Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results Thread

Can you post your results, goal scorers and attendances on this thread please

Cornwall Combination League

2.30pm

FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES P-P ILLOGAN RBL

HELSTON ATHLETIC (Neil Southall) 1-2 PENRYN ATHLETIC RESERVES (Adam Pryor, Dave Blizzard)

Att - 30

HOLMAN SC 0-6 RNAS CULDROSE (Stephen Hughes 4, Marvin Brooks, OG)

Att - 20

LUDGVAN 0-15 PERRANWELL (Jake Harvey 4, Scott Kinge 2, Matt Rose 2, TJ Wilson 2, Steve Brewer 2, Peter Brewer, Aaron Butler, OG)

Att - 15

PERRANPORTH (Bryan Hawke 2, Dean Harris, Ian Gosling, Steve Rowsen, Kayne Trevaskis) 6-0 ST JUST

Att- 40

ST AGNES 0-5 NEWQUAY RESERVES (Grant Russell 3, Shaun Lawrence, Josh Harris)

Att - 25

ST DAY 0-2 MULLION (Dan Stidwell 2)

Att - 45

ST IVES TOWN (Curtis Richards, Andy Trathen) 2-2 PORTREATH (Dwayne Britton, Brett Wasden)

Att - 15

WENDRON CC UNITED RESERVES 0-3 PENZANCE RESERVES (Ashley Gray, Wade Brown, Ross Badcock)

Att - 17

Combination League Cup

1st Round 2:30pm

PORTHLEVEN RESERVES (Danny Williams 2, Ashley Stidwell) 3-0 HAYLE RESERVES

NEW LEAGUE TABLE FOR 29th NOVEMBER 2008

http://www.comboleaguearchive.110mb.com/2008%20welcome.htm

Click on the link that says League Table Click Here. Will update the rest of the site over the weekend

Guest geachy1

LUDGVAN 0-15 PERRANWELL

Jake Harvey(4),Scott Kinge(2),Matt Rose(2),TJ Wilson(2), O.G(2),Stevie Brewer,Pete Brewer,Arron ?,

thats abit embarresing for ludgvan.

deano whos that girl in ur photo?

St Agnes 0 - 5 Newquay

Newquay made the short trip to St Agnes and were confident that they could take maximum points following a 3-1 win at Mount Wise.

Newquay couldn't have hoped for a better start as a Shaun Lawrence corner from the right was headed home by Grant Russell from close range in the opening minute. Another ten corners followed within the next few minutes and it wasn't long before Newquay were two up, Tom Taylor passed the ball back to Shaun Lawrence on the right wing and his cross sailed into the top corner despite the best efforts of the goalkeeper and defender on the line.

St Agnes had three good chances within a matter of minutes, St Darren's free-kicks caused some mayhem in the Newquay defence, but on all three occasions the St Agnes striker missed the target. This poor finishing was further punished when great work from Tom Taylor resulted in a perfectly executed diving header from Josh Harris, who left the goalkeeper rooted to the spot with an excellent finish.

Newquay weren't finished either, and Orrin Crowle's hard work paid off when he pressured the St Agnes goalkeeper into clearing the ball back into the midfield. The ball dropped around forty yards from goal and Grant Russell expertly drove a left foot shot goalbound, from the minute the ball left his boot it powered towards the goal and smashed into the roof of the empty net for possibly one of the best goals we've seen for a while. Newquay had further chances but did not convert, with Orrin Crowle and Josh Harris both going close in the first half. St Agnes didn't live up to the expectations that their improving league position suggested and St Darren took a tumble and let out a bit of a squeal, apparently one of his eyebrow hairs got caught up his plaster. Ouch. Frustrations threatened to boil over as Tom Benney took a swipe at one of the Newquay players, the referee bizarrely told him that he had seen the incident but took no action.

The second half continued in a similar fashion for Newquay, effective work on the right hand side from Orrin Crowle put Tom Taylor into the corner, his cross floated to the edge of the area and Grant Russell was on hand to slam home a perfectly executed volley, leaving the goalkeeper motionless as he completed his hat-trick. Newquay held a very solid back-line and James Merrikin had very little to do. There was even time for the experienced Newquay duo of Rabone and Darwent to join the affray, ensuring a calm and quiet finish to the match!

Man of the match - Grant Russell - outstanding contribution and two first-class goals.

The best contribution from St Agnes today was their showers, top notch! The St Agnes side looked very mature in places and didn't seem to include some of their usual players.

Attendance - approx 60

PS - We'd like to dedicate this victory to Lee Hazeldine, who sadly couldn't make it today. Shame really, as we all had a fiver on a red card!

Guest Helston Patriot

Helston 1-2 Penryn

A very depleted Helston team which fielded a father son combination in the starting XI

Don't know the scorers or attendance as i wasn't there:(

Helston 1-2 Penryn

Helston went 1-0 in the first half after the keeper made a safe from a deflected shot and then i think it was neville that had the tap in. helston went in 1-0 up at half time and were the better side, 2nd half penryn came out alot stronger and scored an early equaliser when the initial shot was saved by an on rushing barry hennesy but the ball landing to a penryn player who fired it into the net. the game was quite end to end then with both teams having chances but then neville was fouled with no freekick given and in a bit of frustration ran after the ball and dealt a bit of a hrash challenge warenting him a straight red card. the game then changed with penryn dominating the game and finally getting there goal when a cross was fired along the ground from the left hand side right across the goal to be hammered into the net by the penryn player. the score ended 1-2

What!!!!!! Ludgvan 0, Perranwell 15 ...................

All change at Fairfield as new manager arrives

copied from the Cornishman - Thursday, October 30, 2008

A BIT of true Yorkshire grit and Army fitness training could be about to revolutionise the fortunes of Ludgvan Football Club.

The Hurlers, who have lost all nine of their Jolly's Combination League games so far this season, have announced the appointment of Yorkshireman Matt Spencer as their new manager with former Army PT instructor Martin Kempen as his assistant and team coach.

"Forget those nine league games and the two cup games we have lost in the last two weeks – our season starts this Saturday with our league game at home to Illogan".

"I was proud of the way the boys played against Penzance on Saturday and I'm confident we can turn the club around. It's not going to happen overnight, but I'm aiming for a mid-table position by the end of the season.

"I know it's a big challenge, but I like that and we'll be starting from fresh this Saturday."

It's Spencer's first venture into club management, but he has a solid footballing pedigree behind him. He had youth trials at Huddersfield Town before his career was interrupted by a serious illness, which forced him to stop playing for a while.

The 29-year-old moved to Penzance eight years ago and, having recovered full health, he has recently been playing for Heamoor in the Mining League as their goalkeeper, a position he has played since the age of eight.

In his first two games in charge at Fairfield – a Cornwall Senior Cup defeat at Probus and the Combination League Cup loss at home to Penzance Reserves – Spencer relied on several former second team players, as well as Damian Wager and Truan Osborne from Heamoor and Damian's brother Wayne, who has been playing for Madron.

"Last Saturday's game was only the second time the lads have played together," he said. "They are still getting to know each other, but they are hungry for success, so I'm in the process of signing six new players to strengthen the squad.

"We've also go a new physio coming next week and Martin, my assistant, will be using his experience in the Army to get the lads fit."

Fairfield fans could at last have reason to be optimistic about their club's future. Time will tell.

I certainly dont think its all doom and gloom at ludgvan...the fact that they continue to put a side out week in week out despite whatever is going on is a brilliant job and they are a credit to the league for that reason, when others would probably have already thrown in the towel. For example they had 7 players missing from the side today but still managed to field a side.

Ludgvan is a good club and its sad to see what is happening, but im sure they will be able to come through this.

Guest blue203

Credit to you No Idea have been involved at Mullion for a few years and if you hang on in there the chances are things will change for the better as it might turn for those clubs at the top

Good luck for the rest of the season, stick in there mate

Credit to you No Idea have been involved at Mullion for a few years and if you hang on in there the chances are things will change for the better as it might turn for those clubs at the top

Good luck for the rest of the season, stick in there mate

Although it may have seen that way i dont actually have anything to do with ludgvan...just saying what i have seen/heard

Guest blue203

Top cat I might be wrong here and please except my apologies,,, but was'nt you the one that said about the teams that always struggle at the bottom of the compo should be replaced by the Junior league teams.. I look at Parranporth and Mullion and think well...........

To improve the combination league NOW is the time to drop the criteria level to be a senior club, and allow the top teams in mining and fal/hel league to come up.

Were Potreath not deemed a "top team", before they joined the combination league? They're not exactly setting it alight. Are there any sides in the Junior realms now who you deem to be better than Portreath?

Perranwell or Perranporth for that matter would not put 15 goals past a half decent junior team!!!!!!!!!

I beg to differ and i think both of these sides are more than capable of dismantaling any "half decent" junior side. I wouldn't be suprised if a 10+ goal margin was achieved against top mining or falmouth helston outfits. These teams are miles ahead of the rest of the combo nevermind the junior leagues.

I just think the quality of the combination has dropped so dramatically over the past couple of seasons and it's such a shame.

as promised to the managment and staff mullion, here is my take on todays game.

both sides were looking to add to their recent good performances after picking up pionts from teams above them in the league last week.

st day got off to a good early start creating a couple of half chances and forcing mullion on the back foot for 10-15 mins. then mullion started to find their feet, and through the ever reliable nicky medlin started to click and create chances, the first a looping header from a deep cross that the st day keeper did well to leap and push round the post for a corner. dan stidwell had a couple of efforts from long range that went close. a goalmouth scramble resulted in a shot from mullion's new signing ( not sure of his name but was told by meds that he is a new signing) wich the st day keeper did well to hold. st day then started to get back some of the play and again created some good chances but were lacking the finishing touch. the half came to an end with a low shot from mullion on the egde of the box which was deflected and goalbound only for the in form st day keeper to tip round the post. H-T 0-0

the second half was pretty much a role reversal of the first with mullion starting the brighter of the two. mullion controlled the midfield and stiffled any passages of play that st day had. the game must have been a good game to watch from a neutral piont of view with some good banter coming both ways from myself, and the mullion bench (told you i would put it in my report). the game was very even for most of the second half until the prolific dan stidwell was given his first real bit of space in the game which he duly took advantage of and sent his 20 yard shot (scuff) flying into the top corner of the net. this should have spurred st day into a change of formation to try and salvage a piont but it never came. ten minutes after the first goal and after some more banter from the mullion bench and me, mullion scored their second when a low cross was stabbed in at the far post by dan stidwell for his second of the game. st day then had their best chance of the game when lee duffield was one-on-one with kitch, the mullion keeper. duffers tried to lift the ball over the addvancing keeper but kitch stuck up a hand and blocked his effort. the game was all over as a contest and the when the final whistle came both sides congratulated each other on the general play which was very entertaining.

ref watch. Brian rose i beleive, had a decent game which was i'm sure he will agree a relatlvley easy game to ref, did feel he gave more to mullion than us but then again i am ever so slightly biased. 8/10

crowd. on the sidelines about 20 and in the stands (balcony) 25. totaling 45 good turn out.

mullion are a much improved side and are deffinatley going to continue to improve under the guidance of Mr Carey. well done to mullion and good luck for the rest of the season, see you at your place soon.

I don't understand how mitch can write such an accurate report, thought he's meant to be playing?? must be jotting notes down majority of the time rather than concentrating on his own game!!!!

Ha ha super saints :D It's not very often we score five goals so they are all quite clear in my mind at the moment! Usually the odd one or two aren't too difficult to remember. In addition, I spent 75 minutes observing today, so I had plenty of time to absorb what was going on!

Perranporth were a class act today in beating the Tinners 6-0: this was not a bad away performance, apart from the last ten minutes when the shape got a bit stretched...Perran are clearly on their way up to the Peninsula League. Ground and surface much improved, even if work is still needed on changing rooms. Congratulations to their chairman for his excellent input and good luck for the rest of the season. :D

as promised to the managment and staff mullion, here is my take on todays game.

both sides were looking to add to their recent good performances after picking up pionts from teams above them in the league last week.

st day got off to a good early start creating a couple of half chances and forcing mullion on the back foot for 10-15 mins. then mullion started to find their feet, and through the ever reliable nicky medlin started to click and create chances, the first a looping header from a deep cross that the st day keeper did well to leap and push round the post for a corner. dan stidwell had a couple of efforts from long range that went close. a goalmouth scramble resulted in a shot from mullion's new signing ( not sure of his name but was told by meds that he is a new signing) wich the st day keeper did well to hold. st day then started to get back some of the play and again created some good chances but were lacking the finishing touch. the half came to an end with a low shot from mullion on the egde of the box which was deflected and goalbound only for the in form st day keeper to tip round the post. H-T 0-0

the second half was pretty much a role reversal of the first with mullion starting the brighter of the two. mullion controlled the midfield and stiffled any passages of play that st day had. the game must have been a good game to watch from a neutral piont of view with some good banter coming both ways from myself, and the mullion bench (told you i would put it in my report). the game was very even for most of the second half until the prolific dan stidwell was given his first real bit of space in the game which he duly took advantage of and sent his 20 yard shot (scuff) flying into the top corner of the net. this should have spurred st day into a change of formation to try and salvage a piont but it never came. ten minutes after the first goal and after some more banter from the mullion bench and me, mullion scored their second when a low cross was stabbed in at the far post by dan stidwell for his second of the game. st day then had their best chance of the game when lee duffield was one-on-one with kitch, the mullion keeper. duffers tried to lift the ball over the addvancing keeper but kitch stuck up a hand and blocked his effort. the game was all over as a contest and the when the final whistle came both sides congratulated each other on the general play which was very entertaining.

ref watch. Brian rose i beleive, had a decent game which was i'm sure he will agree a relatlvley easy game to ref, did feel he gave more to mullion than us but then again i am ever so slightly biased. 8/10

crowd. on the sidelines about 20 and in the stands (balcony) 25. totaling 45 good turn out.

mullion are a much improved side and are deffinatley going to continue to improve under the guidance of Mr Carey. well done to mullion and good luck for the rest of the season, see you at your place soon.

fair write up,means i dnt have to post one now!!! enjoyed the banter,lets hope your a bit more quick witted next time though,youngsters were on form :clapper: :clapper:

I am not starting a in club fight or war of words but i really can't see Perranwell 1st team putting 15 past the Perranwell 2nd team nor any of the top 4/5 in Fal/Helston Divi 1!

Having watched the home game v Ludgvan earlier in the season half of the team was made up of the Hayle Team which failed badly in Fal/Helston 2 the season before. This is not a dig at Ludgvan as the are putting a team out each week and by all accounts puttin in a good fight. but there are some good teams in Fal/Helson Divi 1 that would give most Combo teams a run for there money maybe not Perranporth as there is some proper quailty in that team far better than the standard they are playing!!

I.E Andy Butcher- the best Goalie in Cornwall, well thats what i think!

I don't understand how mitch can write such an accurate report, thought he's meant to be playing?? must be jotting notes down majority of the time rather than concentrating on his own game!!!!

Ha ha super saints :D It's not very often we score five goals so they are all quite clear in my mind at the moment! Usually the odd one or two aren't too difficult to remember. In addition, I spent 75 minutes observing today, so I had plenty of time to absorb what was going on!

seen the light and dropped you, or were you injured

seen the light and dropped you, or were you injured

I've been very lucky to have played the last half a dozen games after a long spell out following an op and I am more than happy to sit on the bench if Andy asks me to, especially when we have two promising young strikers coming through. I think that decision was justified after the result yesterday.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting about Andy 'seeing the light', however, you are welcome to elaborate...

PS. As for the attendance, 25 was the number I observed around the pitch - someone from Aggie may be able to help with an estimation of the number sat in their warm car watching the game!

I am not starting a in club fight or war of words but i really can't see Perranwell 1st team putting 15 past the Perranwell 2nd team nor any of the top 4/5 in Fal/Helston Divi 1!

Yeah i didn't think of that actually. Clearly we wouldn't put 15 past the 2nds.

I may have to re-evaluate my initial statement.

Andy Butcher- the best Goalie in Cornwall, well thats what i think!

And agreed. He is awesome.

little bit o dinho, i was,nt been disrespectful to Perranwell on putting 15 past Ludgvan. But that should not happen in the Combo league. Ludgvan are currently depriving a decent Junior team a place in Senior football, because they are not up to it. For you to say that Perranwell or Perranporth would put 15 past a top Mining or Fal/hel side is nothing short of ridiculous, ask Mawnan, Chacewater,Troon or Illogan if they feel they would be beaten by that many.Both PERRAN,s are very good sides, with good managers and players hope it stays neck and neck till the end of season!!!!!!!!!

Yeah i didn't think of that actually. Clearly we wouldn't put 15 past the 2nds.

I may have to re-evaluate my initial statement.

Adam, you know i am Perranwell though and though but i watched the home which we put 9 past them. I think you must of had a few Shandys after the game because the top teams in Fal/Helston league are alot better than the bottom couple of teams in the Combo and if there was in a way a better structure in teams getting into the Combo, there would not be a score line like yesterday

little bit o dinho, i was,nt been disrespectful to Perranwell on putting 15 past Ludgvan. But that should not happen in the Combo league. Ludgvan are currently depriving a decent Junior team a place in Senior football, because they are not up to it. For you to say that Perranwell or Perranporth would put 15 past a top Mining or Fal/hel side is nothing short of ridiculous, ask Mawnan, Chacewater,Troon or Illogan if they feel they would be beaten by that many.Both PERRAN,s are very good sides, with good managers and players hope it stays neck and neck till the end of season!!!!!!!!!

I think people should hold there judgements about ludgvan, considering they are still rebuilding their squad and had 6 players out this week (including 2 senior players who had to be replaced by juniors). If you ask anyone from perranwell they i think wil admit that ludgvan kept going and played a clean game