Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Fans Cheer For?

canadaguy

Hi,

I am new to the boards and in Canada. My family came from Cornwall over 40 years ago.

As a huge BPL fan I am looking for a team to cheer for and wondered who the people in Cornwall backed. I know Turoro City (spelling?) is the local team but is Sunderland the team they back up?

I am sure this is a crazy thread to start but hey, I am a crazy Canadian soccer fan!

Thanks!

Cornwall does not have one single team, every town or village is supported by the locals. Truro are currently the highest ranked Cornish side but may well be out of business by May 2013. If you can find out which town or village your family came from, it would help.

You will also find that a lot of Cornish folk support Plymouth Argyle who play in the English League 2, this is due to them being the closest club in a National league.

Finally, we do not generally refer to the game as soccer, it is called football here, we prefer it that way.

In the People's Republic of St Just, based on a political wish for separatism from Penznce and, incidentally, England, the Green Tinners are the team to support. Yestrday they acieved asuperb 1-0 away win at RNAS Culdrose in front of a record crowd. Chelsea are the nearest regular premiership to the Cornish border, being in es london. In practice, Swansea,Reading and Southampton are closer, but it's unlikely that any will be more than temporary visitors to the Premiership.

Internationally, some of us support our Celtc cousins in Wales rther than folowing the Butcher's Apron flag of our English occupiers.

In the People's Republic of St Just, based on a political wish for separatism from Penznce and, incidentally, England, the Green Tinners are the team to support. Yestrday they acieved asuperb 1-0 away win at RNAS Culdrose in front of a record crowd. Chelsea are the nearest regular premiership to the Cornish border, being in es london. In practice, Swansea,Reading and Southampton are closer, but it's unlikely that any will be more than temporary visitors to the Premiership.

Internationally, some of us support our Celtc cousins in Wales rther than folowing the Butcher's Apron flag of our English occupiers.

Engerland, Engerland, Engerland - c'mon England. No Englishman would evr supprt Wales !!!! or any of owr other celtic cersins.

you got me spelling now - help !!!!!!

Wow...... No wonder you walk lop sided.... That CHIP on your shoulder must weigh a tonne......

• 3 weeks later...

Phew, a racist stereotype. Can you spell "pseudonym" ?

Nah, I have all the usual local physical and social characteristics: wider than I am tall; head like an upside-down garden gnome; different coloured eyes, the third one in the middle of my forehead; close relationships with all my sisters; excessive love for my many animals; indentations from sleeping on my wallet; and pictures of sheep and goats all over the house.

Every morning I yodel "I've got a brand new combine harvester" in the shower. I'm in love with a Frisian cow called Denzil from the field behind the Farm End goa at Lafrowda Park. :yahoo:

Phew, a racist stereotype. Can you spell "pseudonym" ?

Nah, I have all the usual local physical and social characteristics: wider than I am tall; head like an upside-down garden gnome; different coloured eyes, the third one in the middle of my forehead; close relationships with all my sisters; excessive love for my many animals; indentations from sleeping on my wallet; and pictures of sheep and goats all over the house.

Every morning I yodel "I've got a brand new combine harvester" in the shower. I'm in love with a Frisian cow called Denzil from the field behind the Farm End goa at Lafrowda Park. :yahoo:

Well that one put St Just back a few years isaac. Thats the problem when you are the feudal lord, too much time on your hands LOL.

Cornwall does not have one single team, every town or village is supported by the locals. Truro are currently the highest ranked Cornish side but may well be out of business by May 2013. If you can find out which town or village your family came from, it would help.

You will also find that a lot of Cornish folk support Plymouth Argyle who play in the English League 2, this is due to them being the closest club in a National league.

Finally, we do not generally refer to the game as soccer, it is called football here, we prefer it that way.

:thumbsup: I have reposted what Nemisis wrote, it is the most helpful. :thumbsup:

Sorry you were subjected to the insane ramblings of Isaac. :yahoo: help :yahoo:

Hoppit, Issac has a large beard and has donned a funny flag not hat at St.Just a few times over the years which has cost a few Cornish strikers some goals!!!!! Apart from that he's a very nice chap!!! Hope you're well Rod, up the Tinners. :-)

Easy Mark, isaac has put a lot of effort into portraying himself as a complete cad, don't go ruining it for him.

Cheers, Rappo......never too late to make your debut for the Tinners,,,we need another striker while Steds is injured ! You will be able to confrm that I have never flagged you unjustly !

Older, my politics hardly fit with the notion that I am a feudal lord: I advocate the collectivisation of all land. If only you could appreciate irony, once defined as "what stupid people miss", you might interpet my post not as mocking St Just, but mockng those who mock St Just.

"Honi soit qui mal y pense" exemplifies the same kind of linguistic trope. If you would like an explanation of the ambiguity of this mediaeval French I will be delighted to provide it.

An aspiring feudal lord turned up at People's Republic FC a while back and tried to oust me: he's now retired from public life and doesn't get out of Tregeseal much. Nightmares, shaking, all that, poor chap. I expect he was Mountaineer's St Just interlocutor. Bound to have lots in common. If hating me gives sad, semi-detached :) people something to occupy their twilight hours, they're welcome to their mumblings. :c:

Cheers, Rappo......never too late to make your debut for the Tinners,,,we need another striker while Steds is injured ! You will be able to confrm that I have never flagged you unjustly !

Older, my politics hardly fit with the notion that I am a feudal lord: I advocate the collectivisation of all land. If only you could appreciate irony, once defined as "what stupid people miss", you might interpet my post not as mocking St Just, but mockng those who mock St Just.

"Honi soit qui mal y pense" exemplifies the same kind of linguistic trope. If you would like an explanation of the ambiguity of this mediaeval French I will be delighted to provide it.

An aspiring feudal lord turned up at People's Republic FC a while back and tried to oust me: he's now retired from public life and doesn't get out of Tregeseal much. Nightmares, shaking, all that, poor chap. I expect he was Mountaineer's St Just interlocutor. Bound to have lots in common. If hating me gives sad, semi-detached :) people something to occupy their twilight hours, they're welcome to their mumblings. :c:

My apologies isaac for missing the point of your witterings, I think!!!!! Your post was certainly ambiguous, just read it the way it was written - nice attempt at a get out though.

Do I want an explanation of mediaeval French??? Nah!!! I'll leave that to the one or two, possibly three people who would be remotely interested in it, a smaller plane than I thought.

Well, let's face it, the rest of Cornwall is full of places trying to over-compensate to hide their envy at not being St Just or Newquay. We've got all the civilian airports worth having; the greatest football history; the record number of Combination League matches; beautiful sea views; bracing and healthy weather; holy relics nearby; real surf; decent golf courses;the fastest broadband in the world; and an unparalleled international reputation as a venue for adult entertainment of several eccentric kinds.

Oh; and also almost all the finest philosophers and subbuteo players. :yahoo:

And you've also got a Sea Life Centre. I get on well with sharks, usually. :)

Your wrong with that one isaac. I don't think you will find anyone who is envious of either place, certainly not me or my missoos.

Have not been for a day out in Newquay for well over fifteen years or more. St just is a place to go to play football, can't think of any other reason.

I do enjoy my times at St Just when I have to go there, other than that - pass. Or have I missed your irony again???

New York. London, Paris, Rome, Newquay/St just - nope - definately no ring to that I'm afraid.

Well i used to play badminton vs St Just in the little hall on the left going in , very annoying little bars overhead which were a let !! so many a long night i had down there ! also played cricket which i think had a pig farm nearby !!! but overall very Cornish :c: But Newquay is not one of favorite places as too many imports !!! But i did enoy my footy days away at Mount Wise .. good club . as is St Just .

Well, let's face it, the rest of Cornwall is full of places trying to over-compensate to hide their envy at not being St Just or Newquay. We've got all the civilian airports worth having; the greatest football history; the record number of Combination League matches; beautiful sea views; bracing and healthy weather; holy relics nearby; real surf; decent golf courses;the fastest broadband in the world; and an unparalleled international reputation as a venue for adult entertainment of several eccentric kinds.

I heard the seagulls fly upside down at St Just because there's nothing worth crapping on. :D

I heard the seagulls fly upside down at St Just because there's nothing worth crapping on. :D

Thats right, he's left ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only joking isaac.

Typical Perranwell badminton or fooball, Kempy, the ball always up in the air getting snow on it, being whacked so high over the net it gets lost in the trees......whole teams about 7 feet tall with one leg longer than the other...... :)

Down St Just the wind is too strong for trees, see, and the football is lovely passing stuff on the beautiful Lafrowda surface, that's why the club has a history of midfield artistry..... :yahoo:

Poor Older's missoos, he's too mean even to buy her a night out in Newquay. Shame. :ninja:

No wonder she wants a nice St Just boy instead.

Wot no seagulls ! Drat ! When Ivan has torn Denzil away from me for the winter, I need something else to keep me warm ! Besides, we need bits of seagull to go in our pasties. That's what I call responsible recycling. :c: