Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL - Friday night football - Jan 26 2018

As far as I'm aware its been fixtured for a little while at least.

The day after I see is Torpoint Athletic Thirds v Lostwithiel in the Duchy League. Just have to see how the weather goes I guess. I would imagine Torpoint would be keen for the Friday night game to go ahead as scheduled as a bit of crowd puller with local derby aspect and Parkway going great guns!

Actually I assume the Saturday game is no longer happening as Lostwithiel have Junior Cup commitment with yesterday's match for them being postponed. 

11 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

This might help you Ivory Toast - from Torpoint's facebook :- "Friday nights derby Torpoint Athletic v Plymouth Parkway is ON at The Mill, Kick off 7:30pm"

Thanks Dave.... anything on the Bodmin game, my sons just been past Priory Park and he says theres not much happening there and its raining

apologies ...spitting

As I made the trip up to watch Torpoint 0-7 Plymouth Parkway, I might as well give you my thoughts on the match ........

It proved a good evening all round for the champions-elect Plymouth Parkway as while they were ending up 7-0 winners at Torpoint, two of their title rivals, Bodmin Town and Plymouth Argyle, were having to settle for a 2-2 draw against each other.
Of course, understandably the Parkway faithful would vehemently argue it is far too early to declare themselves as champions, but barring an absolute disastrous final third to the season, come on - can anyone really see them being caught?
Parkway have now played 22, winning every single game apart from one, are two goals short of reaching 100 while tonight was their 11th clean sheet and surely that means they are on their way up the non-league pyramid ladder come May time.
The league’s top scorer Glynn Hobbs helped himself to another two goals with the opening one of the night being an easy tap in on 15 minutes, while his second arrived five minutes after half-time from the penalty spot. In between those two, Jordan Trott saw his shot go through a busy penalty area to not only finish up in the far corner of the Torpoint net, but probably also finish any hopes the home side had of springing any sort of surprise for their biggest gate of the season. The 271 was double the crowd normally seen at The Mill this season and so at least Torpoint would have locked up tonight with at least a small smile on their faces.
Mike Smith made it 4-0 when he came in from the right to finish off an individual effort by gently chipping over the advancing keeper Rich Bond. Torpoint’s number one tonight usually plays for the 3rd team in the Duchy League, but because of the normal 1st choice Jason Peters having flu and Reserve goally Rob Brown being unavailable, Bond was making his debut. Even though he conceded seven (perhaps that should be 007), he still managed to pull off some fine saves, however when you’re playing a front line in form and hungry for goals, they make the most of any loose ball as did Parkway substitute Charlie Johansen twice in the last ten minutes after shots on each occasion from Hobbs were parried out.
Probably the best goal of the game was kept until last when Mikey Williams burst through the heart of the Torpoint defence to make it seven.
The title chasing pack need a miracle which as we all know in football, does just occasionally happen, after all tonight I witnessed something very rare when Glynn Hobbs missed what looked a second half sitter from close range. Those sort of things just don’t happen very often though!

15B66928-B8B1-4300-B2E1-25432674EB30.jpeg0C6A4B76-4276-44A0-A124-C118B14DAE52.jpeg

Possibly the fact I didn’t mention them means they did their job - not good enough to heap praise on them, not bad enough to be critical!

The fact they didn’t get a mention goes for a lot of the players tonight. There were probably 28 players used, but only a handful got a mention.

Have to feel for the keeper - not sure the 1st or second choice would have kept the score any more respectable. The big yellow machine steams on. Went to see Willand in the Western League (looking for promotion) and not sure any of their players would get into the Parkway side. Really is a great squad Leezo has put together. 

3 hours ago, CornishRhino said:

I must say that pitch looks immaculate considering the weather we've had lately. Whether that is just the photo displaying that or the pitch was really that good.

Thanks, the pitch was in good condition on Friday night thanks to efforts of our three groundsman especially after the Senior Cup Match a week before home to Carharrack were it cut up badly, but was soon put back together. Without volunteers we don’t have grass roots football!