Cornwall Football Forum

From their Facebook page :-

“It saddens us to write that we have been left no option but to fold the first team and will not be fielding any adult sides in the 2023/24 season. Due to a large volume of players leaving and not enough coming in there was little chance of getting a side together for the start of the season in a months time.

Its a sad time for all those involved in the club, we can only thank those that have been loyal and represented the badge in recent seasons. To all 3 manager’s across both teams last year, Wayne House, Rob Gall and Phil Harvey for guiding the club through difficult times. Thank you also to Phil Williamson and everyone at Rosudgeon Club for doing all they could to keep the side going. 

Hopefully we will see the oxen in action once again further down the line”

I’m really sorry to hear this, I know what they have gone through to make that tough decision. 

This is something I brought up at the Trelawny League AGM. I was worried for clubs especially those with close cricketing sides and larger town clubs nearby would struggle at the start and would fold. 

2 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

I’m really sorry to hear this, I know what they have gone through to make that tough decision. 

This is something I brought up at the Trelawny League AGM. I was worried for clubs especially those with close cricketing sides and larger town clubs nearby would struggle at the start and would fold. 

They all had the option to start later, going from September though. And relying on players from other clubs is not sustainable in the long run. See this as the big reset I feel.

15 minutes ago, Keith B said:

So sad for all concerned with the club. Supporters - no matter how many or few, will feel the void in their lives. I hope that there is regeneration in the future for Rosudgeon FC. 

I've known Phil Wiiliamson for a long time and had a good chat with him this morning.  Obviously he's not happy with the situation but they're going to keep the pitch and facilities up to standard and hope to regenerate a team next season.  Sad to see a club going from 2 teams to nothing in such a short time.

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Come on all you football loving lads - here's a great cause to fight for ! 

Keith sad , but I'm afraid many Penwith clubs over the past 20 plus years have gone , my old club Longrock housing development now being built on it ☹, Sennen , Madron , Marazion , Gulval , Heamoor , now Rosudgeon , probably some I have missed . Ludgvan had 3 teams , so did Mousehole and Penzance , Longrock had 3 at one stage , there was then the West Penwith league and Amor shield , plus cups , Marazion cub , Reynolds cup plus a few others , progressive sides joined the mining league Longrock included which we rose up to mining one my claim to fame getting us promoted to division one , then when we went up a lot of players exited to join their mates at another club , this was the beginning of the end for Longrock from 3 teams down to 2 then one , hardest day football wise was calling an extraordinary meeting then finding only 3 of us were prepared to do all the work and there wasn't enough players to fulfil the fixtures we folded , I was in tears but it wasnt the end , I had to inform league , fa ect , gutted.   The team the majority left for went on for a few more seasons but alas they are no more .  Players have always jumped ship , and they dont care for clubs just themselves,  but the amount of teams they can go to is shrinking very quickly , very sad sympathy for Rosudgeon and all involved,  I always remember having to put 20p in the meter outside the changing room to get hot showers , that was fun especially the tight wads trying to not pay 😁😁😁, , Good luck in the future  .

Very sad news, all indicative of the demographic shift in that part of Cornwall though. An ageing population with youngsters not sticking around in the area through a lack of employment and educational opportunities, and also having no chance of ever being afford to buy (or even rent) properties to live in. Local football is merely the "canary in the mine" regarding this.