Cornwall Football Forum

Matt’s the new man at Helston!

Helston Athletic have just announced via Twitter that they “are pleased to announce the appointment of Matt Cusack as our new first team manager. Steve Massey will continue in his role as the Club’s  Director of Football.

Many thanks to Steve for the past five seasons, and a big welcome and best of luck to Matt for the 22/23 season!”

You have to think that a game changer for helston. Matts a great coach  probably  one of the best in the south west. He will also been promised a budget to bring in the players he wants and I assume Massey will not interfere at all and  generally help in bringing in the players he needs 

One definition I’ve found for Director of Football:-

“Their responsibilities can vary from club to club, with some being heavily involved in all aspects of the business, including the hiring and firing of managers, scouting, recruitment of players, long-term strategy and the improvement of facilities.”

It’ll be interesting to see how it works at Helston and no doubt crucial if success is to follow.

Mr Massey loves his Football, you can witness that from all the games he attends that don't even involve Helston. He gets plenty of stick from certain quarters but he's worked wonders at that club. It's a big decision to step aside particularly after nurturing the route to the Western League. I'm sure he'll be a great custodian of the Director of Football role and be fully supportive of Matt Cusack.

Matt is a top up and coming coach that Parkway may sadly miss. It's a positive appointment for Helston that will provide fresh optimism for the coming season.

I wish both Steve and Matt the very best in their new positions.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Helston Athletic have just announced via Twitter that they “are pleased to announce the appointment of Matt Cusack as our new first team manager. Steve Massey will continue in his role as the Club’s  Director of Football.

Many thanks to Steve for the past five seasons, and a big welcome and best of luck to Matt for the 22/23 season!”

Superb appointment for Helston, hopefully he will be allowed to get on with the job free from interference.  No idea of the circumstances behind him departing from Parkway, but i would imagine that he was never going to stay as a number 2 for long.

Guessing that this means Leigh Robinson is out. Wonder if Matt Godfree and Stuart Dudley will make up his backroom staff? Possibly also with recently departed Saltash physio Rich Hayden.

34 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Superb appointment for Helston, hopefully he will be allowed to get on with the job free from interference.  No idea of the circumstances behind him departing from Parkway, but i would imagine that he was never going to stay as a number 2 for long.

Guessing that this means Leigh Robinson is out. Wonder if Matt Godfree and Stuart Dudley will make up his backroom staff? Possibly also with recently departed Saltash physio Rich Hayden.

I think he was pushed out as opposed to leaving himself.  Lee Hobbs always wanted Karl Curtis back. Mistake if you ask me I d say Matt is miles better then Karl. 

1 minute ago, Yourhavingalaugh said:

Why release a couple players before appointing a new manager ? it doesn’t make sense to me 🤔

That is strange. I wonder if Matt would have kept stu bowker 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

I think he was pushed out as opposed to leaving himself.  Lee Hobbs always wanted Karl Curtis back. Mistake if you ask me I d say Matt is miles better then Karl. 

That is strange. I wonder if Matt would have kept stu bowker 

Massey probably approached making Cusack manager in the same way he seems to sign players. Opportunity  came up, and went for it. Doubt this was even in his mind a few weeks ago.