Cornwall Football Forum

Most Welcoming Clubs in Kernow (and Devon)?

I wrote a piece about the crowd levels  and match day experience at the Waterways Stadium. Now without just bigging your own club, which clubs do you enjoy visiting and why?  I think my favourites would include Wendron, Buckland, Tavi and Sticker. Sometimes it is the facilities, be that a quirky ground, nice clubhouse or top tea hut. Sometimes it is the welcome of the host club. Sometimes it is something not easy to quantify! What do people think?

From my past days following Plymouth Parkway in the Peninsula League.

Best

Lux Park, Liskeard- Great food and drink in the tea hut, plenty of cover and hard standing.

Penlee Parc, Penzance- Loved the trip down on the train, lovely old stand and the best spectator entrance in Cornwall.

Edge Down, Witheridge - Not the best spectator facilities, but good and drink and a nice group of people that seemed genuinely pleased you had made the long journey to the back of beyond (or North Devon as it's sometimes called).

Worst (just my personal opinion)

Priory Park, Bodmin- A large, but decrepit stand, that (when not hosting football) served as a location for the towns undesirables doing God knows what at night. Very small, but unpleasant, group of supporters.

Erme Valley, Ivybridge (before the pitch was moved and ground developed, floodlights added)- Always bloody waterlogged, got drenched there as no cover or hard standing available and had the misfortune of standing next to someone who, mid conversation, unzipped this trousers and urinated against the back of the subs bench. Charming.

Kimberley Stadium, Saltash- Felt like it was stuck in the 70's. Lack of hard standing, miserable supporters who had a superiority complex (even in the times when the team was poor, they still lived on past glories), crap food and difficult to park. Something about the place just always felt unpleasant ( I'm from Liskeard, so it is in my DNA to hate the place). 

35 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Kimberley Stadium, Saltash- Felt like it was stuck in the 70's. Lack of hard standing, miserable supporters who had a superiority complex (even in the times when the team was poor, they still lived on past glories), crap food and difficult to park. Something about the place just always felt unpleasant ( I'm from Liskeard, so it is in my DNA to hate the place). 

Still is in most respects 🤐

4 hours ago, Buckland Jim said:

Still is in most respects 🤐

Miserable moany supporters at Saltash for sure. Very cliquey club. Facilities poor(ish) and dated for a 'big club'

Sticker - along with Wendron friendliest club in Cornwall. Great facilities and pitch too. 

WOTP - comments still true about Lux Park! Volunteers in tea hut a hard working bunch!

Should have added Torpoint and The Mill to my list of favourites! Still have my crush on the lovely tall smiley woman in the tea hut there!! The Hot Choc with Cream and Marshmallows a bargain at £1.00 Great stands. Rarely are games called off. The best match programme in Cornwall.  Everything to like, nothing to not. 

Liskeard - proper football club. Excellent tea hut. Team is a delight to watch ATM. Easy to get to. Covered seating and standing. Only minor niggle - only a team sheet on match day!

29 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Should have added Torpoint and The Mill to my list of favourites! Still have my crush on the lovely tall smiley woman in the tea hut there!! The Hot Choc with Cream and Marshmallows a bargain at £1.00 Great stands. Rarely are games called off. The best match programme in Cornwall.  Everything to like, nothing to not. 

She will love that!!! I'll tell her on Saturday. 🤣