Cornwall Football Forum

St Dennis manager steps down

St Dennis are a lovely club and money doesn't appear to have been an issue.

Their facilities have improved tremendously in the last few years and they like other village teams have a small hard working committee.

They have struggled on the pitch since the Rickards and other regular players either packed up or left the club, a number of the replacements are not of the standard needed to compete at this level but you cannot blame the players that have gone there if they have been well rewarded.

Let us hope that the club can find someone who can keep them going, we do not want another situation occurring that happened at Godolphin.

Best of luck for the future

Have no knowledge of the reasons behind is, but it is a shame he has stepped down.

On the occasions he appeared on the CS Podcast, always thought he spoke well and was a welcome addition to the local football scene. Brought an "outsider's" perspective with him.

Outside of Reg Hambly at Camelford of course, what is the current average tenure of a Peninsula League manager? They do seem to come and go with an increasing frequency.

Might have put a good deal of effort in granted, but the budget this person had to put a side together, they should  have been top 4, not bottom 4.

Money always talks so attracting players to the “clay area” with the budget shouldn’t have been an issue.

Too many Managers these days walk away when the chips are down as it’s all to easy and always give the same excuse - Family or Work commitments.

Hope St Dennis re-group and go again.

6 hours ago, teflon123 said:

Might have put a good deal of effort in granted, but the budget this person had to put a side together, they should  have been top 4, not bottom 4.

Money always talks so attracting players to the “clay area” with the budget shouldn’t have been an issue.

Too many Managers these days walk away when the chips are down as it’s all to easy and always give the same excuse - Family or Work commitments.

Hope St Dennis re-group and go again.

After reading this comment I feel the need to comment . 

Having a budget doesn’t always mean you spend it for one and may I ask how you know what budget I had or hadn’t ??? 

if you look at the majority of the side I ended up with good enough or not they were mainly players that travelled down to the “clay area “ . This was simply because no players from around that area were signing for the club and that wasn’t through the lack of trying to keep a local structure to the side and add a few in . Which was my remit start of the campaign… 

I think your lack of knowledge of how easy it is to attract or not attract players down here Is quite blinkered really  . I learnt very fast that there’s a lot of clubs around a small area and not enough players to go around , esp at step 6 level and one’s that are good enough prefer to play in sides with friends at a lower level  instead of pushing on and testing themselves. There’s no right or wrong answer to that , it’s just how it is . 

Lastly on your comment about how easy it is to walk away when the chips are down etc . Please remember that for managers and coaches this beautiful game we all love is a hobby an interest and these massive budgets we all have well we dont get a slice of that pie . We do it for the love of the game . When it starts effecting your personal life and hindering that , then you need to consider your happiness and sanity . 

For me there was more to family issues etc to why I left . There was a committee meeting held the Thursday before the callington game and things were discussed that I wasn’t keen on going forward . I won’t divulge this information as it’s private and out of respect also for the club . Several situations throughout the season have also led me to the exit door none result based . I felt I lacked a lot of support there and if you ask people close within the club you will find most agree . 

my timing of my exit was again to give the club 2 weeks to find someone and deal with it before the next game 
On the 18th at home to Penzance, again trying not to drop it on them . 

Cornwall lacks volunteers , coaches , physios , managers I urge you and others that have such high opinions to go give it a try .

For the rest of this season they have a budget in place telfon 11 games left points to be won . Money talks as you say so should be easy to go in and put a side out hey . Actions speak louder sir go give it a blast 

good luck to the saints for the rest of the season and beyond . I don’t need to use the forum to thank the ones that supported me I’ve done that the correct way 

Si x 

17 hours ago, Brummie Simon said:

After reading this comment I feel the need to comment . 

Having a budget doesn’t always mean you spend it for one and may I ask how you know what budget I had or hadn’t ??? 

if you look at the majority of the side I ended up with good enough or not they were mainly players that travelled down to the “clay area “ . This was simply because no players from around that area were signing for the club and that wasn’t through the lack of trying to keep a local structure to the side and add a few in . Which was my remit start of the campaign… 

I think your lack of knowledge of how easy it is to attract or not attract players down here Is quite blinkered really  . I learnt very fast that there’s a lot of clubs around a small area and not enough players to go around , esp at step 6 level and one’s that are good enough prefer to play in sides with friends at a lower level  instead of pushing on and testing themselves. There’s no right or wrong answer to that , it’s just how it is . 

Lastly on your comment about how easy it is to walk away when the chips are down etc . Please remember that for managers and coaches this beautiful game we all love is a hobby an interest and these massive budgets we all have well we dont get a slice of that pie . We do it for the love of the game . When it starts effecting your personal life and hindering that , then you need to consider your happiness and sanity . 

For me there was more to family issues etc to why I left . There was a committee meeting held the Thursday before the callington game and things were discussed that I wasn’t keen on going forward . I won’t divulge this information as it’s private and out of respect also for the club . Several situations throughout the season have also led me to the exit door none result based . I felt I lacked a lot of support there and if you ask people close within the club you will find most agree . 

my timing of my exit was again to give the club 2 weeks to find someone and deal with it before the next game 
On the 18th at home to Penzance, again trying not to drop it on them . 

Cornwall lacks volunteers , coaches , physios , managers I urge you and others that have such high opinions to go give it a try .

For the rest of this season they have a budget in place telfon 11 games left points to be won . Money talks as you say so should be easy to go in and put a side out hey . Actions speak louder sir go give it a blast 

good luck to the saints for the rest of the season and beyond . I don’t need to use the forum to thank the ones that supported me I’ve done that the correct way 

Si x 

U don't need to rise to the bait of someone on a wind up Simon,uv done a great job in hard circumstances,no one blames u for how things have turned out n as for the budget it's no one's business unless they r funding it so ignore the trolls mate it seems they got nothing better to do but spend a night trying to get a rise out of decent people who r trying to enjoy their hobby which at the end of the day is just that a hobby.