Cornwall Football Forum

Back to the Basics as success has to be fans through the turnstiles

Congratulations to all for a well-attended and informative meeting tonight at Treyew Road.

The Open Meeting coordinated by Will Jones and Tom Osborne from the recently formed Truro Fans Trust was an opportunity to meet the saviours of Truro City - Philip Perryman (above left) of A2B Taxis and Peter Masters (above second from left) and son Jason Masters (also in attendance) of the L2 Nightclub in Truro.

Also on the top table in the photo from left to right are Tom, Will and Graham Bond (who has been helping the Trust on the financial side).

After accepting a large round of applause from everyone present as a sign of the fans appreciation for the bond money being paid on Friday, it was down to business and to hear from the men in question.

The message was clear from them! “It’s back to the basics with the sheer fact that somehow the club has to attract and entice more people through the gates. The time has come to return to concentrating on the football.”

The target to aim for by Peter Masters is attendances in the region of 800, and quickly, but I liked the way he almost demanded everyone now goes away and carries out their duty as a fan of Truro City while giving an air of confidence and enthusiasm. He suggested this figure was no “pie in the sky”.

While the club continues to trade in Administration, Masters and Berryman have agreed to pay the staff and players their wages on a weekly basis. In return the trading expenses will be funded through the Administration from the likes of gate receipts, bar takings and any other income taken on the day.

Impressive and reassuring, but I would suggest shrewd businessmen as well as they managed to all but get a commitment from the St Austell Brewery representatives there and then that beer will be available on draught come Saturday!

Peter Masters agreed that things don’t look too good with first impressions disappointing and as evidence :”The state of the place! The ground surroundings! The Car Park! And as for the sign you see as you come into the ground – handwritten details of the forthcoming match!” Enough was said.

“We are where we are” and with suggesting they can’t do much about the past, the priority is now “to get people talking about the football.”

For the moment, the troops are certainly rallied as the message kept coming through that the fans are paramount to the club’s immediate success and future.

“We’ll sort out the politics and the club behind the scene, and enjoy the challenge.” And you know, on tonight’s performance there’s no reason that they won’t!

yes it will be hard going but i like the sound off things going back 2 playing in red and black kit

Lots of good things said overall, including the club going out to the people and becoming part of the community. The red and black brought good response too, but that's for next season. The all important thing is though without lost supporters returning, without the crowds reaching the 800 mark, there won't be a "next season"!

yes it will be hard going but i like the sound off things going back 2 playing in red and black kit

red & black bring it on! however the past still reared it's head at the back of the room, I was near a pillock who had obviously been sent along by Webby to try and spoil the party, the heartening thing was Pete Masters looks as though he relishes the opportunity to fight the individuals responsible for causing this mess (there were constant reminders about Heaney and Webb's grubby little deals from the audience). The supporters in the room certainly seemed galvanised by the positive attitude from the top table.

Everyone came on here saying that Kevin Heaney was the reason why they had no respect for Truro City football club, now he's gone there are no excuses everyone should now start to support the highest level of football in Cornwall.

Give the youngsters somewhere to go if they are capable of playing higher than penninsula!!!!!!!

Everyone came on here saying that Kevin Heaney was the reason why they had no respect for Truro City football club, now he's gone there are no excuses everyone should now start to support the highest level of football in Cornwall.

Give the youngsters somewhere to go if they are capable of playing higher than penninsula!!!!!!!

there are some quality youngsters out there to, it would be great for them, with the club on the doorstep to play at that higher level, and even higher one day maybe.

See you there then ????

Theolder, I have watched Truro on quite a few occasions although I don,t really have much time now, but if I was free I would be there to watch. I even made the trip to watch them win the FA vase!!!!

Well it was just £10 to watch in the new wembley ..... i also was there . :c:

A glimmer of hope for Truro, then. There is still the spectre of Heaney and his (probable?) connection with JoJo. That will be THE major obstacle for Messrs Masters and Perryman to face. Getting the club back to what it was will take time. Many of the people who ran things pre-Heaney will have long since found other ways to occupy their Saturdays. Plus, the hopes of 700+ gates as an average are pure wishful thinking. That sounds harsh but it would take a few seasons to achieve that. Regulars at Peninsula clubs aren't going to switch alliegances, especially in Cornwall. Any additional spectators will have to be coaxed out of the woodwork by results - hard to envisage this season - and a word-of-mouth account of just how much better it is to attend Truro than any other club around, which means many things, such as a welcoming clubhouse (common to many clubs), good food, perhaps, some sort of pre-match entertainment (which would need a much better PA system than they've got now), the knowledge that families with young children can attend games without having to hear Neanderthal chants from the home fans, and so on.

There must be thousands of people in Cornwall who like their football but can't be bothered to watch step 6 or 7 clubs because they just aren't good enough to watch. Sky TV has a lot to answer for! These are the people that need to be recruited - somehow. Let's face it, there are many who go to Argyle because they can't be bothered with Peninsula football. Well, Conference South isn't Football League 2 but it isn't far off! Some potential Argyle spectators might be persuaded across if only for reasons of travel and entry costs.

This season, though, 7-800 is unlikely - unless by the last few games Truro have a fighting chance of escaping relegation. Then people might show an interest.

But at least Heaney isn't anything to do with running the club any more. Like a marriage based on a flimsy romance with a dodgy partner, it was nice while it lasted until the dodgy partner's true colours were revealed. And those colours weren't red and black!

At Staines on Tuesday there were a group of Argyle exiles who came to support Truro,

before the game they bought half a dozen 50/50 tickets and gave them to me saying

"If they win put it into your clubs survival fund",

During Truro's rise we have met many lovely people, we have witnessed how other clubs

survive with the help of the community, we have joined a non league family that has a

heart and that has shown through in recent times, they deserve a big THANK YOU.

I shall be travelling down to Truro for the game, sameday return, I hope for a big crowd.

Reality Check Needed.

Too many short and selective memories at Truro. For years, Heaney was the man who could do no wrong, no amount of arguments that he would turn the club upside down in his attempt to land grab would be believed. Those including myself, who warned fans of the future problems were slated, slammed and abused by all and sundry. The £50k bond payers are not Saviours of the club, that was Heaney if you recall. Now it seems that everyone knew all along that he was a bad 'un !

Perhaps when the comp to find a nickname for the club was run by Heaney and the 10 year old came up with White Tigers, someone should have seen the hidden meaning, he chose it for the extinction connection, he was clearly taking the pi$$. Perhaps the fans should have been called the 3 wise monkeys.

Even when he ripped off local businesses, there were some including the reviled Mountaineer, who cliamed that was just business and that the poor sods who lost out should suffer the losses. Many were blind to the initial problems, the failure of the local press to knock Heaney saw to that, or was it that they were bribed by adverts for games in return for no bad publicity.

Unfortunately, there is now nothing for anyone to buy, hence the Administrator being unable to find a buyer, it is probable that the club still owe for the shirts on the players backs. Crowds of 700-800 are just not possible unless the club are in the top 4 every week, in reality that is not going to happen with the squad who remain. Perhaps a voluntary relegation to Southern S&W is the best option for next season.

The main problem the club have is the ground, no one can understand how Heaney can sell the ground one week for £2.4m and be bankrupt the next. He remains the dodgiest businessman the County has ever known, he still has his hands firmly on the land he wanted when he gave up his Spurs Season Ticket. With his ilk in charge at Westminster, there is no political appetite for anyone to find out where the money has gone, how the deals were done etc, it is how business in the UK is done. We have the most nasty, vile cruel and downright criminal bunch running politics and business in this country, someone please have a kindly copper take a look, just to annoy him.

Heaney was just a wanabee player who couldn't run a subutteo side. However, he and his accountants knew which laws they could get around. City, you were played off the park, literally !

Good luck in finding a home you can call your own, I think that 99% of Cornish football folk agree, it is hoped that it is sooner rather than too late.

http://www.northwichguardian.co.uk/vics/news/10005260.Vics_supporters_to_vote_on_launching_new_club/

Time for the football to do the talking now on the pitch, I don't know enough about the politics side of the club, but I do know they've got one committed remaining squad there and manager, get the results and get the crowd, a couple weeks ago from following on the forum I didn't think Cornwall would have a conference club, but they've survived it for now, so good luck to everyone down at truro

Nemesis, are you feeling a little agrieved that Truro FC got the backing to survive and Mr Ash + Watkins won,t be coming to Newquay afterall? Could your club really afford them or would you end up similar to Truro's position?

It was nice that Newquay were able to accomodate 2 or 3 quality players whilst Truro were unable to play, not one Newquay supporter thought the signings were long term. As for affordability, Mr Hooper managed to fit them in within our budget, says a lot that the players wanted to play and for less than most would have ever imagined.

My opinions on Truro City are well known, no grudge against the original fans, little respect for the glory hunters who defended Heaney over the years and utter contempt for the man himself. Thankfully, Newquay will never be in the position that Truro found themselves in, the lease on Mount Wise runs until 2073 and we are not in debt. The club have stated they will never spend more than they earn, simple economics that ensures the club will remain as one of Cornish footballs biggest clubs.

Nemesis, are you feeling a little agrieved that Truro FC got the backing to survive and Mr Ash + Watkins won,t be coming to Newquay afterall? Could your club really afford them or would you end up similar to Truro's position?

It was nice that Newquay were able to accomodate 2 or 3 quality players whilst Truro were unable to play, not one Newquay supporter thought the signings were long term. As for affordability, Mr Hooper managed to fit them in within our budget, says a lot that the players wanted to play and for less than most would have ever imagined.

My opinions on Truro City are well known, no grudge against the original fans, little respect for the glory hunters who defended Heaney over the years and utter contempt for the man himself. Thankfully, Newquay will never be in the position that Truro found themselves in, the lease on Mount Wise runs until 2073 and we are not in debt. The club have stated they will never spend more than they earn, simple economics that ensures the club will remain as one of Cornish footballs biggest clubs.

I like going to Newquay, nice people mostly, the flag mans a bit strange but good atmosphere.

your ambition should be to own your own ground. Just wondering, have you ever investigated the possibility ???

I like going to Newquay, nice people mostly, the flag mans a bit strange but good atmosphere.

your ambition should be to own your own ground. Just wondering, have you ever investigated the possibility ???

Surely that's when the trouble starts? "Business" men pretending to be in it for the football club but really only after the land. Now where have I heard that before? No sorry, can't possibly think of any recent examples

Heaney was just a wanabee player who couldn't run a subutteo side. However, he and his accountants knew which laws they could get around. City, you were played off the park, literally !

Although I don't normally agree with all that Nemesis says he is correct in that KH and his accountants knew which laws they could get around when it came to business.

However, I also know the law.

The police cannot investigate any wrongdoing until an official criminal complaint has been made by a member of the public or government department.

Now, I'm not suggesting that any criminal activity has taken place but if a member of TCFC felt there has been any wrongdoing in regards to serious financial fraud. Both the Police service and HMRC would have to investigate the matter.

If the CPS were to find KH has committed an offensive then he may get a UK court summons and prosecuted by the CPS if they felt their was sufficient evidence.

So, is the TCFC Administartors, Truro Supporters Trust or any other member of the public willing to put in a complaint to the police about KH and his dealings at TCFC? Or do they believe he has done nothing wrong.

Justice

No way can the Administrators get involved, their remit is to judge if Truro City can become a viable business.

The Truro City Trust cannot get involved because it did not exist during the reign of the Heaney regime.

Who can question the previous regime are the people who allege they lost out due to dodgy dealings, maybe

there will be an investigation but the fans didn't own the club and as such are powerless to do anything about

it. We knew we could not challenge Heaney when he held all the aces, our only weapon was to play up to his

ego.

The best way forward for Truro City now is to stop bringing the Heaney saga into the running of the football club,

potential new owners will doubtless be investigating what benefits the football club in the future, the supporters

are now concentrating in maintaining their club near the top of the English footballing ladder.

No at the moment a website is something that has to be sorted out. Your best bet at the moment would be load the Truro Fans Trust blog as a point of reference.

Tomorrow's it's : Truro City FC vs Sutton United FC

Where? Treyew Road, Truro, TR1 2TH

When? 3pm, Saturday 27 October 2012

What? Blue Square Bet South

How much? Adults £11; seniors £7; under 16s £3; under 12s free (when accompanied by an adult)