Cornwall Football Forum

Big crowd expected for City's big match tonight

Thisiscornwall.co.uk ©

Truro City are expecting a bumper crowd at Treyew Road this evening for their top of the table clash against Windsor & Eton.

City currently top Division One South and West of the BGB Southern League by a point from AFC Totton, with the Royalists third, a further point behind, but with a game in hand on Truro.

And a win tonight would be a massive boost for City's hopes of automatic promotion and so avoid the lottery of the play-offs.

They go into the match in fine form with 10 wins out of 11 games in 2009 and have lost just one of their last 16 league matches, whereas tonight's visitors, who City beat 4-0 back in August, have suffered a dip in recent games taking just seven points out of the last 15, including a last gasp 2-1 home win over Taunton Town last Saturday.

City boss Sean McCarthy will be hoping defender Tom Smith, who missed the 2-1 win at Winchester City on Saturday, recovers from his back problem for the game which kick-offs at 7.45pm.

After this evening's game City face two matches in three days – at home to second from bottom Bracknell Town on Saturday and then a tricky trip to Paulton Rovers on Monday evening.

Ah, the narcissism of the internet, where thousands of people are apparently under the impression that millions of other people who don't know them actually care about they're doing.

The thread is obviously for those who are interested, or have something intelligent to say. Imagine what the forum would be like if we all visited every thread we weren't interested in just to post that!

They'd have to show our post totals with scientific notations . . .

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I hope that it is a big crowd and that they all spend lots of money... perhaps some will make it's way to those to whom it is owed !

Tell you what plainmoor, I think that Truro City playing games likes this is a breath of fresh air and I'd rather read about this than your spur of the moment immature remarks.

Now go away, go on shoooo! and celebrate the fact that you'll not be watching Southern League Premier football next season.

:thumbsup::yahoo: :thumbsup:

My own personal opinion is this: TC have acheived a hell of a lot over the last two or three seasons. I was at wembley and had a great time of it, no arguments. But, right now TC are in a state of limbo. Not until they reach Blue Square standard will they be taken seriously as a a better than average non-league side. So far, apart from the Vase sucess, the club's achivements are provincial at best.

Gates have shrunk somewhat this season but they will increase once again if and when fans realise the club can reach a higher level. If TC don't don't get promotion this season; interest will wane and the moment might have passed.

What a crowd 1119

Only sad people don't care.

What a BOOST for Cornish football.

Now get your locals off their asses EVERY WEEK.

I'm not sad i'm very happy :D But i don't care about Truro just like i don't care about a few other clubs. :rolleyes:

I'm sure most locals will be going along to their local games or playing for their local teams and supporting their local clubhouses :smiley20:

Never undertood why people post on forums saying they dont give a jot about something or are "not interested".

People who are not interested or couldn't care less wouldn't post, I mean Ireland won the Six Nations this weekend, I can't stand rugby but I didn't go on to a rugby forum and say I'm not interested or couldn't care about Ireland winning, as I generally couldn't have cared less.

On the other hand I consider myself a neutral about Truro, went tonight, saw some entertaining football for what was billed as a top of the table clash.

More of the same, and yep I might become a fair weather supporter who knows :)

I was interested and part of the 1119 who turned up to see a game that got quite interesting towards the end! Truro could have very easily gone behind and had their 'keeper to thank for a smart early save, after striking the crossbar Truro went ahead after a long ball was converted with an excellent finish.

Two big refereeing decisions had a huge impact on the rest of the game, a straight red card for a last-man foul and a penalty to Truro that was greeted with comments like 'thanks ref, how much do we owe you' from Truro fans. I'm not personally convinced that it was a professional foul but if the referee gives it then I guess the player has to go. I think it is safe to say that it wasn't a penalty either, but 2-0 up against 10 men at half time in a crunch game meant that Truro were in the driving seat.

However, Truro really needed to close the game out and didn't. They allowed the ten men of W&E too much of the ball and were undone when a triple substituion paid off and W&E pulled a goal back with a smart finish. Although Truro added a scrappy third seemingly against the run of play, they made hard work of the last few minutes after a penalty was awarded to W&E, it was as much a last-man foul as the earlier red but the referee issued a yellow. The penalty was saved by the Truro 'keeper who was off his line when the kick was taken and a new penalty taker stepped up and smashed home the re-take, which will be a bit embarrassing for the Truro 'keeper after the worst celebration ever. Somewhere in between a W&E player missed an absolute sitter before the re-take was awarded.

The game looked destined for a blockbuster finish, but a second yellow for the W&E full-back meant they were down to nine and possibly the worst ever bit of work from the assistant gifted Truro a fourth goal. It is a massive advantage to watch the game, the ball looked at least a foot out of play and everybody stopped bar the Truro striker who cut through a motionless defence to score. The assistant was looking the other way when it happened. Oh dear.

Truro didn't play well in my opinion but their finishing was crucial. I hope that they are able to make life a little easier for themselves during the run-in and capitalise on a lead. I honestly didn't think there were 1000+ there, although the match was delayed because there was only one turnstile open with a fairly large queue building. The ten or so W&E fans made as much noise as the majority, it's a real shame there isn't a little more atmosphere - it could be amazing. And to use a JUDGEism, W&E clearly had a moral victory by outflagging Truro! (Although it may not count for much).

I hope that Truro can keep on winning and get promoted. W&E didn't look like a table-topping team but I am glad things got a bit more interesting in the second half...

I was interested and part of the 1119 who turned up to see a game that got quite interesting towards the end! Truro could have very easily gone behind and had their 'keeper to thank for a smart early save, after striking the crossbar Truro went ahead after a long ball was converted with an excellent finish.

Two big refereeing decisions had a huge impact on the rest of the game, a straight red card for a last-man foul and a penalty to Truro that was greeted with comments like 'thanks ref, how much do we owe you' from Truro fans. I'm not personally convinced that it was a professional foul but if the referee gives it then I guess the player has to go. I think it is safe to say that it wasn't a penalty either, but 2-0 up against 10 men at half time in a crunch game meant that Truro were in the driving seat.

However, Truro really needed to close the game out and didn't. They allowed the ten men of W&E too much of the ball and were undone when a triple substituion paid off and W&E pulled a goal back with a smart finish. Although Truro added a scrappy third seemingly against the run of play, they made hard work of the last few minutes after a penalty was awarded to W&E, it was as much a last-man foul as the earlier red but the referee issued a yellow. The penalty was saved by the Truro 'keeper who was off his line when the kick was taken and a new penalty taker stepped up and smashed home the re-take, which will be a bit embarrassing for the Truro 'keeper after the worst celebration ever. Somewhere in between a W&E player missed an absolute sitter before the re-take was awarded.

The game looked destined for a blockbuster finish, but a second yellow for the W&E full-back meant they were down to nine and possibly the worst ever bit of work from the assistant gifted Truro a fourth goal. It is a massive advantage to watch the game, the ball looked at least a foot out of play and everybody stopped bar the Truro striker who cut through a motionless defence to score. The assistant was looking the other way when it happened. Oh dear.

Truro didn't play well in my opinion but their finishing was crucial. I hope that they are able to make life a little easier for themselves during the run-in and capitalise on a lead. I honestly didn't think there were 1000+ there, although the match was delayed because there was only one turnstile open with a fairly large queue building. The ten or so W&E fans made as much noise as the majority, it's a real shame there isn't a little more atmosphere - it could be amazing. And to use a JUDGEism, W&E clearly had a moral victory by outflagging Truro! (Although it may not count for much).

I hope that Truro can keep on winning and get promoted. W&E didn't look like a table-topping team but I am glad things got a bit more interesting in the second half...

I dont know what game you watched but it is quite obvious it was a different one than the one that I watched.

Perhaps you were one of the Newquay fans who went in the hope of seeing Truro lose.And what is the saying should have gone to specsavers.I got there early and there was 2 turnstiles working all evening.And why didnt you include in your report that Truro hit the bar with the goalkepper beaten on about 4 occasions.

Kit, I have watched Truro a number of times this season and the last line in my post should give an indicator to the fact that I wish Truro well and generally enjoy going to watch them play. In my opinion, I didn't feel that they played particularly well and felt that a couple of very generous decisions helped things along last night. Did you not think that was the case?

I try to provide an honest and balanced perspective on a game, to be honest last night I wasn't intending on writing a short summary but with the number of incidents and no feedback on the forum, I thought it would make sense to make the information available for everyone to read. If you have another perspective, feel free to share... I know Truro fans get a lot of flak on this forum, however, there is no need to get defensive with everybody, especially not those that provide information in good faith. I can certainly see why people get frustrated with matters relating to Truro at times.

PS. There was one turnstile open and a huge queue when we arrived at about 7.10. I'd imagine that this caused quite an impact with 1000+ attending, hence the delayed kick-off?

One thing I will say is that I dont think Windsor offered much at all. Truro were much the better team on the night and created many more chances than the opposition.

A massive win and well done to the team.

And my take on the controversial moments...

1st penalty decision - no pen (given)

2nd penalty decision - pen (not given)

1st red card - justified

2nd red card - extremely harsh

Well Michael Rabone I hope your happy with yourself!? How dare you come on here and not state that Truro completely dominated the game from start to finish and even played against the ref too as he gave everything against them and the bumper crowd created an atmosphere compared only with the Kop on a European night! Hang your head in shame and if it was I who ran this site I would have you banned isaac style!

Bloody hell KIT 65 folks are allowed to state a version of events as they see them. They may not be yours but why so defensive? Mike clearly states he hopes Truro get promoted and says he has seen them a few times this season so he is clearly not part of the anti Truro brigade. The game is full of opinions not everyone sees the same things, hell I bet you could find at least 5 different opinions regarding the game in the home changing room last night.

NOT EVERYONE DISLIKES TRURO!!!

Brilliant ninety minutes last night thoroughly enjoyable and full of incident, controversy with two sendings off penalties and some slick football, think the officials confused the hell out of each other at times as well as every one else and Truro probably had the benefit of the major decisions but that's football and we all have to live with that every week....I get along to TCFC as much as I can when my own team are not playing but having been to Treyew Road on a number of occasions this season it has been a pleasure to be able to watch football of this standard here in Cornwall.......I think the reason a lot of the home crowd are not as vocal as they could and should be is because they probably cannot believe they have come this far and there are always those who will turn up at ANY club if they are going well even if they don't necessarily support it - however the success of TCFC is being recognised around the various football circuits as I have found lately on my travels around the country even outside of the South West the reason it is not being discussed so much down here is due partly to the rubbish coverage on both TV/RADIO something that affects all clubs league and non league not just TCFC plus of course petty local jealousies. In other areas of the country like East Anglia most of the clubs there get a mention .....the local press here do a decent job of it particularly the INDY despite its many gaffes....but hey best of luck TCFC fantastic result last night hope you go all the way to the title - great attendance too last night - long time since I had to queue for a match in Cornwall- think the last time was at Mount Wise on Boxing Day- and a delayed kickoff to boot!!!!.

Guest Man on the Post

Bloody hell KIT 65 folks are allowed to state a version of events as they see them.

I agree entirely gillo 10, but likewise is KIT 65 not allowed to state his opinion of Michael Rabone's posting without being slated for doing so. Surely you would agree that we all have the same rights! :D

I do indeed agree that KIT can express his opinion but only if he read Mikes post properly.

"hope that Truro can keep on winning and get promoted". said by Mike

"Perhaps you were one of the Newquay fans who went in the hope of seeing Truro lose" said by KIT

Seems to me that KIT has seen a slightly negative comment or differing view and jumped on him as though he is anti Truro which he clearly isnt! All football fans of every club has to put up with folks that will not like their own club of choice but you cant keep fighting them all. :smiley20:

I went to the game last night just to see what the city following gloat about,1st half thought i was watching the old Wimbledon or new Liverpool,talk about route one,2nd half saw some half decent footie.Spoke to a steward about only having one turnstile open,he said they were`nt expecting such a big crowd :P.IF Truro do progress and they expect to be such a BIG club they need to start operating like one.Ijust don`t understand some comments from some users if City are critisised,awaiting your reply Somersetcity or is it Dave. :ninja: :ninja:

Nice big crowd, most of who wanted to see a good game of football or to see what the fuss is about. 400 City fans and 700 who popped along out of interest. Don't get carried away folks, City should be getting that sort of crowd every week, that is what the owner banked on.

Nice big crowd, most of who wanted to see a good game of football or to see what the fuss is about. 400 City fans and 700 who popped along out of interest. Don't get carried away folks, City should be getting that sort of crowd every week, that is what the owner banked on.

So the boxing day fixture you never drop was the consistant 400 average attendance that both newquay and godolphin have. :clapper:

saw the game last night and it was bloody freezing cold.game packed full of incidents.windsor could not really handle truro's pace they must be one of the biggest teams i have seen but this meant they were not very mobile, the fullback no3 was like an old fashioned centre-half but once the ball was pushed past him he was out of the game. in the 1st half they kept putting the ball in the air but had no chance of winning the knock downs and when truro broke at speed they could not defend it.truro deserved the points but it was a bizaar game, some of the decisions had us all scratching our heads.how the lino did not see the ball go out infront of the dugout was amazing.the penalty in the 1st half seemed harsh.the last sending off of number2 how could he expect to stay on the pitch when he grabbed hold of the strikers shirt and lifted him off the ground having already been booked. <_< good result for truro and i would go and watch again but,would not call myself a truro fan just interested in watching as high a standard as i can from on my doorstep.good luck in your quest for promotion truro city :clapper:

So the boxing day fixture you never drop was the consistant 400 average attendance that both newquay and godolphin have. :clapper:

Not entirely sure what you are suggesting above as it obviously isn't a sentance that makes any sense.

However, neither Newquay or Godolphin have ever claimed thay were going to have crowds averaging 400 or even a 1,000 as Truros owner suggested they should. Newquay have a solid fan base of 150 or so with 80 hard core who will turn up week in week out. A lot of our fans cannot make certain games due to work and other commitments, being a tourist town, it is never easy to find a 9-5.30 Mon-Fri job (not even I have one). Obviously, we are delighted that so many turned up on Boxing Day, most of who were locals but some obviously chose it as a 'match to catch' from around the county.

Cornwalls sporting fans are known for turning out on the big occasions, Twickenham & Wembley spring to mind, when most would not normally watch Cornwall Rugby or Truro City enjoy a nice day out. I just hope that the money the Man raked in last night finds it's way to the hard working local businesses who have been ripped off.

Can someone also tell me why PAFC are so determined to get back to local derbys with Exeter, Yeovil, Torquay and if they keep sliding, perhaps Truro in a few years time.

All in all I was happy with what I saw and shared my personal observations as a neutral who is interested in how Truro get on and is regularly reminded by Peppermint of the fact that I once mentioned I like going to watch Truro play! (how disloyal of me!)

Postman Pat is absolutely right about the W&E defence, there were some big old units playing at the back and I hope that they normally play a lot better than what they did last night, because they really didn't look like title contenders based on that performance. Perhaps it was just a bad night for them? Saying that, I guess a bit of credit is due for making a fight of it with one/two players down in the second half. Tom Smith was immense though, he won everything in the air, well, with the exception of a slight misjudgement that resulted in a booking and quite a few laughs from the fans.

I did hear that McCarthy mentioned in a radio interview that there were possibly three more red cards in the tunnel after the game when the W&E players were trying to have a quiet word with the assistant who switched off for a few minutes! Is that right?! I can understand their frustration because it was a very poor decision, but as we have seen referred to on another thread, being a sportsman isn't just about doing the right thing, it is also about accepting misfortune with a degree of professionalism and integrity.

I am still buzzing from last night's game!! Truro were absolutely magnificant and are getting stronger and stronger as the season progresses. Every player on the pitch was up for the game but none more so than Tom Smith. I think it was his best game in a TCFC shirt. Also, credit has to be given to Sean McCarthy for trying Martin Watts up front. He is strong, quick and tall; basically he is a defenders worst nightmare. What a game!

im was amazed when smith got mom. i thought he was truro's weak link. all very well winning headers, and making a loud noise, but he gave away the free kick for the goal and then the penalty with poor decisions going for balls which he never looked like winning???? his lack of pace also always worries me. i'd rather see power alongside ash and someone else at left back but i may be in the minorite.

i thought the two watts' up front were fantastic. especially martin who doesn't normally play there? good in the air and finished expertlly.

brilliant game, really enjoyed it. crowd were good and made some noise!! i'll be back soon when back down in the promised land!!!

Sorry TTom just a quick correction. The free kick for the first goal was given rather dubiously as offside from a goal kick (which we all know cannot happen). Windsor maybe wouldn't have crowded around the refs changing room after the game if they really thought about that. Was actually quite funny watching them pleas then their manager screaming "focus on Saturday" to them!

Kit, I have watched Truro a number of times this season and the last line in my post should give an indicator to the fact that I wish Truro well and generally enjoy going to watch them play. In my opinion, I didn't feel that they played particularly well and felt that a couple of very generous decisions helped things along last night. Did you not think that was the case?

I try to provide an honest and balanced perspective on a game, to be honest last night I wasn't intending on writing a short summary but with the number of incidents and no feedback on the forum, I thought it would make sense to make the information available for everyone to read. If you have another perspective, feel free to share... I know Truro fans get a lot of flak on this forum, however, there is no need to get defensive with everybody, especially not those that provide information in good faith. I can certainly see why people get frustrated with matters relating to Truro at times.

PS. There was one turnstile open and a huge queue when we arrived at about 7.10. I'd imagine that this caused quite an impact with 1000+ attending, hence the delayed kick-off?

Mike,although I am a Truro supporter I am in no way being defensive about the club.I just thought your initial post on the game was rather negative and concentrating on the refs decisions which we can do nothing about once they have been made.We see them week in week out and I have seen some really cruel ones go against Truro City this season.But as a football supporter we have to take the rough with the smooth and hope that at the end of the season they even out.

On the point of only one turnstile open.I can honestly say that I arrived at 7.15 and 2 turnstiles were in operation.I had to wait for about 10 mins but thought it was well worth the wait.I know Truro expected a good gate for this match,but not as many as 1000+.

I notice you have since put a second post about the match and is far more informative and what I would expect from a neutral observer.

im was amazed when smith got mom. i thought he was truro's weak link. all very well winning headers, and making a loud noise, but he gave away the free kick for the goal and then the penalty with poor decisions going for balls which he never looked like winning???? his lack of pace also always worries me. i'd rather see power alongside ash and someone else at left back but i may be in the minorite.

i thought the two watts' up front were fantastic. especially martin who doesn't normally play there? good in the air and finished expertlly.

brilliant game, really enjoyed it. crowd were good and made some noise!! i'll be back soon when back down in the promised land!!!

Cant agree with you on that one mate.I think Smithy is the backbone of the Truro team and should still be captain,what he lacks in pace he more than makes up for that in his defensive and leadership qualities.

It was a right old riot in the tunnel after the match, one of the stewards was eating a pasty and had it knocked out of his hand, he wasn't amused.

I heard the way the W&E management were talking towards the ref & lino towards the end, and also to the stewards who intervened, and was surprised any of them managed to even last in the dugout to see the 90th minute.

It appears the players were crowding the ref going into the changing rooms, and words were exchanged, some out of turn.

jazza the only one to mention that windsors first goal was from a free kick that the young linno gave for offside,and we all know you cant be offside from a goalkick,well he didnt know but he was told after,so if thay had not scored from that iam shore they would have gone to win with lots to spare,and the game i watched i think weplayed them off the park,but then what do i know :c::clapper::clapper: and plainstupid we dont care what you think u muppet :D

Guest Peppermint

An observation on Mike Rabone's comments re me - I don't know why I have been dragged into the topic but obviously my sense of humour is not appreciated by Mr Rabone!!!

Sorry I missed the match on Tuesday but I attended the Charity Dinner at Perranporth where Nobby Stiles was the Guest Speaker - and very good he was. Lots of money raised for a good cause.

young linno gave for offside,and we all know you cant be offside from a goalkick,well he didnt know but he was told after

That "young linno" is a prominent referee on the South West Peninsula League circuit ..... have I read your post right, are you suggesting he didn't know the law? :(

young linno gave for offside,and we all know you cant be offside from a goalkick,well he didnt know but he was told after

That "young linno" is a prominent referee on the South West Peninsula League circuit ..... have I read your post right, are you suggesting he didn't know the law? :(

[/quote

well i spoke to the ref assessor ,and he said he put the linno right ,so he must have saw that he got it wrong,and even the stig can get it wrong some times :clapper: