Cornwall Football Forum

Favorite Premier League Team

Srw1525

Wolves ever since 1950's , 2 reasons , one ,  they were one of the top sides in Europe  in the late 50's  . British clubs were'nt allowed to play in European  cup games ( F.A.  wouldn't let them ) but they beat most of the European teams in floodlit friendlies . All my mates were Manchester United or Spurs ( 2 other great teams at the time )  fans but I didn't want to follow the trend . Secondly Jessie Pye a Wolves great  from the early 50's had retired  and had a sweet shop in Wisbech , he was always a friendly man so that swayed me even further to Wolves . 

Can you imagine it today ? Harry Kane retires and runs a sweet shop in Basingstoke !!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of Nicholson's great Spurs double team  , I always think that it's sad that people of the day didn't get to watch teams like them on t.v. . I often feel that modern football is often boring , very much like a chess game . Although not a Spurs fan I did admire them and did watch them live at White Hart Lane  a few times . I sometimes now watch forwards get near the box and seconds later the ball has been played back to their defenders . I swear inwardly and think " what would the great Cliff Jones have done ?  Certainly not been negative , probably left a couple of defenders in his wake and then crossed an inch perfect ball to Bobby Smith .

Wolves. The old gold shirts and my sister studying at the old Wolverhampton Polytechnic (Wolly Poly) during the eighties and following them (a cheap way to fill Saturday afternoons before the pubs opened). That was in the division 4 days when Molineux was a strange mixture of the pitch being  turned around, a multi million pound main stand that bankrupted the club with the rest of the ground being little more than cow sheds. A sparse crowd huddled in shacks watching Andy Mutch and Steve Bull scoring for fun.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Wolves. The old gold shirts and my sister studying at the old Wolverhampton Polytechnic (Wolly Poly) during the eighties and following them (a cheap way to fill Saturday afternoons before the pubs opened). That was in the division 4 days when Molineux was a strange mixture of the pitch being  turned around, a multi million pound main stand that bankrupted the club with the rest of the ground being little more than cow sheds. A sparse crowd huddled in shacks watching Andy Mutch and Steve Bull scoring for fun.

Reminds me of a trip I did to Molineux during that same period - was a foggy afternoon, not foggy enough to cause problems for the ref or the players, but the stand was so far from the far end of the rotated pitch that the fans could barely see to the half way line. In my memory (admittedly increasingly dodgy these days) there were only two stands in use at that time - the “new” one and just one of the old cow sheds. Pretty sure Steve Bull was active for England at the time so maybe 1989 or 1990. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently it's Brentford. My first taste of proper football came  aound 1957 when my father took me to Griffin Park on the 667 trollybus. I've now lived in Cornwall for 45years but have still managed to get to see "the bees" off and on over the years.

However, just to comlplicate matters, Brentford will probably have to give way to AFC Bournemouth should they be promoted in the next few weeks, "Boscombe* became my team through the !960s when we moved down to the south coast and, as a young adult, I gained the freedom to go to games, home and away, with my mates.

I didn't set out to support two teams, but once you get bitten you are smitten for life.

Keith B, not only did I see them, I remember being at Griffin Park when Ted scored against Brentford. The game was recorded for ""The Big Match" and I was right behind the goal. It is still on YouTube somewhere.

Another memorable inciident was Boscombe's fourth and final goal in their last home game of their promotion season. Phil Boyer had the ball in the penalty area and could easily have taken a shot at goal. However, mindfull that Ted was breaking records , he unselfishly passed him the ball. I don't think that Ted was expecting it as he totally miscued his shot, straight back to Boyer who had no option but to tap the ball into the net.

As you say, great days.

On 22/04/2022 at 21:22, deancourt said:

Currently it's Brentford. My first taste of proper football came  aound 1957 when my father took me to Griffin Park on the 667 trollybus. I've now lived in Cornwall for 45years but have still managed to get to see "the bees" off and on over the years.

However, just to comlplicate matters, Brentford will probably have to give way to AFC Bournemouth should they be promoted in the next few weeks, "Boscombe* became my team through the !960s when we moved down to the south coast and, as a young adult, I gained the freedom to go to games, home and away, with my mates.

I didn't set out to support two teams, but once you get bitten you are smitten for life.

Never been to the new stadium, but Griffin Park was lovely old stadium that could boast a pub on each corner of the ground.

Didn't Boyer and McDougal both end up at Norwich ? I know Boyer did because I played against him and Martin Peters in the Norwich Thursday league when they had retired  from the professional game  . Mick Channon also ended up at Norwich . Why are there no characters like that in the game now ?

2 hours ago, fenman said:

Didn't Boyer and McDougal both end up at Norwich ? I know Boyer did because I played against him and Martin Peters in the Norwich Thursday league when they had retired  from the professional game  . Mick Channon also ended up at Norwich . Why are there no characters like that in the game now ?

Systems dont allow for much individuality these days,  all about KEEP THE BALL! 

This is well worth a watch. Fly on the wall documentary about Malcom Allison's brief spell in charge at Man City during the 1979/80 season. For the Norwich fans on here, Phil Boyer and Kevin Reeves both feature, as well as the grand arrival of John Bond when Big Mal gets the sack. The aftermath in the dressing room when Allison makes his triumphant return to Maine Road in charge of Crystal Palace for an FA Cup tie (in which they get thumped)  makes amazing viewing.