Cornwall Football Forum

St Austell 3 Newquay 1

St Austell deservedly won this Restormel battle and remain unbeaten in the League this season. They got off to the best possible start when Daniel Nancarrow scored a superb volley reminiscent of Marco Van Basten in the Euro 1988 final. Mike Body had a goal disallowed for offside but it was a sublime finish. Scott Palmer then missed a great chance to level when he shot wide when he went one on one with Gary Penhaligon. Newquay equalised on the half hour when a low Jake Hartigan corner appeared to be turned in by a home defender. St Austell went straight up the other end and a Jay Isbell inswinging cross was not dealt with by the Newquay defence and was pulled back for Body for a simple finish. Newquay had the wind in their favour in the second half and were unlucky not to level for a second time when a Scott Palmer snap shot hit the inside of the post and came out. Penhaligon then made a great save to deny Luke Weldhen. St Austell quickly broke down the right and a nice cross made it easy for Nanacarrow to score his second. Newquay had the ball in the St Austell net with 5 minutes remaining bu the ref adjudged that Penhaligon was failed from Hartigan's inswinging corner. St Austell certainly played to their strengths and are on a good run at present. Best wishes to them for the rest of the season.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Flippin 'eck Jim, you are far too polite !

You know as well as the many Newquay fans who witnessed the complete and utter nonsense that took place at Poltair, that someone wearing a Man Utd shirt walking through Lime Street Station alone, at 3 in the morning, wouldn't have been as robbed as many times as we were.

Re-arrange this well known phrase..... WAS WE ROBBED ?

As one of the Newquay supporters I'm sure the Judge is referring to this farce with the linos. I know the topic has been discussed many times before but that doesn't make it go away. The St Austell lino was a joke. He would flag for offside if a Nqy player was in an offside position (as in the old days) as soon as the ball was kicked and kept it raised even if the ball went nowhere near the player (therefore not active). Having praised oppo linos in the past (Wendron) I feel this one deserves a good slagging. I hope the ref recommends he re-sits the lino course.

Nanks, taking nothing away from you or your team mates, your Lino and the ref were an absolute disgrace. Sammy Mac scored a perfectly good goal when Penhaligon was impeded by a defender, disallowed by the ref. Jake was bundled over in the box, a clear penalty not given ! Your lino, raised his flag as if he was swatting flies all afternoon - anytime a Newquay player ventured over the halfway line, up went the flag.

No dispute that St Austell were the better side first half. However Newquay dominated the second and a draw would have been a fair result, although I doubt that was possible even before kick off.

If the ref or your lino wish to make any represenation to me or any of the Newquay fans who dished out the justified abuse, they know where to find us - we look forward to the match at Mount Wise.

It's worse than a farce. To be honest I'd rather have the games played with just a ref (one who is very fast, obviously!). To suffer this crap week after week makes one want to say stuff it and stay home. I know there are not enough linos to go around but where are all the former players who could do the job? Needs sorting and fast.

I was at the game on Saturday and I find that this person, the Judge must have been watching a different game !!! With response to the game I thought St Austell were the better team for 90% of the game and deserved to win. Yes the linesman did raise his flag a few times but they were all close calls so I cannot comment on them because if I was not in line with the last defender as I assume MR Judge was ???? Also with the dis allowed Newquay goal even I could see it was a clear foul on the St Austell goalkeeper who was bundled into the back of the net by a Newquay forward .With regards to the Ref I thought he done a good job and let the game flow and had the game well in control. ROBBED i DONT THINK SO. :SM_carton:

I'm not usualy one to agree with Newquay's cause, but i have to say that i know exactly where they are coming from on this one (St Austell lino.)

We (Godolphin) have been frustrated by him for several season when we played Sticker in the ECPL. We thought we had seen the last of him when we won promotion this season but to our horror he showed up on the St Austell line earlier this season when we played them at home (lost 0-2).

True to form the flag went up on several occasions when our players were clearly on-side.

This is one of the most frustrating aspects of the game because it makes it very difficult to get in-behind a team when they are defending high up the pitch.

Looks like we should all practice shooting from inside our own half when we play Sticker !!

Such a shame because St Austell have a very good squad of players, they shoudn't need the help of their lino to win matches.

A quick point about the Wendron lino. We had 2 penalties saved on Saturday, albeit i think they were the worst penalties ever, the keeper saved both at about 2 yards off his line. With him standing only 18 yards away he should have picked this up at least once. I also know that there is a shortage but in this situation do we really think that people are going to deny their own keeper a save of penalty.

Not too much of a downer on him though. He did have good game apart from this.

Derek, I think you should get your facts straight before making accusations. John has never run the line for Sticker and started running the line for St Austell last season.

He is an ex-player, manager and referee and i think anyone who knows him would say he does an honest job on the line and is the first one to admit if he makes mistakes. Funny how he ran the line for us all last season but did not get criticised once. Could this be due to the fact that we were losing heavily each week.

I think it is unfair to come on this forum and basically accuse club linesmen of cheating. From where I was standing on Saturday Bods had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside. Nobody from St Austell has accused the Newquay Lino of being a cheat though.

I think in general we are all going to have to put up with it all. Its the old situation of everyone thinks the opposite clubs lino is a cheat. All I can say that for the standard this is supposed to be why have we club linos.

One problem is also they have no power at all. I have witnessed to many times this season players punching and elbowing others out of sight of the ref. They get away with it because the lino has no power. Also giving penalties the same

Let's put this subject into perspective guys. Only the Cornwall FA and the CSWPL chiefs can answer WHY Clubs at this level are forced to find and use their very own Linesman/Assistant Referees. And I think we all pretty much know the obvious reasons.

On this note, I think it makes a mockery of the description "Assistant Referee" being the current official discription for a linesman because as previously stated on this thread, "Assistant Referees" that are now supplied by their Club's are NOT permitted by the referee to make decisions other than offside's! Incredible that they are given this title and not permitted to actually assist! Maybe someone can please explain that one to me?!

My final point on this is that aslong as the two governing bodies above enforce this current situation I think it's a little dangerous to make statements such "he is a cheat" etc. I personally like to believe that nobody sets out "to cheat" but as humans, we are all prone to bad days at the office! Maybe some of these club assistant referees would benefit from a freebie refresher course provided by the FA to help them improve?

Lets face it, if the individual's who volunteer on behalf of their respective Clubs decide they no longer want to be labelled with these kind of comments and statements plus the two bodies cant supply Assistant Referees for fixtures at this level, then maybe the people who openly comment on the likes of this forum and openly display their feelings towards these officials during matches, may like to take their very own Referee's course and give up their Saturday afternoons and weekday evenings across Devon and Cornwall!!

Guest Man on the Post

Why do so few players take up the whistle when they stop playing? It wouldn't take that many, from those retiring each season, to solve the current shortage. Perhaps they don't fancy taking the abuse they themselves dished out to referees over the years! :unsure:

Neil stated - From where I was standing on Saturday Bods had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside. Nobody from St Austell has accused the Newquay Lino of being a cheat though.

The reason, no one from St Austell called the Newquay Lino a cheat, is because he isn't one ! In fact, he took stick from the Newquay fans for allowing the 3rd and clearly offside goal. Andrew Whitfield is as honest a man as I have ever met. Every now and again, he sees some awful decisions given against Newquay but not once has thought to 'make incorrect decisions' in retaliation - something one Lino did last season and even told his mates behind him he was going to do it.

The match reports in both the St Austell and Newquay Voice papers differ hugely, only the Cornish Gaurdian (Lee Hall) can be taken as an independent report, I suggest everyone read it.

As others have stated, the supposed Step 7 being the same as the old SWL is nonsense.

Let's put this subject into perspective guys. Only the Cornwall FA and the CSWPL chiefs can answer WHY Clubs at this level are forced to find and use their very own Linesman/Assistant Referees. And I think we all pretty much know the obvious reasons.

On this note, I think it makes a mockery of the description "Assistant Referee" being the current official discription for a linesman because as previously stated on this thread, "Assistant Referees" that are now supplied by their Club's are NOT permitted by the referee to make decisions other than offside's! Incredible it's a little dangerous to make statements such "he is a cheat" etc. I personally like to believe that nobody sets out "to cheat" but as humans, we are all prone to bad days at the office! Maybe some of these club assistant referees would benefit from a freebie refresher course provided by the FA to help them improve?

Lets face it, if the individual's who volunteer on behalf of their respective Clubs decide they no longer want to be labelled with these kind of comments and statements plus the two bodies cant supply Assistant Referees for fixtures at this level, then maybe the people who openly comment on the likes of this forum and openly display their feelings towards these officials during matches, may like to take their very own Referee's course and give up their Saturday afternoons and weekday evenings across Devon and Cornwall!!

lafs he can give when a ball is out of play. :thumbsup:

Loads of good posts in this thread and its the most frustrating thing on a saturday when you get decision after decision go against you. But.........

I would say the majority of linesman who represent their club will always slightly favour their own team, its nature. However everywhere you go people in the club house will say their linesman is too honest if anything and wish he'd favour his own side a bit more. A bit like in the threads above. However its because of most of us..... players, supporters, managers and the press that barrack referees so much that they cant be arsed to go on a saturday. Therefore we now have this situation where we havnt got enough. It was always going to happen and now it is and it wll get worse. If club lino's went on a regular refresher course twice a season it would a) make them a bit more competent and B) hopefully remind them for the need to be as impartial as possible. Any Lino has got to be better than not playing.

I'm not usualy one to agree with Newquay's cause, but i have to say that i know exactly where they are coming from on this one (St Austell lino.)

We (Godolphin) have been frustrated by him for several season when we played Sticker in the ECPL. We thought we had seen the last of him when we won promotion this season but to our horror he showed up on the St Austell line earlier this season when we played them at home (lost 0-2).

True to form the flag went up on several occasions when our players were clearly on-side.

This is one of the most frustrating aspects of the game because it makes it very difficult to get in-behind a team when they are defending high up the pitch.

Looks like we should all practice shooting from inside our own half when we play Sticker !!

Such a shame because St Austell have a very good squad of players, they shoudn't need the help of their lino to win matches.

Perhaps Derek you should get your facts straight before wading into an argument without knowing the full facts!!! Its a frace Godolphin (as good as the players they have) are even allowed in the laegue!!! Dog shite all over the pitch, cold showers and generally disgaceful facilities for a club of that standard. Instead of wasting your time moaning about a Sticker lino that wasnt even running the line for town get your owm house in order!!! :SM_carton:

Maybe each team should have some designated assistant referees and they need to make one avaliable each week to go and do a local game at another SWPL Div 1 game. Expenses paid of course.

I'm sure a few weeks ago people were complaining at having assistants for some games because of cost! You can't have it both ways guys. And anyway there aren't enough referees. If we had neutral assistants in all SWPL games even more junior games will be cancelled every week!!

john and dave bunt have always been good honest footballing people,maybe older and slower now(only joking boys) :P but would not cheat.both clubs had good wins on saturday and good perfomances from players but it seems that people highlight the linos as the reason they lost but not the forwards (nearly said strikers)that constantly get flagged offside time after time,i see them every week running around like chickens with no heads.

come on lino,s why not come on here and slag off the players that constantly run offside and the managers that do nothing about them and make your jobs so demanding :thumbsup:

get your own back,they won,t coz they,re more respectfull.......respect now theres a new directive??

john and dave bunt have always been good honest footballing people,maybe older and slower now(only joking boys) :P but would not cheat.both clubs had good wins on saturday and good perfomances from players but it seems that people highlight the linos as the reason they lost but not the forwards (nearly said strikers)that constantly get flagged offside time after time,i see them every week running around like chickens with no heads.

come on lino,s why not come on here and slag off the players that constantly run offside and the managers that do nothing about them and make your jobs so demanding :thumbsup:

get your own back,they won,t coz they,re more respectfull.......respect now theres a new directive??

THAT BIG CHELSEA GIT IS OFFSIDE 20 TIMES A GAME :blink:

The match reports in both the St Austell and Newquay Voice papers differ hugely, only the Cornish Gaurdian (Lee Hall) can be taken as an independent report, I suggest everyone read it.

For those who havent Done as the Judge has asked here you go

St Austell 3 Newquay 1

St Austell have yet to taste defeat in division one west this season and they maintained their unbeaten start with a comprehensive win over Newquay at poltair park on saturday.

A Dan Nancarrow double and a Mike Body strike ensured a deserved victorty for Glynn Rowett's side who remain four points behind leaders Penzance.

On the evidence of their first half display at the weekend there is no reason to suggest St Austell can't push their other title rivals all the way this season.

Rowett's only concern is that he does not have the strength in numbers that Penzance have,but if he can keep his current crop of players fit then there is every possibility St Austell will be in the promotion picture come May.

And in Nankarrow and Body the Lillywhites have one of the most potent strike forces in the league.

The pair were a constant thorn in the Newquay defence on Saturday and they were unlucky not to add to their tally. Body especially will feel agrieved that he, like Nancarrow ,didn't come away with two goals to his name,Because after Nancarrow had given St Austell the lead after just four minutes with a superb volley into the top corner, Body was denied a goal on the half hour mark.

Running on to a long ball forward Body, raced past Andy Morris before firing an unstoppable effort in of the underside of the bar. But as both sets of players retreated to their positions following the 'goal'the linesman raised his flag for offside. And to add insult to injury for St Austell, Newquay were back in the contest minutes later when Martin Giles inadvertently directed Jake Hartigan's corner into his own net.

A mix up in the Newquay defence allowed Body in on goal after the restart. But the strikers luck finally turned when he pounced inside the six-yard box after 38 minutes, finishing off a lovely move . It started with Jay Isbell's wonderful 30- yard pass to the back post, where Josh Higman was on hand to play the ball into the path of Body, who was left with an easy finish past Ian Chatfield.

Isbell and Nancarrow both failed to find the target with good chances early in the second half. At the other end the upright came to St Austell's rescue when Scott Palmers shot had Gary Penhaligon rooted.

Ollie Brokenshire then curled just wide in the 58th minute before Nankarrow drove straight at Chatfield.

Frustratingly for Newquay, despite enjoying more possession in the second half, their efforts brought little fruition as any meaningful progress made in the final third was brought to a halt the the assistant referee's flag, much to the annoyance of the travelling support.

Their frustration was compounded when Nancarrow claimed his second goal of the afternoon , side-footing home Body's cross in the 84th minute.

To cap a wretched afternoon for the visitors captain Sam McKune saw his injury time goal ruled out for an infringement.

Seems to me Newquay were out played after reading this INDEPENDENT report taken from the Cornish Guardian as Judge requested.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest The Old Man

Anyone involved in Cornish football, and have encountered Mr John Elliot will know that the man is a fabulous guy. I have had the pleasure of his company and know from my own experiences that John is a man of integrity. He gives his services to his local club free of charge. He does is for the love of the game, and speaking from experience, again, John would not intentionally give a decision "for the benefit" of St Austell unless he felt it was the correct one. Just as the Newquay "lino" would only give decisions as he saw them. Lay off the volunteers Judge.....unless like Lee said...you wanna grab the flag???? mmmmmmm I doubt that very much!!!!!!

Keep up the good work John...c'mon you Lilywhites :thumbsup:

The important line in the Guardian report reads as follows - Frustratingly for Newquay, despite enjoying more possession in the second half, their efforts brought little fruition as any meaningful progress made in the final third was brought to a halt the the assistant referee's flag, much to the annoyance of the travelling support.

No one is doubting that St Austell played well. However, they were aided and abetted by Mr Elliot and Mr Nute, who both made several decisions that were at best 'honest mistakes' !!! It was not difficult to see why St Austell are unbeaten in the SWPL, they had an extra defender who made some mistakes that favoured his side and he coached fromthe touchline.

Enough of this now, it matters not what I or anyone else says,the SWPL don't care a jot for the Div 1 East or West as you will see in another post.

I too was at the St Austell v Newquay game last Saturday, as a neutral (maybe just slightly favouring Newquay if anything), but came to the conclusion on the day that it was a perfectly fair result. The better team won, and of all the linesmen's decisions that i was in line with, both linesmen were right every single time. It's not their fault if players run offside, and the Newquay no. 10 (Scott Palmer i think) was his own worst enemy. He seemed to be rarely onside throughout the second half. The offside decision for what would have been St A's second goal was correct as well, the attacker was a yard in front of Bicknell when the ball was played.

Also, if Palmer had said to a proper assistant what he said to the St Austell linesman, he would have received a straight red card not a yellow (hint - it had a 'f' word and the word 'cheat' in there).

What I did have a problem with the St Austell linesman though was his desire to be centre of attention all the time, trying to coach the home team while watching the action, and getting involved several times in arguments with Newquay players. His decisions were good, but he didn't do himself any favours.

I'm sure I will watch both these teams with interest again this season.

--

Richard

Guest The Old Man

So Judge, have you read the previous post? From a Newquay stalwart, and he states that John Elliot was correct with virtually all his decisions. What do you think of your strikers language to John? The foul and abusive language that should have been rewarded by Mr Nute with a red card????...was Mr Nute correct in ignoring his abuse???....mmmmm

Please quit with your bad-sportsmanship, admit it....the better team, on the day, won, fair and square :)

Thats right Judge we are only unbeaten thanks to John, nothing to do with the football we play and the players that we have.

If John was a cheat and helped St Austell win matches then why didnt St Austell have more than 8 points and finish higher up the table last season?

I noticed the st austell lino was coaching or trying to coach when we played St Austell, wether they were taking any notice is another thing. Everuone will make mistakes even the professionals but coaching or even encouraging is a bit of a no no in my book. Quite funny though!

Regarding club linesmen taking refresher courses .........

Having finished refereeing after 30 years .

I have offerred my services to a club and went to a course at Wendron ORGANISED BY THE C.S.W.P.L in July and sat the Assistants exam .......passing with flying colours ..........along with others from Falmouth and Mousehole and we are now officially qualified to run lines for this League for 5 years .

Only down side to this is we are still waiting for the League to provide cards to prove we have qualified!!!

Sadly when I have attended matches where the opposing official IS NOT QUALIFIED I am given instructions by the referee to ONLY give throw ins and offside decisions , as he has to treat us BOTH as unqualified help on the day ....which makes a complete mockery !!!

Surely it is to the benefit of ALL clubs in this League to get someone to attend a course and to get the official recognition of their competence of the Laws of the game .

From my own experience in the middle we cannot see everything at all times so help from people who know what they are doing is important .........any referee that turns help down is asking for trouble !!!

Please get your club on to a course before the people that are qualified start thinking why have I bothered when the man in the middle cannot use my knowledge ??

Guest Scooter

Iv not wrote on this website in a very long time as i have not seen it to be necessary....... however thats just changed!!!!!!!! In response to richard rundle........ you obviously need to get you hearing checked as your most certainly hearing things!!!!! i didnt say anything like what your implying i did to the lino however i may have been thinking it so maybe you can read minds??????????? :)

I AGREE WITH EVERYON,AND I TOO WASNT AT THE ABOVE MENTIONED GAME LIKE DEREK BUT ALSO THINK THE PERSON IN QUESTION IS RUBBISH WHOEVER HE OR SHE IS,NOT SURE COS I WASNT THERE. :wacko:

BigHairyDave thats a good idea in my opinion. If the club linesman have already put themselves forward to run the line then why can they not be sent to other games. Although I know alot of clubs struggle with expenses anyway and adding another person to the list wont help this, but it would actually help the assistant in my opinion if he stays in his local area helping than one week home, the next week in Mousehole, or Plymstock for the other extreme.

Also I would like to state that I am NOT accusing anybody of cheating in anyway, shape or form, I was merely posting a comment on my opinion. I used to give refs a bit of abuse but when I now watch from my goal, it makes you realise how stupid everybody looks when they shout when it was obvious that it was a corner for example, or when someone has fouled someone but looks in astonishment when a penalty is given. They make themselves look stupid, not the official.