Cornwall Football Forum

Back By Unpopular Demand- It's Covid!!!

See that Truro's match at Hayes last night fell victim to COVID. and in particular the new Omnicon variant. Speaking from London where it is going through the population faster than a Tory staffer with a party buffet, it is heading your way soon. Suspect you are going to start to see match cancellations soon as players get infected.

Very interesting take. Ready to be shot down, by those that love COVID. Unfortunately teams, both professionally and amateur use COVID as an excuse.

In the instance, that for example; in the Championship the difference between promotion to the premier league, and just missing out is £100 million. Owners and managers, know that if 2-3 of there core squad are out with "Mild" COVID/Flu they can call the game off and have it replayed under "keeping everyone safe", without out it effecting their league position or there potential financial implications for fielding a weaker side and dropping down the league. 

3 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

*** BREAKING NEWS ***
Godolphin v Liskeard this Saturday is the first game to fall victim to the latest COVID variant.

"Those that love COVID" , any examples?

Perfect example, 3 people in work this week "Wouldn't mind catching, or saying I've got COVID for an extra 10 days off around Christmas."

I'm sure the 6 million that have died from it wish they had never caught it.

And that is the reported cases, god knows what the real figure is!

Not to be laughed at, or used as an excuse or for any other matter in all seriousness. Tell the "3" who fancy some time off to go out and catch it...seems easy enough to do...don't think they will though.

Two London clubs due to visit Bolitho this weekend in the Trophy. Given the tidal wave of new Covid cases in the capital, with Omicron causing the surge, there has to be a doubt about these two games. The Dulwich Hamlet Twitter is reporting that they have cancelled their supporter's coach to Plymouth through a lack of numbers

Numerous Premier League and Football League matches involving London clubs are already off this weekend. 

Its a shame that covid concerns and the Saturday before Christmas always being a low turnout for football as Dulwich Hamlet are the best supported club in the National League South averaging 2634.

Also I see apologies on the Dagenham & Redbridge site that their coach travel has been cancelled due to lack of interest for their visit on Sunday v Truro

48 minutes ago, Lannowethian said:

I suspect in both cases the “lack of interest” is largely about not wanting to spend 10 or so hours breathing the same air as 50 other coach passengers - there might still be a half-decent away turnout of people travelling by car. 

Not sure the FA Trophy is quite the draw that some think it to be (it certainly doesn't have the magic of the FA Vase). Clubs in the NL and NL South & North who are aiming for promotion (as 3rd placed Hamlet are) view it as a distraction from the main business in the league. Yes, Hamlet get bumper crowds in the league (2500 ish average) but the travelling distances for away support in that league are not that great, and they are based in a very well connected part of the city that has  gentrified rapidly with a young and cool demography who see Champions Hill as the place to be seen on a Saturday afternoon. It is also seen as one the better grounds to visit in terms of atmosphere, reasonable cost to get in and has an excellent food and drink offering. I myself have been there on several occasions (although I don't qualify as either young or cool)

Nine of the clubs in that league are either London or Essex based, with a further chunk on the London fringes (Kent, Surrey, Berkshire and Hertfordshire), the furthest trips are along the M5 to Bath City and down the South Coast to Havant & Waterlooville, and Eastbourne. Hope I'm wrong, but for reasons previously discussed, would be surprised if many travelled the 5 or so hours by car.