Illogan RBL    5-0    Porthleven

Mousehole    1-2    Falmouth Town - played at Trevassick Park, Hayle FC

Mullion    0-0    St. Day

Penryn Athletic    1-6    Redruth United

Perranwell    2-2    St. Agnes

Wendron United    0-2    Hayle

West Division

Illogan RBL 5, Porthleven 0

Lovely afternoon for footy. Porthleven played the better football, Illogan bullied their way to a 5 - 0 half-time lead. Nice through-ball for 1 - 0 on 10 mins. In the 22nd minute the Port 'keeper was clattered and left lying on the ground, leaving an unguarded goal for no 2. A defensive failure led to the 3rd in the 40th. A Port lad was stretchered off and taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg - looked like a 50/50 event but Illogan were guilty of a number of heavy and late challenges throughout. Barry Haynes banged in a penalty for 4 - 0 (45 + 4) and another defensive blunder let in number 5 a minute later.

2nd half and Illogan's finishing was APPALLING. At least 5 nailed-on chances. Plus, their 'keeper made some brave saves.

I enjoyed a game a while ago between Illogan and someone else, I forget who, a team who were equal to Illogan's style and both teams were physically matched and I wrote at the time that it was like watching a game from decades ago. But this afternoon's encounter left me a bit disatisfied with what I'd seen. Still, mustn't grumble.

Two further points: I was critical of Porthleven's tactics, all this -footing around at the back. They conceded two goals because of this unattractive (to me) "possession football". Illogan exploited this with a hard pressing game which caught Port out more than just the two occasions that led to goals. Plus, Port at no time sought to exploit the bright low sun which was in Hayles' eyes in the 2nd half. Some dipping shots from distance would have formed part of my half-time instructions. A 0 - 0 2nd half was something of a triumph for Port (courtesy of the terrible finishing). They tried to play some lovely football and had several very skilful youngsters who at times made monkeys of some of the Illogan side.

Nice people around me, some nice chat, glorious smell of pasties being consumed by 3 young ladies to my left, brought all the way from Helston! No irritating children this time (thanks, Illogan Committee), nice hot choc at half-time. 

Hope the lad with the broken leg recovers okay. Mine didn't stop me playing: I hope he is back next season.

1 hour ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Gunnislake 2 - 0 Torpoint Ath

Not going to write a match report. But I would like to wish a speedy recovery to the Gunnislake goalkeeper who suffered an unfortunate injury late in the game with a broken and dislocated ankle. 
Good luck to Gunni for the rest of their season. 

Really bad injury for the Gunni keeper. Hoping for a safe recovery 💛

A well deserved victory for the hosts today.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - SATURDAY, 21ST JANUARY, 2023

Mousehole 1 Falmouth Town 2

First Cornish game I’ve been to watch, bloke in the local Spar said Mousehole were a good side to watch. I was confused why they were at Hayle not Mousehole ? (Where in Mousehole do they play). Spent 10 minutes watching the wrong game on the other pitch🤭

Mousehole a very young side thought it was a kids game at first , but they play lovely football that’s for sure. But I was soon told it was their second team not first ???

1st Half

Falmouth Town defended well and took their two chances . The first goal was a cross  which caught the younger keeper off his line .. The second came from the centre forward losing possession on the edge of his 18 yard box (lad missed a hatful of chances himself). Falmouth pounced on his error and floated a lovely cross in to be met by a good header.

2nd Half

All Mousehole for most of the 2nd half the young Mousehole keeper had little to do apart from spray the ball about (very impressive with his feet). 
lots of Mousehole pressure finally led to a goal with a well worked move leading to a headed goal. Number 6 in green was a standout as were both fullbacks. Falmouth Town keeper made two good stops. But time ran out and Mousehole couldn’t find an equaliser. Falmouth looked an ok side and had one or two decent players they were the better organised team  in my eyes. 

The second half was in my opinion ruined by the two coaching teams having a spat not the best example to be setting in front of young players! 

As we are new to Cornwall who else do you all recommend is a good watch on a Saturday ?

Mousehole Development’s home fixture yesterday was switched to Hayle (with thanks to Hayle for their generosity and Falmouth for agreeing to the switch) because of the late rescheduling of Mousehole’s first team’s home fixture against Welton Rovers - the first team were originally scheduled to be away yesterday. 

9 minutes ago, mattelot said:

Come down to Bickland Park next Saturday Dean.We have a home game against Ilfracombe in the Toolstation Western Premier league 3pm K.O.

There is no place this side of Bristol in non league football for atmosphere created by the home support that is F troop .

Thanks I’m checking the bus routes as we speak 👍