Cornwall Football Forum

Free entry for under 16s at Truro

I'm sure Kevin Heaney won't mind me mentioning something he told me this evening; that entry for accompanied under-16s is FREE for 1st team games this season, i.e. dad turning up with two under-16 children pays a total of £10 as opposed to the £16 he'd have paid last season. A step in the right direction, I thought.

• CITY ALERT - NEW SCHOOLS SCHEME

May 27th 2010

FREE TRURO CITY ENTRY FOR LOCAL SCHOOL CHILDREN

Truro City are contacting many local schools with an offer of free season tickets for their pupils. In a letter to head teachers, Chairman Kevin Heaney writes:

"We are very aware of the stature of football within schools. We believe in trying to introduce children to 'the beautiful game' through our club. We have many children's teams under our umbrella, and are striving to develop the skills of these children at all times.

"We propose to offer each child at your school a free season ticket for Truro City FC, usually worth £55. With the children's tickets, each child under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. This must be someone over the age of 18.

"We would like to get an idea of exactly what sort of numbers would be interested in this idea, and are hopeful it would be something that we as a club would have ready for the start of the 2010/2011 season."

The two statements above tell two stories.

"I'm sure Kevin Heaney won't mind me mentioning something he told me this evening; that entry for accompanied under-16s is FREE for 1st team games this season, i.e. dad turning up with two under-16 children pays a total of £10 as opposed to the £16 he'd have paid last season. A step in the right direction, I thought"

Anyone turning up with children under 16 pays an adult entry price? If so why doesn't someone try it first game of the season. bring all your local kids and see if they get in for free.

The other statement

Truro City are contacting many local schools with an offer of free season tickets for their pupils. In a letter to head teachers, Chairman Kevin Heaney writes:

"We are very aware of the stature of football within schools. We believe in trying to introduce children to 'the beautiful game' through our club. We have many children's teams under our umbrella, and are striving to develop the skills of these children at all times.

"We propose to offer each child at your school a free season ticket for Truro City FC, usually worth £55. With the children's tickets, each child under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. This must be someone over the age of 18.

"We would like to get an idea of exactly what sort of numbers would be interested in this idea, and are hopeful it would be something that we as a club would have ready for the start of the 2010/2011 season."

So this text says something diferent. Only kids with the free season tickets from certain schools can get in. Only if each child is with an adult, in other words, one adult with one free season ticket. Different to the first statement!

So what about the casual/away supporters who live away from these areas where tickets are being handed out?

What about kids from one parent families whose mother doesn't like football? Will they lose out.

Will there be a load of kids hanging around outside the ground on matchdays all clutching these free tickets begging strangers to pretend they are their kids? Bit dodgy that!!

Not thought out very well is it!!!!

Truro clutching at straws again to increase gates!

Should be a simple policy, all kids under 16 free for all league games, but must pay for cup games. Simples :wacko:

As I understood it, a parent can bring in two children free. That was from Kevin's lips last night at the ground. I didn't make that clear in my OP, did I. There's been nothing that I've seen in the media about it since that May City Alert and it seemed such a positive move I thought it deserved a bit of publicity.

Er.....how many clubs in Cornwall actually charge under 16s anyway? In my experience, not very many at all, so this is hardly a novel idea. It should also be noted that the more people watch Truro, ergo the fewer people there can be to support other, more local, clubs who haven't got a multi-millionaire as chairman.

it's not just about the people he as ripped off or what he is trying to do. i dont see why you should pay £10 pound to watch just to much, the amount of swearing there is with children around is just discusting. i've been to watch the pirate's play rugby on many occasion and you barely hear a swear word and they get gate's of a couple of thousand's. i understand what the chairmen is trying to do for the club but should be more incentive for the local people to go an cheer the side on. just my thought's thats all.

i dont see why you should pay £10 pound to watch just to much

I've spoken to a couple of people recently who think the same. One is middle aged, smokes 20 fags a day and his under 16 son wears very expensive trainers and other designer gear! The other is in his twenties and spends £50 every Saturday evening getting smashed with his mates! I don't think these people are in any position to complain about an entrance fee of £10! :angry2:

Guest watcher

Kevin is just trying to pull the wool again - Mr Friendly, "I love the Kiddies, I support Youth Football and Youth Development", jargon, jargon - Come on !

It's all a cheap publicity attempt to try to turn the PR tables, and to make some headway in increasing the gate receipts - because he needs the cash!

Let's face it, it's about the only cash he can actually lay his hands on these days, and with one winding-up order having already been in the Truro City bag, it's only a matter of time before the next one rolls in......and Kevin's just trying to coin it while he still can. Let's not all be fooled yet again.

Perhaps the reason for the differing under 16 offers is that there wasn't much take up on the original offer? I couldn't tell you what the reason is, I'm not Kevin Heaney, and nor do I know how he operates.

What is different about him wanting to get more people in to watch than any other club chairman?

£10 is, I believe, the league maximum, with £8 being the minimum. I don't know if it's still technically £9 and £1 for a seat like last season.

I don't know if it's still technically £9 and £1 for a seat like last season.

Basic adult entrance was ten quid and people were paying an extra quid on the gate for a seat - although in reality no one was checking whether you'd paid or not to sit down in the stands, stewards seem very thin on the ground this season

I have and wear designer gear,Stone Island,Henri Lloyd,Fred Perry etc.

But I think £10 is a bit steep.

The point being,it does'nt matter what you wear,to have an opinion on the admission prices at Truro.

I think that the admission price of £10 is reasonable compared to designer gear made abroad using sweat-shop labour! However, as you say it's up individuals how they spend their money. :D

Im afraid Truro City were only one of a few clubs who charged £10 last season,most other Clubs were around £7-£8.

Suppose,when you think that I paid £44 for Spurs game against Man City,and have been charged £49 for my Champions League

ticket, £10 for a game of football seem cheap.