Cornwall Football Forum

Plymouth selected to host World Cup 2018

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Plymo...il/article.html

Great news for Argyle and football in the South West generally I think!

PLYMOUTH has won its bid to host World Cup matches if England is chosen as the host nation.

Lord Brian Mawhinney, chairman of the Football League, announced the 12 stadiums which will host World Cup matches if England is chosen for the tournament, with Plymouth named as 12th on the list.

The announcement was made just after 3pm in London.

Sunderland, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle-Gateshead, Bristol, Plymouth, Liverpool and Milton Keynes were announced as candidate host cities for England 2018 World Cup bid. Derby, Leicester and Hull were not selected.

Read the whole article properly Spud :o

Why?. It doesn't interest me. And who the heck are you to call me anything other than my name?. :angry2: . I must have missed the part of my last post where I said something about you :wacko:

have you been in a deeeeeeeeeep sleep coopsie plymouth will start on a 27,000 seater stadium in 2011 and increase in 2 stages to 46,000 by 2014 in yesterday's western morning news.good news for footie fans if england get the bid :drink::thumbsup::smiley20:

No deep sleep young Mr Eddy, but thanks for your sensible response :thumbsup: ..

What I find confusing is how they plan these increases in capacity, improvements on the stadium etc, when they seem pretty damned in the league and are currently under a transfer embargo because they can't pay their debts...

I'm NOT 'extracting the urine' here. I know sweet fa about Argyle (why would I), and am asking for just that reason..

Guest Postie Pidge

It's great for Plymouth and the local area but Argyle struggle to fill their stadium as it is.

There wouldn't be much of an atmosphere with 10,000 in a 46,000 capacity stadium

Just think of it

Possibly being able to watch a couple of the minor teams in the cup playing at the new Home Park.

Perhaps; South Korea v Sudan or Australia v Peru or Iran v USA if any make it.

I would still go if I had the chance.

The atmosphere, the occasion, the rivalry, the fan-fest, almost as good as Pz v St Just or Hereford v Shrewsbury.

Have a look at this page from the bid.

Will Newquay host one of the teams?

http://i.thisis.co.uk/274078/binaries/HomePark3L.jpg

Guest Gary Andrews

it really doesnt matter about the how many fans will fill the ground .......yesterday i have to say was one of the proudest days i have had as a plymouth person , to be recognised as one of the city's to host the greatest show on earth is just amaizing. Well done to everyone involved.

[

What I find confusing is how they plan these increases in capacity, improvements on the stadium etc, when they seem pretty damned in the league and are currently under a transfer embargo because they can't pay their debts...

]

Being a host city in a World Cup dosnt have anything to do with Plymouth Argyle being in the relegation battle, with no transfer money does it?Plus im sure Being a host staduim will have its financial benefits aswell? Also with the added bonus of it being 8 years and 14 days away alot can change in that time.Dont be so negative......

I'm NOT 'extracting the urine' here. I know sweet fa about Argyle (why would I), and am asking for just that reason..

Being a host city in a World Cup dosnt have anything to do with Plymouth Argyle being in the relegation battle, with no transfer money does it?Plus im sure Being a host staduim will have its financial benefits aswell? Also with the added bonus of it being 8 years and 14 days away alot can change in that time.Dont be so negative......

I think a mjor point many you have missed is that the change from capacity of 27,000 to 46,000 is with temporary seating, the roofs of the current 3 new sides can be removed allowing for another tier on each stand and the corners. This would then be taken down again after the world cup returning it to a 27,000 seater stadium which is probably about right for a city like Plymouth. When the stadium was built (well the current newer 3 sides) it was built by the same company that made St Mary's and was always capable of being expanding if the demand required this.

as the city council has been involved with the bid i would have thought (stupid maybe) that these issues have already been discussed :wacko: there is also supposed to be more development around the ground with a smaller stadium for other events like concerts that can be held throughout the year and not just twice a year in the summer :clapper: the new board of argyle did say they had a 5 year plan so maybe this is all part of it. :c:

If plymouth is used for the world cup which i doubt it will be a giant white elephant the stadium will never be full because by the the way argyle are playing it will be playing to about 5000 people against torquay and exeter so all those people can carry on dreaming it will never happen it makes a good story though.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD CAN'T YOU GUYS GET HAPPY ABOUT ANYTHING AT ALL ??

SINCE WHEN WAS GETTING A WORLD CUP VENUE SUCH BAD NEWS ??

WITH A CAPACITY OF 40,000PLUS I'M PRETTY SURE THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF TICKETS AVAILABLE; ALSO NEW HOTELS AND FACILITIES WILL BE NEEDED SO MORE JOBS AND MORE FUN.

NOW STOP MOANING AND GET BEHIND THE PROJECT UNLESS SOMEBODY ON THIS FORUM HAS A BETTER PROPOSAL !!!!

[

]

Never said being a host city has anything to do with Argyle. Please read my post again and correct me if I did... What I said was, how the heck can they afford any improvements or increases in capacity if they can't even afford to pay the debts they have now, and also look like they could be heading for the drop...

There is NO negativity towards Plymouth Argyle, or the decision for the city to be granted 'host status'.. I think it would be great for all of us in the South West of England.. I don't see how it could be construed as negative, just because I asked how PLYMOUTH ARGYLE can make their stadium ideas become a reality when they're CLEARLY in dire straits financially.

unlike you to be so positive coopsie mate :P the board have already made a statement on the embargo ,something to do with long standing discresions. and this will be sorted out by the end of december .

in your first comment you do contradict yourself "never said being a host city was anything to do with argyle" and "how can they afford the improvements" :wacko: :drink:

Guest Rob P aka class of 93

plymouth are not in ' dire ' financial status by any means. It's not perfect but far from as bad as 3/4 of the clubs in that league.

This has a huge effect on Cornwalll and a few clubs who will be selected as training camps. Really good news for cornish football

Brazil setting up training camp at draceana avenue or Argentina at Constantine now that would be good!

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD CAN'T YOU GUYS GET HAPPY ABOUT ANYTHING AT ALL ??

SINCE WHEN WAS GETTING A WORLD CUP VENUE SUCH BAD NEWS ??

WITH A CAPACITY OF 40,000PLUS I'M PRETTY SURE THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF TICKETS AVAILABLE; ALSO NEW HOTELS AND FACILITIES WILL BE NEEDED SO MORE JOBS AND MORE FUN.

NOW STOP MOANING AND GET BEHIND THE PROJECT UNLESS SOMEBODY ON THIS FORUM HAS A BETTER PROPOSAL !!!!

New hotels?its not the olympics!Plymuff will probably host 3 games and who would want to spend a night there?

Guest Gary Andrews

As a plymouth bloke i find some of the comments in this thread a joke. People should look into the facts before spouting off .

New hotels?its not the olympics!Plymuff will probably host 3 games and who would want to spend a night there?

Its a FIFA RULE that any host city must have room to sleep 3000 people a night while the city is hosting games!!!!! and must have a 5* hotel

Never said being a host city has anything to do with Argyle. Please read my post again and correct me if I did... What I said was, how the heck can they afford any improvements or increases in capacity if they can't even afford to pay the debts they have now, and also look like they could be heading for the drop...

There is NO negativity towards Plymouth Argyle, or the decision for the city to be granted 'host status'.. I think it would be great for all of us in the South West of England.. I don't see how it could be construed as negative, just because I asked how PLYMOUTH ARGYLE can make their stadium ideas become a reality when they're CLEARLY in dire straits financially.

Plymouth Argyle are not paying for the improvments , Plymouth, devon and cornwall county councils have joned forces to fund the project !!!!

I FOR ONE CANT REMEMBER A DAY WHERE I WAS SO PROUD TO BE FROM PLYMOUTH AS I WAS ON TUESDAY . GET BEHIND THE TEAM AND PLYMOUTH , AS IM SURE ALL THE ONES MOANING WILL ALL BE VISITING THE CITY IN 2018 SHOUDL ENGLAND GET THE WORLD CUP. BELOW IS SOME PICTURES OF NEW HOME PARK

HomePark2L.jpg

HomePark3L.jpg

HomePark5L.jpg

HomePark6L.jpg

HomePark1L.jpg

in your first comment you do contradict yourself "never said being a host city was anything to do with argyle" and "how can they afford the improvements" :wacko::drink:

There is NOT any contradiction.

The CITY is indeed playing host (if England gets selected), the games will be at Home Park (wont be called that, but you get what I mean). So the question being asked was "How can they afford the improvements", that question, I figured, was obviously about how the CLUB can afford these plans to come into fruition when they are already within a financial stranglehold?..

The City and the Club will both serve different purposes, I guess I thought that with the topics main discussion being about the club, it would be obvious that's exactly what I was talking about. So I don't think either of :wacko: or :drink: applied to anything I asked or said?.

As a plymouth bloke i find some of the comments in this thread a joke. People should look into the facts before spouting off .

Plymouth Argyle are not paying for the improvments , Plymouth, devon and cornwall county councils have joned forces to fund the project !!!!

Thankyou Mr Andrews :clapper: .. ALL I wanted to know was how the heck these improvements and increases in capacity were going to go ahead. I obviously didn't know about this...

I see Newquay, Truro and Saltash have been sounded out as training arenas, wonder what they're thoughts are about the bid.

Please make it happen I presume. Im sure Cornwall County Council will now decide to back it fully as they certainly didn't before.

Probably Tavy as well as those two.

Im sure Cornwall County Council will now decide to back it fully as they certainly didn't before.

Why would they back it though?. If you believe everything you see on here, the World Cup has pretty much nothing to do with Cornwall because it's in England :rolleyes: ....

Seriously though, IF it all comes goog and the bid is accepted, what a bloody great boost it could provide for everyone :c:

I cannot believe the certain sections of negativity towards this sort of news, what is wrong with some people?

The way in which we consider ourselves behind the times down here is typified with the attitudes that come to the front in discussions like this.

IF we get the award as a country, we should be jumping on the band wagon something chronic, the grant possibilities will be endless in the build up to this happening and grass roots will benefit in the process, even if its just be motivating extra kids to part at a near club as a result of the hysteria.

If as a county we embraced a bit of change and a bit of ambition at our own levels, we may find all the improvements we wish for happening as a matter of course.

Too many people willing to knock others for trying as opposed to trying to make a difference themselves.

Confuses me! :wacko:

Guest Rob P aka class of 93

Why would they back it though?. If you believe everything you see on here, the World Cup has pretty much nothing to do with Cornwall because it's in England :rolleyes: ....

:clapper: :clapper:

:clapper::clapper:

;)

I cannot believe the certain sections of negativity towards this sort of news, what is wrong with some people?

The way in which we consider ourselves behind the times down here is typified with the attitudes that come to the front in discussions like this.

IF we get the award as a country, we should be jumping on the band wagon something chronic, the grant possibilities will be endless in the build up to this happening and grass roots will benefit in the process, even if its just be motivating extra kids to part at a near club as a result of the hysteria.

If as a county we embraced a bit of change and a bit of ambition at our own levels, we may find all the improvements we wish for happening as a matter of course.

Too many people willing to knock others for trying as opposed to trying to make a difference themselves.

Confuses me! :wacko:

What a SUPERB post.. I've been saying the exact same thing on another thread in the Non Cornish Soccer section. :clapper: