Cornwall Football Forum

Callington town season 23/24

posted today,,,

"The club's number one priority is to bring the local players back to Callington and to re-establish that connection with the community as well as providing a pathway  from the Callington Colts youth setup into the adult game."

excellent news from Callington, its the way forward, and hopefully the local community will come and watch a local team and players, also i have been told the reserves st piran side is very youthful, 

Whilst very admirable that Callington have gone down the local player route which I support and results pre-season have suggested they have made steps forward, feel they have tried this pathway before not so many years ago and even a few times before that and it brought very little success as the local players were simply not good enough. 

On the flip side of the coin, if the club have set their stall out and stated that they just want the Team to be competitive and made up of local players and are not worried about success or league position at the end of the season then fair play to them and the local approach is a good move.

Good luck to Callington for the season, great little club.

Success is contextual. I have zero doubt the likes of Barrett, Prescott, Southcott, McCallion etc brought in from St Dom and Gunnislake will be good enough for Calli in the SWL. Gunni and Dom finished 2nd and 3rd last season. Typically that's good enough for SWL to go up as singular entities. Merge the best of both and you have a very strong squad. I'd hang my hat on they won't be anywhere near the usual strugglers at the bottom of the SWL come April. 

23 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Success is contextual. I have zero doubt the likes of Barrett, Prescott, Southcott, McCallion etc brought in from St Dom and Gunnislake will be good enough for Calli in the SWL. Gunni and Dom finished 2nd and 3rd last season. Typically that's good enough for SWL to go up as singular entities. Merge the best of both and you have a very strong squad. I'd hang my hat on they won't be anywhere near the usual strugglers at the bottom of the SWL come April. 

From the Pre-season game I saw it appears to just be Gunni's squad & management from last season, although I have seen Calli have now announced Prescott on their socials. 

I agree, a combination of both would certainly be a strong squad at that level but they may struggle if it is in fact just the Gunnislake team from last season. 

13 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

I don’t think you’ll find Barrett has gone there. 

53 minutes ago, The Badger said:

ive seen him play for both callington and st dom in pre-season

To save all the back and forth, Martin is quite right in the fact that Harvey will remain at St Dominick this season however, he has dual signed for us in Callington and I'm sure he'll feature for us on occasion throughout the season.

Thanks to Gibbo, Baysy and others for your positive words and and it's always nice to listen to the doubts of others!

Looking forward to getting stuck in this season, the biggest success for us this year will be whether we can give the club a sustainable platform to build upon and develop in the future.

I am fortunate in the sense that within a few miles radius of the club lies a fairly sizeable pool of talented players. Admittedly, the majority are making the step up from the St Pirans league last season however, it isn't through a lack of ability as is evident from the number of approaches they have had from numerous clubs over the past couple of seasons.

Anyway, time will tell! I've always tried to avoid posting on here as I don't want my words to come back and bite me in the backside but just wanted to stop the bickering and put to bed the question of the players' ability.