Cornwall Football Forum

Ref shortage hitting hard?

This situation is only going to get worse. There are far more refs giving up rather than taking up the whistle.(alot of these because they are fed up with constant abuse they recieve every week for doing something they enjoy)People will only realise what their actions of abuse are doing to the game when they dont have one to play in !!!!

Here in Norfolk all the leagues have a rule that in the event of no referee being appointed or one not turning up , the home club must provide someone or both teams must come to an arrangement . This may sound a strange idea but it has worked for many seasons with few problems .Having said that prior to this season we had very little problem with referees . This season contrary to advice from all quarters the county FA decided that they would appoint all referees throughout the county .Prior to this referees were appointed by area referees apointment secretaries who worked with their local leagues .This system worked well for 50 odd years so it made sense to change it !!!!!!!!!!

This season we now have a situation where referees are appointed to games 60 + miles away , this has led to their match fees being up to £60 per game .This has hit clubs hard financially as its more than their match income .

Coupled with the low punishments given out by the FA for assaults on referees and players eg. 8 game ban for head butt on opposing player , 8 game bans for assaulting referees after the game , many referees have given up the game .As a result we've gone from a surplus overnight to many primary and lower junior level games having no referee throught the county , this will undoubtly lead to more clubs folding .

Guest smashing pumpkin

it would be sad to see some of the top local refs we see on a saturday leave the game the likes of nigel jewel, nigel nicholls, phil cuthbert, colon bennets, stephan griffin, chris denglar, to name a few.

but there are some refs { i wont name} who id rather not play on the weekend if they turned up because some make some awful desicions that ruin the game.

some people will proberly moan at that but its my opinion.

if there was a free course being offerd id do it and im sure lots others would aswell

Guest BenTheYeti

it would be sad to see some of the top local refs we see on a saturday leave the game the likes of nigel jewel, nigel nicholls, phil cuthbert, colon bennets, stephan griffin, chris denglar, to name a few.

but there are some refs { i wont name} who id rather not play on the weekend if they turned up because some make some awful desicions that ruin the game.

some people will proberly moan at that but its my opinion.

if there was a free course being offerd id do it and im sure lots others would aswell

When I was a bit younger I wanted to be a referee, 12 years of playing Junior Football has put me off somewhat!

But I agree, if there was a free course being offered, I'd certainly be interested in it.. I think it would be an eye opener for some too..

The situation looks quite bleak this weekend. I along with all the other Trelawny league secretaries recieved a letter from the ref appointments officer apologising for the situation and explaining that their will be a shortage in some league games due to his limited resourses being directed towards the cup games which had been requested by the league to take preference over some league fixtures.

Personally I think the ref appointments officer has been a positive thing for the county and games have gone ahead with official ref's much more then 3/4 years ago where it was common for sides to end up using former referees associated with their respective clubs but not on the official list.

Lets not use this forum thread to berate referees they are an important requirement for people to be able to enjoy their sport on a saturday afternoon and without them we really are up the brown and smelly creek without a paddle

Guest smashing pumpkin

The situation looks quite bleak this weekend. I along with all the other Trelawny league secretaries recieved a letter from the ref appointments officer apologising for the situation and explaining that their will be a shortage in some league games due to his limited resourses being directed towards the cup games which had been requested by the league to take preference over some league fixtures.

Personally I think the ref appointments officer has been a positive thing for the county and games have gone ahead with official ref's much more then 3/4 years ago where it was common for sides to end up using former referees associated with their respective clubs but not on the official list.

Lets not use this forum thread to berate referees they are an important requirement for people to be able to enjoy their sport on a saturday afternoon and without them we really are up the brown and smelly creek without a paddle

from the game i was in a couple of weeks ago i did not enjoy my afternoon infact i was pi55ed off for about 3 and a half days after.

Premier Sixes vs Foxhole - We have lost our ref and don't have a replacement yet for this Saturday

Same here for Grampound v Polperro

Grampound v Polperro now have a ref on Saturday.

Tim Topham has been appointed and he is a top ref.

Thank you Mr Murphy.

Pumpkin and Yeti, and anyone else for that matter

why does it have to be free for you to do a course.??????

If you really wanted to do the ref's course money wouldn't be an issue, just sounds like an excuse to me.

Besides which, 6 qualifing games x minimum match fee more than covers the cost of the course.

Time to get your backsides into gear and stop blowing hot air.

Guest BenTheYeti

If you really wanted to do the ref's course money wouldn't be an issue, just sounds like an excuse to me.

Besides which, 6 qualifing games x minimum match fee more than covers the cost of the course.

Unfortunately, I am not blessed with masses of expendable time or cash.. as we all know, living in St Ives ain't cheap! And like I said, after years of witnessing the abuse Ref's get at this level, if I wanted to pay to do something you know is likely to leave you with a headache on a Saturday night.. I'd go out on the drink!

I have huge respect for every referee that trudges out there on a Saturday afternoon, and even if in my eyes they've had a bad game, I always shake their hand and say thank you, because their the ones who make the games go ahead

So whats different now to 10 years ago? Refs have always had abuse, unless the rules change then they will continue to get abuse. So why now the shortage of refs? Too many teams? Not enough cash? no recruitment ?

might just be economics - refs have full time jobs i would imagine and some cannot afford to not work on a saturday. More and more firms want people to work on saturdays and the same goes for many players. might also have something to do with very early kick offs

Guest smashing pumpkin

I wouldnt pay for it because im not bothered if i did it or not, BUT if there was a free course going id do it and ref a match. not that i need a course as i reckon id do a good job with out course at least id keep up with play and you wouldnt here me moaning if some1 threatend and abused me like most people.

So whats different now to 10 years ago? Refs have always had abuse, unless the rules change then they will continue to get abuse. So why now the shortage of refs? Too many teams? Not enough cash? no recruitment ?

might just be economics - refs have full time jobs i would imagine and some cannot afford to not work on a saturday. More and more firms want people to work on saturdays and the same goes for many players. might also have something to do with very early kick offs

I work every Saturday, so Early kick offs are definately a problem for me. I do get an occasional early finish which enables me to pick a game. So le boss you may have stumbled across one of footballs problems.