Cornwall Football Forum

FALMOUTH ATHLETIC NEEDS A LINESPERSON /REF ASS

So what's that? I know there was three but I only know Steve, so that's three gone. Bobby Bryant has gone to Falmouth Town so that is another one gone. Ryan Trathen has gone Porthleven, and Chris Tolley and Luke Kelland have gone to St Day! Last seasons side wont be as strong as they was last season, although I still think they will be ok, got some decent players still, and it would be a shame for a side who done well last season to have to have this problem already. I know I said they were for the drop, and i agree, that was harsh of me, i personally think they will be ok, its just a shame Phil has done this to the club so close to the start of the season! Whoever takes over will not only have to sort the team out quick, but they will also have a big job in getting new players to the club. All i will say is good luck to whoever takes out Falmouth Athletic!

The demise of Fal Athletic, MMMMMM, don't know about that, but they have always lacked a bit of ambition. Still playing on the old Falmouth dump/pig fields, maybe should have tried for their own ground by now but have not bothered. Had a bit of luck when the new centre was built and that brought in a few players, but that interest soon dies. Threw a few bob around on the odd ocassion when they brought in the odd ringer for a biggish game but other than that they will always be what they are and where they are - ocassional one hit wonders. The bubbles burst down there I think. I still wish them well though, they have been going a long time and provide football for those in their local area.

I suspect Philip's main reason for doing this is to try and feed his sons through into a higher level of football - they only seem to play at clubs where Philip has an influence. Fair enough I suppose.

Disappointed for Athletic, with this coming at such a late stage and feel that they may suffer from 2nd season blues but hope not. Also hope that the remaining players don't move sheep-like to Penryn.

Phil has done a fantastic job with Fal Ath and i,m sure they will survive, and wish him the best of luck at Penryn.

However the job in hand will be just as difficult as Ath as most are aware with the return of Steve and Dale managing the first team they are short on players and the oppurtunity for the three Kellow bros to join the team is a major asset and all three are quite capable of playing at that level and I hope they have a very good season.

I also hope that Joeythejoker takes the time to list the players that have left Penryn combo and every other club, but as you know players will move around like ants in the first month of the season.

Good luck to Falmouth and Phil for the coming season

the club will have to get on with it, my winno statementd is that how poor the keepers are in this league having to rely on a 41 year old .. not saying he is no good but a lack of keepers around.

and phil best of luck and good job you are staying in football a big loss for any club

Port ledge, that statement regarding winno is extreme. Keepers are still strong, in my case inconsistent but strong.

Port ledge you know exactly who I am and I suspect I know who you are, and you haven't proven to be in a strong confident position to criticise a goalkeeper like Winno. I'll take it like I deserve but Winno doesn't deserve it.....he's a proven ability!!!!

Jamie Gray

The Falmouth Athletic chairman is quoted in the local rag today as saying “There have been no problems between Mr Kellow and the club,” he said. “His reason for leaving is so he can further his sons’ football careers at Penryn.

I hadn't appreciated that this was Philip's sole reason for leaving Athletic. It begs the general question as to whether young players would be better off away from the management/coaching of their parent(s) in order to develop their careers, as the perceptions can be that 'so and so' is only in the side because his dad is the manager. I'm sure we all know cases where this is true and also cases where players are selected entirely on merit. In this particular case, if the boys are good enough to progress into the first team at Penryn they would do so without a helping hand (and accusations of nepotism?)

Over the years I have managed several clubs in the Sussex area but would never become involved at any club where either of my two sons were playing. While quite happy to give advice and guidance, my preference was that they stand on their own two feet and find the right standard of club for their own differing abilities.

This isn't a 'pop' at Philip, who I know and like, but I just feel it can generally be too counter-productive to have too close a hand on the tiller.

dear dirty thirty tadge

that was not a pop or criticise winno, who i have known for a long time and played with him too , just saying lack of good keepers around, well when i was playing at a standard they called senior football it was a massive gap between FHFL & COMBO,thats what i am saying when you say inconsistent - true but strong - no ..

you may know me as a person but you don't know me to that well .......

I think most teams in their 2nd season in the combo tend to struggle as the 'unknown quantity' tends to fade, also players move around and get poached by the 'bigger teams'. However with this coming just a week before the season starts can only make you think that this will be a long and hard season for athletic. Hopefully a new manager will be found soon. I am sure though, that through hard work, and if the current crop of players stick together they will be safe.

It does seem strange that Winno was in fact asking Paul Murray at falmouth town whether he could join them this season!

Also themanhimself are,nt you the voice of Winno? he tells you what to put on here and you do it. Just because you run the line for Penryn combo you can have an opinion of your own mate!!!!!!!!!

I do agree with an earlier post sometimes you are better to allow your sons/daughtwers to do their own thing and be treated as equals in a team, and also it tends to let them express themselves amongst their teammates without having to look over their shoulders to see if their parents are listening.

That said Phil has a very close knit family, and each and everyone gets involved,I see this as a fantastic family set up with everyone supporting each other in the many sports this family participate in.

Players move around and on this occasion a manager has done no differently,Yes it was close to the start of the season but now Ath should put all their efforts in getting a replacement ready for the season coming.

Toyer instead of trying to wind people up y don't you put all your experience and know how into one basket and step into the chair at Athletic and help them out!! Take up the challenge you could even get a few of your special players in to come and help you out!!! Xxxx

Phil has gone that's life unfortunently people godda get on with it penryns gain athletics loss!! There's no sour grapes between Phil and athletic so just leave it at that football is a dog eat dog environment especially with so many sides in close proximity of each other!! I wish Athletic all the best for the season I'm sure they will be ok!!!

defo no sour grapes at ath, its life and its only football there is so many other things in life that more important...... im sure ath will get a new manager soon, there are a few interested people, but it has to be the right person for the job ,in the meantime there is a caretaker/ assistant looking after the side till the appointment is made watch this space...

the main thing it wont be an illegal approach the manager will come to us not us going to them as it states in the rules the managers are part of the club and can be seen as an illegal approach.

the main thing it wont be an illegal approach the manager will come to us not us going to them as it states in the rules the managers are part of the club and can be seen as an illegal approach.

WOW!!!! a whiter than white club, never seen one of those. Best of luck for the season Ben - oops!!!! sorry port ledge.

I personally think Athletic will be fine. the club will stick together as always and both teams will have to make sacrifices. I'm looking forward to the season weather its combo or division 2 I think both teams will work harder for each other and still suprise people

I personally think Athletic will be fine. the club will stick together as always and both teams will have to make sacrifices. I'm looking forward to the season weather its combo or division 2 I think both teams will work harder for each other and still suprise people

That is exactly what I thought last season when Penzance played them. Upset one, upset them all. All for one, one for all attitude, good to see.

Almost a bunker mentality which is what we need at Penzance at the moment.

Fal Athletic will be fine, they have got hard working people like Derek in the background and they still have a number of good players at the club. Sometimes a change is as good as a rest. We at Falmouth Town wish you all the best.

really looking forward to tomorrow, shall be interesting all round, and my first taste of management in football - may like or no likey?

oh cornish blue maybe you should come back into management ! fancy it let me tomorrow night? you would do well in senior management.

good luck to every one tomorrow, all the best all for the season....

really looking forward to tomorrow, shall be interesting all round, and my first taste of management in football - may like or no likey?

oh cornish blue maybe you should come back into management ! fancy it let me tomorrow night? you would do well in senior management.

Will you be looking to take charge full time Stu??

Good luck tommorrow :c:

Port ledge, that statement regarding winno is extreme. Keepers are still strong, in my case inconsistent but strong.

Port ledge you know exactly who I am and I suspect I know who you are, and you haven't proven to be in a strong confident position to criticise a goalkeeper like Winno. I'll take it like I deserve but Winno doesn't deserve it.....he's a proven ability!!!!

Jamie Gray

sorry Jamie

the statement i made about inconsistent - true and strong - no was a general statement about keepers not you personnaly, im not here for that and hope i have not offended you in any way? have a good game tommorrow :wacko:

Will you be looking to take charge full time Stu??

Good luck tommorrow :c:

Have not been asked :mellow: