Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City signings

Guest mr truro

May i just add what a great job Sean Mc Carthy and all the back room staff at Truro City have done to bring two very experinced players to the club, best signings for 12 months must be the new managers contacts :clapper: also may i just add when are we going to stop all this running down of Mr Heaney and Truro City we should be thanking them for what they have done for Cornish Football the man should be knighted or even better the next Mayor of Truro who knows :c:

Truro City's Vice Chairman Chris Webb is thrilled to announce that the Club have today made their first major signings of the close season to show its intent for the forthcoming season.

Former Torquay United utility player Matthew Hockley & Former Exeter City utility player Barry McConnell further information will follow when available but with the ink still not dry the club felt you the fans should be the first to know.

Barry McConnell (born January 1, 1977, Exeter, England, UK)

He is primarily a right sided defender or midfielder.

McConnell came through Exeter City's youth system in 1995, and was a first-team player for almost 10 years, featuring in a variety of positions.

Upon his departure in December 2005, he spent a brief period with Tamworth before moving to Forest Green Rovers whom he left at the end of the 2005/2006 season.

He began the 2006-2007 season with Tiverton Town and had a short spell with Weston-super-Mare before signing a 18 month contract with Dorchester in February 2007, but Dorchester later released McConnell.

In the 2007-2008 season Barry has again linked up with Weston after being signed by new manager Tony Ricketts. This marks his third stint at the club and he has been featuring regularly in the first team.

Matthew Hockley,26 He can play in defence or midfield.

Hockley was born in Paignton and joined Torquay United as a trainee (in the days when the club had a youth system). He turned professional in July 2000 and made his first team debut in the 1-1 draw at home to Southend United in the FA Cup 1st Round on November 18, 2000. His league debut came the following week in a 2-1 home win against Barnet. He made sporadic appearance over the next two seasons before becoming a regular under Leroy Rosenior, missing only one game in the 2003-04 promotion season. He is nicknamed 'Pitbull' due to his tenacious tackling.

His 200th league appearance came on March 2, 2007 in a 1-1 draw away to Chester City finally finishing on 220 appearances.

Guest mr truro

firstly St Darren no need to be so rude, i respect your coments on this web site, as you should respect mine, the fact is no other Cornish club has done what Truro City have done, they have all tried but failed at the last hurdle, porthleven quarter finals FA Vase ST blazey had a great run in the compitition great efforts by both very well respected clubs, Fact truro City went to Wembley in a national compeition and won where no other cornish :c: Club Has gone before if you are a

Cornishman i don't know getb behind Kevin Heaney and his merry men and take Cornish football where its never been befor. hope you respect my comments.

they have all tried but failed at the last hurdle

But with respect Mr City .... other Cornish clubs who have come close ... Falmouth Town, Torpoint Athletic, Porthleven and St Blazey, all tried it on a much, much, much smaller budget.

I'm not knocking this, but it is a fact.

However, at the end of the day, Truro should still be proud of their achievement to get their name on a national club trophy.

:thumbsup:

Guest Postie Pidge

Falmouth Town took the step up and despite winning the Western League for four successive seasons, the travelling involved would have been much more, but the draw of teams like Wimbledon would have pulled the crowds in.

Falmouth also held the record for getting the furthest in the Vase and are still the only team to reach the 1st round of the FA Cup (on three occasions). Too bad it was all before my time :(

Guest mr truro

sorry to say Mr Deacon but to win things and be the best you have to invest, thats why others came close but not won it, thanks for your comments, good luck to the mighty Truro and who sails with her.

Keep flying that flag :c::c::c::c::c: :c:

Mr Truro, I respect your comments, and the 'shut up' wasn't meant in a rude way.

We've had this argument time and time again about Cornish Football and the good Truro have done. If you can come up with 10 things good Truro have done for Cornish Football, then I might be willing to change my mind on them.

The Vase was won with good players who cost good money, that team would have won it, if they were playing for Goonhavern.

Blah blah blah blah Mr.Truro. Its all very well going on about winning the vase on a far bigger budget than probably any other team in the competition, but hang on that was the season before last. Old news now eh ?

What happened last season. I think the same situation plenty of money but oh dear what happened....oh yes got dumped out 3-0 at home. I think you are in for a tough time soon so make the most of it !!!!!!!

Guest mr truro

:c: budget, budget, budget, budget,budget, you can have all the money in the world but you have got to know how to spend it, and by doing that you need the right players and i think you can say hand on heart they have spent their money with great thought. 10 good reasons? i will start with the FA Vase Cornish clubs have tried for years but not won it and i will state here today, as much as i would love another Cornish club to win it i can't see it happening, i hope i'm wrong. 3 promotions in a row, 3 senior cups in a row, i will get to ten St Darren, i don't mean to be going on about Truro City but they are the most succesfull Club in Cornish history :c::c::c: when i do reach 10 i will buy you a drink at the Home Of Cornish Football TCFC till i die

:c: budget, budget, budget, budget,budget, you can have all the money in the world but you have got to know how to spend it, and by doing that you need the right players and i think you can say hand on heart they have spent their money with great thought. 10 good reasons? i will start with the FA Vase Cornish clubs have tried for years but not won it and i will state here today, as much as i would love another Cornish club to win it i can't see it happening, i hope i'm wrong. 3 promotions in a row, 3 senior cups in a row, i will get to ten St Darren, i don't mean to be going on about Truro City but they are the most succesfull Club in Cornish history :c::c::c: when i do reach 10 i will buy you a drink at the Home Of Cornish Football TCFC till i die

Ok i'm bored now i know that sounds rude but i've given up drinking and in a sh**y mood. You go on about Truro being the most seccesfull club in Cornwall what about Newquay ladies (before they moved) They became succesfull on very little if any money.

You thought of 9 other reasons we should all support Truro yet?? I'm interested to know if you can get pass 5 :D

Yes,I agree with everything that you have said Mr Truro. Truro City are making history season after season for Cornish football,and we should all be very proud of what they have achieved so far.But i'm sorry to say they wont get a lot of praise for the way that they are flying the flag for Cornish football from the anti Truro brigade on this forum.Even if Truro got promoted for the next 3 seasons,you would still get the same old response from them,money money money.Well you tell me any team that has been lucky enough to climb the ladder in football without money being spent.

TRURO CITY ONWARD AND UPWARD

KIT.

Everyone over the years has said 'Cornwall is a Rugby County' -

Perhaps that has been because no Cornish Football team has ever risen up through the leagues to 'test the water' and see what the support level really is.

I believe there is the potential there to get very good attendances - and I have seen a number of people who used to go and watch Rugby at Redruth or Pirates now become regulars at Treyew Road.

It happens to be Truro - but with different circumstances it could have been Falmouth, St Blazey, Newquay or another Cornish Club. I would hope that which ever Club it was then the 'Football-loving' public of Cornwall would give them some level of support.

Another couple of promotions and Truro will be starting to get into serious territory - lets enjoy the 'climb' while it happens and show that Rugby is not the only sport in Cornwall that can pull the crowds.

Guest mr truro

Kit and big G. got it in a nutshell, see you at the Home Of Cornish Football where will will injoy Truro Success with a few of these :smiley20::smiley20::drink: :drink:

I agree as a Cornishman and keen follower of football, people should get behind Truro

Why should people who have supported a club all their lives, now dump it in favour of Truro? :SM_carton:

Truro City and Kevin Heaney claim to be doing all this for Cornwall, they're not, they're doing it for Truro. If Kevin Heaney was doing it for Cornwall, why didn't he support Newquay Ladies, as Newquay Ladies? As far as I'm aware, there is no rule against it, after all Doc Martens were the sponsors of West Ham United and the Southern League at the same time. Wasn't it also there owner or chairman who was involved with Rushden & Diamonds?

Yes, you have been successful, so far, but remember, be nice to people on the way up because you're sure to meet them again on the way down.

So when the many Town fans come to City home games when there team is away are wrong as are the many other clubs supporters who do the same over the current couple of seasons.

There is a valid interest to see top football in the County no one is saying they should stop supporting the club that would be stupid and irresponsible but there is a chance to see quality football and players in the County and you should not be knocking that.

I wasn't suggesting anyone dump their own club in favour of another - I wouldn't -

but I did say they could offer 'some level of support' - just as I did with Falmouth all those years ago when they were doing well.

There is ground to be made with the Rugby supporters - and the many hundreds who travel up to Argyle home matches - if Argyle are away and Truro at home then why not come and see some Southern League Football..??

Guest mr truro

Town Fan

Truro City and Kevin Heaney have supported Newquay Ladies when they were Newquay Ladies, last season, by the way we don't plan on coming down, fly the :c:

lost for words Anita, truth hurts

Nah i'm never lost for words. Just sometimes get bored of the same. If Truro where doing stuff for the good of Cornwall then surely they would of supported the ladies to stay at Newquay. Not pick another succesful ladies team to move to Truro and change their name and going on by whats happened in the past muck them up. I hope it doesn't happen to Newquay Ladies (soon to be Truro Ladies) as they are a good team and a good bunch of girls, but Truro DON'T do everything for the good of Cornish football they do it for the good of Truro FC.

I wish all Truro teams the best for the coming season, but i don't support them and never will.

Guest Postie Pidge

Yes,I agree with everything that you have said Mr Truro. Truro City are making history season after season for Cornish football

Truro have to win the Senior Cup twice more in succession to beat Falmouth's record

Yes,I agree with everything that you have said Mr Truro. Truro City are making history season after season for Cornish football

Truro have to win the Senior Cup twice more in succession to beat Falmouth's record

Not to mention winning eight league championships in succession and getting to the FA Cup 1st round three times.

Perhaps we'd better hang on to that flag for a while longer. :yahoo:

:c:

Guest Helston Patriot

the man should be knighted or even better the next Mayor of Truro who knows :c:

I can just see the New years honours list.... All the LUCKY people to be Knighted will be absolutely gutted they didn't get the highest possible accolade of MAyor of Truro

It would be nice to know if Newquay Reserves - Truro City Reserves will join the Premier League South reserve league. I hear a number of their players may be off to other clubs if they stay where they are

Guest mr truro

town fan i for got FA Vase every Cornish club have been trying for years. can you name me one Cornish club who has won it, lets have a quess, Falmouth NO, St Blazey, NO Porthleven,NO,NewquayNO, THE HOME OF CORNISH FOOTBALL TCFC YES :yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo: :c::c::c::clapper::clapper::clapper: (FACT) UP THE CITY

have a quess Anita

falmouth Town Fan 8 titals in a row but your still instep 6 we have the :c::c::c::c::c::c::clapper::clapper:

When Town won the Western League we did it without a big money backer and in those days there was no Blue Square Conference, so in today's terms we were at step 3. Seven of our then rivals are now in the Southern League and one in the the Blue Square. We'll see how you get on against them...

town fan i for got FA Vase every Cornish club have been trying for years. can you name me one Cornish club who has won it, lets have a quess, Falmouth NO, St Blazey, NO Porthleven,NO,NewquayNO, THE HOME OF CORNISH FOOTBALL TCFC YES :yahoo::yahoo: :yahoo: :c::c::c::clapper::clapper::clapper: (FACT) UP THE CITY

have a quess Anita

By the looks of mr truro's spelling he can't have been supporting them that long!

Because my three year old niece doesn't spell guess - 'quess'

Just a few points!

Newquay Ladies are a great team if you look at their standards compared to the rest of Cornwall. I watched them in a tournament a couple of season ago and they were mustard! They are also a good looking team. (not sexist - that is a natural observation!)

This Truro - Falmouth arguement is a bit like the Liverpool - Man United one that I always hear. I think it is safe to say that they should get a flag each, and anyone else who wants one can have one too! If Cornwall does pull together it will get stronger. If Truro do raise the profile here then other clubs may be able to attract better players too etc etc etc!

Lastly, I have an idea of how Truro can prove thier commitment to Cornish Football..... hehe! Storm FC are currently looking for sponsorship to develop their facilties. We are an ambitious club who is trying to lay a foundation to become a senior club. Please PM me with your offer!

Guest City Legend

I tell you what - some of the mindless banter on this thread is just plain pointless

As someone who has been involved with the TCFC on and off for over 25 years, through either playing/coaching/managing or supporting, I just can't understand why there needs to be so much animosity in either the pro or anti Truro brigade.

Mr Truro - I think I know who you are and you put across a lot of relevant points but the manner in which some of your posts are written will be interpretted as arrogant. I can see that your intention is to prompt a response that you expect to be antagonistic, but why? By association, you and some of the other posters, are giving the impression that all of us at the club consider ourselves to be superior to other clubs - we do not.

The negative and inane 'banter' does nothing for those of us who are actually trying to promote football at Truro City for the benefit of the youth of Truro and potentially a wider area.

There are lots of reasons why people have a problem with Truro and, believe me, I fully inderstand a lot of them. However, why give anyone extra ammunition? It doesn't actually help anybody, especially those volunteers within Truro trying to do something positive, and may give people the wrong impression that everyone at Truro thinks that Cornish football becomes unimportant and irrelevant as soon as you leave the city boundaries.

Mr Truro is not on his own on this site. For the sake of those of us trying to do good things at Truro, give us a break and try getting on with our fellow footballing enthusiasts - it won't hurt. :thumbsup:

For those that don't like Truro, good luck with your football wherever ever you are but in a similar vein to the above, some of the vehemence seems a bit over the top.

Anyway, I'll go back to my pipe and slippers and dreams of global peace and harmony. :smiley20:

Leg.

Well Leg,I for one like your posting and agree that City are doing a great job, but suffer poor P.R.due to some rather immature postings by a few.

Let's all wish all local Clubs well in their endeavours to improve standards of facilities and on the field.Getting financial assistance is a Minefield and requires special people to steer any project through the various Committees etc that approve them.

City had more than a Head start with the incoming of Mr Heaney and we all would envy this.