Cornwall Football Forum

Caleb Summerfield

With so much abuse and personal insults on this forum, I read this and it certainly puts things into perspective. Report comes from The Cornish Times.

Saltash United defender Caleb Summerfield has been given the all-clear after having tests on his heart and respiratory system.

The 18-year-old left back needed treatment from paramedics after having to be substituted during Wednesday’s Carlsberg South West Peninsula League premier division game against Exmouth Town at Kimberley Stadium.

Saltash manager Matt Cusack said: ‘It is good news for Caleb but we won’t play him at the weekend.’

Summerfield looked to be having breathing problems early on in Wednesday’s match but he continued playing until two minutes before half-time when he went down holding his back.

After treatment during the half-time break, Summerfield re-emerged for the second half but collapsed again on the hour, when he was substituted.

He walked back to the dressing room but he continued to feel unwell and he received further treatment from paramedics in an ambulance outside the Kimberley Stadium ground.

I can only join in wishing the lad a full recovery after expert assessment and care. 

While I can understand an eighteen-year-olds determination to play on through the pain/discomfort barrier, I do wonder about older and wiser heads allowing him to come on for the second half having exhibited breathing problems and later collapsing before half time.

All clubs should be aware of their duty of care to young players. Maybe welfare courses should be mandatory for managers too.

5 hours ago, herbie777 said:

Good luck to the young man he is a fine player, although it does seem a bit irresponsible to me sending him back out for the 2nd half 

Sometimes a player is reluctant to admit he can't continue. Stuart Pearce once played on with a broken leg and didn't want to go off. Thankfully this was a situation that had a happy ending.

7 hours ago, Fanfare said:

With so much abuse and personal insults on this forum, I read this and it certainly puts things into perspective. Report comes from The Cornish Times.

Saltash United defender Caleb Summerfield has been given the all-clear after having tests on his heart and respiratory system.

The 18-year-old left back needed treatment from paramedics after having to be substituted during Wednesday’s Carlsberg South West Peninsula League premier division game against Exmouth Town at Kimberley Stadium.

Saltash manager Matt Cusack said: ‘It is good news for Caleb but we won’t play him at the weekend.’

Summerfield looked to be having breathing problems early on in Wednesday’s match but he continued playing until two minutes before half-time when he went down holding his back.

After treatment during the half-time break, Summerfield re-emerged for the second half but collapsed again on the hour, when he was substituted.

He walked back to the dressing room but he continued to feel unwell and he received further treatment from paramedics in an ambulance outside the Kimberley Stadium ground.

Great to hear the young lad has been given the all-clear.

Caleb has become a very welcome new member to "the ashes" squad this season.

1 hour ago, Fanfare said:

Sometimes a player is reluctant to admit he can't continue. Stuart Pearce once played on with a broken leg and didn't want to go off. Thankfully this was a situation that had a happy ending.

Thank you Fanfare. My point proven, that just shows that testosterone fuelled young men are not always the best judge of what’s in their best interest.