Cornwall Football Forum

Linesmen in the Peninsula Leagues

Guest Wilfred

i think its very hard to linesman where your own team are involved. On numerous occasions this season i have saw linesman bail out their teams with doddgy decisions. One linesman even approached an oppositions centre forward for his mobile number after the game, failing to get that he tapped him up on facebook!!! can you believe that? bottom line is, if your assosiated with the club, you want that club to do well!!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Can someone please tell our Lino that he can be biased on occasions, we are fed up with him getting decisions right !!! Seriously though, it is a farce but we have just got to accept the fact that the FA have stitched up all clubs at level 7 through various rule changes made 2 years ago.

The thread is about Linesmen (and women) or Assistant Referees if you prefer, got nothing to do with refs. My point refers to various rule changes, the Lino situation is just one. As for Senior sides, there are no more Cornish Senior sides now than 2 or 3 seasons ago and from what the FA boast, there are now 8,000 more officials up and down the country.

The FA have caused the problem and those at level 7 have been left to suffer.

i think its very hard to linesman where your own team are involved. On numerous occasions this season i have saw linesman bail out their teams with doddgy decisions. One linesman even approached an oppositions centre forward for his mobile number after the game, failing to get that he tapped him up on facebook!!! can you believe that? bottom line is, if your assosiated with the club, you want that club to do well!!

Wilfred This is a very serious claim! If you know the details you should name and shame these people.

Pick up the flag that might help the situation

Same old stock response, the thing is, I would cheat to help my club.... problem solved ?

The thread is about Linesmen (and women) or Assistant Referees if you prefer, got nothing to do with refs. My point refers to various rule changes, the Lino situation is just one. As for Senior sides, there are no more Cornish Senior sides now than 2 or 3 seasons ago and from what the FA boast, there are now 8,000 more officials up and down the country.

The FA have caused the problem and those at level 7 have been left to suffer.

It becomes something to do with referees if they are taken off junior games to run the line at level 7. Cornwall, if I am not mistaken, has one of the smallest amount of referees in the county and on many weekends struggle to cover all the games already. If these referees became neutral assistants in level 7 games there would be even less played. So it does become something to do with referees as well as assistants just a little further down the "food chain".

Why do club linesmen, knowingly, or unknowingly give decisions that favour their own clubs? In the long run it does not help the team to improve. Last season at Bickland Park, when the appointed linesman could not continue after the half-time break, I took the flag so that the game could continue. Falmouth were 1 - 0 up at the break and shortly into the second half Town had the ball in the back of the net, but as I was running the line for the Parkway defence, I saw Andy Bowker, in my opinion in an offside position and possibly in the line of sight of the Parkway keeper, so I put the flag up. The referee, who had blown for a goal, looked over towards me and disallowed the goal. Parkway went on to win the game 3-1 and I took quite a bit of ribbing after the game, but I could sleep easy that night knowing that I had not deliberately given Falmouth an unfair advantage. It is all about your own peace of mind. Town had a bit of a bad run after that and did not go on to win the league. Maybe they would have, if I had not disallowed the goal, but would they have won the league fairly???

Guest Peppermint

I was there reporting on the game at Bickland Park and can confirm what Quiet Man has stated.

He was certainly very good and was a real credit to his club.

The topic has generated some comments and all I would like to add is that most clubs have dedicated assistants who are very fair and Andrew for Newquay is in my opinion one of them.

When Newquay played Wendron earlier in the season I thought their assistant referee was simply outstanding - sorry I do not know his name but in the face of an heavy defeat he got everything right.

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for that information Soccer Follower - I am glad his name is now recorded because we are all guilty at times of blaming officials so it is very nice to redress the balance.

Kevin Williamson is certainly a credit to his club - well done to him.

Hi Darren hows it goin mate, Kevins lads both play mate and doesnt have another that refs that i know of! his boys are Adam and Simon, Simon used to play for us at Wendron regularly and still does for our first team when he is back from uni, Adam usually plays combo but has turned out for the firsts also

In regards to Kevin, i know he is our own linesman but have to say he is one of the fairest i have seen, of course he will make the odd mistake as all officials will but as a whole he is excellent and a top bloke with it

every manager wants his linesman to cheat even in the easiest of decisions.

You always get other linesman stick their flag up when the ball is punted long and the player not involved goes for it, he'll stick his flag up anyway.

i had a dubious decision when i was lino at millbrook v callington. i have been told by the league i am the most professional linesman so far this season, and i am not a biased one either. there was the incident where the player was in an offside position but they claimed he ran rom his own half, which he didnt, so i gave offside. during the second half and in the changing rooms he kept on shouting and swearing towards me and the referee, so i reported the club to the league.

the same before games, i tell the opposite linesman that i dont stand for cheats and know when someone is cheating i let them know at half time and inform the referee as well, i did this once against plymstock and the linesman was much more better in the second half after having words. so if you guys from newquay say things like this then thank you for the insight, and tell your linesman he better watch out.

Guest tafc.-gaffa

Ive come across some relly bad club linos but then again there have been some worthy of getting paid for it.

Its a thankless job as your never gonna please everyone but wish those blatant cheats play fair as it normally wrecks great games- you know who you are!!!!!

Guest Peppermint

I can't quite understand where you are coming from Callymike - no one from Newquay has stated our assistant referee cheats - far from it. If you mean the Judge's tongue in cheek remark then that was just humour!!!!!

Well done if you run the line each week for your club because assistants at clubs who give up their time are worth their weight in gold.

Judge what on earth is it that you do not understand, there are not enough referee`s registered with the CCFA for the referee`s secretary to appoint neutral officials to every game, football over the last few years has been losing referee`s at a fast rate until we now arrive at the point where there are not enough for all the games. this is not only a CCFA problem but it also effects all county FA`s. At the point the CSWPL League had the East and West divisions up and running it was obvious to all us officials that there just wasn`t enough of us to go around. So there has been no stitchup, it`s just a fact of life at the present and I for one cannot see it being resolved at the present regardless of the Respect campaign.

I'm not going to get involved in the amount of Refs out there cause the ones that are fair play and on the whole i think there are some very good refs out there! It is a shame that not more people want to become a Ref but I fully understand the reason. I have turned my hand to coaching and will continuing to do so when i stop playing in 10yr or so!

I may be wrong in what I am saying so please correct me if im wrong. One of the best refs I have had since playing in cornwall (which is only my fourth season) is Andre Howes. I could be wrong here, but I was informed that Mr Howes had to stop because of age. Now if this is the case and he still wishes to ref surely under the current circumstances he should be allowed, I highlight this as just one case and I'm sure its not the only one.

Guest Wilfred

A reply to Mr As' earlier comment about naming and shaming the linesman.

The linesman in connection with this illegal approach was the callington linesman.

He has posted on this post that he has been told that he is the fairest and most proffessional linesman in the league, and has gone around reporting other teams etc, but would they have the same view of him if they knew that he was tapping up other players on facebook? surely this isnt proffessional.

I have alot of respect for people who give up their time to linesman and referee, but this bloke has lost all respect from me. he comes on here calling himself proffessional, yet hes poaching players on bloody facebook, even quoting the money that this particular player would be offered....absolutely crazy. We even saw the facebook messages that were sent, as the player printed them out, very sly.

I think this guy needs to purely concentrate on his job on a saturday as alot of feedback from other clubs suggest he has made some very dubious decisions this year, very opposite to what he is claiming.

Judge what on earth is it that you do not understand, there are not enough referee`s registered with the CCFA for the referee`s secretary to appoint neutral officials to every game, football over the last few years has been losing referee`s at a fast rate until we now arrive at the point where there are not enough for all the games. this is not only a CCFA problem but it also effects all county FA`s. At the point the CSWPL League had the East and West divisions up and running it was obvious to all us officials that there just wasn`t enough of us to go around. So there has been no stitchup, it`s just a fact of life at the present and I for one cannot see it being resolved at the present regardless of the Respect campaign.

And if the FA had not introduced the silly rule for level 7 (which the old SWL was) then the CCFA would have found the officials from somewhere, as they had to for the SWL. Perhaps if we had 3 officials, this would at the expense of junior football, but we are talking about Senior football and clubs that represent the County in the FA VASE, why should league games be any different to cup matches ?

Stitched up ? kicked out of the FA CUP, left to suffer some poor linos (yes some are good, Wendron, Port, Nqy) and a cut in the potential grants available. Mr Manning, you are as funny as Bernard !

Callymike seems to go on about the Millbrook incident alot. I read about it in the respect the ref topic as well, now he's telling the tale again here.

Callymike . My opinion is that respect is to be earnt, you dont get it just because you run up and down a touchline on a saturday afternoon.

Remember your no different to many players who give up there spare time for free of a afternoon. should they get any less respect ??? All your posts are about one thing . YOU!

Now it has come to light about your underhand tactics on facebook as well . Personally i think you should be ashamed of yourself. Be nice to know what player was involved.

But i dont know why Callymike cant come on here and join in the debate of local football , sharing his opinion rather than giving it the big I AM . I have seen this ''wheres wally '' look alike and there is no way he would speak face to face with people like he does on here , Its you that should look out callymike !!!

Guest Wilfred

I tottally agree with you Mr A, couldnt have put it better myself. Its as if he wants a big pat on the back and everybody to recognise who he is, its as if he wants power. no respect for this man what so ever. Mr A if you want to know what player it was, why dont we leave it to the honest, fair and proffessional callington linesman, who has been informed he is the best in the league, to inform you of this player!? and explain his facebook and illegal approach antics.........

SAME OLD STORY AS MR MANNING'S......... NOT ENOUGH REFS TO GO AROUND !!

YOU CAN'T BARRACK THE OFFICIALS AND THEN COMPLAIN IN THE SAME POSTING ABOUT THE SHORTAGES!

ANYWAY, THE SELECTION OF FA APPOINTED ASSISTANTS IS GIVEN TO SWPL EAST AND WEST DIVISIONS FOR MIDWEEK GAMES WHEN THERE IS AN ABUNDANCE OF REFEREES.

WHAT WITH ALL THE POOR WEATHER WE'VE HAD, EXPECT THREE OFFICIALS AT THE END OF THE SEASON WHEN WE PLAY CATCH-UP WITH THE REARRANGED FIXTURES.

Just to add my 50p worth to the Callymike debate. All credit to him giving up his Saturday afternoon to run the line. Without him Callington would find themselves in having to ask a sub to do it. Not only would the lad be a sub but now also running the line. Now thats a kick in the teeth!!!!!

I think that Callymike should only concentrate on the line. There have been many rumours to him illegally approaching players and making promises to players. I know for a fact that he contacted the Saltash manager (via facebook) asking for 3 of his players numbers. Brazen or what???? With all this being brought to light perhaps the powers that be at Callington should just wind him in a bit.

Guest Wilfred

Jannerlad, im sorry to hear that this busybody has been hot on the heals chasing your players also....it simply isnt on. Like you say, i hope that the more senior people at callington have a word with the little boy, before their very credible team name starts to get tarnished!!

Absolutely disgraceful, Callymike !

So, when not tapping up the opposition, you tell the other club assistant before the game what you will and won't stand for ? And how exactly are you judging their performance from the side of the pitch diagonally opposite ? Are you sure your flag, when waved, is against the correct forward line ?

Good job you're not down west where all the mineshafts are !

Where's Wally ? Est vir qui adest ! :drink:

If CallyMike tries to tell our Lino what to do, he may find that those good Doctors at Derriford will be removing a flag from a very awkward position !

As for the 'tapping up' a player, you have to say that the methods employed by CallyMike are unusual but essentially no different from how things have been for years. How many 7 day approaches have been submitted prior to the player having been spoken to, I'm guessing very few.

I maintain, that Divs 1 E/W have been left as Senior footballs poor relations due to the FA rule changes. Would Torpoint have got lights if they had missed out on 'promotion' from the SWL ? Readsing the match reports in the local press and on the forums, you do not hear too many SWPL Prem clubs moaning about officials but it is a different story in Div 1 E/W.