Cornwall Football Forum

Helston FC herald exciting new era

Thisiscornwall.co.uk © - Link

THE appointment of Stuart Massey as first team manager of Helston Football Club could herald a new era of success at the club.

Massey, who was confirmed as the Blues' new boss at an emergency committee meeting on Monday evening, fills the vacancy created by the departure of Symon Winnan, who has left the club after a year at the helm to take over as joint manager of Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Division One West outfit Newquay.

The 46-year-old former professional footballer is delighted to have the backing of the club's new investors, Origin Coffee and Etherington Meats and has been impressed by the proposed restructuring at Kellaway Parc.

Tom Sobey, of Origin Coffee, who played with Massey in the Cury team that reached the Cornwall Junior Cup final a few years ago, and Mark Etherington, of Etherington Meats, who is the cousin of West Ham's Premiership midfielder Matthew Etherington, will be supporting the club in their bid for promotion to the Peninsula League.

“I would not have taken the job if it hadn't been for the investment that these two successful businessmen are putting into the club,” Massey told me this week. “It is very reassuring from my point of the view that the club's ambition matches mine.

“We will certainly be going out with all guns blazing to win the Jolly's Combination League this season after finishing in third place last time.

“We will go about our business in a quiet but resolute way and will be a force to be reckoned with as we are ambitious to achieve promotion this time round.”

He added: “What's really important is that first and foremost we work as a club, starting with the committee building strong foundations to allow the footballing side to succeed.

“I intend to work very closely with the second and third team managers at the club which will allow promising young players a chance to progress through the teams.”

Massey, who will have Mark Etherington as his assistant, has already been busy contacting members of last season's squad to ask for their continued commitment to the Helston cause and will also be looking to further boost the strength of the squad.

Football is very definitely in the Massey family's blood, with elder brother Steve already well known in the county as a former manager of Falmouth Town and Truro City and middle brother Trevor having just retired as a Premiership linesman.

His last game was as assistant referee at this year's FA Cup Final between Portsmouth and Cardiff City.

In his playing days Helston's new manager signed schoolboys terms with Stockport County before transferring to Bournemouth where he played regularly for the reserves.

He then had trials for Oldham Athletic and Bury before playing semi-professionally in midfield for Glossop North End in Division One of the North West Counties League.

After qualifying as an FA coach at Kent and Canterbury University, he came to Cornwall 13 years ago where, as well as Cury, he managed Mullion's Combination League side.

He then went on to take positions as head coach at both Falmouth Town and Truro City. He now runs his own soccer business arranging tournaments for both boys and girls in Devon and Cornwall.

Helston chairman Barry Dunstan is excited at the prospect of having a manager with such an outstanding footballing pedigree in charge of the club's fortunes.

“These are exciting times for any footballer involved at Helston Football Club,” he said.

“Stuart Massey is a manager that I have admired for a long time and I am delighted to have him at the helm for the coming season.

“He has already handed me a pre-season training schedule that is like nothing seen before at this football club in terms of professionalism and dedication.”

Meanwhile, former boss Symon Winnan wished nothing but the best for his old club.

He said: “I had no intention of leaving Helston, but I was approached by Newquay and sometimes an opportunity comes along in your life that you have to take.

“I'd like to think I left Helston in a better position than when I took over there last July and I wish them all the best – I'm sure they will succeed in what they are trying to do at Kellaway Parc.”

Guest WINNO

MARTYN RICHARDS HAS RESIGNED AS WELL. ALSO I CAN TELL ALL YOU GOOSIPERS OUT THERE THAT MARK YES THATS HIS 1ST NAME NOT ETHERINGTON IS NOT PUTTING IN ANY PERSONAL MONEY AT ALL HIMSELF. HE IS WORKING HARD TO GET SPONSORSHIP FOR THE CLUB. WHICH THEY WILL USE FOR WHATEVER THEY SEEM FIT AND GOOD LUCK TO THEM THATS WHAT I SAY!!!!!!!!!!