Cornwall Football Forum

I don't think passing a basic fitness tests will help some officials with their decisions. Some refs need to learn how to speak to players in a calm & reasonable manner first. I believe conflict resolution courses are available. ;-) But yes well done Smitholaa

I don't think passing a basic fitness tests will help some officials with their decisions. Some refs need to learn how to speak to players in a calm & reasonable manner first. I believe conflict resolution courses are available. ;-) But yes well done Smitholaa

The funny thing is - shouldn't players attend two courses:

1. Learn the 17 laws of football

2. An english course to learn words other than those of swearing

The funny thing is - shouldn't players attend two courses:

1. Learn the 17 laws of football

2. An english course to learn words other than those of swearing

Dont think it is the laws most have a problem with, it's the interpretation and the inconsistent application thereof that causes the problems. And I know my english is spot on!!!

Dont think it is the laws most have a problem with, it's the interpretation and the inconsistent application thereof that causes the problems. And I know my english is spot on!!!

No! Its the player's and manager's attitudes that causes the problem,

I have a couple of items in my garage that reminds me of the vast majority of footballers - 2 short planks!

That rules le boss out of being a ref he def could,nt run from 1 box to the other and can only interpret rules in favour of Helston!!

My first post was a light hearted joke about referees eyesight, NOT a start for a free for all barrage of abuse towards them.

If players and club officials are going to appeal that every decision goes there way (which they do)then they put ref,s in a difficult postion also should club linesman go on a course to? as these cause many problems

That rules le boss out of being a ref he def could,nt run from 1 box to the other and can only interpret rules in favour of Helston!!

My first post was a light hearted joke about referees eyesight, NOT a start for a free for all barrage of abuse towards them.

If players and club officials are going to appeal that every decision goes there way (which they do)then they put ref,s in a difficult postion also should club linesman go on a course to? as these cause many problems

Abso -flipping-lutely Topcat you old thoroughbred you. A complete biased barrell - that's me. I can now take my tongue out of my cheek..........

And i thought we were bestest buddies

Hi Le Boss

Sorry to disagree with you but the greater majority of players and managers do NOT know the Laws of the game.

I played senior football for many years and thought I knew the laws but it was not until I undertook a referees course did I realise that it was just that - I thought I had known them.

A lot of the problems in attitude towards referees is that players are playing according to what they think the laws of the game are - And the referees are applying what they actually are.

Just one classic example is that when a player does a tackle and makes contact with the ball - he immediatey thinks that because he has made contact with the ball then no foul has been committed and when the whistle blow he immediately turns on the ref stating this - however the player is probably wrong - as there are many reasons why a foul has been committed - Intent, reckless challenge, studs up, etc etc.

I never took up the whistle as I got involved with managing sides but have to admit that in many games the referees get a hard time from people who think they know, but dont know, the laws of the game.

Just my view of it

What about everyone's favourite ref?

For varying reasons my top three in no particular order are Martin Smith, Al Johns & Pete Sowden.

> Surely you've added Pete for comic value only?? If I was to scream, shout & spit all over a ref as Pete does to players id be taking an early bath. Nice bloke, but an absolute nightmare of a referee!

if it wasnt for the good or the bad refs around we wouldnt play on a saturday. i think opions on refs is best kept to yourselfs they are doing us the favour.

theirs a few good refs in the st austell area one paul something.

looking forward to the season already. :)

hardly doing us a favour - they do get paid for it - but accepted they give up their time like players and managers

Guest Monty

if it wasnt for the good or the bad refs around we wouldnt play on a saturday. i think opions on refs is best kept to yourselfs they are doing us the favour.

hardly doing us a favour - they do get paid for it - but accepted they give up their time like players and managers

Hi Basher,

Dont tar all us referees with the same brush, just because by the sound of your reactions youve had many a poor official. I appreciate that the money helps but in the context of things petrol, car parts, kit costs, affiliation fees etc etc we all seem to be out of pocket. We are approx 35 referees short so far this season from one reason to another and also we seem to have lost some decent referees just purely because they have had enough of un-warranted criticism. Top officials in the Premier league and other leagues have numerous amounts of technology and support and still make the odd mistake so what chance have we got??. Im not just pointing finger at you Basher but on a whole cant the cornish footballing community gives us men in black a break. Hope you have a good season because you are doing a cracking job at Helston Res.

Lee Mitchell :c:

Hi Basher,

Dont tar all us referees with the same brush, just because by the sound of your reactions youve had many a poor official. I appreciate that the money helps but in the context of things petrol, car parts, kit costs, affiliation fees etc etc we all seem to be out of pocket. We are approx 35 referees short so far this season from one reason to another and also we seem to have lost some decent referees just purely because they have had enough of un-warranted criticism. Top officials in the Premier league and other leagues have numerous amounts of technology and support and still make the odd mistake so what chance have we got??. Im not just pointing finger at you Basher but on a whole cant the cornish footballing community gives us men in black a break. Hope you have a good season because you are doing a cracking job at Helston Res.

Lee Mitchell :c:

And what brush would that be Mitchell? I am sick and tired of continually being told how football would grind to a halt if the men in black were not there!! That maybe the truth but just because you are the officialdom of a game does not make you beyond reproach and/or criticism. Maybe it is time that some, and they know who they are, and I have not singled out anyone, were a little bit more self-effacing. We constantly hear and see of referees leaving the game because of the grief they get given and that their saturdays are ruined by the players and officials - has anyone thought that this might be a reciprocal problem??

We are constantly reminded that "we" are all in this together but when it comes down to things being wrong or bad behaviour there is always 2 agendas. Now this might be the fault of the powers to be but please don't run away with the idea that refs hold a gun to our heads and are always in the right. Yes there are lots of great referees out there but its the ones that make it all about them, don't appear to have a clue what they are doing and ruin a game for both sides and then think themselves beyond question that make it bad for the rest of the referees just like the baddies on the football side of things.

A lot of people give up their time - not just referees - that was the point I was making and dont get a penny for it. Surely a favour is just that and not done for payment - perhaps worded wrongly. Sorry, Mitchell if I have offended you, it was not the intention.

Same old subject, lets bash the referee`s.

if you can honestly refute that some referees do not move from the centre of the pitch asper my first post and/or you can honestly dispute that interpretation causes the problems, then i will withdraw my comments unreservedly. I am not bashing referees - i have said there are some great ones. You have to agree there are some pretty awful ones like there are the differing standards of behaviour etc on the team side of things.

Maybe you should inform Tony Stead that you don't want a ref this season, therefore solving your problem???

Maybe you should inform Tony Stead that you don't want a ref this season, therefore solving your problem???

I will ring him right away lol

Personally I think the issue that football faces is that of respect - not just in the game but generally in society!

I am not saying that respect is automatically granted, but gained over a period of time. The reason I state this, is because (from what I hear) referees give up because of the abuse that they get from all angles (FA, Club officials and players) and generally pissed off with it.

The biggest concern that clubs should have is that, when this number becomes too low (possibly this season) it will have a significant impact, NOT related to the quality of the referee, but the actual number registered. If things don't change this year in the final fitness test (August), there will not be enough referee's available for senior appointments. If the number continues to reduce, junior football will be affected in a big way, whereby the lower leagues will not be given appointments.

I myself do not know the figures surrounding recruitment this year, but I would guess more have left than recruited.

You can argue that the abuse from a club's perspective will be - if they are crap the they deserve it! What would you prefer though - having a referee full stop, or not? Clubs are the first to postpone a game or complain when they don't get an appointment.

I agree whole-heartedly about the respect issue and I am not sure how this can be resolved for the benefit of football and referees.

It is interesting that you state that refs get abuse from the FA - that is a new one on me i must admit. Can't imagine why the FA would abuse refs but if you say goes on then i am surprised.

le boss, I can honestly say I watched quite a few referee`s last season and I have yet to meet that referee who stays in the centre circle, as to interpretation as you put it we all see things differently and it`s the referee`s interpretation of the LOAF is what counts no one else`s, that`s why he is there. I do not know if you realise that by taking part in the game be it player or manager you actually agree to abide by that referee/arbiters decisions, out of interest a couple of seasons ago chatting prematch to my two club assistants we had a guess as to how long it would be before someone disputed one of my decisions it was 1min 20secs before I was treated to a torrent of dissent. i hope I can officiate on one of your games this coming season and I will introduce myself.

PS I have never come across any abuse from the FA.

For me I have never criticised a refs decision they can only give what they see they are human just like us players and we make mistakes as they do and they will never change their minds so why do players always argue with them. They do a great job and if they where not there every week we wouldn't be playing this beautiful game. Thank you to all you refs out there you do a stirling job and I wish you all the best for the season ahead.

le boss, I can honestly say I watched quite a few referee`s last season and I have yet to meet that referee who stays in the centre circle, as to interpretation as you put it we all see things differently and it`s the referee`s interpretation of the LOAF is what counts no one else`s, that`s why he is there. I do not know if you realise that by taking part in the game be it player or manager you actually agree to abide by that referee/arbiters decisions, out of interest a couple of seasons ago chatting prematch to my two club assistants we had a guess as to how long it would be before someone disputed one of my decisions it was 1min 20secs before I was treated to a torrent of dissent. i hope I can officiate on one of your games this coming season and I will introduce myself.

PS I have never come across any abuse from the FA.

Got a feeling you ref games that are of a higher standard than i am involved in. I will be the guy with a huge target on my back lol.

Guest Monty

Not ever did i intend to offend anyone, Im just speaking up on behalf of myself because i know personally ive worked hard to get to the level im at now and i intend to carry out those duties as professional as i possibly can and i will always take advice from anyone? Being a referee is being like a police officer in that you have some good ones( who run the game using the laws to there advantage) and you have some complete p****s( who think the game is all about them) and even when out of uniform you do get treated like a off duty police officer. I agree with Mr Basher that some do like the attention on a Saturday and i believe this is being monitored and will eventually be vanished from our game. Its a very difficult hobbie and natrually and sadly Ref bashing as become part of the game now because of the so called pundits on TV and the armchair supporters, Me personally i enjoy the banter on and off the pitch so long may it continue and at least i can say ive done it where most football people say they will never become a referee.

Not these days Le boss, I did reach level 3 but that age thing creeps up on you, but I love football and meeting the people involved so I will keep on until the body say`s it`s time to hang up the boots and no it`s me with the big target on my back. But when you get a good deal of praise on here for a good hard game it makes up for all the hassle.

Not these days Le boss, I did reach level 3 but that age thing creeps up on you, but I love football and meeting the people involved so I will keep on until the body say`s it`s time to hang up the boots and no it`s me with the big target on my back. But when you get a good deal of praise on here for a good hard game it makes up for all the hassle.

will you buy me the beer afterwards out of your wages or do i have to do that too lol

Of course none of the managers or players will make any mistakes this year, no one will dive or deliberately cheat or try to deceive..

All the supporters will leave their rose tinted specs at home, have a clear view of every decision where ever it is and be totally unbiased!!! LOL

Good luck and thanks to all the ref's this year.

:c: :c:

At the end of the day if the refs weren't their then no of us would be able to play the game we love so much, yes they make mistakes it happens, that's football and that's why we love it, mistakes happen at the top of the game, so just live with it cause it not gonna change anytime soon,

Of course none of the managers or players will make any mistakes this year, no one will dive or deliberately cheat or try to deceive..

All the supporters will leave their rose tinted specs at home, have a clear view of every decision where ever it is and be totally unbiased!!! LOL

Good luck and thanks to all the ref's this year.

:c: :c:

I'm not too sure that there is much cheating on behalf of players or refs in Junior football, most are just a great bunch of lads playing for the love of the game with their mates.

It is when you start going up into Senior football that the problems arise. There is more pressure on players and managers to get results, refs have to be fitter, stronger and have 20/20 vision to spot everything that goes on. Supporters are generally accepting of decisions that go against their club if it is a clear cut, no argument, even the blind dog of the blind man saw it type challenge. It is when 50/50 challenges go against sides that arguments / discussions start, they ALWAYS seem to go against your side don't they ?

Swearing in games has been a concern for some for a while now, but you only get a card if you actually swear directly to or at the ref. Falling over, feigning injury and trying to gain an unfair advantage by shirt pulling or holding goes on far too much, we see it sat in the stand, the officials cannot see everything.

I like the idea of refs buying beers for players and managers, The FA should implement this immediately, I suggest a minimum of 6 pints each BEFORE a game.

Have a good season folks.

Nemesis, I do not know or have even heard of any ref cheating, but players etc in junior football, I do come across that quite often, especially the player deliberately looking for the foul in the penalty box. It would seem that what happens at the higher levels gets copied at grass root level.

Refs demand respect and rightly deserve it. However in a youth game last season a ref was too busy chatting to his mate about 10 yards away from the kids who were performing the respect handshake which he was supposed to be involved with.

What sort of example does that set?