Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL fixtures for Saturday 29th January

St Teath 1 St Cleer 1 

Fair result with poor conditions today, St Teath played with the wind first half and had the majority of the chances scoring through Andy Burden and later on hit the bar. 

The second half was a different story where St Cleer has the majority of chances and managed to equalise. 

Not the best of games in poor conditions but St Teath against the odds have taken 4 points off a decent St Cleer team. 

Gunnislake 4- 1 Torpoint Athletic 3rds

Went along to this game as a neutral, so here are my thoughts.

A first visit to the good developing set up at Gunnislake, well done to everyone involved.

To the game, played out in front of 30-40 spectators I guess.

Gunnislake played down the slope, and with a strong following wind in the first half. On this particular day, a contrast in styles, with Torpoint attempting to put together well constructed moves, Gunnislake tending to get the ball forward much  quickly. The home side missed a couple of presentable chances before they took the lead after approx 20 mins, from a free kick just outside the penalty area, a good right foot shot clipped one post then nestled inside the far post.

Torpoint equalised with a stonewall penalty well despatched, although I think the keeper got his fingers to the ball.

Gunnislake retook the lead with probably their best move of the game, several passes down the right culminating with a great shot across the keeper.

The home side were awarded a penalty late in the first half, when a player was running away from the goal to possibly retrieve the ball was clumsily clipped by a defender. Torpoint protested a bit, but the calm presence of Mr Johns the referee soon put an end to that.

Penalty converted, by then it was just a question of whether Torpoint could get a goal or two back before half time to give themselves a better chance in the second half, they didn't so 3-1 at half time.

Much of the second half was fairly even imo, until the last 10-15 minutes when Torpoint pressed Gunnislake back, but during this time the home side broke away for their fourth goal ( which I didn't see as I was trying to help retrieve three balls that had sailed over the goal, high netting into the impenetrable railway cutting behind the goal.

So it finished 4-1 to the hom e team, the difference between the two being Gunnislake's very strong defence, particularly in the second half, their desire to get the ball forward quickly, set against Torpoint trying to construct good play, in pretty unfavourable conditions tbh.

Good to see plenty of subs available, two well run clubs clearly, and an excellent referee keeping things moving with minimal fuss.

Edited by Jeff's Telling
Spelling

Gunnislake 4 - 1 Torpoint

Lineup: WestallM, Quintrell, Carter, WhiteJ, Hussey, Cotter, Payn, Pacey, Ferguson, WestallC, Easterbrook.

Subs: Northcott, WhiteS, Blair. Unused: Bartolini, Rowe.

Scorer: Hussey (pen)

Another lengthy break between fixtures for us but it wasn't visible on the day from our performance, just not the scoreline. My first visit to Gunnislake in years and their new pitch is far better than the one in the valley. A big pitch which yesterday was slick throughout.

The game didn't take long for meaningful action. Torpoint moved the ball well in the early stages, but on 15mins an indirect free kick was excellently smashed into the top corner by Kev McAllion for a Gunni lead. Torpoint weren't disheartened and equalised around 10mins later. The lively Ferguson found himself in good possession inside the box and was brought down when trying to beat his man. Easy decision and Hussey put into the bottom corner. The next goal was again for the home side, with a quick passing move found the forward inside the box who finished very well low into the left corner. A great finish and team move.

Torpoint pushed forward again looking for the equaliser. Cotter and Pacey in particular looked confident in possession and WestallC did everything he could to get us into better positions. It was skipper WestallC who was instigator of the next event. He bundled through two defenders and was brought down inside the box. The official waved no offence to the away side's surprise. From my view it was a stone waller but I'm not the opinion that matters. Within 30secs there was a penalty, for Gunnislake. A huge swing against us which hurt even more when Ash Small scored his 2nd pen against us in 2 games to make it 3-1. I thought it was a penalty, but after the game McAllion was outspoken multiple times in his admittance that he'd dived. Our linesman/sub was warned for trying to "assist" in the decision but I respect that it's not the place of a team provided volunteer. 3-1 HT.

HT was a positive changing room despite the score line. We could only control our own mindset and performance and not let negativity or frustration take over. But despite lots of good possession in the middle 1/3 of the pitch, we huffed and puffed in terms of creating chances. Late on, it was all Torpoint, but robust defending from both Gunni centre halves were both brave and impressive in the timing of their tackles and last ditch blocks. The keeper also made two good saves in the last 5 to prevent us from any hope, one in particular making himself big, low to the ground to save. Against the momentum, Gunni secured victory. A counter down the right ended up in the net with WestallM wrong-footed. Didn't see why but have to assume the cross took a big deflection.

Credit to Gunni, they're a strong side, with their core of keeper, Southcott, centre half? Coton and McAllion good players. Coton was handled well yesterday though, being outshone by 2 players on the losing side. Apart from my difference of opinion on two monumental key decisions from the official, his handling of the game as a whole was very good. Calm throughout and the game didn't have a single bad tackle or look close to ever boiling over, which it did in the previous fixture in August. Though playing well and still losing hurts more than most losses, it sets up the Semi Final in March for an interesting one.

24 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Lineup: WestallM, Quintrell, Carter, WhiteJ, Hussey, Cotter, Payn, Pacey, Ferguson, WestallC, Easterbrook.

Another lengthy break between fixtures for us but it wasn't visible on the day from our performance, just not the scoreline. My first visit to Gunnislake in years and their new pitch is far better than the one in the valley. A big pitch which yesterday was slick throughout.

The game didn't take long for meaningful action. Torpoint moved the ball well in the early stages, but on 15mins an indirect free kick was excellently smashed into the top corner by Kev McAllion for a Gunni lead. Torpoint weren't disheartened and equalised around 10mins later. The lively Ferguson found himself in good possession inside the box and was brought down when trying to beat his man. Easy decision and Hussey put into the bottom corner. The next goal was again for the home side, with a quick passing move found the forward inside the box who finished very well low into the left corner. A great finish and team move.

Torpoint pushed forward again looking for the equaliser. Cotter and Pacey in particular looked confident in possession and WestallC did everything he could to get us into better positions. It was skipper WestallC who was instigator of the next event. He bundled through two defenders and was brought down inside the box. The official waved no offence to the away side's surprise. From my view it was a stone waller but I'm not the opinion that matters. Within 30secs there was a penalty, for Gunnislake. A huge swing against us which hurt even more when Ash Small scored his 2nd pen against us in 2 games to make it 3-1. I thought it was a penalty, but after the game McAllion was outspoken multiple times in his admittance that he'd dived. Our linesman/sub was warned for trying to "assist" in the decision but I respect that it's not the place of a team provided volunteer. 3-1 HT.

HT was a positive changing room despite the score line. We could only control our own mindset and performance and not let negativity or frustration take over. But despite lots of good possession in the middle 1/3 of the pitch, we huffed and puffed in terms of creating chances. Late on, it was all Torpoint, but robust defending from both Gunni centre halves were both brave and impressive in the timing of their tackles and last ditch blocks. The keeper also made two good saves in the last 5 to prevent us from any hope, one in particular making himself big, low to the ground to save. Against the momentum, Gunni secured victory. A counter down the right ended up in the net with WestallM wrong-footed. Didn't see why but have to assume the cross took a big deflection.

Credit to Gunni, they're a strong side, with their core of keeper, Southcott, centre half? Coton and McAllion good players. Coton was handled well yesterday though, being outshone by 2 players on the losing side. Apart from my difference of opinion on two monumental key decisions from the official, his handling of the game as a whole was very good. Calm throughout and the game didn't have a single bad tackle or look close to ever boiling over, which it did in the previous fixture in August. Though playing well and still losing hurts more than most losses, it sets up the Semi Final in March for an interesting one.

24 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Enjoyed your report thanks.

I was at the top end of the ground, and had a good view of your penalty claim, my immediate reaction was " no penalty".

Of the Gunnislake penalty I was too far away to be certain.

Anyway really enjoyed the game, Torpoint have some very tidy players, young lad on the left up front looks very talented.

Scoreline was a bit unfair on Torpoint as the referee says.

Hope the rest of your season goes well.

2 hours ago, Jeff's Telling said:

Enjoyed your report thanks.

I was at the top end of the ground, and had a good view of your penalty claim, my immediate reaction was " no penalty".

Of the Gunnislake penalty I was too far away to be certain.

Anyway really enjoyed the game, Torpoint have some very tidy players, young lad on the left up front looks very talented.

Scoreline was a bit unfair on Torpoint as the referee says.

Hope the rest of your season goes well.

Thanks JT. That’s why the man in the middle is the toughest gig in football. You and I have different angles of it but only one persons view matters. Allen is a good ref and I won’t hold it against him for long 🤣

22 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Thanks JT. That’s why the man in the middle is the toughest gig in football. You and I have different angles of it but only one persons view matters. Allen is a good ref and I won’t hold it against him for long 🤣

Ha ha I respect your comments and as we agree it’s all about angles and opinions. 🙄

6 hours ago, Jeff's Telling said:

Gunnislake 4- 1 Torpoint Athletic 3rds

Went along to this game as a neutral, so here are my thoughts.

A first visit to the good developing set up at Gunnislake, well done to everyone involved.

To the game, played out in front of 30-40 spectators I guess.

Gunnislake played down the slope, and with a strong following wind in the first half. On this particular day, a contrast in styles, with Torpoint attempting to put together well constructed moves, Gunnislake tending to get the ball forward much  quickly. The home side missed a couple of presentable chances before they took the lead after approx 20 mins, from a free kick just outside the penalty area, a good right foot shot clipped one post then nestled inside the far post.

Torpoint equalised with a stonewall penalty well despatched, although I think the keeper got his fingers to the ball.

Gunnislake retook the lead with probably their best move of the game, several passes down the right culminating with a great shot across the keeper.

The home side were awarded a penalty late in the first half, when a player was running away from the goal to possibly retrieve the ball was clumsily clipped by a defender. Torpoint protested a bit, but the calm presence of Mr Johns the referee soon put an end to that.

Penalty converted, by then it was just a question of whether Torpoint could get a goal or two back before half time to give themselves a better chance in the second half, they didn't so 3-1 at half time.

Much of the second half was fairly even imo, until the last 10-15 minutes when Torpoint pressed Gunnislake back, but during this time the home side broke away for their fourth goal ( which I didn't see as I was trying to help retrieve three balls that had sailed over the goal, high netting into the impenetrable railway cutting behind the goal.

So it finished 4-1 to the hom e team, the difference between the two being Gunnislake's very strong defence, particularly in the second half, their desire to get the ball forward quickly, set against Torpoint trying to construct good play, in pretty unfavourable conditions tbh.

Good to see plenty of subs available, two well run clubs clearly, and an excellent referee keeping things moving with minimal fuss.

IMG20220129142200.jpg

That is how you pass public judgement on referee decisions. By offering a difference of opinion but by having respect for theirs, respect for the game and for the task they are charged to carry out. It's actually refreshing. We don't always agree with with the middle persons opinion and decisions but there is a right way and a wrong way to share your thoughts so well done. @Jeff's Telling @Foul Throw 3