Cornwall Football Forum

statement from portreath

Guest meady

Guest meady

Hi All

Here is the news I was afraid I would have to announce one day. As most people know, Portreath AFC has been going through a tough time with various events and for many reasons the Club will be disbanding with immediate effect. Many people within the Club have worked extremely hard over the years and continue to work endlessly to try and keep the Club going. I will not go into details with the reasons behind it all but the Club felt it was better to disband now than start the season and mess up all the fixtures and upset the players more so that now. The Club financially was in a good position but I felt that all the other circumstances that we could not accept sponsorship money when knowing that the Club could give very little back. The Club has enough funds to clear all outstanding debts. We came into this owing nothing and will exit the same way.

Finally I would like to say thank you to everyone within the Club and from other Clubs that have helped me over the years and will look back on what we have achieved with fond memories. I wish all past and present players the best for the future and I am sure we will all continue to see each other. It is goodbye from him and goodbye from me.

cheers

Meady

Hi Andy

I haven't known Portreath and you personally very long in the Combo but I enjoyed my visits to the Croft, even going to games there when Pz didn't have one on.

A sad day for all when a club, especially a senior one, folds.

Good luck from me to the players who have stayed loyal and the hard working people in the background within the club.

Don't feel you've been burnt by the experience, people who really care are few and far apart. Find another club in a few months time as football is all the more poorer without you all.

CTB

A club completley folding is very sad news especially one that won the junior cup only 15 months ago and finished runners up in the Supp cup in their first year in senior football.

Players have a right to move on during the close season however when virtually an entire squad move it leaves the club with very little room for manouvre. Is it time to put a cap on how many players can go to one club from another during the close season? We have had the same trouble as Portreath at Holmans having lost no less then 7 players in one go to perranwell!!!! Allowing two to go free is fair enough but i think the 7 day notice rule should then apply that cannot commence until August 15th this will prevent the "domino" effect of one player leaving causing all the others to leave because they think that you won't be competitive.

The people behind the scenes in particular Andy Mead who has worked hard to make Portreath the success that it has been on and off the field are the ones that have been left to pick up the pieces and now have made the agonising decision to disband all their hard work. I hope that the players and backroom staff are now not disillusioned with football and find another club soon.

I don't know the circumstances behind this news, but going on what Pitty alludes to, it comes as no surprise.

Local football should be made up of men enjoying their Saturday afternoons playing football, and having a chat in the bar afterwards. I know it is more serious than that, but on the whole, it isn't.

Sadly, local football has very few men playing as described above, but is full of "little boys" with big ego's.

Good luck to the men at Portreath. I hope the little boys have no luck whatsoever.

Is it time to put a cap on how many players can go to one club from another during the close season?

Isn't it more a case of looking at why players move clubs? They are not contracted "employed" players and so I don't see how anyone can be blocked in a close-season from moving on.

Where did all the players go?

Guest bunditheboss

loyal players at the club are talking to andy mead about a possible take over of the club and carrying on, portreath is a great club and would be a shame for them to just dissapear so we are looking into keeping the club going but need to sort out finances and other things before we can go ahead, if anyone out there is interested plaease contact me asap as we need as much help as pssible if we are to pull this off

Is it time to put a cap on how many players can go to one club from another during the close season?

Isn't it more a case of looking at why players move clubs? They are not contracted "employed" players and so I don't see how anyone can be blocked in a close-season from moving on.

Where did all the players go?

Dave players are sometimes lured away by departing managers and some "extras" thrown in!!

My comment on capping players all leaving at once would prevent the situation that Portreath find themselves in. You can have 2 free moves to one club but anymore to the same club during close season could be regulated....yes players could still move but would not be able to folow the rest of the "herd"

If a number of players leave the 1st team it can be a detrimental effect throughout the whole club when you find 2nd team players not wanting to make the step up to a higher league thinking they are not good enough to compete (Sadly they move on even though they are more then capable to play at a higher level)

Trying to control where players go out of season is just a no go all players have the right to play where they want at the beggining of the new season.

There are certain managers around that yes if you appoint them they will bring in players normally the same ones but on the same hand when they leave they go with them and if you are not equipped to deal with it you shouldn't appoint them in the first place.

A real shame about Portreath and it was only a couple of seasons ago I went to watch them win the junior cup I think senior football was a step to early im afraid they needed more players coming through to sustain a real go at it.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Surely there must be more to it than lack of players... can they not get 15 hardy souls to play a Combo season even if they are not fighting for honours but just to keep the club alive. Ludgvan must be the example here !

Surely there must be more to it than lack of players... can they not get 15 hardy souls to play a Combo season even if they are not fighting for honours but just to keep the club alive. Ludgvan must be the example here !

You would of thought so. I'm sure a whole squad just didn't move on.

I think you'l find that virtually the entire first team from last season have moved on. Only two or three remained from last seasons combo squad. :(

You would of thought so. I'm sure a whole squad just didn't move on.

I think you'l find that virtually the entire first team from last season have moved on. Only two or three remained from last seasons combo squad. :(

DId Prtreath have a Res team?

Guest rick portreath

portreath will be fulfilling the combo league fixtures this season i know the players there are also working like mad to fulfil there mining fixtures aswell, i am sure bundi will post on here soon and explain all but he is still looking for help of any kind if anyone is interested

As most people know, Portreath AFC has been going through a tough time with various events and for many reasons the Club will be disbanding with immediate effect

Quite hard to understand what can change overnight to enable the club to suddenly continue. Or was this a cry out to the players to pull their socks up and start thinking of the club and not themselves!

Guest rick portreath

thats exactly right, everything has changed over night, a new commitee is being voted tomorrow night, the players have all got together to save the club

Guest rick portreath

i think they will have a good squad and players playing for the club not the manager is always a good thing to have, playing for the shirt, i wish portreath all the best and i dont think they will be the next ludgvan not even close

Local football should be made up of men enjoying their Saturday afternoons playing football, and having a chat in the bar afterwards. I know it is more serious than that, but on the whole, it isn't.

Sadly, local football has very few men playing as described above, but is full of "little boys" with big ego's.

Good luck to the men at Portreath. I hope the little boys have no luck whatsoever.

Probably the best few parragraphs written on the forum. Good luck to Portreath for the coming season.

Bundit you've come out with some random comments on this forum in the past but if you have managed to salvage Portreath from the ruins through your hard work and commitment then i would like to raise a drink to you :drink: Good luck to all at portreath this season :thumbsup:

Guest bunditheboss

thankyou for the kind words everyone and just to let everyone know, we will be keeping portreath alive this season, we will being keeping our combo side going and not entering a team into mining league.

a new committe was elected tonight.

i would like to thank all the players that have dug deep into there own pockets in some occassions and made portreath able to continue this year, i would also like to thank THE GREEN ROOM in redruth as they will be our watering hole this year and one of our many sponsors for this years campaign!!!!!

i would also like to thank andy mead who is in the background at portreath and offered his help this year if needed and say thank you to him and wish him all the luck and let him know we are thinking about him.

bring on ludgvan saturday, we cant wait to get this season underway!!!!!

thankyou for the kind words everyone and just to let everyone know, we will be keeping portreath alive this season, we will being keeping our combo side going and not entering a team into mining league.

a new committe was elected tonight.

i would like to thank all the players that have dug deep into there own pockets in some occassions and made portreath able to continue this year, i would also like to thank THE GREEN ROOM in redruth as they will be our watering hole this year and one of our many sponsors for this years campaign!!!!!

i would also like to thank andy mead who is in the background at portreath and offered his help this year if needed and say thank you to him and wish him all the luck and let him know we are thinking about him.

bring on ludgvan saturday, we cant wait to get this season underway!!!!!

Now we have a fixture tuesday the 18th !! you are at the worst pitch in Cornwall!!! :c:

Guest bunditheboss

ya cheers kempy, i love the fact that you are running us down, why not bother coming to our place and we will play you at your place twice if you that stuck up mate, at the end of the day we just want to play football, whether it be on a shit pitch or the best in the county which wouldnt be yours would it!!!!!!!

ya cheers kempy, i love the fact that you are running us down, why not bother coming to our place and we will play you at your place twice if you that stuck up mate, at the end of the day we just want to play football, whether it be on a shit pitch or the best in the county which wouldnt be yours would it!!!!!!!

Welldone m8 good luck for sat 3-0 win :smiley20:

Bundi, read Kempy's post again!

he is taking the piss out of Perranwell's pitch saying its the worst pitch, because thats what everyone says! not having a go at Portreaths at all

Darren we do have some very intelligent people on here you know!!

I do wish people would read before spouting off at me!

Bundi, read Kempy's post again!

he is taking the piss out of Perranwell's pitch saying its the worst pitch, because thats what everyone says! not having a go at Portreaths at all

kempy you be careful of your hammy on that pitch!!!

gotta be careful at your age

best wishes h :c:

Thanks H i watched tonight play vs Constantine and i may not be with the flag for a week or 2!!

We played with lots of different guys tonight and prob will be quite a bit different line up on sat!! we have got some good boys but a few were missing tonight! and Constantine will do ok i think in their respective league this season! :c:

Thanks H i watched tonight play vs Constantine and i may not be with the flag for a week or 2!!

We played with lots of different guys tonight and prob will be quite a bit different line up on sat!! we have got some good boys but a few were missing tonight! and Constantine will do ok i think in their respective league this season! :c:

kempy,some of them on here wouldnt know a piss take from ajoke,ohhh dear of them :clapper: :clapper:

kempy,some of them on here wouldnt know a piss take from ajoke,ohhh dear of them :clapper::clapper:

We do not have many guys who like yourself have been through the 11 plus that all prospective players have too at Perranwell!! I did pass along with one other but i couldn't play on a flat pitch!! so my education was moved to Penryn!! Good choice i would say as Truro school was an all boys school then!! :P

Guest bunditheboss

sorry kempy accept my apologies i am so used to people putting the boot in these days lol

we dont have a game saturday as ludgvan have used the excuse that they thought we were not entering the league and have let there players go play cricket, i dont think they could raise a side????

Guest bunditheboss

if you read my post above here then on the 10th i announced on here that our combo side is still up and going and everyone has commented on it, thats pretty well informing alot of people i am thinking, but not to make enemies coz i dont want to do that i am making a public apology to Ludgvan regarding saturdays games as i have been informed that the league informed ludgvan on sunday that the game was cancelled this saturday so luffy i am very sorry for my coments on here and i hope to see you soon to ahake your hand and say sorry to your face