Cornwall Football Forum

Sticker V Falmouth 2nds

Fair comment SCFC but that shouldn't stop players from having ambition, look at what happened to Jamie Vardy who progressd from non league football to play for his country. 
Paul Mariner one of the nicest people you coud wish to meet off the pitch, was a real headache on it, he also comes to mind and many more like him.
Unfortunately too many players over time would rather be the proverbial big fish in a small pond than chance their arm commiting their perceived talent to professional scrutiny.
Although the money floating around the current game was never available in my day, a good living was available to those who made the grade.

23 minutes ago, We Two said:

Fair comment SCFC but that shouldn't stop players from having ambition, look at what happened to Jamie Vardy who progressd from non league football to play for his country. 
Paul Mariner one of the nicest people you coud wish to meet off the pitch, was a real headache on it, he also comes to mind and many more like him.
Unfortunately too many players over time would rather be the proverbial big fish in a small pond than chance their arm commiting their perceived talent to professional scrutiny.
Although the money floating around the current game was never available in my day, a good living was available to those who made the grade.

Unfortunately i feel that these days, there is a huge ego problem. Some people believe they are good enough to play a higher standard than what their actual ability allows. And on the other hand, some people believe they dont have what it takes to step up, when they really do.

Not one to pin things on management, but you see the same names each year moving clubs, for large sums of money when in reality, with a bit half scouting and looking outside the box, could save £££ and have a much better squad of players 

There have always been a good supply of egos SCFC both past and present, local and national, in fact past egos still appear to try to raise their profile in all walks of life particularly in sport.
How many ex footballer pundits appear on T.V. to tell everyone where teams and their players are going wrong.
My question to them would be " why are you not a football manager or team adviser if you are convinced that your opinions are that relevant".
Some brilliant footballers as Bobby Charlton will confirm, don't make managers who can instil professionalism and ability into a player.
Bobbys brother Jack said himself that he wasn't even close to Bobby in terms of footballing ability, but wow didn't he show Bobby how to manage a team.
Local footbal players and management is what matters to the cornish football fan, but a love of the game should never lose sight of what is possible over the horizon

There will never be any players progressing to higher leagues from this part of the world these academys which teams have hoping some youngsters from lower clubs is wishful thinking .

Players from lower leagues havnt got  a chance anymore because all the clubs are just signing foreign players half of them are crap they should limit how many foreign players each club is allowed to have i would go with 5 you look at the football news on the tv and all you see is English clubs signing Foreign players look at some of the crap Man Utd have signed over the years most of them are not fit enough to put the famous Red Shirt of Utd on the bunch they got now are  crap at least they played lots of youngsters in the 4-1 pre seaon friendly win  earlier vs Melborne Victory  Robbie Savages son looks some player 

A negative belief in yourself and your ability will not make you a success in any walk of life and especially in football.
An example of current day players who have developed from non league football to the premiership and then to play for England is Jordan Pickford, Tyrone Mings, Jamie Vardy, Ollie Watkins and Calvert Lewin all of whom have shown such a desire to succeed that they have ended up playing for their country.
No doubt there are other ex non league players who play in the premiership but as with some past cornish players they may take issue with your opinion 100%cornish.

21 hours ago, We Two said:

A negative belief in yourself and your ability will not make you a success in any walk of life and especially in football.
An example of current day players who have developed from non league football to the premiership and then to play for England is Jordan Pickford, Tyrone Mings, Jamie Vardy, Ollie Watkins and Calvert Lewin all of whom have shown such a desire to succeed that they have ended up playing for their country.
No doubt there are other ex non league players who play in the premiership but as with some past cornish players they may take issue with your opinion 100%cornish.

Good point except Calvert Lewin started at Sheff utd and also played for England u20's.... Only ever short loan spells at lower level... Like a lot of players... But do agree with your point

How many players in recent years have gone from non league to higher leagues i cant think of any and as for players from Cornwall going to league clubs that doesnt seem to happen and im sure some players are good enough for a league club Jack Evans is 1 i think could make the step up . In the past i can name 3 Cornish Goalies that went on to play for league clubs ,Nigel Martyn , Dave Philp , Christian Walton ,and players Newquays own Chris Morris must rank pretty high up cant think of any of recent years and im not talking of years ago if thats the case lets go for Tony Kellow ,Mike Trebilcock . I dont think the scouts are that good down here even lower league clubs are signing foreign players from god knows what Country 

On 16/07/2022 at 19:35, We Two said:

Would recommend going back through the CS Podcasts and listening to the Nigel Martyn and Kevin Miller interviews.  Yes, two supremely talented footballers, but it gives an insight into the hard work, sacrifice and just plain old "go for it" attitude needed to make it in the pro game. Sometimes think it is  easy for very gifted players in the South West to fall back on geography as a reason  why they didn't get spotted or make it Both Martyn and Miller got off their arses,and did something about it.

There has never been better opportunities for youngsters to make it in the pro game from Cornwall than now.  

There is an Argyle elite school, Saints South West from Southampton, Chelsea Academy which gives youngsters fantastic coaching as well as coaches watching them giving them opportunity to be spotted. 

Ultimately it comes at a price foir parents though, having to ferry kids around the south west of the country when fuel prices are what they means a big commitment. 

The standard of kids football has never been higher from what I have seen. 

1 hour ago, St Darren said:

There has never been better opportunities for youngsters to make it in the pro game from Cornwall than now.  

There is an Argyle elite school, Saints South West from Southampton, Chelsea Academy which gives youngsters fantastic coaching as well as coaches watching them giving them opportunity to be spotted. 

Ultimately it comes at a price foir parents though, having to ferry kids around the south west of the country when fuel prices are what they means a big commitment. 

The standard of kids football has never been higher from what I have seen. 

More and more young players from Devon and Cornwall are also going down the route of soccer scholarships at colleges in the USA. A high quality of football playing alongside team mates from all around the world, a very professional training environment in world class facilities and the chance to get a good university degree (with the necessary funding provided and costs covered). At the end of it, if you have impressed, there is chance to enter the draft and get selected by an MLS side.

Jamil Roberts, ex Ivybridge College and Plymouth Argyle, was one that followed this route through a US college  and got a pro contract with Sporting Kansas via being drafted.

10 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

10 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

How many players in recent years have gone from non league to higher leagues i cant think of any

Don't believe that because you don't hear about it that it doesn't happen 100%, it's not everyone that wants to publicise their career in case it's not considered by some as successful.
Negative comments about an individual who has aspirations to perform at a higher level in life can provide either a positive reaction of " I'll show em " or on the other hand be the destructive comment that ends a dream.
Fortunately our grandson took the " i'll show em " approach and won a scolarship to Texas, his friend who in our opinion had the potential of a footballing career decided to try his hand in junior football where sadly he decided too much was expected of him and he totally gave up his playing career.
The lad is a sad loss to football and is an example of why we hold commitment to your dreams,however seemingly unobtainable, to be such an important asset in life.
Negative opinions can destroy a person as much as a positive one can help build a career.

I'm going to have a look at teams in different age groups later. 

I bet there are a lot more teams below the age of 12 than there are above? I maybe wrong. But I reckon there are lots of kids that do it if playing football once they get to secondary school and realise that they aren't as good as others.  Whilst at the same time becoming more conscious about peers perception of them and their ability. 

On 16/07/2022 at 19:35, We Two said:

Michail Antonio is another one for the list. From Tooting & Mitcham, via Reading, to West Ham.

How could i forget about the Great Cornish keeper Kevin Miller who did really well at Watford ,Southampton and Palace ,i still cant see many players making it into the top league  like Ian Wright and Jamie Vardy who went on to be great players .I still think they should put a cap on the foreign players each team is allowed to have 

38 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

How could i forget about the Great Cornish keeper Kevin Miller who did really well at Watford ,Southampton and Palace ,i still cant see many players making it into the top league  like Ian Wright and Jamie Vardy who went on to be great players .I still think they should put a cap on the foreign players each team is allowed to have 

I am of the opinion that, just like Jamie Vardy and Ian Wright, if you are good enough, work hard hard enough and are willing to sacrifice enough, you'll make it. Given how budgets are stretched in the Football League, they are eager to turn up potential nuggets from anywhere they can find them. 

Foreign players filling up squads is true in the Premier and, to a lesser extent, the Championship. But a quick look at Exeter City's current squad shows that only 2 out of their 21 players are non British or Irish, while it is only 2 out of 25 at Argyle.