St Albans City                 0-1        Torquay United

Taunton Town                  1-0        Welling United

Truro City                        1-2        Hampton & Richmond Borough

Weston-super-Mare          0-3        Slough Town

Worthing                          1-2        Aveley

Yeovil Town                    1-1        Maidstone United

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 19 August 2023

Observations from City v H & R

Decent enough game. City were quite bright in the first half, but faded in the second half against a competent visiting side. Paul Wotton clearly unhappy in the post match interview. He's usually on the money, but seemed a little harsh this time out. On the first half performance I felt City in terms of possession and chances (spurned) maybe deserved something out of the game. Unfortunately the White Tigers looked leggy as well as lacking ideas later into the game.

With Hamon, Sullivan and Harvey back to choose from I think City will be alright. I think most sensible people realise the target this year has to be to preserve NL South status in readiness for the long-awaited return to Truro.

What is clear from the opening games is that this division is a notable step up in quality from the SL Premier. Eastbourne away next Saturday looks tough. Frankly, a scratchier level of performance but with some reward will suffice. 

13 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Observations from City v H & R

Decent enough game. City were quite bright in the first half, but faded in the second half against a competent visiting side. Paul Wotton clearly unhappy in the post match interview. He's usually on the money, but seemed a little harsh this time out. On the first half performance I felt City in terms of possession and chances (spurned) maybe deserved something out of the game. Unfortunately the White Tigers looked leggy as well as lacking ideas later into the game.

With Hamon, Sullivan and Harvey back to choose from I think City will be alright. I think most sensible people realise the target this year has to be to preserve NL South status in readiness for the long-awaited return to Truro.

What is clear from the opening games is that this division is a notable step up in quality from the SL Premier. Eastbourne away next Saturday looks tough. Frankly, a scratchier level of performance but with some reward will suffice. 

Truro are having done to them so far what they did regularly to other teams last season, namely late goals deciding games.  Fitness levels, and a lack of options off the bench to change things around at vital stages, must come into it against sides that have more experience at this level.

Paul Wotton must be hoping to get some of the injured players back this week (although it sounds like Billy Palfrey is out until the New Year), a quick turnaround with the Eastbourne match away on Saturday and Farnborough at Bolitho on Monday will test his resources. 

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Truro are having done to them so far what they did regularly to other teams last season, namely late goals deciding games.  Fitness levels, and a lack of options off the bench to change things around at vital stages, must come into it against sides that have more experience at this level.

Paul Wotton must be hoping to get some of the injured players back this week (although it sounds like Billy Palfrey is out until the New Year), a quick turnaround with the Eastbourne match away on Saturday and Farnborough at Bolitho on Monday will test his resources. 

I think Truro will be ok this year, but I keep asking myself, what will the squad look like, and who will be the  manager when they eventually move back to Cornwall……. enter Jake Ash and his Mousehole connections 🤔

2 minutes ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

I think Truro will be ok this year, but I keep asking myself, what will the squad look like, and who will be the  manager when they eventually move back to Cornwall……. enter Jake Ash and his Mousehole connections 🤔

Long thought that this will be a looming cloud on the horizon for Mousehole, and further incentive for them to keep moving through the pyramid. 

Jake Ash certainly cuts a very impressive figure at Trungle Parc, and a Truro legend/Cornish native as manager together with a nucleus of players born and based in the county, will make selling tickets for the new stadium a lot easier. 

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Long thought that this will be a looming cloud on the horizon for Mousehole, and further incentive for them to keep moving through the pyramid. 

Jake Ash certainly cuts a very impressive figure at Trungle Parc, and a Truro legend/Cornish native as manager together with a nucleus of players born and based in the county, will make selling tickets for the new stadium a lot easier. 

Thought Jake was from over the border.  Came to Falmouth to attend college and previously played for Budleigh Salterton unless mistaken.  Not sure he is a Cornish Native.

8 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Thought Jake was from over the border.  Came to Falmouth to attend college and previously played for Budleigh Salterton unless mistaken.  Not sure he is a Cornish Native.

Quite right Town Man--Previous club Budleigh Salterton, Jake Ash  Falmouth Town 2002 to 2005  Appearances 111-Goals 24   joined Truro City 2005/06

12 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

What was the attendance ? I see Argyle had an earlier kick off so some football fans may have doubled up.

12 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

What was the attendance ? I see Argyle had an earlier kick off so some football fans may have doubled up.

Not the best, but take Falmouth Town 50 miles+ away from their home base it wouldn't be great either. No trophies or promotions based on crowd numbers.

Even upon returning to Truro it will take time to build and solidify the fan base. I wish them well with that endeavour and will take in plenty of games at Langarth.

17 hours ago, golong said:

Truro will be fine. They'll survive, Harvey back shortly and a few others returning - a lot of positives to take from the opening fixtures to date. 

I think so. The concern for me is they've played well for a lot of the 4 games, and haven't really got rewards. Performance is likely to dip at some point, its just how seasons tend to work out, will their luck change and will they get points through not playing as well. They really need a couple more bodies, I'd like to see two new wingbacks so the manager can bring on fresh legs with 20 to go.