Cornwall Football Forum

Goonhavern Withdraw!

Just for Home Waters - yes, okay, if a player with no previous disciplinary record gets sent off and subsequently doesn't pay his fine, the club has to be liable, he was on the pitch representing them after all. Must be rare where such a case arises, I'd have thought. The clubs and leagues (and CCFA) all know who the "bad boys" are, though, so a club signs one at its own risk. Not an answer worthy of Solomon, granted, but how it is. Mind, I do think there is a case for NOT making clubs pay fines for first-time offenders. Just ban the player until he pays up. However, for the Chopper Harrises of this world, a club should accept the responsibility for signing them on.

Tom - the point I was trying to make was, that sometimes CLUBS get unfaily treated as well as players. If a player with no previous what so ever slangs off a referee after the match he is done for bringing the game into disripute. The CLUB are also done for the same offence and they would not have been in a position to stop what happened.

Like the Goonhavern players they were in no position to stop what happened.

But the words justice, FA, rule makers, common sense do not often appear in the same sentence.

Fair enough! As to your last sentence, Home Waters, I agree. You'd think that the FA and County Associations would exist for the benefit of football; and surely it would benefit football if those players unfortunate enough to have signed for a club that resigns from a league were free to continue playing the game. I don't see how it benefits football to stop them playing. Too often you get the impression that the clubs and players exist for the benefit of the FA and CCFA!

Very bad timing decision should have been made before by the club, but..........

Dont remember the FA asking the likes of Ferdinand, Woodgate, Keane, Viduka and Smith being asked to pay up when Leeds went bust a few years back!!!!

Hope the players get back doing what they love on a Saturday afternoon soon.

The league now have a problem to sort out next June.

1. Will there be relegation from the Div 1 West meaning 2 teams will need to be promoted to make the numbers back up to 18 clubs

or

2. No relegation, 1 team promoted and the boundries moved again to include another team from Devon to make up the 18 clubs.

or

3. No relegation and only 1 team promoted to make up the numbers.

or

4. Reduce the size of the Division to 17, relegate and promote 1 club as per league rule.

Any more possible solutions.

Guest BooBoo

Having played a little bit for Goonhavern but mainly being an avid supporter in the clubhouse many years ago, I find it a sad day to hear what has happened to Goonhavern.

Going from tiny huts and playing on a cow field at the end of the lane I used to live at, to moving through the leagues and facilities to boot. This surely is what every tiny village club should be aspiring to.

I also feel that the local Fa should help where they can, fingers crossed the fine isn't that great.

Best of luck Goonhavern AFC for the coming season, I shall continue to follow your progress through the genius of the internet.

With the season now in full swing when will the SWPL be making their decision on the fate of Goonhavern?

Weston St.John who pulled out of the Western League Division 1 at a late hour have been dealt the maximum punishment of £1000.

This fine seems to be based on the previous season when Torrington and Biddestone withdrew and the Western League appear to be sending out the message of importance how serious this offence can be.

I live 30 miles outside London, therefore, I have NO knowledge of your local matters, the first thing I hit on was that the league required Goonhavern to indicate their withdrawal from the league BEFORE 31st December 2007, I assume things were running smoothly then albeit on a tight budget. How could Goonhavern know the events that later unfolded? they were not aware that the Manager's employers were going to change his work patterns resulting in him through no fault of his own having to resign, then there were the players 22 to 26 whatever signed on and only 9 turn up, a massive kick in the stomach for all those people doing their best to provide sport for the local community, I may upset some people here but there are NONE SO DISLOYAL IN LOCAL FOOTBALL THAN PLAYERS, that goes right across the country, two fingers up to people who are their friends and off elsewhere boozing it up on a Saturday night with their new found mates, it happens too often.

I have read all this thread TODAY, I think what has happened to those good people running Goonhavern Football Club is disgusting, let down by those they were working so hard to help, I think the League Management Committee should show common sense and any fine imposed on Goonhavern suspended for a year or maybe two, this would enable Goonhavern to consolidate their position in the junior ranks of Cornish football this season and should they not have any other unfortunate occurrences, the Peninsula League/CCFA wipe the slate clean.

When I played football in Cornwall I never expected paying or expenses, back in the 1950's I was glad to get a game, it was only when I joined the part time ranks of the bigger leagues in the London Area did I receive some (minimal) payment.

I think the NEW Non League Players Association (NLPA) launched this week will be the nail in many clubs coffin.

Good Luck Goonhavern

South West Peninsula League Suspend any fine.

Oops look at the time, How are Truro City getting on? must go to find out.

Have a good season folks.

Robin at Truro (Top Man).