Cornwall Football Forum

Truro College - an outrage

I understand that the Truro College team won it's semi final yesterday and will now play in the final at Doncaster Stadium next Wednesday. Firstly I would like to say well done to the team on it's achievements. However, I have received 2 phone calls from players of my Club who also play for Truro College. I have been told that Allun Evans the Truro College team coach has told the players that they are not to play for ther Club team at all before next Wenesday. I understand that the players have been warned that if the Truro College management team discovers that any of the players have played they will not be considered for the final. I think this is outrageous. It is holding the young footballers to ransom. I have 3 players that are affected by this including a goalkeeper. I told our players to ask Mr Evans to ring me but I don't think he is at College today and so I don't anticipate getting a call. I have also asked one of the other coaches who is teaching at present to ring me to discuss this and will see if he has the coutesy to reply. I would be interested to get the views of others. I have always taken a keen interest in how the players have done at the College and don't want to deprive them of the opportunity of playing in their big game, I just think Mr Evans has gone about this in the wrong way.

I understand that the Truro College team won it's semi final yesterday and will now play in the final at Doncaster Stadium next Wednesday. Firstly I would like to say well done to the team on it's achievements. However, I have received 2 phone calls from players of my Club who also play for Truro College. I have been told that Allun Evans the Truro College team coach has told the players that they are not to play for ther Club team at all before next Wenesday. I understand that the players have been warned that if the Truro College management team discovers that any of the players have played they will not be considered for the final. I think this is outrageous. It is holding the young footballers to ransom. I have 3 players that are affected by this including a goalkeeper. I told our players to ask Mr Evans to ring me but I don't think he is at College today and so I don't anticipate getting a call. I have also asked one of the other coaches who is teaching at present to ring me to discuss this and will see if he has the coutesy to reply. I would be interested to get the views of others. I have always taken a keen interest in how the players have done at the College and don't want to deprive them of the opportunity of playing in their big game, I just think Mr Evans has gone about this in the wrong way.

Sounds like Mr Evans has delusions of grandeur, who is he to dictate whether these players play for their clubs or not ? Almost laughable really :SM_carton:

most of them will want to play for their respective clubs

but........ how would you feel if you were them and you got injured?????

all it takes is a mistimed tackle from an opposition player or an awkward fall on the rock hard pitches we have at the moment and the old muscle strain or pull is always there at the back of the mind too,

This may be the only chance they ever get to play in a national final which most people will never get in their lifetimes!

who are you manager of by the way pal??

all it takes is a mistimed tackle from an opposition player or an awkward fall on the rock hard pitches we have at the moment and the old muscle strain or pull is always there at the back of the mind too,

This may be the only chance they ever get to play in a national final which most people will never get in their lifetimes!

Perhaps it is time to be big enough to encourage the lads to co-operate with the College!

Perhaps it is time to be big enough to encourage the lads to co-operate with the College!

couldnt agree more mr chairman

Cat - Jimbo (Jim Hilton) is the current manager of Newquay First Team.

Yes for 2 more games I am the manager of Newquay S W P L team as I am stepping down at the end of this season. I am interested in people's opinions. If one of the players came to me and said he didn't want to play for fear of injury, I would be disappointed but would accept his decision. My opinion is that I just feel that the boys are not being allowed to make their own decision because of the warning I understand they have had. I wish Truro College well in the final and hope that the Newquay lads make a massive contribution in the game.

Yes for 2 more games I am the manager of Newquay S W P L team as I am stepping down at the end of this season. I am interested in people's opinions. If one of the players came to me and said he didn't want to play for fear of injury, I would be disappointed but would accept his decision. My opinion is that I just feel that the boys are not being allowed to make their own decision because of the warning I understand they have had. I wish Truro College well in the final and hope that the Newquay lads make a massive contribution in the game.

So Newquay are now subject to more 'Youth' discrimination. Jim has done a superb job in bringing youngsters on, both CCFA and now Truro College decide who can play and when. It begs the question, why do clubs such as Newquay bother to invest time, money and effort in junior and youth football when it is others who benefit too often. Good luck to the Newquay youngsters in Donny, I'm sure Mr Evans will chalk up another post on his CV through no real effort of his own.

Who else is involved, will other clubs also suffer over the Bank Holiday weekend, when most have 2 and some 3 games between now and Weds next week.

Don't bring me into your "discrimination".

I pick the Cornwall Youth Team and hope that the players wish to play and the clubs allow them to. If they refuse, then I have no option other than to accept their decision. If you ask Jim or any other manager for that matter, they will all tell you that I try to be sympathetic to their needs, that's why Ryan Barnes and Ben Hurst were both available to play for their clubs for our last game of the season.

I have never put any pressure on a player to play for me yet and don't intend to do so.

Two players from a club called me this year requesting not to play for the Cornwall Youth side again in preference to their club. No problem at all, I only want players who want to play for us.

Players of this age are being pulled in many directions, I work with managers and they work with me. We are mindful that they are not our players and never want them to return to their clubs injured and therefore unavailable for future fixtures.

Before you make your generalised statements, have a quick word with Jim and ask him how I work and perhaps you may have a different view on things. Don't forget, some of the players that Newquay have signed over the last few years, particularly when Les Gilbert was manager, were Cornwall Youth players before he signed them. They were, like many others, recognised as good players once they had broken through the Cornwall ranks.

I wonder who Alan Evans will pick to go to the final if they all choose to play for their clubs this weekend? Good luck to all the players, many of whom are good friends of mine and fine ambassadors for Cornish football.

I have previously managed some fine youth players - Tommy will know some of them because they have played for him at County level. Its a fine balancing act when you run a club side and players are called up for professional trials/county/other teams. Personally I spoke to players and left them out/made my better players subs.in youth games to avoid overplay etc when they had trials /county games etc which I felt would benefit their development, sometimes to the determent of results/trophy's for my team. When they get to adult football I guess its much more difficult to make judgments.

BUT - I never threatened any player or gave them ultimatums, I think thats a bit out of order.

Sympathy to Jim.

:c:

I may be misinformed, but I thought that clubs were supposed to seek the permission of headteachers/college principals in order to sign players under the age of 18 who were in full-time education, and that college/school fixtures always had to take priority. Having said that, I think the college could have approached this in a more sensible and diplomatic way.

You are misinformed.

You can play open-age football on your 16th birthday. In the professional game there are different rules and a player under the age of 16 can play professional football as long as permission is sought from the head teacher. Matthew Etherington played for Peterborough when he was 15 and Barry Fry had to ask his head teacher for permission to play. There is also a 15 year old cricketer playing professional cricket at present and his head teacher had to be contacted as well.

No one's saying that it's not important for the players to be fit for a prestige final, but I would let the lads make up their own mind and hope they all come through. Many of my players play mid-week for Truro College or their club before a Cornwall match, but I've never asked them not to play.

I was not directing any complaint towards you personally Mr Matthews, just the CCFA and perhaps the SWPL. I still cannot fathom why clubs are not permitted to call off SWPL games when 2 or more players are called up for County duty.

One lad has indicated to me that he will not play Newquay games on Saturday and Monday for fear of injury, which I totally understand, I may have done the same at that age. I sincerely hope the lads enjoy playing at Donny and come home with a win.

Just found this on the FA website, Tommy :-

REGULATIONS FOR THE CONTROL OF YOUTH FOOTBALL

(Players under the age of 18 on 31st August in the current season)

1. A County Association may form a County Youth Football Association, or carry out the duties

by a Committee of its own Association.

2. The constitution of the Youth Association, or Committee, must be submitted to The Football

Association.

MEMORANDUM: CHILDREN OF SCHOOL AGE AND SCHOOL GAMES

One of the important aspects of games in school is the opportunity they afford of developing a

pupil’s sense of loyalty and honour. It is therefore of concern when interest in games outside the

school conflict with a pupil’s loyalty to the school and/or school organisations’ activities.

1. It is usually the pupil of outstanding Football ability whose services are sought by any Club,

and the Player is most likely to be a member of the school or association team. While

schools’ matches are often arranged on Saturday mornings and Club matches take place in

the afternoon, it is considered that a player should not play in two matches on the same day,

for the one match is likely to affect play in the other.

2. An outside Club or organisation should consult the head-teacher before selecting any child

of school age to play for a team, and should accept the head-teacher’s decision on these

matters.

Head-teachers of schools should not restrain pupils, who are not selected for school games

of any kind, from playing for an outside organisation during their free time.

Just found this on the FA website, Tommy :-

REGULATIONS FOR THE CONTROL OF YOUTH FOOTBALL

(Players under the age of 18 on 31st August in the current season)

1. A County Association may form a County Youth Football Association, or carry out the duties

by a Committee of its own Association.

2. The constitution of the Youth Association, or Committee, must be submitted to The Football

Association.

MEMORANDUM: CHILDREN OF SCHOOL AGE AND SCHOOL GAMES

One of the important aspects of games in school is the opportunity they afford of developing a

pupil’s sense of loyalty and honour. It is therefore of concern when interest in games outside the

school conflict with a pupil’s loyalty to the school and/or school organisations’ activities.

1. It is usually the pupil of outstanding Football ability whose services are sought by any Club,

and the Player is most likely to be a member of the school or association team. While

schools’ matches are often arranged on Saturday mornings and Club matches take place in

the afternoon, it is considered that a player should not play in two matches on the same day,

for the one match is likely to affect play in the other.

2. An outside Club or organisation should consult the head-teacher before selecting any child

of school age to play for a team, and should accept the head-teacher’s decision on these

matters.

Head-teachers of schools should not restrain pupils, who are not selected for school games

of any kind, from playing for an outside organisation during their free time.

But these aren't "children of school age", they are in post-compulsory education.

I think if you go back to Jims original post he hasn't a problem with them not playing

What he is miffed about is the way apparently it's been done by the management and coaches threatening them not to play for their clubs and that if they do play for their clubs and are found out then they won't be picked. What utter drivvle !!!!!!!

It should be down to the players themselves if they play or not lets not forget it's young lads and it's only college football they are not professionals.

Cat just for your info Jim Hilton is the manager at Newquay and is a top bloke and very highly regarded in local football......

AJW, I teach PE at a school so I'm familiar with what the regulations state, and as Smudge alludes to, they are not children of school age. However, many of them are on courses that are tied in with their football and quite rightly should play for their college. That's not the point that Jim Hilton's making just like Sy says.

We have players at our school who are/have been on the books of professional clubs and we sometimes have clashes with school matches and training nights. We don't want to stand in the way of their development so we try to organise school cup matches on another night. Any school friendlies we're happy to allow them to miss if necessary. However, if we need a player for a school cup match, we would hope that they would play and that the pro club they're associated with would understand.

So far it's worked well as the players themselves don't want to miss out on success with their school and we don't want to stand in the way of their development.

I also don't know of any schools who play their fixtures on Saturday mornings. I used to and then sometimes played again in the afternoons, something that I would strongly advise against now.

What i would appreciate is notice from Truro College or any other College for that mstter is whether another oversees trip is in the pipeline for next spring. Had i known in advance that T/C were off to Japan this March i would have re-arranged our fixtures a tad differently.

Not being allowed to play for a week before is ridiculous. We are already missing a player for the game on wednesday becasue of the game which we all accept as it is a final. Not playing for the week before for clubs who rely on these young players and have given them the chance to play and develop all season is harsh to say the least. It is difficult for teams who have young players, this year for instance players have travelled to japan for two weeks and add this to the Cornwall game that also take precedence over club football it is a major whole for clubs to fill, particularly for us as an east cornwall league club!

Could we possibly get some support for this final as everything so far has been negative. As a player for the college i see this as a great achievement for the college and the county. I can see both sides to this arguement and its happened now. So i ask can you get behind us so that we will bring this national final trophy back to cornwall and show that were not just a bunch of cow kickers ! !

So i ask can you get behind us so that we will bring this national final trophy back to cornwall and show that were not just a bunch of cow kickers ! !

Sorry but Cornish football isn't played by "just a bunch of cow kickers" - this is as negative a remark as the earlier ones on this thread!!!

surely it is all clubs interest to allow their young players to experience the best standard of coaching/football whilst they are developing into adults.as stated before most players will never get the chance these boys are getting.what are we talking about,one week!!just think what these boys will bring back with them.surely it will make them better for it and therefore benefit the club in the long run.win/win all around.the trouble in this country is the same from top to bottom it is not about development just results. having said that the college should be in better contact with both clubs and ccfa. :c:

Dave,

In defence if Number3, he may well be referring to a phrase that I use when doing team talks. He wasn't being negative, quite the opposite.

I very often use this phrase to make a point that often our opposition will think we are just a bunch of cow kickers from Cornwall. How wrong they are if they take this attitude as our results over the last few seasons have proved. If I thought that was actually what we were I wouldn't be doing the job. We produce great young players every year as the Truro College team will tell you having got to two finals on the spin.

Good luck to Truro College this week, any big game experience will help them at club level.

I may be in the minority,but I can certainly understand why a manager would like his squad 100% fit ahead of such an important final.This could be a once in a lifetime chance for some to compete in a national final.Why dont all you clubmen cut the boys and Truro College a bit of slack,see the bigger picture and wish the boys the best of luck.Taking away a fully fit and rested team could make all the difference in such an important final.Lets hope the boys can pull it off and bring the silverware back to the County.

I may be in the minority,but I can certainly understand why a manager would like his squad 100% fit ahead of such an important final.This could be a once in a lifetime chance for some to compete in a national final.Why dont all you clubmen cut the boys and Truro College a bit of slack,see the bigger picture and wish the boys the best of luck.Taking away a fully fit and rested team could make all the difference in such an important final.Lets hope the boys can pull it off and bring the silverware back to the County.

I think we all echo your sentiments with regard to wishing the youngsters all the best for the final and certainly hope they bring the trophy back to Cornwall. I do think you again are missing the point, Jimbo who started this thread will probably echo your views on wishing them luck, the point he is making is the way it was handled and not being spoken to by the management team at the college and to see how he and his club would be affected by this ultimatum from them.

Let us not forget that it has been down to people like jimbo who have given the youngsters the chance in senior football and this experience has helped them to help the college to success. This is a two way street and surely a little more communication would have avoided this bitterness in the first place.

To finish, once again I would wish the colllege the very best for the final.

No silverware this time I'm afraid as the College team lost 3-0 but the lads do have a semi-final in another competition on Friday and if they win that they get through to the final against the same team they played yesterday so maybe they can gain some payback there :thumbsup:

Yesterdays game was played at the Keepmoat Stadium,home of Championship team Doncaster Rovers FC, which is obviously VERY different to what the players are used to (even at County level)so I'm sure they will all remember the experience for many years to come.

Maybe if all the players had played over the previous weekend it might have been a different result?

Didn't work that way for Mamsy Sabo - he had to miss the final because he got hurt playing for his club the weekend before

Maybe if all the players had played over the previous weekend it might have been a different result?

Didn't work that way for Mamsy Sabo - he had to miss the final because he got hurt playing for his club the weekend before

He would have missed the final anyway as he went against Mr Evans' request :SM_carton:

He would have missed the final anyway as he went against Mr Evans' request :SM_carton:

Didn't he play in the Throgmorton Cup final on Bank Holiday Monday?

players which played at Doncaster.

Ryan Barnes - Newquay

Jamie Webb - Falmouth Res

James Ward - Truro City Res

Ben Williams - Penryn

Sam Harry - Penryn Res

Tim Nixon - Penzance

Kieren Conibear-Trathern - Truro Res

Cody Cooke - Truro Res

Will Cherrill - St Blazey

Danny Carne - Newquay

Tom Annear - Hayle

Luke Osbourne - St Agnes

Ben Rosevear - Sticker

Billy Curtis - Hayle

Jack Bowyer - Truro Res

Adam Williams Truro Res

Truro College also lost their game the following Friday which knocked them out the other national final. was a great run from the lads!