Cornwall Football Forum

From the BBC Website

Thursday 5th Feb

Truro stadium plans gather pace

Truro City's ambitious plans to build a new stadium and training facilities have taken another step forward, reports BBC Radio Cornwall.

It is understood that chairman Kevin Heaney has purchased a piece of land on the outskirts of Truro.

No official plans have been submitted but it is understood that the club have considered three potential sites.

Vice-chairman Chris Webb said: "Things are in place for a new stadium and they are moving along quite swiftly."

Webb added: "All options are open to the club, it's just a matter of two or three places where it could go."

There are no major stadiums in Cornwall, with the largest being Camborne's Recreation Ground, the current home of the Cornish Pirates rugby team.

"Cornwall needs a stadium for rugby and football," said Webb.

"We've got a great football club here, we've got a great rugby team in the Pirates, there should be something for those two sports."

Original plans for City and the Pirates to share a stadium were shelved in the early part of 2008 and plans for Truro to build a stadium in Kenwyn were rejected by Carrick District Council in June.

But despite the setbacks, Webb said the Cornish people deserved a stadium they could be proud of.

"We should have a sporting hub for Cornwall and it would bring so much money into the city," said Webb.

"I think it's about time somebody took the lead and that everyone gets behind the people involved to make this stadium possible."

Is this why the players had a pay cut?

He couldn't afford to do both.

Pay the players and buy the land.

i trhink its about time a lot of so called supporters of cornish football should take a long hard look at themselvs, kevin has come along spent his hard earned money took a non league club to wembly , raised the standard of cornish football to nation wide, inproved the field and club , the playing staff, and people stillgive cheep shots at him , after being involved with truro i can personally speak and say how hard the guys rob and ground staff, chris , and kevin him self, just get off their backs cornish football has improved because of truro city its a fact. if you dont want to support them thats fine but stop the rubbish that goes on , good luck the smug martin joe and jake i wish them the very best for the rest of the season and as a cornish football supporter i hope they win or get promotion this season , alan metters

"But despite the setbacks, Webb said the Cornish people deserved a stadium they could be proud of."

A Cornish National Stadium for County Games, both rugby, football, athletics, pop concerts, american football, etc - Yes, built and paid for by the County Council for everyones use.

Truro can have their own just for themselves paid for by themselves.

"We should have a sporting hub for Cornwall and it would bring so much money into the city," said Webb

One of the daftest things I've read. How can having a stadium 3miles outside of Truro bring in money into the city or did he mean (Truro)city having forgot the Truro bit. People would turn up, watch a match and go home. How would the city gain? Do you see those hundreds of away supporters shopping in M & S in Truro on a matchdays now, no, and even if Truro get promotion there won't be a huge increase in away support visiting Truro all rushing downtown to spend their pennies.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

The two biggest sporting clubs in the county are both in trouble, The Cornish Pirates forum reports that due to poor recent support, no away travel is now being laid on.

Ground sharing maybe an option and having noted the recent posting of the old Bugle ground, perhaps there is a solution after all. Perhaps the players will own a square yard of the pitch each at the end of the season.

Perhaps all the local businesses that were ripped off by Heaney might kick up a fuss and perhaps even take some action against him, or object to any plans that may be submitted in 3 years time or perhaps arrange for a blockade outside Treyew Road at a future home match. Nothing illegal mind you, I wouldn't want anyone to suggest that I promote any activities that may require the attention of the Police or Stewards.

Just a thought !

"But despite the setbacks, Webb said the Cornish people deserved a stadium they could be proud of."

A Cornish National Stadium for County Games, both rugby, football, athletics, pop concerts, american football, etc - Yes, built and paid for by the County Council for everyones use.

"We should have a sporting hub for Cornwall and it would bring so much money into the city," said Webb

One of the daftest things I've read. How can having a stadium 3miles outside of Truro bring in money into the city or did he mean (Truro)city having forgot the Truro bit. People would turn up, watch a match and go home. How would the city gain? Do you see those hundreds of away supporters shopping in M & S in Truro on a matchdays now, no, and even if Truro get promotion there won't be a huge increase in away support visiting Truro all rushing downtown to spend their pennies.

Of course the City would benefit,or are you too thick to work it out.The men would bring their wives and family and drop them in the City to spend all their cash while they visit the stadium,and then pick them up after the match.Another option would be for the family to travel there and back on the park and ride service.

Having seen the Websites & spoken to Fans who have visited Treyew Road this season it is clear that a lot of Southern league sides bring many fans to Cornwall for the matches .

Some stay in Truro and many others choose to stay in Newquay, Falmouth or in the case of Slough last weekend - St Agnes.

This is certainly bringing in much needed revenue to businesses in Cornwall during the winter months.

The further up the League Pyramid Truro go then more and more will be coming to Cornwall during the 'quiet' months as they look to have their weekend trip away.

Of course the City would benefit,or are you too thick to work it out.The men would bring their wives and family and drop them in the City to spend all their cash while they visit the stadium,and then pick them up after the match.Another option would be for the family to travel there and back on the park and ride service.

so fans travelling down from plymout/exeter/bristol/london to watch truro would bring their wives, you're having a laugh, they'd fill up a car with the boys and have a trip down, not bringing their families, and it would probably be pointless driving down to truro to go shopping!!

so fans travelling down from plymout/exeter/bristol/london to watch truro would bring their wives, you're having a laugh, they'd fill up a car with the boys and have a trip down, not bringing their families, and it would probably be pointless driving down to truro to go shopping!!

Who said anything about the places that you mentioned.I'm talking of towns and places in about a 30 mile radius from Truro.I've met loads of people who come and watch games at Truro who have dropped their wives and family in the City to shop while they are at the game.

:yahoo:

i trhink its about time a lot of so called supporters of cornish football should take a long hard look at themselvs, kevin has come along spent his hard earned money took a non league club to wembly , raised the standard of cornish football to nation wide, inproved the field and club , the playing staff, and people stillgive cheep shots at him , after being involved with truro i can personally speak and say how hard the guys rob and ground staff, chris , and kevin him self, just get off their backs cornish football has improved because of truro city its a fact. if you dont want to support them thats fine but stop the rubbish that goes on , good luck the smug martin joe and jake i wish them the very best for the rest of the season and as a cornish football supporter i hope they win or get promotion this season , alan metters

If all you so called truro city supporters that come on and put their views across were supporting the club in the south western league days you as a club would be further up the pyramid system than you are. WHERE WERE YOU ALL ? I have been watching local football all my life and have been to truro many times and i dont recall many truro fans at all . When your little pipe dream ends in tears i do hope you will all stand by the club? or will you all be at your homes watching the football scores come in on tv , I tend to think it will be the latter . All the best when you are in the combo

snooper,I take it you dont like Truro.

Crowds will increase in all walks of sport,if the standard is higher.

Why are you giving people grief,for watching Truro in a higher standard of football .

I watched Truro for years ,until I moved to Taunton ,15 years ago,and because they played local teams,I

never watched them much.

Now they play further afield,I have the oppurtunity to see them at away games plenty of times,and see a

decent quality of football.So what do you call me.?

If all you so called truro city supporters that come on and put their views across were supporting the club in the south western league days you as a club would be further up the pyramid system than you are. WHERE WERE YOU ALL ? I have been watching local football all my life and have been to truro many times and i dont recall many truro fans at all . When your little pipe dream ends in tears i do hope you will all stand by the club? or will you all be at your homes watching the football scores come in on tv , I tend to think it will be the latter . All the best when you are in the combo

the only good thing if are pipe dreams dont come true,atleast we woulnt have to listen to all the dribble that comed out of yours,ctb and the judges big gobs,silver lining and all that :yahoo:

the only good thing if are pipe dreams dont come true,atleast we woulnt have to listen to all the dribble that comed out of yours,ctb and the judges big gobs,silver lining and all that :yahoo:

Mr Mourinho, May i strongly suggest that you read your effort back to yourself, take a little time you might have to read it a couple of times . only 3 out of 10 for that , Try harder next time ,

snooper,I take it you dont like Truro.

Crowds will increase in all walks of sport,if the standard is higher.

Why are you giving people grief,for watching Truro in a higher standard of football .

I watched Truro for years ,until I moved to Taunton ,15 years ago,and because they played local teams,I

never watched them much.

Now they play further afield,I have the oppurtunity to see them at away games plenty of times,and see a

decent quality of football.So what do you call me.?

As you just said you were watching truro 15 years ago so you are not a glory hunter full credit for continuing to watch your team , Its people who jump on a bandwagon and try to pretend they have always supported them :thumbsup:

Come on Judge,why not give the best football club,best chairman,and the best football team in the County the credit it deserves,instead of all the jealous remarks.You know to well we are the only ambitious club in the County,just admit it.

Kit 65 Whats wrong with you pal are you short sighted or something , Best chairman ? Best football club , and as far as ambition is concerned dont make local football fans laugh and above all dont make a fool of yourself. truro are only where they are because of heaneys dosh its got nothing to do with club ambition . when we see silly blinkered comments like yours cornish football fans realise they never liked truro before let alone now , just out of curiosity how long have you been supporting the white hyenas or what ever the nickname is ? You might have to take up your nintendo 64 again when the combo is BECKONING . And oi you leave judge alone . come on Newquay!!! :yahoo:

Come on Judge,why not give the best football club,best chairman,and the best football team in the County the credit it deserves,instead of all the jealous remarks.You know to well we are the only ambitious club in the County,just admit it.

Kit 65 Whats wrong with you pal are you short sighted or something , Best chairman ? Best football club , and as far as ambition is concerned dont make local football fans laugh and above all dont make a fool of yourself. truro are only where they are because of heaneys dosh its got nothing to do with club ambition . when we see silly blinkered comments like yours cornish football fans realise they never liked truro before let alone now , just out of curiosity how long have you been supporting the white hyenas or what ever the nickname is ? You might have to take up your nintendo 64 again when the combo is BECKONING . And oi you leave judge alone . come on Newquay!!! :yahoo:

of course its to do with ambition you goon

The commitment is only there till somebody else offers more dosh to the "committed". Okay, there are honourable exceptions....Simon Fisher, Chris Webb, Neil Curnow, top name three, but the higher you go in football, the sounder a good Marxist anaysis based on underlying economic determinism becomes.

Unless , of course, we declare an independent state led by An Gof, blow up the bridge, confiscate all English (America's poodle) assets in the name of the revolution, establish closer diplomatic links with Libya and abolish the offside law, against which I have been making an ironic post-modernist protest for years. I'm talking of St Just here, of course. Whether all you northerners and eastcountry folk from the other side of Newbridge have the courage to follow our independent example is up to you ! :D:c:

Radix malorum est cupidatis ! Chaucer was right !

For your information mate I supported Truro City home and away in the 1950s 1960s and the 1970s right up until the time that I moved to Plymouth to live because of my employment.Since i've returned to Truro to live I have resumed to all home games and a lot of aways for the past 3 years.

Hope that answers your question.You want to come along and watch a few matches,you will see a standard of football thats never been seen in the County on a regular basis before.

"Vaulted ambition, which o'erleaps itself."

(Macbeth) :c:

Well done you are educated, have you got any more shakespeare quotes. Maybe you might like to take a placard with them on when you go to you next non league match where ever that may be.

Getting a Corrnish club into the National Conference is hardly akin to Macbeth twiddling his thumbs contemplating why he wants to kill King Duncan.

Still a lot of venom about, isn't there? I don't see the link between the wages issue (current) and planning for the stadium (post-credit squeeze future). Presumably the knockers would prefer Truro to go into complete hibernation until the recession is over.

To those who have met visiting fans who have stayed overnight (income for local businesses), I say that I, too, have chatted with such fans, some who, yes, did travel down as a car load of lads with no womenfolk; but others who brought the family down, leaving the women to shop (more income) and then planning a meal or evening in a Cornish pub (Ooh! More income!) before going home. And naturally as a club rises through the leagues it picks up support and incidentally attracts more away fans. Cornwall does have its unique pull, you know. "Fancy a weekend in Slough, love?" "Eff off!" "Fancy a weekend in Cornall, love?" "Ah....".

Glory seekers? Some. Others, though, who don't fancy watching lower level stuff (their choice but you and I know they can miss out on some cracking games!). This is why attendances are generally higher the further up the pyramid you look; though Truro are already bucking that trend with gates in keeping with a couple of levels up at least. Just browse the Tony Kempster site.

Conference or even Div 2 (old 4th div for people my age!)? Well, I don't think Truro would get gates any better than Torquay. There's another of my predictions!

I know Newquay wish it were them, Falmouth wish it were them - add your club's name as well. With Kevin Heaney's backing any of the Cornish senior clubs could be where (as it happens) Truro are now, and it would still be good for Cornwall. :c: