Cornwall Football Forum

Mousehole in Wednesdays Play-offs

Mousehole comfortably beaten by Frome in a game that was all done and dusted by half time. Just 5 minutes had been played when Frome opened the scoring as Mousehole were caught out trying to play out from the back before Kane Simpson fired home. Last time I saw Mousehole this season at Willand they struggled to deal the physical presence of Owen Howe leading the line and tonight the centre backs were bullied by the physical presence of Simpson.

Mousehole continued to try and play out from the back but only ended up playing themselves in to trouble as Frome pressed them intensely and picked up every second ball.

The second goal came after about 20 minutes as Frome's leading marksman James Ollis found himself unmarked from a corner to head home. Whenever I have seen Mousehole the last 3 seasons they have always struggled defending set pieces.

Then in the 1st of 3 minutes added on at the end of the first half Ollis finished of a good counter to put the game to bed.

Second half there was very little goal mouth action as Frome who played the last half hour with 10 comfortably sat in and let Mousehole have the ball but the play was all side to side and in front of them. Then when they did get the ball into the box it was always dealt with in no nonsense fashion by one of Frome's 3 big experienced centre backs who were dominant all night.

Still , a great season for Mousehole.  Any newly promoted side,  would be more than happy,  to finish in the play offs!

Frome could of win the league outright, so an away play off , was always going to be tough. 

Huge achievement for Mousehole to get to the play offs, but interesting to see where they go from here.

There is of course now both Helston and Falmouth joining them in this league, and competing for players in the same talent pool.

The sides that have gone up, Wimborne and Frome, both attract average gates of over 500 and have the support and backing to compete strongly in the Southern Prem.

It certainly is a lot more expensive in the Southern League, and hence you are right big crowds = big gate revenue. Also there is a minimum admission fee, currently £8, but most teams are £10.

Ground grading requirements are oppressive and expensive, good luck to Helston and Falmouth.

Admin is huge with club secretaries taking on nearly a full time job, with fines imposed by SL plc if anything is late.

Big bonus is FA Cup & FA Trophy entry with decent prize money from the off.

We (Mousehole AFC) will look forward to our local derby's back, and are happy to wish you good luck.💚😁👍

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

Huge achievement for Mousehole to get to the play offs, but interesting to see where they go from here.

There is of course now both Helston and Falmouth joining them in this league, and competing for players in the same talent pool.

The sides that have gone up, Wimborne and Frome, both attract average gates of over 500 and have the support and backing to compete strongly in the Southern Prem.

All three have different recruitment strategies so there may not be as much competition for the same players as you'd think between the three teams, however Helston and Falmouth might find themselves losing some as they decide they don't want to travel the longer distances. That could make recruitment interesting.

There are players in the SWPL who could step up if they are prepared to do the travelling, I'd imaging St Austell might lose a few and Liskeard may or may not keep that squad together, however will be an interesting summer for a number of clubs.

As for Mousehole, where do they go, like all three, they seem well managed, have a plan and so far it's worked so I guess there isn't much of a need to change direction

On 01/05/2024 at 23:26, SomersetObserver said:

Mousehole comfortably beaten by Frome in a game that was all done and dusted by half time. Just 5 minutes had been played when Frome opened the scoring as Mousehole were caught out trying to play out from the back before Kane Simpson fired home. Last time I saw Mousehole this season at Willand they struggled to deal the physical presence of Owen Howe leading the line and tonight the centre backs were bullied by the physical presence of Simpson.

Mousehole continued to try and play out from the back but only ended up playing themselves in to trouble as Frome pressed them intensely and picked up every second ball.

The second goal came after about 20 minutes as Frome's leading marksman James Ollis found himself unmarked from a corner to head home. Whenever I have seen Mousehole the last 3 seasons they have always struggled defending set pieces.

Then in the 1st of 3 minutes added on at the end of the first half Ollis finished of a good counter to put the game to bed.

Second half there was very little goal mouth action as Frome who played the last half hour with 10 comfortably sat in and let Mousehole have the ball but the play was all side to side and in front of them. Then when they did get the ball into the box it was always dealt with in no nonsense fashion by one of Frome's 3 big experienced centre backs who were dominant all night.

Just LOVE that playing from the back tactic. So easy to play against - and better for refs, apparently, who don't have to run so far during a game!

18 minutes ago, John Thomas Allcock said:

It certainly is a lot more expensive in the Southern League, and hence you are right big crowds = big gate revenue. Also there is a minimum admission fee, currently £8, but most teams are £10.

Ground grading requirements are oppressive and expensive, good luck to Helston and Falmouth.

Admin is huge with club secretaries taking on nearly a full time job, with fines imposed by SL plc if anything is late.

We (Mousehole AFC) will look forward to our local derby's back, and are happy to wish you good luck.💚😁👍

The 22 team, 42 game, Southern Div 1 season worries me. Can see serious issues for teams trying to fit these extra games in (especially if this past winter is the new normal).

18 minutes ago, Railwayman in Exile said:

All three have different recruitment strategies so there may not be as much competition for the same players as you'd think between the three teams, however Helston and Falmouth might find themselves losing some as they decide they don't want to travel the longer distances. That could make recruitment interesting.

There are players in the SWPL who could step up if they are prepared to do the travelling, I'd imaging St Austell might lose a few and Liskeard may or may not keep that squad together, however will be an interesting summer for a number of clubs.

As for Mousehole, where do they go, like all three, they seem well managed, have a plan and so far it's worked so I guess there isn't much of a need to change direction

With both Mousehole and Falmouth having local manager’s I believe they’ll be looking at local players in the main, especially Falmouth. However, I believe Mousehole will be looking get automatic promotion next season, whilst Falmouth will be looking to consolidate. Helston is an interesting one, likely change of manager, possibly not, but do they go for it in their first season or look to consolidate 🤔

2 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

How much work do helston and Falmouth need to put into the ground to get any further and progress ?   

My understanding is and I may be wide of the mark, Helston have been doing groundwork ahead of any promotions, so it's enclose the ground, turnstiles and increase the covered seating and standing areas.

Falmouth no idea, I've asked before as Helston and Falmouth always looked like the two best teams and to me it was a case of how finished first and who finished second. I'd think Falmouth have far more to do but they have until the 31st March but would love to know what's needed.

On 05/05/2024 at 11:37, Yourhavingalaugh said:

With both Mousehole and Falmouth having local manager’s I believe they’ll be looking at local players in the main, especially Falmouth. However, I believe Mousehole will be looking get automatic promotion next season, whilst Falmouth will be looking to consolidate. Helston is an interesting one, likely change of manager, possibly not, but do they go for it in their first season or look to consolidate 🤔

You may well be better connected than me, but I was told that Matt Cusack is not amongst the applicants for the Parkway job (over 30 of them according to the piece in the Herald last week) . Going to be a very interesting summer of transfer rumours amongst the West Cornwall Southern League contingent. In my opinion, no such thing as consolidation at this level. If you aren't continually strengthening, you're going backwards.

On 05/05/2024 at 11:10, John Thomas Allcock said:

As I've said before, once you get to step 4 level the backroom jobs start to move beyond that of being part time/volunteering roles. Pretty sure that both AFC Totton and Salisbury had full time chief execs in the Southern Prem last season.

41 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

You may well be better connected than me, but I was told that Matt Cusack is not amongst the applicants for the Parkway job (over 30 of them according to the piece in the Herald last week) . Going to be a very interesting summer of transfer rumours amongst the West Cornwall Southern League contingent. In my opinion, no such thing as consolidation at this level. If you aren't continually strengthening, you're going backwards.

As I've said before, once you get to step 4 level the backroom jobs start to move beyond that of being part time/volunteering roles. Pretty sure that both AFC Totton and Salisbury had full time chief execs in the Southern Prem last season.

Every football club in country looks to strengthen their squad, but IMO when you go up a league, you’re initially not sure whether the players who got you promotion are good enough or not. Some clubs immediately sign players who have played that level, but are mentally and physically on the way down. Signing apparently big named players right at the beginning of season does’t guarantee anything. I think it’s a case as learn as you go, a bit like Mousehole who signed a number of players during the season which pushed the club into a play off spot. Great management in my opinion. Build as you go.

Plus, it’s not just about the team, you’ve got to take the supporters with you. Mousehole’s attendance’s seem to be on a steady increase, Falmouth’s seem to attract a lot of families and friends, unfortunately Helston’s are somewhat disappointing, but surely must improve next season.

Saltash and St Blazey seem to be building a good platform on and off the pitch to naturally progress without breaking the bank. Hopefully another Cornish team with make the Southern League next season.