Cornwall Football Forum

Perranporth v NEWQUAY AFC

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Possibly an early indication as to where the title may head this season, both have already beaten a good Penryn side in the last week.

Unfortunately, Newquay Combo are at home 7.30pm and this may stop some from travelling, preferring to stay and support Andy Bicknells boys instead. The usual suspects will be at Ponsmere though to cheers the Reds on to another 3 points. The drink bet I have will have to be carried over as our car load will be shooting off at F/T to catch the 2nd half at Mount Wise, I'm sure we will catch up in the return match.

Hopefully a good match for the neutral as I'm sure a few will head over to catch this one between the 2 title favourites.

Title favourites? Is that with Ladbrokes or Hills?

I think that the earlier poll of Cornish footballing folk pretty much came to that conclusion.... you remember them, the ones who said PZ would win the league last season but gave Newquay no chance at all.

Who would you have as title favs if not Perran and Nqy ?

I tend to agree with you but stranger things happen in footy as we all know.

To be honest judge, just wanted to know if there were any odds :)

(like a flutter)

Back in the day (well on Canvey anyway) when the big firms were not all over the High Street, you could find a local bookie who would give odds on say the Essex Senior League, does anyone know of one down here that might be brave enough ?

Saying that, I doubt it would be worth their time in research to actually formulate odds, due to the small amount they would make. Is there an enterprising forum bookie perhaps ?

Purely for fun.... Mrs Judge wouldn't appreciate me blowing next summers holiday money by starting up a bookies !

Perranporth 7/4

Newquay AFC 2/1

Plymstock 7/2

Vospers 4/1

St Austell 9/2

Penryn 8/1

Wendron... (the one bet I will take, any price you want !)

If you get odds of say 250/1 on say Wendron (sorry to pick on you Wendron) its gotta be worth sticking 20 grand down, then investing 100 grand in a team of Southern League players :P

Now if only they could find a local (Spurs supporting) businessman to build on their ground !!!

As a player myself it would surely be un-ethical (if thats such a word) to give odds, lol!!

BUT IMO......St Austell have to be snapped up at such generous odds!! (having already beaten the 1st and 2nd favourites last season more than once in the case of the latter)

Either way as ladbrokes slogan suggests 'everyones got an opinion, whats yours worth'.

Should be a cracking game at Perranporth tonight, I predict 2-1 home win (Harris 1, Ivers 1).

:D :D

As far as tonight goes, Newquay will have to cope with the physical game that Perranporth play and be a touch better than we were on Saturday to get a result.

Head says 2-2, Heart says 1-3.

That's a book of about 150% Judge! Not very generous to the unitiated. Agree St Awful wud be the value bet. No price for Millbrook?

May start taking small punts on St Awful at this rate... you have to be in the know to set odds !!! 150% I could make a bookie yet.... I'm just of to Dragons Den to get some funding !

Millbrook, good outside bet but can anyone really see beyond Perranporth and Newquay ?

PERRANPORTH 1 NEWQUAY 2

Perran conceded two sloppy goals in the first half to Paul Robertson and Sam McKune to make it 2-0 in a half which the visitors just shaded.

2nd period was only 5 minutes old when a handball from a corner led to Ian Gosling pulling one back from the spot and it was all Perran in the second half without really troubling the keeper. Sub Scott Palmer blasted a sitter wide in the last few minutes but a good game watched by maybe 120 ?.

all Perran in the second half without really troubling the keeper

I would go along with Perranporth having the majority of the second-half, but never causing too many problems for Luke Payne in the Newquay goal. One important save late on, but otherwise the home side disappointed upfront. Where's Alex Arquati - not mentioned in the squad in the programme? Is he away, or moved on?

Feisty game, that just about kept below the radar of the referee's cards! :clapper:

Guest newbie

all Perran in the second half without really troubling the keeper

I would go along with Perranporth having the majority of the second-half, but never causing too many problems for Luke Payne in the Newquay goal. One important save late on, but otherwise the home side disappointed upfront. Where's Alex Arquati - not mentioned in the squad in the programme? Is he away, or moved on?

Feisty game, that just about kept below the radar of the referee's cards! :clapper:

I heard alex has been told to play for either the reserves or the thirds!!!

No one could have argued if the match had ended in a draw, official attendance given to me as 177 which seemed about right, probably a third home support, a third away and a third neutrals, many of whom came over and said hello.

Newquay played football in the first half whereas those around me were disappointed that Perran resorted to the long ball game. The Peppermints were 1-0 up affter 2mins when Robbo finished from close range after a right sided cross was not cleared. Perran could have equalised on 8mins when the home No.6 missed a good heading chance. Mike Davies suffered an injury on 16mins which he carried for another 10mins or so before being subbed. The visitors contined to push forward and the long balls that were sent for the Perran forwards were dealt with for the majority of the time. On the half hour, the home 14 could have done better when slicing a shot wide from inside the box, 2mins later the home 10 had a good chance after a the defence failed to clear a header. Newquay then had a great 10 minute spell when they could and should have cashed in on several chances. Eventually, Sam McKune headed home at the near post from a corner to make it 2-0 to the Reds just before half time.

Perran came out in the second half and started to pass the ball around in the style that we have been used to seeing from them. A cross from the right saw Middsy jump with a forward for the ball, Middsy missed it and the forward behind him headed the ball onto the Newquay Captains arm (at the time it looked a clear handball but now I've got the piccy on my puter, there is no way Middsy could have got out of the way and the ball actually came from behind him) Still, a penalty was given and the home 7 sent the keeper the wrong way. At this point, Newquay fans berated Everton Dave for not bringing his drum to put the penalty taker off, like he did against Penryn.

Shortly after, the home 6 went in strongly on Luke Payne in the Newquay goal and both needed treatment, the 6 was rightly booked. The incident seemed to upset the home 7 (Gosling I think, certainly a gobby berk who was more concerned with arguing with the Newquay players than seeing how the injured lads were). Kevin Lawrence for the home side started to run the show and was clearly the best player in a blue shirt. Several chances were either blasted high, wide or saved superbly by Man of the Match Luke Payne in the Newquay goal. Handbags were brought out on a couple of occasions and the ref dished out a few yellows, perhaps the home 6 should have got a 2nd but the ref must have left his red card at home. As usual it was Gosling at the centre of any confrontation, he certainly has a lot of passion for the game, just a bit misplaced at times.

The final whistle was greeted by a huge cheer from the travelling Newquay Loyal and players as 3 points were gained in this hard fought local derby, definately one for the neutral.

Got a load of my usual crap quality phone vids on my Youtube account but here are the goals from the game:

KOBOGa5iT-0

cnluf_lMXcY

AvqH-FLZFd0

Really good game tonight and a great three points for Newquay, not too many teams will get a result against Perran this season.

Good shout!!!! Surely a small firm such as Cornish Racing might be able to come up with something???

What would your odds be then judge???

Say on:

Perranporth

Newquay

Penryn

St Austell

and maybe a selected few........

Truro should be there, did beat newquay two times last season!!!!!

Guest BLATCHY

That beats winning anything in my time. As a Perran lad i love the club but where r the Perran boy's? Not 1 of there player's would stay if they didn't get their money?

That beats winning anything in my time. As a Perran lad i love the club but where r the Perran boy's? Not 1 of there player's would stay if they didn't get their money?

Stick around bud, plenty more big games to come this season, you want emotion, passion and trophies then Mount Wise is the place to be.... and as you know, we don't have any money grabbers, correction, we don't have any money to grab !

Dean, as you well know the "Perran boys" are playing for the Reserves. From last seasons 1st team, Sam Moustrides (if you can class him as a Perran boy) was unavailable last night, Alex Arquati is currently recovering from a medial collateral ligament injury and Elliot Brown is playing well and enjoying himself with the Reserves. Lee Dark will be available for the Reserves when John & Elliot have played five consecutive games as per FHFL rules.

As with most ambitious clubs it is inevitable that the local players will be squeezed out as better players are signed..... thats just life. Perran are lucky enough to have a good group of loyal players that have stayed with the club. The Reserve Team have made a couple of good signings this year too, John Mitchell one of the more notable signings even with the keen interest from another local SWPL club...... Tap Tap

Good win for you last night, I know how much it meant for you as a player to win that game Deano :clapper:

I was at the perran match last thought newquay played some lovely football but newquays no9 who does he think he is ronaldo with all his stepovers he lost the ball every time and at times he should of passed to robbo but chose to shoot weakly at the perran goalie bad mistake by the peran goalie for 1st goal from robbo when the ball looped over his head into the net 2nd goal lot better from hartingan corner think mccune scored in the end but start of 2nd half middleton thinks hes playing basketball and gives away a pen and in the end newquay where hangin on after perrans poor shooting let them down ,robbo must be covered in bruses today after the kickin he got from perran players .well done to both teams for such a good game ,just 1 complaint £2 50 for a bitter shandy and £2 50 for lager shandy bit steap that. :c: :c:

Guest BLATCHY

I will be sticking around JUDGE. I am really enjoying it at Newquay.Jim know's his football and is a top bloke and a quality manager. My position is centre half but i'm happy do a job at right back for the club. I hope to get my chance soon at that position. :clapper:

I will be sticking around JUDGE. I am really enjoying it at Newquay.Jim know's his football and is a top bloke and a quality manager. My position is centre half but i'm happy do a job at right back for the club. I hope to get my chance soon at that position. :clapper:

Is the right answer :clapper:

Guest Scooter

sam moustrides played last night did he????????????

that would be hard considering hes in corfu!!!

my bad miss read... thats what happens when you read and play fifa att he same time!

Let us find out next Weds 2nd Sept 7.30pm at Treyew Road, Truro City Res v Newquay AFC.

Lets hope you do better than you did at the end of last season.

Thank you, we will !

Guest newbie

So I take it you have never won any trophies in the game then??

I disagree, my best mate plays for the first team and I'm sure he would play regardless.

Dan is old school though Rich, a dying breed. Not many people play for free these days but i'm sure Dan would!

Let us find out next Weds 2nd Sept 7.30pm at Treyew Road, Truro City Res v Newquay AFC.

Truro City Reserves and the officials 6 (Six) Newquay AFC XI 2

Enjoy your small victory, we will enjoy winning the league.

:rolleyes: didnt you say you would win it last year? :rolleyes:

No, never said that last season but did say we would be close to it (not wrong) when all the supposed experts on the forum said we would finish 4th, 5th, or even 6th.