Cornwall Football Forum

Most open SWPL Season in Years?

There appears to be a received wisdom that the SWPL season, with the departures to the Western League, will be the most open in years. But will it?

Listening to Rappo & Deacs CS Podcast got me thinking. Their top, middle and bottom 6 were populated by the same clubs in each section.  And I'd agree with both too.

Is anyone going outside of St Blazey, Bodmin or Falmouth for the title? Thought not! Best of the rest? Camelford, Wadebridge, Newquay... then what?

Bottom sides? The likes of St Dennis, the G, Lanson et al.

I love the SWPL, but think that 2021-22 looking fairly predictable. Lets hope someone is a surprise package like the Camels were last season.

Any better in the East? Not so sure, but expecting Brixham & Torpoint to be the lead challengers.

Compare with the WL where predicting the title winner is a difficult ask with many, many, likely contenders.

3 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

There appears to be a received wisdom that the SWPL season, with the departures to the Western League, will be the most open in years. But will it?

Listening to Rappo & Deacs CS Podcast got me thinking. Their top, middle and bottom 6 were populated by the same clubs in each section.  And I'd agree with both too.

Is anyone going outside of St Blazey, Bodmin or Falmouth for the title? Thought not! Best of the rest? Camelford, Wadebridge, Newquay... then what?

Bottom sides? The likes of St Dennis, the G, Lanson et al.

I love the SWPL, but think that 2021-22 looking fairly predictable. Lets hope someone is a surprise package like the Camels were last season.

Any better in the East? Not so sure, but expecting Brixham & Torpoint to be the lead challengers.

Compare with the WL where predicting the title winner is a difficult ask with many, many, likely contenders.

BSofTT - I don’t think anyone would bet against the three you mentioned - but I don’t think it is that clear. The likes of Camelford, Liskeard, Dobwalls, St Austell, Wadebridge and Newquay and others can all IMO beat them on their day - but will probably take point off each other as well which will make it difficult for any of them being top 3. The difference for me is that all teams I mentioned are on the ‘up’ (as are Falmouth) and play nice football - I know it’s about points but I like watching good football as well. I am favouring a Falmouth win with one of Bodmin and St Blazey in 2/3 with an ‘outsider’ nipping third. 

Either way am looking forward to it and as always hopeful of a Camels win lol

8 minutes ago, tamar.man said:

dark horses are callington town,  near enough new team, lot of money being invested it seems,opening games against  bodmin and falmouth will be interesting !

Forgot to mention them, but agree - fall into my category of a team that will take points of top contenders

21 minutes ago, tamar.man said:

dark horses are callington town,  near enough new team, lot of money being invested it seems,opening games against  bodmin and falmouth will be interesting !

Regarding Callington Town, money invested, or just spent?

Yes, it will be a very open league, but while a team such as Newquay or Wadebridge could emerge as contenders, do they have the resources to sustain a challenge? If key players are missing through injury, suspension or non availability, can they replace them with like for like quality. The continual problem for many clubs is getting their best eleven out every match. The likes of Bodmin, Falmouth and Blazey have deeper squads and the ability to bring players in.

35 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

BSofTT - I don’t think anyone would bet against the three you mentioned - but I don’t think it is that clear. The likes of Camelford, Liskeard, Dobwalls, St Austell, Wadebridge and Newquay and others can all IMO beat them on their day - but will probably take point off each other as well which will make it difficult for any of them being top 3. The difference for me is that all teams I mentioned are on the ‘up’ (as are Falmouth) and play nice football - I know it’s about points but I like watching good football as well. I am favouring a Falmouth win with one of Bodmin and St Blazey in 2/3 with an ‘outsider’ nipping third. 

Either way am looking forward to it and as always hopeful of a Camels win lol

Saltash v Camels best SWPL game I saw last season. Visitors football was a delight. Bridgers looked good in PSF v Helston I saw.

All the teams you mention have ability to surprise with starting XIs,but squads maybe not deep enough for title challenge.

39 minutes ago, tamar.man said:

Cally  had a few out but looked impressive  in PSF against a strong Tiverton side. They will, I'm sure, be the most *improved* team this season. After recent  seasons of struggle good luck to them.

People on here mention Callington being a new team they are just St Blazey but in different shirts they will do ok until Christmas comes then we will see what they get up to lot of good teams but Blazeys or is that Phils old boys reunion but they are all cracking players but there coud be a few sending offs there with Giles and Cooper in there team 2 combetitive players you would want in your team