Cornwall Football Forum

Could A Petrol Shortage Start To Impact On Local Fixtures?

Given that most people drive to play and officiate in football matches across Cornwall, could a lack of available petrol/diesel start to impact upon fixtures? Had this in mind when I cycled to work this morning through North London, and went past either petrol stations that were closed or had huge queues outside them. Not sure what it's like in the South West, but it feels pretty bad around here (unless of course you are, like me, a smug non car owner).

After COVID (and that is still a live issue), and as a prelude to a possibly wet winter, it's just another thing to cause headaches.

2 hours ago, Keith B said:

Around here in West Devon it seems that most filling stations are limiting drivers to £30 or £40 worth of fuel, quite a good idea. People down here or in Cornwall on holiday may have to do a filling station hop home, where available of course.

No, it's not a good idea. Making the MINIMUM purchase £30 or £40 would be a good idea, allowances for motorbikes etc

9 hours ago, Keith B said:

It's supposed to be about conserving fuel supplies baldy. Limiting the amount of fuel per driver, in order to stop people filling up when there are fuel shortages due to a lack of tanker drivers, is a good idea in my opinion.

I how well is that idea doing then?

A manager of a multi national store whose warehouses were well overstocked with a certain slow retailing item that needed to be moved on to make way for other newer products was told by his head office to do the following.
The media were given and published the news that there was a shortage of their overstocked item, which in normal times would take months to clear, and within two weeks their overstocked and lack of space problem had been solved.
As long as people flock like sheep to panic buy at the first suggestion of a shortage, it will be used for the purposes above and invariably cause unnecessary problems to people regardless of whether it's true or not.
Although not widely repeated in the media, several in the fuel industry will tell you that the shortage is caused by people buying large amounts of fuel that they would not normally buy, whereas if normal supplies were purchased, the supply depots would have no problem replacing it.
From the comments made above it would appear that in areas where there is a ceiling on amounts purchased, a problem doesn't exist with replenishing fuel stocks.
We liked the sign outside a pub that warned of a potential beer shortage and advising customers to "PANIC BUY NOW!'' there's enterprise for you.

DON'T PANIC BUY!!!