Cornwall Football Forum

Mining League memories 1980-1982

Sharing information with a friend and some real blasts from the past came up. It was before my time down here but hopefully someone could fill in some details about some Mining League clubs that are no longer around, or confirm anything that is correct.

1980/81

St Ives Dodgems I believe to be a forerunner to the present St Ives Town. Played at Splattenridden before moving to The Saltings. Even went on a tour of America!

Pengegon from Camborne. Played at Park Road?

Heathcoats SC also from Camborne, played on the cricket pitch behind Camborne Cricket Club itself.

Trevu from Camborne. Don't know where they played.

St Erth played in a field in a lane on the Marazion road. Love Lane? Long Lane?

J & F Pool Hayle based works team that played on Horsepool Road in Connor Downs after losing their Guildford Road ground to the Industrial Estate.

Carnon Downs Old Quay from Devoran played at Duchy Grammar School on Tregye Road but I don't think Carnon Downs did. Any information would be greatly received.

'A' Division Police played at Park Road in Camborne.

Camborne Plough From Camborne but unsure on their ground.

Truro Athletic from Boscawen Park in Truro. Soon to be home of Truro City (just kidding @Rayvon)

Camborne SoM I know they are still going but this was in their original Mining League guise before lodging at Wendron. Played at Crane Road if memory serves me right.

Russell Hall Not a scooby on these boys so any information would be useful.

Treliske played on a sloping pitch which now necessitates a mortgage to pay for the privilege of parking your car there.

Barclays Bank no information on where they were based or what pitch they used

Whears Wanderers no idea where they were based, played or who they were!

1981/82

Malabar played on a big field in the wilds of Baldhu

Truro BRSA later to be known as the more familiar Truro GWRSA they played at Boscawen Park.

Warriors no idea. Anybody?

St.Ives Dodgems - correct as at Splatridden but i think St.Ives Town were also in existence at the time playing at Halsetown

Pengegon - Park Road

Heathcoats - correct

Trevu - Postman Pat has answered

St.Erth - a farm field at Long Lanes

J & FPool - correct

Carnon Downs - on a farm field past a council estate off Carnon Hill

Camborne Plough - Postman Pat has answered

Camborne Som - Cornwall College

Russell Hall - various pitches but one between Trevaskis Farm and Carnhell Green

Treliske - correct

Barclays Bank - may have been Clijah Croft

Whears Wanderers - no idea,may have been a 5 a side team?

Malabar - correct

Truro GWRSA - correct

Digging around in my shed to find further info. on the above,i came across a list of junior clubs in season 1986-87 who are no longer with us:

A Div.Police,Antony Western Kings,Barripper,Blackpool,Bodmin Town,Camborne Plough,Centrepoint,Cheesewring,Cornwall College,Cury,Duchy,Endeavour,Essa 81,Exiles,Falmouth Youth Club,Fowey,George & Dragon,Grampound Road,Gulval,Gweek,Heamoor,Heathcoats,Heavy Transport,Ladock,Landrake(?),Malabar,Mawgan,Menheniot,Mylor,Nancegollan,Newquay Bunt & Coker,Notterbridge,Penwith Exiles,Penwithick,Polruan,Pool,Porthleven,Port Isaac,RAF St.Mawgan (?),St.Erth,St.Lawrences,St.Mabyn,St.Mellion(?),Sennen,Tideford,Tortude,Treliske,Trispen,Truro BRSA,Truro Daniell and Veor.

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

Yes but they they belonged to Pengegon. They played on the pitch nearest to park road and a d police played on the other one which had the changing rooms at the top. I think the concrete base is still there today, but not been there for a few years 

It's a shame when in the days when changing rooms weren't always a necessity that these grounds had them in place.  Two what were perfectly good pitches with changing rooms and now look at them.

19 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

`1989-90:

A Div Police at Park Road,Camborne

Camborne Plough at Illogan Park

Camborne SOM at Cornwall College

Pengegon at Park Road,Camborne

St.Erth at Tregothas Farm,St.Erth

Truro BRSA at Boscawen Park,Truro

Tregothas Farm is listed as Fraddam if it's still there.

43 minutes ago, Soccer Follower said:

I always remember them playing on the same pitch at what i think was Long Lanes and which appeared to have cows on it before the match.

Tregothas Farm was taken from the club directory for that season.

Cornish Teddy Boy mentioned Long Lane a while ago. I remember reading in an old Truro programme about a now former referee possibly Mike Golley or Tony Bilsland who said they had to move the cow pats off the St Erth pitch before a game 

19 minutes ago, Fanfare said:

Cornish Teddy Boy mentioned Long Lane a while ago. I remember reading in an old Truro programme about a now former referee possibly Mike Golley or Tony Bilsland who said they had to move the cow pats off the St Erth pitch before a game 

The bottom end,pitch sloped downhill(or uphill lol),was a mess where the cows had been standing and moving around.

On 21/02/2019 at 17:01, Soccer Follower said:

Digging around in my shed to find further info. on the above,i came across a list of junior clubs in season 1986-87 who are no longer with us:

A Div.Police,Antony Western Kings,Barripper,Blackpool,Bodmin Town,Camborne Plough,Centrepoint,Cheesewring,Cornwall College,Cury,Duchy,Endeavour,Essa 81,Exiles,Falmouth Youth Club,Fowey,George & Dragon,Grampound Road,Gulval,Gweek,Heamoor,Heathcoats,Heavy Transport,Ladock,Landrake(?),Malabar,Mawgan,Menheniot,Mylor,Nancegollan,Newquay Bunt & Coker,Notterbridge,Penwith Exiles,Penwithick,Polruan,Pool,Porthleven,Port Isaac,RAF St.Mawgan (?),St.Erth,St.Lawrences,St.Mabyn,St.Mellion(?),Sennen,Tideford,Tortude,Treliske,Trispen,Truro BRSA,Truro Daniell and Veor.

Endeavour and Heavy Transport played at Par Running Track,Blackpool out at Trewoon(bit on the the slopy side!),RAF St Mawgan at St Eval,Penwithick down at Stennack Moor,St Lawrence’s on the hospital site(another slopy one,now housing estate)

Antony Western Kings - Antony Field

Barripper - Barripper Cricket Club

Cury - Jubilee Field

Duchy/Falmouth YC - Dracaena Avenue 

Fowey - Squire's Field

George & Dragon - Coldharbour Lane

Gulval - St Clare

Gweek - Gweek Lane

Landrake - Warfelton

Mylor - Waterings Road

Nancegollan - Drym Road

Sennen - Mayon Green

Tideford - Tideford Cross

This thread on the forum has brought back a few refereeing memories for one of our readers, he's sent in the following:

Mining League 75th Anniversary on Sunday 15th March 1981 at Oxland Park Illogan.

Mining Division Division 2 v Camborne-Redruth-Truro Referees Association.

Admission 20p  O.A.Ps 10p

Teams:

Mining Division

M Wither                   Camborne School of Mines

D. Bollard                  Lanner

E. Trudgeon              Camborne Plough

D. Horam                   Barclays Bank

G. Warren                  Holman S.C.

N.  Oates                   Truro Ath

J. Pellow                    Pengegon

G. Hosking                Whears Warriors

C. Quinn                   Russell Hall

M. Curnow                Heathcote S.C.

P. Stephens              Treliske

Subs:

M. Jane                      Goonhavern

T. Bennetts                 Goonhavern

C. Smith                     Pengegon

P.;Hampton                Hayle

Kwesi Eyuyan           Camborne S. M.

Camborne-Redruth-Truro Referees  C.R.T.

Alan Woodrow

Ray Rowe

Mike Richards

Mike Fox

Bruce Bayley

Tony Reynolds

Terry Simmonds

Jimmy Sanderson

David James

Graham Emmett

Ray Woodhouse

Subs:

John Pope

Kevin Adams

Nigel Hosking

Fred Davis

Ron Cooke

Referee:  Sid Thomas

Linesman: Paul Broomfiield and Gerald Searle

Unfortunately the score remains a mystery, but the Mining League won and Ray Rowe scored an own goal!

On 01/03/2019 at 11:35, Dave Deacon said:

Who? 🤣

The same David James listed in the match day programme for Marazion Blues against Falmouth Town in 1978?

Incidentally Marazion were hoping that soon their supporters will be able to watch from a grandstand!