Are Loius Boutique related to the Louis International side that had a few years in the South Western League?

There were several teams around Plymouth during the late 1960s and 1970s that won county trophies and dabled with ex-pros and a higher grade of football: a Sunday side called the Pussycat Club, Plymouth City (one season in the Western League), Louis International and Louis Boutique. Usual venues of those days: Pennycross Stadium (before its demolition); Brickfields; possibly even Millbay Park.

I'm sure somebody will know more but, doing a bit of research just now, I see that Peter Bloom - later chairman of Plymouth Argyle - was a director of a business called Louis International Menswear. John Conway too; I'm sure I had a few pairs of jeans from there. 

According to a PASOTI (Argyle message board) poster there may have been a link between the one-time Pussycat Club team and the later Plymouth City; both a few years before the Louis teams.               

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Remember that Dawlish run to the FA Vase Quarter Finals in 1986/87. They featured the goalscoring postman Kevin Smith upfront, who of course later sampled Wembley glory with Tiverton.

Kevin Smith was from Wallsend, North Tyneside. Early in his career he scored the winner for Cambridge United against Newcastle United:   https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kevin-keegans-newcastle-were-no-13907404

When he signed for Torquay United there was a publicity picture showing him at a bookies placing a free bet on himself to score twenty-five goals that season. He scored just the one for Torquay but then went on to score hundreds in the Western League.  

38 minutes ago, David Bray said:

Louis Boutique did change to Louis International when they (under the change of name) eventually became members of the South Western League for a short period. 

When Coasters played them the Manager was Peter Williams brother of the Argyle legend Johnny Williams. 

Plymouth City. Played one season in the Western League, finished 7th in season 70/71 and played at the now built over, Pennycross Stadium. Virtually nothing is known about their formation, the events of this season and who played for them, and why they folded. No photos, match reports or programs seem to exist. One of non league football's great mysteries.

17 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Never played Western League, think their ground was either Millbay Park or the one on the naval base? 

The South Western League also saw Devon & Cornwall Police, who I think played at Millbay Park, and Plymouth Civil Service. And Oak Villa, in their various guises, clocked-up twenty-five years in the South Western, Devon and Peninsula leagues.

28 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

The South Western League also saw Devon & Cornwall Police, who I think played at Millbay Park, and Plymouth Civil Service. And Oak Villa, in their various guises, clocked-up twenty-five years in the South Western, Devon and Peninsula leagues.

D&C Police indeed used Millbay. I preferred that ground to Weston Mill Oak Villa's ground behind Camels Head fire station, which was more of a pitch in the middle of a public rec. Believe that is still in use? 

2 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

D&C Police indeed used Millbay. I preferred that ground to Weston Mill Oak Villa's ground behind Camels Head fire station, which was more of a pitch in the middle of a public rec. Believe that is still in use? 

Still in use although it's Signal Box Oak Villa thesedays. Their Saturday 1st XI was conceding fixtures towards the end of last season but other sides were still playing.

5 hours ago, Easterfield said:

Oak Villa had a decent side under ex Saltash boss Peter Distin for a season or so in the late eighties. Lots of young Plymouth based players in the squad who went on to bigger things (one of these was Dave Leonard of Saltash, Yeovil and Tiverton fame).

On 02/06/2022 at 20:36, Way Of The Park said:

Plymouth City. Played one season in the Western League, finished 7th in season 70/71 and played at the now built over, Pennycross Stadium. Virtually nothing is known about their formation, the events of this season and who played for them, and why they folded. No photos, match reports or programs seem to exist. One of non league football's great mysteries.

By my reckoning other South Western League clubs that are defunct include Bugle, United Services (one season in the 1950s), Newton Abbot Dynamos (who became Newton Abbot who, as Buckland Jim reminded us, met the Fenners) and St Luke’s College (the successor of whom could be said to be Exeter University in the Devon League).

And Clyst Rovers who played at the end of the Exeter Airport runway. I once saw Torquay United lose a Devon St Luke’s Bowl game there in a match that effectively sealed the fate of a young lad, on loan from a bigger club, who didn’t show much interest in proceedings and was quickly returned to his parent club. But the airport fire crew were in attendance watching part of the game through the perimeter fence.

The game brought back memories for a Torquay United-watching acquaintance who, some years before, played five-a-side once a week in Exeter. One evening one of his team mates, who had a relative at Clyst, told them the club was struggling and asked if they’d each like a couple of games whilst the club righted itself. They ended up staying for a while up until, if his memory was correct, a 12-0 defeat against St Austell.

I went back to Clyst about seven or eight years ago. The diggers had been in and the only evidence you could find was an old sign bearing the club’s name. Go back now and you’ll still find the entrance on the old main road. But then it’s all different. Reach a busy new road and the old ground is just short of the offices of Live West, a housing association, which is rather strange because that old five-a-side footballer went on to manage a housing association.   

St Luke’s College were actually members of the Western League when Falmouth Town first won it. Of teams that may now be less-familiar, that league also included Glastonbury (now third tier of Somerset football) and Westland-Yeovil (now Westland Sports in the highest Dorset league). .

Mentioned Minehead a few months ago; they had a good season in the Southern League’s lower section in 1974/75. Looked in at their ground this week. The stand and social club has been demolished since I was there three years ago. There’s now a community hall, with changing rooms, but there are no football structures other than dugouts.  I suspect The Revival is some time off.

11 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Oak Villa had a decent side under ex Saltash boss Peter Distin for a season or so in the late eighties. Lots of young Plymouth based players in the squad who went on to bigger things (one of these was Dave Leonard of Saltash, Yeovil and Tiverton fame).

Richard Rundle’s Football Club History Database includes details of Oak Villa playing FA Cup ties against Bideford, St Austell, Barnstaple Town and Dartmouth United in the late 1940s and early 1950s.  

Green Waves and Plymouth United also appeared in the FA Cup around the same time.

53 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Did St.Lukes College play on 'The  Cat & Fiddle ground'  ? 

Looking back in the records the lowest ever attendance for Falmouth was when they played away to St.Lukes College in the Western League-- = 15 (Fifteen) lol

I was a student myself, miles from Devon, when St Luke's had teams in the Western League and the South Western League at the same time. I just remember organising the fixtures for the school sixth form team* and the captain telling me not to arrange anything against St Luke's. They were too fit; they'd run us into the ground.  We settled instead for the University midweek 3rd and 4th XIs.

As far as I know, most home games were at the Cat and Fiddle although some earlier Western League games may have been at St James Park. Other games may have been played at Countess Wear. 

Rugby was the big thing at St Luke's and it recruitred strongly from rugby-playing young men in SW England and South Wales. I think the rugby pitch was almost the centrepiece of the campus on Heavitree Road.

More about St Luke's/Exeter University football: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/alumnisupporters/networks/exeter-sport/football/

* First game I saw in Cornwall was 1972; an ESFA national under-19 cup game between Humphrey Davy and Torquay Grammar. Interesting if anybody remembers that; the oddity would have been the size of the "away support". Pitch invasion at the final whistle and, at Monday's assembly, the Deputy Head - admitting he pretty much led the incursion - warned us against doing it again.       

35 minutes ago, Easterfield said:

I was a student myself, miles from Devon, when St Luke's had teams in the Western League and the South Western League at the same time. I just remember organising the fixtures for the school sixth form team* and the captain telling me not to arrange anything against St Luke's. They were too fit; they'd run us into the ground.  We settled instead for the University midweek 3rd and 4th XIs.

As far as I know, most home games were at the Cat and Fiddle although some earlier Western League games may have been at St James Park. Other games may have been played at Countess Wear. 

Rugby was the big thing at St Luke's and it recruitred strongly from rugby-playing young men in SW England and South Wales. I think the rugby pitch was almost the centrepiece of the campus on Heavitree Road.

More about St Luke's/Exeter University football: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/alumnisupporters/networks/exeter-sport/football/

* First game I saw in Cornwall was 1972; an ESFA national under-19 cup game between Humphrey Davy and Torquay Grammar. Interesting if anybody remembers that; the oddity would have been the size of the "away support". Pitch invasion at the final whistle and, at Monday's assembly, the Deputy Head - admitting he pretty much led the incursion - warned us against doing it again.       

I do have a St. Luke's programme from the late 70's v Chelsea XI played at St. James Park, not sure of the occasion without digging it out. 

21 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

I do have a St. Luke's programme from the late 70's v Chelsea XI played at St. James Park, not sure of the occasion without digging it out. 

That would have been to mark the incorporation of St Luke's College into the University of Exeter. Have found an image of the programme online; St Luke's were claiming to be the fifth oldest football club in the world at the time.

Some years previously I just about remember the name of Alan Pinkney (if not the player himself), a  St Luke's student who signed for Exeter City and later played for Crystal Palace.

The college buildings - opposite the now former city police station -  house the university's education, sport, health and medical students. I've been told that a group of one-time St Luke's/University footballers would be happy to help the University in joining the Peninsula.      

Exeter University is still compartively sporty. I imagine there are now a far more diverse range of sports played by a wider group of students compared to when St Luke's was so pre-eminent in a smaller number of largely "blokeish" activities. If you're of a certain age, and remember that PE teacher who wanted you to play rugby, I bet he went to St Luke's     

It's probably the case too that, when so many more people go to university, the number of graduates playing in local football is at an all-time high. Gone would be the days when they were automatically called "Bamber" as a consequence.  Sports Studies at Marjons seems to feature on many a Linkedin account.

32 minutes ago, panda said:

They used to play at HMS Fisgard on the main road from Torpoint to Antony

That's a venue I missed out on because, the year I arranged the school 1st and 2nd XI fixtures, it was our turn to host Fisgard.  But we did play at the naval college at Dartmouth; a great "tick" for a certain type of groundhopper no doubt.    

Interesting about St.Lukes College  (5th.oldest club in the World)

I have found some notes 1857-Sheffield FC--1860 HallamFC (Yorks)--1861 Worksop Town--1862 Notts County--1863 Stoke City--etc

Oldest ground in the World -Sandygate Road (Hallam)1860----oldest continuously used ground -York Road ,Berks' (Maidenhead United) 1871.

Marlow Town have appeared in the F a Cup since its inception in 1872 (bar one  1910 when they missed their application by one day)

Oldest Club in Cornwall--Torpoint 1887 ?

4 hours ago, Easterfield said:

That would have been to mark the incorporation of St Luke's College into the University of Exeter. Have found an image of the programme online; St Luke's were claiming to be the fifth oldest football club in the world at the time.

Some years previously I just about remember the name of Alan Pinkney (if not the player himself), a  St Luke's student who signed for Exeter City and later played for Crystal Palace.

The college buildings - opposite the now former city police station -  house the university's education, sport, health and medical students. I've been told that a group of one-time St Luke's/University footballers would be happy to help the University in joining the Peninsula.      

Exeter University is still compartively sporty. I imagine there are now a far more diverse range of sports played by a wider group of students compared to when St Luke's was so pre-eminent in a smaller number of largely "blokeish" activities. If you're of a certain age, and remember that PE teacher who wanted you to play rugby, I bet he went to St Luke's     

It's probably the case too that, when so many more people go to university, the number of graduates playing in local football is at an all-time high. Gone would be the days when they were automatically called "Bamber" as a consequence.  Sports Studies at Marjons seems to feature on many a Linkedin account.

Interesting to see in the St. Luke's team a certain Julian Tagg who went on to have an official role at Exeter City on the board. It also states in the programme that it's the last match for the college. 

IMG_20220605_133243.jpg

Yes, Julian Tagg who has been just about everything at Exeter City - chief executive, chair and president - since the trust took over. He went on to teach sport at the university. 

Richard Forbes probably the best known player in the St Luke's squad; played fifty-odd games for Exeter City. The two goalkeepers, John Baugh and Geoff Wake, made Football League appearances for Exeter and Torquay resepctively. One or two other names half-familiar.

The referee had to be Ron Crabb, prison officer and Football League official.     

3 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Interesting about St.Lukes College  (5th.oldest club in the World)

I have found some notes 1857-Sheffield FC--1860 HallamFC (Yorks)--1861 Worksop Town--1862 Notts County--1863 Stoke City--etc

Oldest ground in the World -Sandygate Road (Hallam)1860----oldest continuously used ground -York Road ,Berks' (Maidenhead United) 1871.

Marlow Town have appeared in the F a Cup since its inception in 1872 (bar one  1910 when they missed their application by one day)

Oldest Club in Cornwall--Torpoint 1887 ?

I'm more than a little dubious about the St Luke's claim. 

Tavistock are one of Devon's oldest clubs dating from 1888 but Heavitree of Exeter often make the claim based on an 1885 foundation. Not sure if the club has been in absolute continous existence since then. There's a man in Torquay who knows a lot about this should he see this thread. He'd tell you the situation was confused in Devon because many Victorian "football clubs" turned out to be rugby-playing.

I've  lived close to Hallam's ground in Sheffield and it's correct to make the distinction with Maidenhead regarding continuous use. Football has been played at Hallam's Sandygate for most of the intervening 160 years but not all the time. Hallam have developed the ground as much as they are able with a cracking stand and a club house. It's on a slope and shared with cricket; yet it would be hard for them to move because Sandygate is their claim to fame and the basis for their "1860" branding. 

By contrast Sheffield FC were always nomadic and, when I watched them a few times nine or ten years ago, seemed to be desperately milking "The World's First Football Club" identity for all it was worth. Not sure how far it's taken them because they've struggled on the pitch and are still playing just beyond the city boundaries at Dronfield, Derbyshire. The big plan a decade ago was to move towards the city centre at Olive Grove;  now it's to take over the former Sheffield City Transport sports club just inside the city boundary on the way to where they currently play.   

Hallam, by contrast, have just been promoted and averaged crowds of over 600 at step 6 last season with a best that was almost identical to Falmouth's.