Cornwall Football Forum

Ivybridge Tn 2 St Austell 2 Champs Bowl. Ivies win 5-4 on Pens

A fabulous game tonight. Free flowing, see-saw game with both teams having periods of dominance. An even first half, Snozzle edged the second, with the Ivies coming on strong in the closing minutes. No surprise there as they were chasing the game!

18 minutes in and it was  1-1. Ivies took the lead after a defensive mix up involving the St A keeper allowed Owen Pritchard to score. Very quickly Snozzle were level. Henry Wilson dispossessed a defender and comfortably score from about 10 yards. From there on the game ebbed and flowed with both sides having opportunities. An even first half.

The second period saw St Austell start strongly and they were firmly on top. Deservedly, a beautiful Jake Miller strike from about 20 yards on 55  minutes had the Lilywhites in front. They continued to have the upper hand but couldn’t finish the game off. As the game entered its later stages St Austell were warned. The Devonians saw an effort roll along the line. It looked  certain to go in off the far post but somehow didn’t. Close!

95 minutes and the ball is forced home in dramatic fashion from close in. No idea of the scorer. Maybe an own goal? The Cornishmen were 60 seconds from a second trophy, but at no point did Ivybridge give up. Their late probing and strong team spirit got them a  last gasp draw…… and then a 5-4 win on penalties!

A superb game. A real credit to the SWPL. Another well organised and hosted game by Lanson. The only disappointment was the crowd. I’d guess at about 180. That is well down on the two previous such finals I’ve been to. Always have this game on a Saturday, especially in view of where the proceeds go. Gate money matters for this fixture!

3 games left for me now this season. The Les Phillips Cup Final on Sunday and St Piran League games at Saltash Borough and Looe Town. Around 80 live games seen this season and tonight was one of the best. I look forward to seeing who Liskeard play in next years Champions Bowl 😉

• Both Sides of the Tamar changed the title to Ivybridge Tn 2 St Austell 2 Champs Bowl. Ivies win 5-4 on Pens
6 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Always have this game on a Saturday, especially in view of where the proceeds go. Gate money matters for this fixture!

Although still approx £700 going to the charity fund 👏

8 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

A fabulous game tonight. Free flowing, see-saw game with both teams having periods of dominance. An even first half, Snozzle edged the second, with the Ivies coming on strong in the closing minutes. No surprise there as they were chasing the game!

18 minutes in and it was  1-1. Ivies took the lead after a defensive mix up involving the St A keeper allowed Owen Pritchard to score. Very quickly Snozzle were level. Henry Wilson dispossessed a defender and comfortably score from about 10 yards. From there on the game ebbed and flowed with both sides have opportunities. An even first half.

The second period saw St Austell start strongly and they were firmly on top. Deservedly, a beautiful Jake Miller strike from about 20 yards on 55  minutes had the Lilywhites in front. They continued to have the upper hand but couldn’t finish the game off. As the game entered its later stages St Austell were warned. The Devonians saw an effort roll along the line. It looked  certain to go in off the far post but somehow didn’t. Close!

95 minutes and the ball is forced home in dramatic fashion from close in. No idea of the scorer. Maybe an own goal? The Cornishmen were 60 seconds from a second trophy, but at no point did Ivybridge give up. Their late probing and strong team spirit got them a  last gasp draw…… and then a 5-4 win on penalties!

A superb game. A real credit to the SWPL. Another well organised and hosted game by Lanson. The only disappointment was the crowd. I’d guess at about 180. That is well down on the two previous such finals I’ve been to. Always have this game on a Saturday, especially in view of where the proceeds go. Gate money matters for this fixture!

3 games left for me now this season. The Les Phillips Cup Final on Sunday and St Piran League games at Saltash Borough and Looe Town. Around 80 live games seen this season and tonight was one of the best. I look forward to seeing who Liskeard play in next years Champions Bowl 😉

We had looked at Saturday 11th but couldn't as that is non league finals day, looked at Friday 10th but were also not able to stage it then .. yesterday was the only date left factoring in EVERYTHING that we faced this season 

Know that a lot can (and probably will) change regarding players and squads, but out of St Austell and Ivybridge, what are people's thoughts on who will be higher in the final Western League Prem table of 2024/25? I'm going to say Ivybridge.

12 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Know that a lot can (and probably will) change regarding players and squads, but out of St Austell and Ivybridge, what are people's thoughts on who will be higher in the final Western League Prem table of 2024/25? I'm going to say Ivybridge.

Impossible to say with St A. Like their neighbours Blazey 12 months ago, quite a few won’t step up to WL due to time / travel  demands of Step 5’.

The Ivies will be no Millvrook, but can’t see them challenging either, unless squad strengthened,  but I doubt they have the money for that.

Geographically (for me) and for many in Cornwall two ‘helpful’ additions to  the WL travel wise. 

Heard plenty of rumours of who gamble and Bailey are trying to sign next season maybe some decent budget to play with there and definitely a club on the up. .   they may well be right up there next season wouldn’t surprise me if they do a helston.  

1 hour ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Maybe not a Helston, but having a Step 5 club in the Plymouth area should certainly be appealing to the countless players who travel into Cornwall to play that level. Gambs and Bailey have done hell of a job in their first season that can't be argued! 

Wayne did really well at the now defunct Mount Gould before that. Ivies are good to watch and offer a pleasant place to watch football too. I hope they do well. 

6 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Although still approx £700 going to the charity fund 👏

What was the gate last night Dave?

I’ll echo what BSOTT said, a really enjoyable watch, with decent company (for the most part 😉). For me St Austell were the better team over the 90 mins, but not much in it tbf. I’ve seen Sa4 times this season and that was the best I’ve seen them. Ivybridge looked a good well organised team, the only downside being their absolutely shocking kits 😁

1 hour ago, Scott Foley - The Jam Tart said:

I’ll echo what BSOTT said, a really enjoyable watch, with decent company (for the most part 😉). For me St Austell were the better team over the 90 mins, but not much in it tbf. I’ve seen Sa4 times this season and that was the best I’ve seen them. Ivybridge looked a good well organised team, the only downside being their absolutely shocking kits 😁

Can't beat a bit of green on a football shirt, especially Argyle's 2022/23 Hibernian-like shirt! Look forward to catching up  again soon and seeing that Bude card collection grow further 😉