Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy League - Saturday May 6 2017

Please feel free to post your postponement, result, goalscorers and post-match comments             

Premier Division

Foxhole Stars     8-1              Callington Town

Pelynt   0-5          North Petherwin

St Minver   5-1      Saltash United  

Torpoint Athletic      4-6            St Stephen

Division 1

Grampound    5-2             Gunnislake

Gerrans & St Mawes Utd        4-2             St Dennis

Division 2

St Cleer           2-1           Tregrehan Mills

Division 3

Grampound Reserves    0-9         Pensilva

Division 4

Dobwalls          4-3       Foxhole Stars Reserves

Division 5

Looe Town         1-1      Lostwithiel Reserves

Southgate          1-0            Liskeard Athletic

JJ Jones Duchy Football League

New Premier Champions St Minver continued their winning ways beating Saltash United 5-1 although the game was evenly poised until just before the midway point of the second half. Paul Menhinick put St Minver ahead but Saltash equalised with a wonder shot from thirty yards from Cameron Copp. Will George put the hosts back in front in the 65th minute and shortly after Christian Cleave was brought down in the box and Ryan Pooley fired in the penalty kick. St Minver’s fourth came when a corner was met at the front post by Will George. The final goal came from Menhinick with his second of the game.

Its advantage St Stephen in the battle for runners up. They won 6-4 at Torpoint Athletic after withstanding a fierce second half fight back from the home side. Sam Merchant scored from ten yards in the 9th minute to give St Stephen the lead and Courtney Rowe scored their second from the penalty spot in the 34th minute. Rowe scored his second in the 40th minute and Ben Willetts stretched the advantage to four goals by half time. The Torpoint fightback started in the 62nd minute through Chris Westall and a minute later Liam Thornton got their second. Westall scored again to reduce the gap to one goal. St Stephen rallied with Craig Coad scoring in the 78th minute and three minutes later Merchant scored his second. Guy Powney headed the game’s final goal in the 83rd minute for Torpoint.

Foxhole overwhelmed Callington Town 8-1. Lee Reed-Bennett and Nathan Pappiononnou scored a brace apiece with Levi Kerrigan, Jack Nancarrow, Phil Hutchings and Aidan Dingle adding a goal apiece.

North Petherwin players arrived in Hawaiian dress for the match at Pelynt determined to enjoy their last away match of the season. They won 5-0 with goals from Marius Pislabu, Mark Elvidge, Josh Sanders and a Joe Reeve brace.

St Dennis wrapped up the Division One title in midweek and hoped to go through the season unbeaten. They faced a difficult away game at Gerrans & St Mawes United a side still with promotion ambitions of their own. This proved a game too far for St Dennis as the home side won 4-2. Charlie Jones scored a brace for GSM with the other two goals both of outstanding quality coming from Harry Wilshaw. Jordi Willmott scored both St Dennis goals and whilst disappointed to have come so close to going through the season unbeaten they can reflect on an outstanding season. GSM and Veryan now face off for runners up spot next Saturday with a draw enough for GSM to claim the promotion place.

Grampound still maintain hopes of avoiding the drop. They beat Gunnislake 5-2 and now will need to win their last game at home to AFC Bodmin to secure what appeared just a few games ago an unlikely escape. They went behind after some lapse defending. A long free kick from 40 yards hit a post and Kieran Jasper was the quickest to respond, tapping home. Grampound found an immediate response with an equaliser from Martin Baker. The home defence were again at fault fifteen minutes before half time and Mike Bluett restored the visitors lead. Again the home response was instant with Adam Hayne scoring to send the teams into half time level. Grampound had missed a number of first half chances but were much more clinical after the break with Baker hitting a second half hat trick to take him to four goals overall and give his side a crucial three points.

In the only Division Two game between two mid table sides St Cleer beat Tregrehan Mills 2-1. Charlie Coates scored a brace for the hosts with Steve Haynes replying for Tregrehan.

Pensilva has finished third in Division Three after a thumping 9-0 win at Grampound reserves. Sam Rogers scored four goals with Dave Hicks, Duane Williams, Zak Mitchell and free kicks from Liam Donaghy and Marc Tuck completing the rout.

Division Four champions Dobwalls came from 3-1 down to beat Foxhole reserves 4-3 in their final game. Matt Bryant, Sam Hummagain and Ben Gaynor scored for Dobwalls with their winner coming fittingly from player-manager Steve Luscombe.

Liskeard Athletic has failed in their challenge to take the runners up spot in Division Five. They lost 1-0 to a Brandon Ambrose goal at Southgate Seniors and will finish in third place. Southgate’s win gives them a fourth place finish.

Looe Town and Lostwithiel Reserves drew one all. Travis Smith scored for Looe with AJ Owen replying for Lostwithiel.

Duchy Premier = Torpoint ATh 4 - 6 St Stephen

A bit of a strange game but plenty of action to entertain the neutral.

St Stephen were good for their half time lead but 4 - 0 was slightly flattering.

Torpoint were fired up after the break and within half an hour were back to 4 - 3. although the visitors had by then missed a couple of relatively easy chances. The next five minutes saw St Stephen knock in two more but Torpoint pulled another back  a few minutes later.

St Stephen ended victorious but it could have gone iether way. 

The premier division runners-up spot goes down to the wire with Saints having played 20 on 41 points and torpoint played 21 and on 40 points.

Torpoint will expect to get three points from their last game against Callington next Saturday meanwhile St Stephen face St Minver on wednesday - too close to call - and then North Petherwin on Saturday which is by no means a certain win. An interesting week ahead.

LC Phoenix currently occupy second place having played all their games and could, of  course, hold on to the spot should the other two suffer meltdowns.

Duchy 1: Grampound 5-2 Gunnislake (HT 2-2)

Grampound kept their Division 1 survival hopes alive with a well-deserved win, Grampound scorers were Martin Baker (4) and Adam Hayne. Grampound had enough first half chances to be well ahead but couldn't make them count and a lack of concentration allowed the visitors to take the lead twice. Grampound showed a little more composure in the second half and gradually pulled away but Gunnislake always looked a threat (and in my opinion played better than they did last week when they beat us).

Thanks to Gunnislake for a good cometitive game and now it's on to next week when only a win will do against Bodmin.

1 hour ago, Paul Collings said:

St Stephen were good for their half time lead but 4 - 0 was slightly flattering.

Torpoint were fired up after the break and within half an hour were back to 4 - 3. although the visitors had by then missed a couple of relatively easy chances. The next five minutes saw St Stephen knock in two more but Torpoint pulled another back  a few minutes later.

The premier division runners-up spot goes down to the wire with Saints having played 20 on 41 points and torpoint played 21 and on 40 points.

Torpoint will expect to get three points from their last game against Callington next Saturday meanwhile St Stephen face St Minver on wednesday - too close to call - and then North Petherwin on Saturday which is by no means a certain win. An interesting week ahead.

LC Phoenix currently occupy second place having played all their games and could, of  course, hold on to the spot should the other two suffer meltdowns.

Don't think our halftime lead flatterd is best team on the day apart from 4 set pieces. 

48 minutes ago, manutdfcok said:

Anyone going to give a report on the GSM  v St Dennis game . 4-2 to GSM  i hear. Some local derby game next Saturday. GSM v Veryan runners up shoot out ?

We weren't at our best 1st half n gsm went in 3-0 at half time,we came back 3-2 n cud of pinched a draw but got caught n gsm scored their 4th nr the end,we had enough chances to win but didn't take them where gsm did so they deserved the win,looking forward to next season as duchy prem will b a very strong league n guarenteed the junior cup will b won by a team in this division!!

good luck to veryan n gsm for runner up next week

2 hours ago, Paul Collings said:

Game was ruined by St Stephens after they brought in 6 Sticker first team players!! I'm sure the rule is 2 senior players per Duchy side! A fairly even game other than the exceptional Sean Merchant playing St Stephens. Ridiculous. A great game for the neutral however 

23 minutes ago, davegrose said:

We weren't at our best 1st half n gsm went in 3-0 at half time,we came back 3-2 n cud of pinched a draw but got caught n gsm scored their 4th nr the end,we had enough chances to win but didn't take them where gsm did so they deserved the win,looking forward to next season as duchy prem will b a very strong league n guarenteed the junior cup will b won by a team in this division!!

good luck to veryan n gsm for runner up next week

Went to watch this game today as winners and top three team playing - not the best game I have seen this season. 

GSM had a solid defence and a striker who when interested was outstandingl with his pace and finishing. Their midfield was clearly missing players as looked cumbersome, at best  

St Dennis, being totally honest, were very disappointing and must have been missing players, as their performance for 75 minutes today was not that of an undefeated team. Must have been disappointing for them to loose  their unbeaten record on such a bad performance. 

GSM wanted the game more and had a refreshingly united tram spirit so good luck to them 

The referee today (please don't berate me for this as honest view) was poor - an older ref who whilst consistent missed so much of what was happening from the centre circle - for both sides.  The GSM lineman also made some contenscious decisions - I'm sure he thought he was right at the time.

All in all, better than shopping for wallpaper, but not by much. 

7 minutes ago, TAFC 4 EVA said:

Game was ruined by St Stephens after they brought in 6 Sticker first team players!! I'm sure the rule is 2 senior players per Duchy side! A fairly even game other than the exceptional Sean Merchant playing St Stephens. Ridiculous. A great game for the neutral however 

Correct rule is 2 seniors we had one and he was class. Horrible when shoe on the other foot ?

3 minutes ago, coady-9 said:

Correct rule is 2 seniors we had one and he was class. Horrible when shoe on the other foot ?

No you 6. I've seen your right back, left winger and centre half playing for St Dennis this year. As well as your goalkeeper has been playing in East Cornwall his whole career. 

1 minute ago, coady-9 said:

He has been playing east Cornwall up till this year. Sean merchant pulled strings all game makin your 2nds look average

We only had 4 2nd team players in today, Jack Wood, Westy, Bisho and Robbo in today. It's slightly different getting players in from other teams though isn't it. We are one club!

Someone related to Torpoint moaning about about senior players coming in... The only reason youve  competed in Duchy the last few season is because u play so many midweekers you've constantly got the quality from your second/first team to call on. Which is fair enough but don't moan about other teams doin it 

1 minute ago, OldFan said:

Someone related to Torpoint moaning about about senior players coming in... The only reason youve  competed in Duchy the last few season is because u play so many midweekers you've constantly got the quality from your second/first team to call on. Which is fair enough but don't moan about other teams doin it 

Not true unfortunatly. I can't speak for the 2nd team as I'm torpoint thirds through and through but we haven't played any senior players throughout the season after last season!

1 hour ago, coady-9 said:

Hang your boots up dave

Will next season after Iv kicked u off the pitch u toad

52 minutes ago, TAFC 4 EVA said:

No you 6. I've seen your right back, left winger and centre half playing for St Dennis this year. As well as your goalkeeper has been playing in East Cornwall his whole career. 

Who r they then? 

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

Went to watch this game today as winners and top three team playing - not the best game I have seen this season. 

GSM had a solid defence and a striker who when interested was outstandingl with his pace and finishing. Their midfield was clearly missing players as looked cumbersome, at best  

St Dennis, being totally honest, were very disappointing and must have been missing players, as their performance for 75 minutes today was not that of an undefeated team. Must have been disappointing for them to loose  their unbeaten record on such a bad performance. 

GSM wanted the game more and had a refreshingly united tram spirit so good luck to them 

The referee today (please don't berate me for this as honest view) was poor - an older ref who whilst consistent missed so much of what was happening from the centre circle - for both sides.  The GSM lineman also made some contenscious decisions - I'm sure he thought he was right at the time.

All in all, better than shopping for wallpaper, but not by much. 

Sorry to disappoint bob but after several games these past 2 weeks legs r gonna get tired n we were rotating injured players  the best we could,we did have a couple un available but still turned up with 15 albeit knackered,good to hear a neutrals view on the decisions made by the ref/Lino as it's a fair call not that I'm complaining about it lol

sat  tues thurs sat mon weds today,our games last 2 weeks

5 minutes ago, TAFC 4 EVA said:

Right back Leon Damerell, Left winger Cameron Rowe, centre back John Stone and goalkeeper Sam Raven.

Have u guessed these names?

luke Damerell played st Dennis res last yr,Courtney Rowe played st Stephen last yr,joe stone ain't played for st Dennis since Xmas cos he's awful,Steve raven been st Stephen most of the season I think work allowing?

I played for st Stephens last yr so I no,think ur mad cos u got rumbled wen u cheated us last season n got caught u cheeky urchin

12 minutes ago, davegrose said:

Sorry to disappoint bob but after several games these past 2 weeks legs r gonna get tired n we were rotating injured players  the best we could,we did have a couple un available but still turned up with 15 albeit knackered,good to hear a neutrals view on the decisions made by the ref/Lino as it's a fair call not that I'm complaining about it lol

luke Damerell played st Dennis res last yr,Courtney Rowe played st Stephen last yr,joe stone ain't played for st Dennis since Xmas cos he's awful,Steve raven been st Stephen most of the season I think work allowing?

I played for st Stephens last yr so I no,think ur mad cos u got rumbled wen u cheated us last season n got caught u cheeky urchin

You certainly did Dave. And you were mom on the day against our thirds up here last year 

41 minutes ago, davegrose said:

Dave  - any team that goes all season without defeat (up till last game) deserves all the credit. Well done on League, I'll come and watch you in the Prem next season. 

31 minutes ago, TAFC 4 EVA said:

You certainly did Dave. And you were mom on the day against our thirds up here last year 

No doubting that lol

1 minute ago, Bobjfh said:

Dave  - any team that goes all season without defeat (up till last game) deserves all the credit. Well done on League, I'll come and watch you in the Prem next season. 

Cheers for that,Hopefully we will put on a better show next season,all credit to the boys that turn up every week been a pleasure to play alongside with n mega proud that we have only lost 1 game in the league all season !

I was waiting for this !!!! A guy who goes and watches our undefeated 2nd team other then today. Then comment, were was he all season, ? Like Grosey said, playing that many games in so many days does actually take it toll on players. Of course your going to see a completely different saints side (mentally) Especially at a standered were you won't be fit 24/7. 

League has been won guys, don't worry about it, you've not only done yourselfs proud but a village and people that didn't think that u could do it proud. 

Prem next year lads. Well done green machine ???

24 minutes ago, LeeRicks9 said:

I was waiting for this !!!! A guy who goes and watches our undefeated 2nd team other then today. Then comment, were was he all season, ? Like Grosey said, playing that many games in so many days does actually take it toll on players. Of course your going to see a completely different saints side (mentally) Especially at a standered were you won't be fit 24/7. 

League has been won guys, don't worry about it, you've not only done yourselfs proud but a village and people that didn't think that u could do it proud. 

Prem next year lads. Well done green machine ???

LeeRicks9 - like you I was at SWPL matches all season but as they've finished thought I'd take in a good local game today.

Sorry if you think I was having a go at St Dennis - but didn't hear Dave disagreeing with anything I said, they we not on form today - I also gave them due credit for their great season, however if that's your response as one of their senior players I won't bother next season as don't want to offend by having an opinion. 

I apologise mate I don't recognise your name on Here i was only stated for a team of that quality, of course they are not gunna be at their best with the amount of games they've played in such a short space of time.

Theyve won the league and now they can just relax and enjoy their footy regardless of going undefeated 

7 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

LeeRicks9 - like you I was at SWPL matches all season but as they've finished thought I'd take in a good local game today.

Sorry if you think I was having a go at St Dennis - but didn't hear Dave disagreeing with anything I said, they we not on form today - I also gave them due credit for their great season, however if that's your response as one of their senior players I won't bother next season as don't want to offend by having an opinion. 

Think Lee mis read/interpreted wot u were sayin bob as he was at a wedding all day yesterday on the booze lol

10 hours ago, TAFC 4 EVA said:

Not true unfortunatly. I can't speak for the 2nd team as I'm torpoint thirds through and through but we haven't played any senior players throughout the season after last season!

Next joke!

Torpoint v St Stephen

I'm so glad everyone enjoyed their game of football yesterday.

I thought that the standard of play was pretty much normal for the top half of the Duchy Premier.

If any of the players out there were 'too good' - as is basically being suggested - then i certainly didn't notice !

22 hours ago, TAFC 4 EVA said:

Will welcome st Stephens/Sticker players to the home of the champions on Wednesday. Please stay watch us pick up the trophy.

23 hours ago, TAFC 4 EVA said:

Wow. That's some claim. Wasn't the sight of us defending set pieces like a bunch of pissed donkeys a slight giveaway that majority of us haven't played at peninsula level before? 

1 hour ago, will.i.am said:

Wow. That's some claim. Wasn't the sight of us defending set pieces like a bunch of pissed donkeys a slight giveaway that majority of us haven't played at peninsula level before? 

Sorry Will was only relaying the information I've been told. Yes, your defending from set pieces wasn't great but that was largely down to the St Stephens right back who kept losing Westy on corners