Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday 21 February 2023

TOOLSTATION WESTERN LEAGUE

LES PHILLIPS CUP

Almondsbury        0-2        Keynsham Town

Buckland Athletic   6-2      Torpoint Athletic

Helston Athletic    2-1        Falmouth Town

Odd Down (BATH)  1-2    Ilfracombe Town

Shepton Mallet     1-1        FC Bristol (3-2 Shepton on pens)

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 21 February 2023

Torpoint got a bit of a hiding at Homers  Heath in the cup ! 

Not even sure what round it was and don’t think I’ve ever seen  a mention of the draws on the forum.

Probably a nice trophy to win bit the  coverage on here and on the Western league site has been poor,

but good luck in the next round Buckland, or is that the Final ? Lol

Helston 42 - 38 Falmouth Town. I didn't catch the score, I was too busy tallying up how many times the ref was crowded.and another interesting figure was Helston 8-12 Falmouth for the amount of play acting diving and rolling around like they'd been shot. There were moments when the game was good and interesting and the referee was allowed to referee instead of baby sit but as it drew closer to the end I feared Id have to watch extra time because the game was just flat and for the majority quite boring. Two red cards and several yellow cards and I'd say most all deserved as the ref tried to keep control which was being made very hard for him I actually felt sorry for him and the linesman on the dugout side who were getting so much stick I could hear it from the bench I was sitting on on the other side of the pitch.the last goal was a good one to win the game for Helston but it was the only time in the game I thought theyd win as I had my money on Falmouth all through game as they looked more of a threat.stand in goalkeeper only really tested once and he will be wondering how the free kick went in but it was a good strike.fslmouth number ten a noticeable player for me who didn't stop running.

1 hour ago, BrummyBarry said:

Helston 42 - 38 Falmouth Town. I didn't catch the score, I was too busy tallying up how many times the ref was crowded.and another interesting figure was Helston 8-12 Falmouth for the amount of play acting diving and rolling around like they'd been shot. There were moments when the game was good and interesting and the referee was allowed to referee instead of baby sit but as it drew closer to the end I feared Id have to watch extra time because the game was just flat and for the majority quite boring. Two red cards and several yellow cards and I'd say most all deserved as the ref tried to keep control which was being made very hard for him I actually felt sorry for him and the linesman on the dugout side who were getting so much stick I could hear it from the bench I was sitting on on the other side of the pitch.the last goal was a good one to win the game for Helston but it was the only time in the game I thought theyd win as I had my money on Falmouth all through game as they looked more of a threat.stand in goalkeeper only really tested once and he will be wondering how the free kick went in but it was a good strike.fslmouth number ten a noticeable player for me who didn't stop running.

Somewhat naively, I thought that the events at Blazey v Bude might have caused a few to reflect on their own behaviour. 

7 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

Torpoint got a bit of a hiding at Homers  Heath in the cup ! 

Not even sure what round it was and don’t think I’ve ever seen  a mention of the draws on the forum.

Probably a nice trophy to win bit the  coverage on here and on the Western league site has been poor,

but good luck in the next round Buckland, or is that the Final ? Lol

Excellent win (and performance) for Bucks, despite going a goal down early on and they now progress to the 3rd Round. Can they reach another final and give us another great day out like the last time? 

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

What happened to the days when a referee would run past a player and have a quiet word in his ear?

Because back in the day players had more respect for referees not now . Most youngsters couldn’t care less who the ref is he a joke figure to them someone of authority that annoys them.  So if the ref has a quite word he the surrounded by 5-6 players and the manager . 

2 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

What happened to the days when a referee would run past a player and have a quiet word in his ear?

That still happens. You just may not see or notice it. You shouldn't if done correctly, because it is, as you say a quiet word in his ear. 

Referee has tools at his disposal:

Do nothing, quiet word, public chat, with or without captain, booking, red card and the referee can cycle through these or can escalate to any one of the above at any given time as and when it is needed for an offence

1 minute ago, Buckland Jim said:

It was indeed BSOTT - great day, great weather. We stayed in Bristol for the weekend with it being Bank Holiday and that rounded it off nicely. 🌞😎

Nick Barker full back come emergency ‘keeper made some solid saves inc pen shootout and also scores from the spot himself in said shootout! If memory serves me well I think Bucks equaliser was quite late on in normal time. Longwell Green Sports did a good job of hosting the final too. 

This team might not be far off from claiming that title again, although always need luck with draws and with decisions. 

The heavily regionalised draw giving us yet another Helston v Fal Tn game a bit disappointing, although understandable with midweek travel demands!

2 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Excellent win (and performance) for Bucks, despite going a goal down early on and they now progress to the 3rd Round. Can they reach another final and give us another great day out like the last time? 

No idea of the format, or what stage of the competition we are at, but Buckland must think they have a chance of winning this. The clubs immediately above them could be distracted by the title and promotion race. Would certainly set the Bucks up for a tilt at these things in 2023/24.

45 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

No idea of the format, or what stage of the competition we are at, but Buckland must think they have a chance of winning this. The clubs immediately above them could be distracted by the title and promotion race. Would certainly set the Bucks up for a tilt at these things in 2023/24.

Totally agree, got a great chance of winning it again this season. As for next season in the league, that must certainly be the clubs aim to be challenging for promotion, everything is in place for a tilt, that's for sure. 

6 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

No idea of the format, or what stage of the competition we are at

I’m told that Helston will play at home against Buckland now . The winners from that 1/4 final will then play away in semi-final to whoever has won through from Group 2. Final to be on neutral ground 13th May. 

Tuesday’s matches could be consider either 2nd Rd or 3rd Rd ties, it depends on whether you consider earlier fixtures were Preliminary / Qualifying Rd or 1st Rd!!!