Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results Thread

Here are this weeks fixtures.

Can you post your results, scorers and attendances plase.

Cornwall Combination League

Friday 26th December 2008

ILLOGAN RBL 0-0 HOLMAN SC

Att - 80

LUDGVAN 0-8 HELSTON ATHLETIC (Jason Robertson 4, Mark Goldsworthy 2, Darren Robertson, Graham Blake)

Att - 35

MULLION (Dan Stidwell 4, Chris Lawrence 2, Nick Slade, Ben Stidwell) 8-0 WENDRON CC UNITED RESERVES

Att- 60

PORTHLEVEN RESERVES (Aaron Collick) 1-2 PENZANCE RESERVES (Liam Devine, Gerran James)

Att- 96

Cornwall Combination League

Saturday 27th December 2008

PERRANWELL (Steve Brewer 4, Mike Brewer 2, Ieuan Boon, Jake Harvey, Adam Selly) 9-1 HAYLE RESERVES (Andy Withers)

Att- 65

PERRANPORTH (Brian Hawke, Mike Cain, O.G.) 3-0 NEWQUAY RESERVES

Att- 135

PORTREATH (Duane Britton, Rob Press) 2-3 ST AGNES Tom Benny 2, Matt Eddy)

Att- 29

ST DAY (Stuart Reynolds, Lee Duffield) 2-4 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES (Paul Wolstencroft, Wayne Hewitt, Ryan Harris, Stephen Kellow)

Att- 56

ST JUST (Neil Curnow, Tom Mannering, Stuart Nicholls) 3-3 PENRYN ATHLETIC RESERVES (Dominic Pullen 2, Stefan Churcher)

Att- 68

Illogan RBL 0 Holman SC 0

Holmans were the the better side in a match without any clear cut chances, showing more hunger and passion than a surprisingly subdued home side!

Adam Freethy, Tom Hogarth and Joe Cooper were very impressive for the away team and Central Defender Mussa was the stand out player for Illogan, who did look very strong at the back!

In a brave effort to find a winning goal, Holmans brought on Ace marksman Neil Pitt but without any quality supply he was unable to find the back of the net :P

Referee - Wynroe Heath had a good first half but awarded too many soft free kicks in the Second half and failed to adequately punish the more serious ones!

Guest TinHead

Mullion 8-0 Wendron (Nick Slade,Dan Stidwell 4,Ben Stidwell,Chris lawrance 2)

Solid performance from Mullion after failing to beat Wendron at thier place, after going in at half time 3-0 up Mullion didn't drop thier work rate and desire like last week,and carried on pressing to gain another 5 goals in the second half! Att about 50?maybe more,

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Perranporth 3 - 0 Newquay

M Cain, OG, B Hawke

Great turnout, I'd guess at 160

I think you must have been sniffing that deep heat too much Ronin, the crowd was closer to 100, maybe 110 at a push. 35 or so from Newquay.

Newquay gifted Perran the first two goals, Shanks completely missed a cross to allow an easy header, and a an own headed goal worthy of any striker made it 2-0 at HT. A quality 3rd killed off the game, although Newquay rarely troubled the home keeper, the battle was fought in midfield. A very leinient ref allowed foul after foul by both sides to be unpunished by cards, yet gave lesser incidents yellows. Perran deserved the win but on todays showing, the Senior Cup tie is not one that we shall lose much sleep over during the next four weeks.

Nice to see some friendly faces today and great to hear the Newquay fans and officials comments on yesterdays events, backing up the reports that justice was not seen to be done. Still never mind, one result does not make a season.

Credit again to Perran, nice little set up, great bunch of workers, look forward to them joining the SWPL next season, they will prove to be a force to be reckoned with.

Perranporth 3 - 0 Newquay

Newquay's hopes of preventing Perranporth from taking another three points were dashed after two costly errors in the first half. The game started on an even keel and although Gosling was able to whip in a number of trademark crosses, Adam Weller marshalled the Newquay defence and there didn't appear to be too much cause for concern. Newquay didn't create much in the early stages and seemed content to deal with Perran's long ball tactics from the back. Perranporth created a couple of half chances but did not convert.

A very poor five minutes effectively ended the game for Newquay, James Merrikin misjudged a cross which left Mike Cain with an open goal and he duly obliged. Within a matter of minutes Newquay went two down after another Gosling cross was turned into his own net by the unfortunate Andy Harris. You could hear a pin drop when the second went in, despite there being 135 in attendance the atmosphere really lacked any sort of passion given that it was a local derby.

There were a number of incidents in the first half that caused some tension, a very poor tackle from behind on Orrin Crowle went unpunished, yet Alex Aquarti and Shaun Lawrence were booked for minor indiscretions.

Perran looked a little off colour and didn't play anywhere near to their full capacity. Newquay created very little in the way of clear cut chances and were up against two resolute defenders in Justin Miles and Mike Cain. Perranporth finally showed a glimpse of their footballing ability when a great move resulted in a very tidy finish from Brian Hawke who slotted the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. James Merrikin made some very good saves in the second half and Adam Weller had a great game at the heart of the Newquay defence, keeping Perran striker Kayne Trevaskis out of the action for the majority of the game.

Newquay host Perranwell on Saturday and will look to bounce back. Perranporth appear destined to move on to a more appropriate level and it was great to see a few local lads still involved at the club.

Man of the Match - Adam Weller.

Phil Bunt has captured some excellent images from the game, which can be found here.

Nice report Mitch but it's JUSTIN Miles not Andy :)

Judge - nice to meet you and put a face to the name, as for me sniffing Deep Heat there wouldn't have been any point as I haven't been able to smell anything since I came down with a cold on Christmas Eve :D

St Day 2-4 Falmouth town

This game was an evenly contested game which saw a floury of goals in the last ten minutes. St Day started the brighter of the two sides creating several chances but again without the end result, even with penzance striker stuart reynolds making a welcome return to the side. falmouth were very physical all game and in the end ultimatley got what they desevred. their first goal came 8 (yes eight) minutes into time added on in the first half ( the referees watch probably got tired of his bias towards falmouth so added the time on until they scored) from a corner which st day failed to clear (although the foul on the st day keeper was missed by the referee too) and the loose ball was tapped in. H-T 0-1

in the second half falmouth made their presence of first team players show and got their rewards when, following a dubious corner deision by the ref (again), falmouth scored after the ball was cleared off the line only for it to fall to a falmouth player who made no mistake with his effort at the second attempt. falmouth went 0-3 up when a miss kick by St Days No1 saw the ball fall straight to a falmouth player who had only the keeper to beat, which he did with ease. Falmouth then had to replace their keeper after he dislocated his finger following a 50-50 challenge with stu reynolds. St Day pulled a goal back when leee duffield was released down the right and squared the ball for stuart reynolds to slam home from 12 yards. falmouth got their fourth goal when a rocket from andy miles was only parried by St Days No1. the loose ball was poked in by paul wolstencroft from three yards. To their credit St Day never gave up and got their second of the game when some good work on the left by substitute andrew pooley saw him release lee duffield who scored from a tight angle to make it 2-4. St Day had a penalty shout turned down earlier in the game by the dissapionting referee who was awfull all game.

Ref Watch: Tony Reynolds absolutley diabollical, thats being kind to him. i would love to be able to express how i really feel about his performance today but don't think it would be fair and the fact that this is not the place to do that. i did shake his hand after the game and wished hime the best for the season. he missed everything for us today even when casey adams stamped on one of our players he waved play on only to call it back when we were clean through on goal, when asked if he saw it he said "if i had seen it the player would have been sent off" yet he still gave a free kick to us. VERY FRUSTRATING. we have not had a good ref for months, and i hope that run ends soon together with a return to form from all our players. marks for the ref. A generous 2/10

crowd: officially 56

Many thanks for your support.

I'm away for the week next week so will not be on here to post our result. I am also considering my position in the first team at St Day but will still post results on here.

St Day 2-4 Falmouth town

This game was an evenly contested game which saw a floury of goals in the last ten minutes. St Day started the brighter of the two sides creating several chances but again without the end result, even with penzance striker stuart reynolds making a welcome return to the side. falmouth were very physical all game and in the end ultimatley got what they desevred. their first goal came 8 (yes eight) minutes into time added on in the first half ( the referees watch probably got tired of his bias towards falmouth so added the time on until they scored) from a corner which st day failed to clear (although the foul on the st day keeper was missed by the referee too) and the loose ball was tapped in. H-T 0-1

in the second half falmouth made their presence of first team players show and got their rewards when, following a dubious corner deision by the ref (again), falmouth scored after the ball was cleared off the line only for it to fall to a falmouth player who made no mistake with his effort at the second attempt. falmouth went 0-3 up when a miss kick by St Days No1 saw the ball fall straight to a falmouth player who had only the keeper to beat, which he did with ease. Falmouth then had to replace their keeper after he dislocated his finger following a 50-50 challenge with stu reynolds. St Day pulled a goal back when leee duffield was released down the right and squared the ball for stuart reynolds to slam home from 12 yards. falmouth got their fourth goal when a rocket from andy miles was only parried by St Days No1. the loose ball was poked in by paul wolstencroft from three yards. To their credit St Day never gave up and got their second of the game when some good work on the left by substitute andrew pooley saw him release lee duffield who scored from a tight angle to make it 2-4. St Day had a penalty shout turned down earlier in the game by the dissapionting referee who was awfull all game.

Ref Watch: Tony Reynolds absolutley diabollical, thats being kind to him. i would love to be able to express how i really feel about his performance today but don't think it would be fair and the fact that this is not the place to do that. i did shake his hand after the game and wished hime the best for the season. he missed everything for us today even when casey adams stamped on one of our players he waved play on only to call it back when we were clean through on goal, when asked if he saw it he said "if i had seen it the player would have been sent off" yet he still gave a free kick to us. VERY FRUSTRATING. we have not had a good ref for months, and i hope that run ends soon together with a return to form from all our players. marks for the ref. A generous 2/10

crowd: officially 56

Many thanks for your support.

I'm away for the week next week so will not be on here to post our result. I am also considering my position in the first team at St Day but will still post results on here.

St day's no 1, could you not sleep last night because "you" had a nightmare game your handling was not very good you kept palming the ball back to the falmouth town attack a good goalie would pull the ball into them and you did'nt know when to come off your line . so stop blaming the ref he did'nt have a good game at least he turned up for the game !!!!! :Santa:

St.Just 3 Penryn 3.

Another classic entertainment at Lafrowda, with three goals in the first 25 minutes and three between the 93rd and the 95th. Neil Curnow threaded a ball through after 4 minutes for Tom Mannering to score for the third home game in succession. Dominic Pullen, full of Christmas cheer and looking more like Big Daddy than ever, equalised from the spot and gave himself a standing ovation. Stuart Nicholls kept his cool to finish in the corner of the net to restore the St Just lead. After some Penryn pressure Dominic should have put them ahead from the spot again, but won crossbar challenge instead. The ball was retrieved from the cricket club where he booted it. A Penryn "goal" was rightly chalked off for shirt-tugging and there were penalty shouts at both ends before Dominic's third helping of brussels sprouts made all the difference as he fell on top of an 8-man melee in the goalmouth and trickled the ball home off his stomach for 2-2. Stecfan Churcher chipped an outrushing Andrew Curnow and Dominic celebrated the apparent turnaround by giving colourful advice to friends and critics in the stand whom he particularly respected. However, from the kick off St Just were awarded a penalty at the other end, which Neil Curnow calmly dispatched. 3-3, fair result, very entertaining. Attendance 68, one of whom made the mistake of leaving early. Good job Dom has no beard: otherwise there would be a lot of insurance claims in for burst chimneys. Tinners remain unbeaten at home since 31 August.

:drink: :clapper:

when a miss kick by St Days No1 saw the ball fall straight to a falmouth player who had only the keeper to beat, which he did with ease

falmouth got their fourth goal when a rocket from andy miles was only parried by St Days No1. the loose ball was poked in by paul wolstencroft from three yards

twice i mentioned my mistakes in my report if you actually bothered to read it properly. even at the end of my report i said i was considering my position as first team keeper. i have not played well for weeks, and find it frustrating as i know i can play a lot better.

as for the referree, i'd expect you to say something like that as you were not on the receiving end of it.

have a good rest of season!!!

I don't think you have to justify anything to anyone St Day's No.1 ... It'd be a real shame if you called it a day and I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to find a suitable replacement - keep at it bud, you know what they say about form being temporary! Everyone makes mistakes and if you could deliver outstanding consistency week in week out then I doubt you'd be playing in the Combo. I think that people sometimes forget what league they are playing in. I think you know what you need to do differently next time without anybody else pointing it out.

PS. I fully expect to see you in the return fixture so that I can see if your leg is as durable as mine!

Thanks mitch i'm sure i will be there for our return fixture.

It's easy for people to critisize others on here without actually knowing the person. I will not give up trying as i'm not a quitter. I'm lacking the confidence needed as a keeper at the moment, which is why i feel it is necessary to step down to the reserves for a couple of weeks to regain my confidence. It's no big deal, i would rather do that than struggle along in the first team (no disrespect to the second team either). I have not discussed this at length with the manager but will do so at some point during this week.

hope to see you soon mitch!!!

when a miss kick by St Days No1 saw the ball fall straight to a falmouth player who had only the keeper to beat, which he did with ease

falmouth got their fourth goal when a rocket from andy miles was only parried by St Days No1. the loose ball was poked in by paul wolstencroft from three yards

twice i mentioned my mistakes in my report if you actually bothered to read it properly. even at the end of my report i said i was considering my position as first team keeper. i have not played well for weeks, and find it frustrating as i know i can play a lot better.

as for the referree, i'd expect you to say something like that as you were not on the receiving end of it.

have a good rest of season!!!

Keep sticking at it Paul me old m8. Your a good keeper bud and we all make howlers I had a mare boxing day at Newquay against Godolphin. The week before I was the hero. If we make mistakes its a goal more often than not and people with no goalkeeping experiance will always try and criticise us when they have no clue at all as to what goalkeeping involves. Happy New Year to you m8 and may a few clean sheets be heading your way....

St.Just 3 Penryn 3.

Another classic entertainment at Lafrowda, with three goals in the first 25 minutes and three between the 93rd and the 95th. Neil Curnow threaded a ball through after 4 minutes for Tom Mannering to score for the third home game in succession. Dominic Pullen, full of Christmas cheer and looking more like Big Daddy than ever, equalised from the spot and gave himself a standing ovation. Stuart Nicholls kept his cool to finish in the corner of the net to restore the St Just lead. After some Penryn pressure Dominic should have put them ahead from the spot again, but won crossbar challenge instead. The ball was retrieved from the cricket club where he booted it. A Penryn "goal" was rightly chalked off for shirt-tugging and there were penalty shouts at both ends before Dominic's third helping of brussels sprouts made all the difference as he fell on top of an 8-man melee in the goalmouth and trickled the ball home off his stomach for 2-2. Stecfan Churcher chipped an outrushing Andrew Curnow and Dominic celebrated the apparent turnaround by giving colourful advice to friends and critics in the stand whom he particularly respected. However, from the kick off St Just were awarded a penalty at the other end, which Neil Curnow calmly dispatched. 3-3, fair result, very entertaining. Attendance 68, one of whom made the mistake of leaving early. Good job Dom has no beard: otherwise there would be a lot of insurance claims in for burst chimneys. Tinners remain unbeaten at home since 31 August.

:drink::clapper:

Hello Mr Beer, Happy new year to you,

Just had a chat with Dominic he is not registered on here. He has a message which I am relaying for him. If you are not happy with his pysical condition can you please talk to your mum as all the chocolate biscuits she gives him are not helping at all. He says you will understand.

Cheers

Cheers, Winno. I'll have a stern word with Mother. Given Dominic's shape, we thought he was a relative already anyway; and as you know, we like to play it very close in St Just. Even some of the ex-club president's cows have got beards now. Thank you to your partners at Chacewater Boarding Kennels for showing Rolo such a good time before Xmas. She's still walking round on her hind legs like John Wayne. Have a good one.

I understand next year's cricket professional is that slow bowler from Zimbabwe...... :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::drink: :drink: