Cornwall Football Forum

Sadly another club pull out of a fixture!

Vospers, already relegated out of the SWPL after Saturday's results, have announced today that they will not be travelling to Porthleven for Wednesday's rearranged league fixture.

TheIr manager confirms .....but surely the players are to blame for this poor show!

IMG_1475.PNG

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Vospers, already relegated out of the SWPL after Saturday's results, have announced today that they will not be travelling to Porthleven for Wednesday's rearranged league fixture.

TheIr manager confirms .....but surely the players are to blame for this poor show!

IMG_1475.PNG

You cannot blame them - travelling all that way for an evening fixture ! Most of the team are probably in full time employment and cannot afford to lose wages just to play a meaningless game of football travelling 70 miles plus. Surely this could have been fixture for a Saturday.

9 minutes ago, BIG AL said:

You cannot blame them - travelling all that way for an evening fixture ! Most of the team are probably in full time employment and cannot afford to lose wages just to play a meaningless game of football travelling 70 miles plus. Surely this could have been fixture for a Saturday.

It was but they were a no show!

Of course the players are to blame - when they sign up for a SWPL side they know what's in store.

The original game was due to be played last month but as quoted on the SWPL website :"...whilst one game was not played as Vospers Oak Villa failed to arrive at Porthleven, the circumstances of that are a matter for the league to investigate."

As all games have to played by this coming Saturday the only other choice would've been for Mousehole to travel to Vospers for a 6.30 kick of today, leaving Saturday free for the Porthleven v Vospers game. Not really an option that any sane person would consider!

10 hours ago, John Mead said:

As all games have to played by this coming Saturday the only other choice would've been for Mousehole to travel to Vospers for a 6.30 kick of today, leaving Saturday free for the Porthleven v Vospers game. Not really an option that any sane person would consider!

The League are always correct!!

I remember having to juggle work and family commitments at the end of every season. Every year we played fixtures in Plymouth during the week to get games in. One year we traveled to Appledore on a Sunday because there was no other day to play and Peter George from St Buryan was the referee! I don't think things have ever been too much different and if you sign up to play in the SWPL then get used to travelling and mid-week games. The more successful you are the bigger the backlog. We finished one season playing 11 games in the final 22 days. To say we were tired is an understatement. 

I appreciate that life and work is different these days and have commented as such in previous posts, but this is not a new problem.

4 minutes ago, Tommy Matthews said:

I remember having to juggle work and family commitments at the end of every season. Every year we played fixtures in Plymouth during the week to get games in. One year we traveled to Appledore on a Sunday because there was no other day to play and Peter George from St Buryan was the referee! I don't think things have ever been too much different and if you sign up to play in the SWPL then get used to travelling and mid-week games. The more successful you are the bigger the backlog. We finished one season playing 11 games in the final 22 days. To say we were tired is an understatement. 

I appreciate that life and work is different these days and have commented as such in previous posts, but this is not a new problem.

And who pays for loss of earnings, the ordinary manual worker is on hourly rate and NOT a fixed salary as in a profession ?

2 hours ago, BIG AL said:

And who pays for loss of earnings, the ordinary manual worker is on hourly rate and NOT a fixed salary as in a profession ?

Nor was I at the time Big Al, I just organised myself well and was totally committed to playing for my team. I will agree though, the season was a bit longer and to get all the fixtures in at present is tough. We could never have done it without a top fixtures secretary whose brilliant organisation was as much to do with our success as the players.

I'm not having a moan, I'm just saying it's not something new.

The simple fact of this game is that it was due to be played tonight because Vospers failed to show at Porthleven on a Saturday last month. They informed Porthleven at 3:15 on the Saturday afternoon with Porthleven changed and ready and  spectators in the ground that they would not be playing.